Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Fri Apr 18, 2014 5:59 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Solving the Bandaged 3x3x3
PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 2:33 am 

Puzzle List and Difficulty Rating

Due to the direction this thread is taking I have moved my puzzle list and difficulty rating to the first post to make it easier to find. I will try to keep it updated with the nick-names we have given the puzzles. That way a search might bring you to the right puzzle easier.

The difficulty rating is my own only and I am trying to use a criteria rather than subjectivity alone. I’m presuming that most people will find things `a bit harder` when they have to diverge from how they would normally use sequences or use small setups, and `difficult` when you have to strategize, invent sequences, think ahead or use larger setups. It’s just for a bit of a guide for people starting out in the thread so they don’t have to tackle the most difficult puzzles before they are ready and become frustrated, so an approximate difficulty is good enough.

The list will also act as a bit of a record of the puzzles in the thread as a quick reference.

Quite Easy:
3 Slices, Fuse Cube, Big Block, 1x1x3 Block, 2 Bar, Edge Road, Corner Road

A bit harder (use known sequences creatively):
Belt Road, Stalactites, Unbandaged Big Block, Stalagmites and Stalactites (this is not too hard, just unorthodox), Detiled Corners Only Fuse-3, Bandaged Clock Planets other than Jupiter (are quite easy<>a bit harder depending on No of bandaged faces, Uranus might make it into mid range), 3 Bar, 3 Bar Clock, Mr T, Unbandaged Wall-i, Wall-i, Bandaged Loop, Unbandaged Flying Carpets

Mid-range:
Big Block Clock, Bandaged 3, Bandaged 3+, Unbandaged Big Block Clock, Stonehenge

Difficult (have to come up with a strategy and sequences):
Unbandaged YZ, Bandaged YZ, Fuse-3, Bandaged Fortress, Pendulum, Bicube, Cross Road, Double Block

Very Hard:
Bandaged Clock Jupiter, Alcatraz, Double Block Clock, Flying Carpets

Original Post:
Konrad suggested we start a thread for the bandaged 3 and it's one of a handful of typed methods I have lying around so here goes:

Bandaged-3 Method (Please note that I have improved my method for the Bandaged-3 after the influence of other contributors and this new method can be found in a post further down vv).

The bandaged edge/corner pairs on my cube are on White, Red & Blue.

1. Place white edges

2. Leave the blue red yellow block in the U layer and place the other 2 F2L edges, then insert the blue red yellow block last.

3. Flip 2 edges on U

With EPS:
[Green F, Yellow U] flip FU & RU with: D2 (R’ F R F’) D2 [z’ y’] D2 (FR’F’R) D2 [y z]

Or with FURU'R'F':
(a) Setup unflipped edges to UR & UB with edge 3cycle- [Blue F, Yellow U]: RU' RU RU RU' R'U' R2 and Red F, Yellow U: mirror L'U L'U' L'U' L'U LU L2
(b) Now with [Orange F, Yellow U] (unflipped edges are now at UL & UB): (R F U2) FURU'R'F' y' (Sune- RUR'UR U2 R') y (U2 F' R')

4. Cycle edges on U with a variant of Sune, Blue F, Yellow U: R U2 R'URUR' or RU' RU RU RU' R'U' R2 and mirror.
To switch 2 at UB & UR you can setup Blue F, Yellow U: (F L D2) RU' RU RU RU' R'U' R2 (U) (D2 L' F') and the mirror is Red F, Yellow U switching UB & UL: (F' R' D2) L'U L'U' L'U' L'U LU L2 (U') (D2 R F)
Note: If the 2 that need switching are not directly in these 2 positions then just apply the switch and complete with a 3cycle.

5. Corner Permutation (there is now no particular colour as U)

With CPS 3cycles:
[Bandaged pieces on FRD (FRD>UBR>UBL)] sequence: F’ (RU’L’U R’U’LU) F
and mirror [Bandaged pieces on FLD (FLD>UBL>UBR)] sequence: F (L’URU’ LUR’U’) F’
Solve any 2 of the 3 following corners first: [Bandaged pieces in FRD] UFL, URB and LBD. (Notice the pattern of their layout). And then cycle the other 3.

With 2+2 swaps:
There’s only 5 corners to place so it’s fairly easy to use a 2+2 swap to change a 3cycle back to a 2+2 swap. Make the bandaged blocks on LBD & perform: (BR ~U turn?~) (RU'R'U)X3 (~undo U turn?~ R’B’) or the mirror. Note this can take place 6 different ways.
Locate 2 corners that need swapping and place your fingers on them while you do a setup, watch or remember the other 2 corners and see if they will trade out when you position the U layer, if not, remember the colour of F and try another colour as F.

6. 2 Corner Orientation Make the bandaged blocks on RBD & perform: (R F2 ~U turn?~) [Note the affected corners are now on UL] Sune- RUR'UR U2 R' (U' y) Sune mirror- L'U'LU'L' U2 L (U y') (~undo U turn?~ F2 R').
Note: In some cases amendments can be made to the setup like (R F [U or U'] F ~Uturn?~) if you need to access a corner or if you are going to end up with non-adjacent corners.

Attachments:
File comment: Bandaged 3
Bandgaed 3.jpg
Bandgaed 3.jpg [ 29.71 KiB | Viewed 10367 times ]

PB 3x3 55sec Jan 2011 (When I was a kid 1:30 was speedcubing so I'm stoked).
1st 3x3 Earth (nemesis) solve Jan 2011 My You Tube (Now has ALLCrazy 3X3 Planets with Reduction)

Last edited by Burgo on Mon Jan 28, 2013 5:54 am, edited 6 times in total.

Post subject: Re: Solving the Bandaged 3
PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 4:04 am 

Hi Konrad,

I wrote a PM to you. In past I had a conversation with Burgo about this cube.
Attachment:
Bandaged3x3.jpg
Bandaged3x3.jpg [ 51.85 KiB | Viewed 10644 times ]

Hold the cube like the picture right/top.

Bandaged bars r/f/t l/b/d and r/d/b

then do R' D' R

The result is the picture in bottom. Memorize this.

Now you can solve it similar like a Bermuda Cube Mercury (without Fisher construction).

With EPS, CPS, corner orientating over the right top front position.
With the E layer you bring all 3 (E) edges to the front/right position.

(edit)
I thought that I solved it in past with Bermuda Mercuy EPS CPS methods, but I had forgotten how.
Excuse this mistake, please.

So I made a new solution method. Look to the next postings.

Cheers,
Andrea

Last edited by Andrea on Fri Oct 12, 2012 12:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 5:33 am 

Andrea, very nice to see 'EPS" and "CPS"!

As I wrote in the other thread, I tried Burgo's method a while back. Didn't take. Worked out my own method recently which seems similar to Andrea's. Although I don't have any bermudas, so I probably won't solve it like a bermuda mercury.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

1. Place the white-green and white-orange edges and the two white 2x1x1 blocks.
2. Place the 3 middle edges.
3. Place the yellow-green and yellow-orange upper edges.

4. Place red yellow blue block.

a) If it won't cycle home but the edges are still in a 3-cycle (meaning the yellow-blue and yellow-red edges need to flip), have one of them (eg. yellow-blue) in the middle and the other (yellow-red) on top. Turn upper face so the red yellow blue block is out of the way. Do F'UFU' RU'R'U to flip the yellow-blue and yellow-red edges in FR and UR.

b) If it will cycle home (and automatically place the yellow-red and yellow-blue), cycle it home.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

For the corners, I hold the puzzle with red up, blue left, white front and do a setup of LFL'. This puts the bandaged pieces in the same kind of formation as Andrea's. The next two steps assume this has been done.

CPS = URU'L' UR'U'L
Mirrored CPS = U'L'UR U'LUR'

5. Place corners. Turn the back face as required, and use CPS to cycle corners. I do the two at DB first. This cycles UFL -> UBR -> UBL, assuming the above LFL' has been done.

6. Orient corners. Turn the back face as required to put a corner in UBL.
Use CPS F (Dd)' mirrored CPS (Dd) F'
This twists UFL anticlockwise and UBL clockwise.

The method is simple and fun. I made some videos of the whole thing and spent a bit of time (hopefully) making things simple. Maybe they can help someone.

Last edited by rline on Sun Oct 14, 2012 5:31 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 6:37 am 

Thank you, Burgo and Andrea, for your posts!
Yesterday I wrote in the other thread
Konrad wrote:

Here you can find it in the museum.
All invisible cubies carry single tiles only.
This was quite a challenge for me.
Because it is mass-produced as well, I assumed that one can find hints.
I didn't see anything.

Maybe, we should start something in the solving forum?

Any proposals what you view as a nice challenge?
I had solved it yesterday already. That's why I wrote: This was quite a challenge for me. It took me a while to find my method and I'm looking forward to study Burgo's and Andrea's methods.
Sometimes I find it more difficult to understand the method of somebody else than finding my own.
rline described a similar phenomenon.
I will probably have not much time during the next week, though, because our little granddaughter is visiting us. :)

At the first glance, my own method is similar to Andrea's:
I started with the solved Hidetoshi Cube and produced a pattern with the three 2x1x1 blocks in the D layer by a move sequence X. I memorized this pattern and solved the scrambled Cube in four steps:
1. solve the D layer (as memorized before)
2. solve the E layer (as memorized before)
3. solve the U layer (as memorized before)
4. reverse sequence X

Solving the U layer was similar to the Bermuda Cube Mars.
I'll post details only, if I find my own method easier than those of Andrea and Burgo - what I doubt.

I think, we should continue this thread by posting challenging bandaged cubes produced with the DIY kit.
Either you can post it after you have solved it and think it is a nice challenge.
Or you post it when you need help.

Please, post always a picture describing the whole colour and bandaging scheme.
If necessary show front and back-view.

@rline: I was typing my post while you were writing yours.
Another method to look at.
Because you are referring to colours: Did you use the same colour scheme as Andrea?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 7:15 am 

Hi friends,

I changed my method for this cube a little bit.

I now use the white face on bottom. :lol:
Ok, some more changes.

Color independ
1) Build the bottom 2x2x1 block this includes 1 2x1x1 bar.
1a) Add a second bar with same color.
1b Add the last bar on down layer.

One 2x1x1 sticker of the bar of 2x2x1 block has color from front face.
The other has the color from left face.
The second bar has same color as right face.

2) Flip all edges with intuition :lol:
2a build the 2x1x1 block in lower front right position ( before you used this slot for intuitive egdes flipping).

3) Orientate corners with sunes. ( is shown in crazy cube 3x3x3 , or other videos)
R U R' U R U2 R' and variants.
4 Permute corners with (fused cube, domino, 345 etc, crazy neptune) sequence

3 cycle of corners with preserving the orientation:
R2 U R2 U R2 U2 R2 U2 F2 U' F2 U' F2 U2 F2 U2

now permute the edges with sunes. ( R U R' U R U2 R' and variants.)
Sune + mirrored sune causes a clean 3 cycle of edges without flipping.

last step:

R' D R

ready

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 7:57 am 

I used this color scheme:

http://www.hknowstore.com/locale/en-US/ ... ae82ecc773

For my method yellow on top, front=blue, bottom white

Cheers,
Andrea

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 10:53 am 

Hi friends,

I made a little video. Perhaps it shows what I meant in my posting

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yDgpuNdd8CI&feature=plcp

Cheers,
Andrea

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 4:30 pm 

Quote:
@rline: I was typing my post while you were writing yours.
Another method to look at.
Because you are referring to colours: Did you use the same colour scheme as Andrea?

Hi Konrad

I have used (and will always use) the same colour scheme as shown on the mass-produced cubetwist cubes.

white up, orange left, green right, red back, blue left, yellow down

My personal opinion is that since this will (generally) be about the bandaged cubes from the kit, it would be great if everyone makes their cubes up with the same colour scheme (as cubetwist).

I think we are still in need of some sensible naming scheme. I thought about it yesterday and gave up after 10 minutes.

Post subject: Re: Solving the Bandaged 3x3x3
PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 12:20 am 

Hi Friends,

If the thread is going to be about various bandaging of a 333, I need to change the title from `Bandaged 3` to `Bandaged 3x3x3`.

rline wrote:
I tried Burgo's method a while back. Didn't take.
I feel like I need to defend myself because my `method didn’t take`, but if that’s what people think my method is about (a system of rules for how I must twist the puzzle every time), then unfortunately they miss the point of my approach entirely. My method is my intuition, and that’s pretty hard to describe.. the only reason I put it out there is to share experiences, not to dictate. It's like Konrad said, we all have our way.

It’s often the `writing out of a method` that `takes away from the solving experience` for me anyway. When I have a fully developed method I feel obligated to recall it and follow it. So before I determine an efficient method, the solving experience is much more fluid, particularly with bandaged puzzles and latch cubes. I am free to make any number of differing setups and find something that will work for the given situation. Most times when I write out a method like that, it’s purely by chance what I will write at the time (depending on how I solve it on the occasion that I have a pen).

I’m not the kind to write out methods and keep lists, so sometimes I’m really glad for this site because it’s often my only backup if I do a really clumsy solve and know I had a better way.

We all have various ways of solving (finding sequences before, finding sequences after scrambling, etc.) and I hope all opinions can be respected equally. A lot of these bandaged cubes are trivial, and just involve setup moves combined with things we already know.. some are more difficult, I’d still like to hear all experiences.

Bicube Method
My cube has the CT colour scheme (as in the photo this time).

I found the Bicube was one of the more difficult ones, where an intuitive solve was not an option.

Now that I have explained my working method.. I remember having something for this cube and then forgetting it upon revisiting it.

I found some 3 & 5 cycles and figured that if I found 2 that overlapped by one piece (seeing as we only have 7 pieces to solve), then I would have a solution. On the revisit I found:

[White U, Red F]
(FRUFR'F') RUF'U' R'F'UFUR'FR (FRF'U'R'F') 5cycle
U2 L F U' R' F2 L' F R U F' L' U' L F U' 3cycle
These cycles are compatible and cross over at FUL. I used the 3cycle to feed the 5cycle, then cycled the 3cycle to finish.

After some more work.. I found some much shorter sequences by trial and error, but I just couldn’t get the cross over I wanted (I always seemed to get 2 not 1) so I looked some up on Jaaps (and seeing as he’s done all the work, it saved me slugging it out further with trial and error).

In the end I settled for these:
[White U, Red F]
UL F2 (R' F' R) UF'L' U2 3cycle
(UF RU) F' U2 R' 5cycle
The cross over is UBL and there is a nice `easy to visualise` progression for the 5cycle.

In the end I think I was happy for someone else to help with some of the `leg work` for a change (after I’d nutted out the method and knew the algos I was looking for). And this time I wrote it down.

Cheers,
Burgo.

Attachments:
File comment: Bandaged Bicube
Bicube.jpg
Bicube.jpg [ 19.16 KiB | Viewed 10470 times ]

1st 3x3 Earth (nemesis) solve Jan 2011 My You Tube (Now has ALLCrazy 3X3 Planets with Reduction)

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 1:07 am 

No need to defend yourself Burgo. I was merely stating my experience...You can interpret "method didn't take" as "too dumb to get it". :cry:

I should probably also say that I've had many conversations with Burgo about solving various puzzles. This was one of the very very few that "didn't take".

I'm in two minds about this thread. I'm really interested in it, but (as an example) I haven't been able to solve the bicube yet, so I don't want to read any posts about that...but I want to stay in the loop. :?

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 1:42 am 

Location: In my study drooling over my puzzle hoard - Precioussssss!
Andrea wrote:
Hi friends,

I made a little video. Perhaps it shows what I meant in my posting

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yDgpuNdd8CI&feature=plcp

Cheers,
Andrea

I am blown away by this video! Despite all the practice I have had and all the cubes I have solved during my year long cube odyssey, I have absolutely no idea how you worked that out!

I bought my Hidetoshi cube a year ago from Rline and have been to frightened to play with it! But I have scrambled it (to get ready for the arrival of the kit) and I was quite right with my fear! :shock: I find myself blocked every time I attempt something!

I would rather work it out for myself but having quickly watched this video, I seriously doubt that I will ever manage to do a bandaged cube unaided! Maybe the kit wasn't such a good idea after all?)

Once again I find myself in awe at the genius displayed on this forum!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 3:12 am 

Just to be clear too, I’m not offended rline. I just understand that something like the way I might set out to permute the corners on the Bandaged 3 would seem awkward to most others, and I felt self-conscious enough to explain my reasoning (I was doing a similar thing on the Bermudas). I seriously doubt that anyone else would want to do it like that, but it’s very familiar for me.

I wanted to explain my working methods so that hopefully people might be a bit forgiving of things that might seem clunky. I think I got really good at testing and undoing setups on an RC from the old CCL days with the Crazy333s and it just stuck. Some people will remember the setups involved with the Crazy Megaminx CCL!

Are the Bolded headings enough to avoid a spoil or do you think we need to go to highlighted spoilers? If you want I’ll go back and hide everything.
Puzzlemad wrote:
Maybe the kit wasn't such a good idea after all?
Don't be silly Kevin, the bandaged kit will be the best thing you ever bought.. it will force you to think outside the square with what you already know and you can ease yourself into it. You don't have to start off with complex bandaging that blocks every twist.. you can start by bandaging one edge to one corner! Then add another corner to have a corner/edge/corner block, and so on.

A nice adaption of Domino sequences to permute the corners Andrea! (I just watched your video too).

Cheers,
Burgo.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 4:22 pm 

Hi Andrea, Burgo and all others interested,
as it seems the townsfolk of Crazy Village moved to the Bermuda triangle and from there to the lands of the 3.563 bandaged 3x3x3s. :lol:

Little granddaughter is sleeping and I could steal some time…
I looked at Andrea's and Burgo's methods, but not yet at rline's.
Andrea's method is close to mine, but because some details differ it might be interesting if I show my sequences.
Andrea's method for 3-cycling corners is quite clever. I have a shorter sequence but it permutes and flips edges as well.
I had found a similar sequence R2 U R2 U R2 U2 R2 U2 R2 U R2 U R2 U2 R2 U2 for a pure edge 3-cycle on the U layer, but I did not recognize that Andrea's sequence from the Fused Cube works as well.

Burgo's method is not so easy to pick up. It shows his ingenious, creative and intuitive style. Visually less gifted puzzlers like me may have difficulties performing it. :roll: (Especially the corner permutation is somewhat harder than in Andrea's or my method. And rline uses - naturally - CPS. I admire how much he can do based on the Ultimate Solution!)

Looking backwards at my first steps, I was a bit blocked by some similarity between Hidetoshi's Bandaged 3 and the Bicube.
I had got the Bicube from Meffert's in the late 90s and solved it then after looking up a solution in the Internet (I was a busy manager of Operating Systems at that time.)
The Bandaged 3 is less bandaged but looks a bit similar and I hoped to use some sequences I recollected from solving the Bicube.
This did not work.

When I asked Andrea in a PM, if she knew the Bandaged 3, she did not recognize immediately that she had solved this Cube some time ago.
So I continued my trials and had a breakthrough not much later: I recognized that a specific arrangement of the three 2x1x1 blocks in one layer gave me the freedom to use move sequences known to me from solving the Bermuda Cubes.
The pattern I came up with is this (I used strange colours to show that the colours do not really matter):

Later I saw that Andrea uses an almost identical pattern, it is just mirrored.
In my following diagrams I use this pattern on the white D layer. My colour scheme is identical to the one of the mass-produced bandaged 3 by Hidetoshi Takeji (as in Andrea#s and Burgo's descriptions).
All diagrams show all six faces – left is the front- right the back-view.
You can click onto the picture to enlarge it.

Diagram 2. shows my target derived from diagram 1. by the three moves F D F'.
I show the result of my sequences when they are performed on a solved cube after setup moves. (diagram 2. or diagram 5.)

I. I solve the D layer intuitively (easy).
II. I solve the E layer by usual 3x3x3 sequences: I turn E to get the target slot into FR. E.g. I do U R U' R' U' F' U F to place edge UF into the slot FR
III. I place the U layer corners (shown in diagram 6.)
IV. I flip the U layer edges by a sequence leaving the corners in place (diagram 7.)
V. I orientate the corners by Sune / Antisune & mirrored Sune / Antisune (diagram 8.)
VI. I cycle the edges by Sune mirrored Sune (diagram 9.) (R U' R U R U R U' R' U' R2 (11 moves) is shorter but I prefer somehow the familiar Sune / Antisune)

Alternatively you can cycle edges by:
R2 U R2 U R2 U2 R2 U2 R2 U R2 U R2 U2 R2 U2 (16 moves) as shown here:

I hope that I made no typos and that my pictures may help somebody.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 5:50 pm 

This morning I had a go at CPS on the bandaged 3 and found that a single setup move allows it’s application so I added it to my initial post. Unfortunately this makes the solve too easy :lol: , I don’t know why I didn’t look for that before, thanks for suggesting it rline!

Nice Corner Permutation too Konrad (essentially hiding a corner during a Sune), I tried it in my solve but because of the initial setups we are permuting my solved edges (as expected). Interesting to see how different solves require the preservation of different pieces, so adapting sequences isn’t always successful. I also copied your picture to my post instead of the Museum picture because it matches my colour scheme.

Cheers,
Burgo.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 4:12 am 

I find it interesting too that we have four different methods now for the Bandaged 3.
(I hope I'll find the time to post some comments on rline's method soon).
I'm pretty sure that with a different stickering we would have been less creative.
Look at the re-stickered version of my target pattern above (at the right side).
Most people would look here for F2L and U layer last and view this quite natuarally.

Maybe, this tile arrangement would help to understand Andrea's and my methods better. The colour scheme would be plainly obvious.
I view the two methods of Andrea and me as pretty similar. Just the middle part is different.

If we want to describe other bandaged 3x3x3s, we do not need to understand a complex naming scheme (I admitt that I have not yet looked at Andreas's hexadecimal scheme): Just post a picture showing all six faces and put the face letters on them.

I have made so far the mass-produced "Big Block" and the "3 Slices" cubes. I found those much easier than the Bandaged 3.(I doubt that CPS will help much on those.
Looking back, the Bandaged 3 was not so hard, after I had an essential idea. :) As in many cases.)

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 6:05 am 

Hi all

I have made some edits to my first post above (the 3rd post in the thread). I'm a little embarrassed because there were a few errors in the text of what I wrote. I have corrected these now and made things a little more explicit.

I want to echo what I wrote earlier:
Quote:
The method is simple and fun. I made some videos of the whole thing and spent a bit of time (hopefully) making things simple. Maybe they can help someone.

I stand by this. The problems are in my attention to detail in the text. The method is fine and the videos are your best bet for seeing this and deciding whether it's for you. And that will always be true for me: the easiest way to see and understand the method I use will be the videos.

Puzzlemad wrote:
I bought my Hidetoshi cube a year ago from Rline and have been to frightened to play with it!

Kevin, the fact that I sold this cube to you a year ago (I'd forgotten it was you) and have now made a method I like with it, should give you hope!

Puzzlemad wrote:
I seriously doubt that I will ever manage to do a bandaged cube unaided!

Burgo's exactly right. Make a 2x1x1 bandaged block. Now solve the cube. There. You did a bandaged cube unaided.

Burgo wrote:
Are the Bolded headings enough to avoid a spoil or do you think we need to go to highlighted spoilers?

I think the bolded headings are fine. I did at least have the presence of mind to not look at your description when I saw it was about the bicube.

Konrad wrote:
I have made so far the mass-produced "Big Block" and the "3 Slices" cubes. I found those much easier than the Bandaged 3.(I doubt that CPS will help much on those.

I can confirm (being someone who would at least have tried CPS on everything :lol: ) that CPS is impossible on the Big block, but is perfectly usable on the 3-slices cube. More on that later.

I've made and tried all 6 of the mass-produced 3x3x3 bandaged cubes, and I'd place their order of difficulty as (going from easiest to hardest)

2-bar
3-slices
fuse
big block
bandaged 3 hidetoshi
bicube

Of course, everyone's order may be different due to their different solving approaches.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 6:12 am 

Hi Konrad,

With that colour scheme on the puzzle (for LL) I’d have gone straight to Ultimate EPS sequences to orientate edges, Sune to orientate corners and Domino Algos to Permute Corners and Edges.

I have a little Corner Permutation Sequence I use on the Fuse Cube: (R2 U R2 U’ R2) (F2 U’ F2 U F2) U’ . When I do my edge permutations I repair the E layer. But you don’t even need that: (R2 U R2 U’ R2) U’D (R2 U’ R2 U R2) D’ passes right over it.

Interesting.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 8:03 am 

rline wrote:
....I've made and tried all 6 of the mass-produced 3x3x3 bandaged cubes, and I'd place their order of difficulty as (going from easiest to hardest)

2-bar
3-slices
fuse
big block
bandaged 3 hidetoshi
bicube

Of course, everyone's order may be different due to their different solving approaches.
I do not know the 2-bar and couldn't find it at hknowstore or via Google. I quite agree with you putting the Bicube at the end of this list and the Bandaged 3 just before it. (I will compare my Bicube method with Burgo's, when I will have more time.)
I perceived the two, Big block and 3-slices as quite similar and easy, the Fused Cube a bit harder.

So, I had a look at rline's method and looked at his videos.
I think he made a quite clever use of EPS / CPS. The text is pretty short compared with the detailed videos.
So, if you like solution videos, you are probably better off with his video link.
As in the Ultimate Solution, the trickiest part was for me to build the yellow cross while putting the red/blue/yellow block to his correct location.

I'm of course a bit biased, but if you ask me how I would order the four methods from easy to hard, this my list:
Andrea
Konrad
rline
Burgo
I can quote rline directly
Quote:
:wink: Maybe, Burgo's is easier now, since he as adopted the CPS method. (I looked at it yesterday).
Yesterday I found the corner permutation by 2-2 swaps not so easy.

I view Andrea's and my methods as being similar, but assume that flipping the edges first and doing a 3-cycle of corners without flipping the edges again looks more natural.
I think, I was lucky that Andrea did not recognize the Puzzle when I asked about it. :wink: This gave me chance to solve it on my own. It was a good experience to see how I was distracted by the similarity to the Bicube for quite a while and how simple things fell into place after breaking this mental block.

Thank you all for your contributions. I just checked that Google shows the right links if you type "how to solve bandaged 3" :D

EDIT:
@puzzlemad: Kevin, I have not much to add to Burgo's and rline's words, but I want to encourage you as well.
The DIY allows you to start with a solved cube whenever you like. So you can relax.
If you like Andrea's or my approaches, you could do the setup moves on an ordinary 3x3x3 and have visualized the target pattern. That makes it visually quite easy. Not much different from my re-stickered version above. :wink:

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 4:32 am 

Quote:
I do not know the 2-bar and couldn't find it at hknowstore or via Google.

http://www.hknowstore.com/locale/en-US/ ... 06b4341c8d

Quote:
I quite agree with you putting the Bicube at the end of this list and the Bandaged 3 just before it.

What I'm looking forward to is at some point in the future, some wise person will suggest a bandaged variant that hasn't yet been made that looks like it will be a reasonable challenge. I guess if it's somewhere in the same region as the bandaged 3 cube that might be good.

Quote:
Big block and 3-slices as quite similar and easy, the Fused Cube a bit harder

The only reason I have placed the big block after the fuse cube is because I'm having trouble finding a nice easy corner orientation using only the ultimate solution. Actually I have found a way to do it but it hasn't yet caused me to go "That's the one!" about it.

The other thing I would welcome some discussion on is exactly what aspects of the bandaging cause a particular bandaged cube to be harder or easier than other bandaged cubes. I guess the 1st thing would be the amount of bandaging, but there must be more to it than that.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 3:51 pm 

Does somebody know who invented the Bicube = Bandaged Cube?
Mefferts just calls it The Bandage Cube
I got two of them, probably 10 - 15 years ago and I used a solution on the Meffert's site, obviously written by Jaap.
I'm pretty sure that I would not have been able to solve it at that time (due to a lack of time and knowledge)

hknowstore calls it CT 3X3X3 BICUBE.
(I'm not sure what the abbreviation CT means, but I think it is the name of the colour scheme.)
Burgo introduced into this thread. I find his idea very clever. I'll talk a little bit more about it in the [Spoiler] section.
rline wants to try it on its own, therefore I hide all solution oriented stuff inside the spoiler brackets.
I cannot avoid that a picture shows up there, but I do not think that it gives much away.

A TP Museum search does not find it using "Bicube" or "Bandage Cube".
hknowstore shows all six faces by these photos

The Meffert's colour scheme is completely different

I made a Bicube with the DIY kit that reflects the hknowstore colour scheme for black body.

[Spoiler]
I cannot offer an own solution, mine is exactly described as solution 2 on his puzzle page
http:<slash> <slash> www<dot>jaapsch.net/puzzles/bandage.htm#solution2
Jaap's solution 1 uses more move sequences but solution 2 is easier to memorize.

Burgo has added a very clever idea to feed a 5-cycle by a 3-cycle where the 3-cycle feeds the 5-cycle.
I'm pretty sure that this is visually harder than Jaap solution 2. I will call them from now just Burgo'S and Jaap'S.
In both cases two sequences are used, a 5-cycle and a 3-cycle.
The 5-cycles are identical, but Jaap'S 3-cycle has an overlap of three pieces.
Burgo says that only seven pieces need to be solved.
This picture below shows what he means. This is the standard configuration you have to achieve in a first step.
Jaap explains this first step as well. My notes just said: Do it intuitively. I do not think that expert twisty puzzles need any hint to reach this pattern:

The numbered pieces 1 to 5 as they are cycled 1 ->2-> 3-> 4-> 5 -> 1 by the Jaap'S 5-cycle.
Burgo wrote:
In the end I settled for these:
[White U, Red F]
UL F2 (R' F' R) UF'L' U2 3cycle
(UF RU) F' U2 R' 5cycle
The cross over is UBL and there is a nice `easy to visualise` progression for the 5cycle.

Jaap'S 5-cycle is written F R U F R' F2 U'.
Jaap'S introduces a rotation C of the whole cube around the single corner at UFR in a clockwise manner while A is the anticlockwise rotation.
Jaap'S makes very clever use of the fact that this 3-cycle can always be performed in the standard configuration as long as the single corner is at UFR
A F R U F R' F2 U' C is identical to Burgo'S 5cycle.
[/Spoiler]

Last edited by Konrad on Wed Oct 17, 2012 5:01 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 4:06 pm 

Konrad wrote:
(I'm not sure what the abbreviation CT means

Does it stand for Cubetwist?

3x3:27.34
4x4: 2:21
Rubiks Clock: 23sec
Floppy Cube: 4.5sec
2x2: 8.64sec (single)
2x2: 11.78(Average of 5)
Magic-0.91 (Single)

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 4:19 pm 

KozehCubes wrote:
Konrad wrote:
(I'm not sure what the abbreviation CT means
Does it stand for Cubetwist?
Aah, you are certainly right. I thought that it stands for a colour scheme because of this
Burgo wrote:
My cube has the CT colour scheme (as in the photo this time).
Cubetwist colour scheme just means that Cubetwist uses the (nowadays) usual colour scheme white opposite yellow, red opposite orange, green opposite blue. How obvious :oops:

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 2:55 am 

Bandaged 3

After the influence of other contributors and their methods, I have reworked my own method and cut my time and effort down substantially. I think it’s worth a post to put down my exact derived method (I think there’s enough variation in the sequences and timing of the setup to warrant it). The method I originally posted is from about a year ago, so it’s been nice to revisit this cube and have a conversation and find a nicer method. In the end there’s very little difference to an RC solve and saving the setup till step 3 saves memorizing a predetermined configuration:

[Blue face as F, and Yellow as U] CT colour scheme.

1. Solve the white edges. I usually try to put the bandaged edges into position as early as manageable to save them blocking things up.

2. Solve the last bandaged edge (red, blue, yellow).

3. Do either of Konrad’s F D F’ or Andrea’s R’ D’ R setups, totally irrelevant which one. Doing this at this stage allows you to `not memorize any predetermined pattern`.

4. Solve the other 3 E layer edges with D twists (or better said: UW twists) and R U’ R’ or L’ U L twists.

5. Place the matching corner under the white edge in the E slot with F2L. Either: U’ R U’ R’ U2 R U’ R’ or it’s mirror or (R U R’ U’)x3, depending on the orientation of the corner. They are some of the most basic and intuitive of the F2Ls, and if you don't know F2L you should try these. Standard RC.

6. Orientate 2 edges with (y) and just FURU’R’F’ or FRUR’U’F’ (y’), standard RC.

7. Orientate corners with Sune / (y) Sune Mirror (y’), standard RC.

8. Permute Corners with (R2 U R2 U’ R2) U’ D (R2 U' R2 U R2) D’, standard domino.

9. Permute Edges with RU’ RU RU RU’ R’U’ R2 or (y) mirror (y'), standard RC, or (R2 U2)x2 R2 U (R2 U2)x2 R2 standard domino.

10. Undo the setup F D’ F’ or R D R’.

Thanks all contributors,
Cheers,
Burgo.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 6:41 am 

Konrad wrote:
Does somebody know who invented the Bicube = Bandaged Cube?
Mefferts just calls it The Bandage Cube
[...]
A TP Museum search does not find it using "Bicube" or "Bandage Cube".
But the museum finds "Bandaged Cube":
http://twistypuzzles.com/cgi-bin/puzzle.cgi?pkey=613
and as you might see from the rather low puzzlekey that entry is a very old one.

There is a misunderstanding that the Bicube and the Bandaged Cube are different names for identical variants.
The earliest mentioning of the Bicube I could proove was in CFF #28 (from 1992 !) where Dieter Gebhardt cites this book (not in my posession):
http://twistypuzzles.com/cgi-bin/puzzle.cgi?pkey=300
In contrast to Meferts variant that Bicube has a fully bandaged 2x2x2-block opposite to the single unbandaged corner piece.

In CFF#56 Dieter Gebhardt goes a step further and claims that Raoul Raba described the Bicube already in an article dating back to 1981 which is not in my posession as well.
Nontheless the first massproduced bandaged cube ist he one from Mefferts.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 10:04 am 

Andreas Nortmann wrote:
....But the museum finds "Bandaged Cube":
http://twistypuzzles.com/cgi-bin/puzzle.cgi?pkey=613
and as you might see from the rather low puzzlekey that entry is a very old one.

There is a misunderstanding that the Bicube and the Bandaged Cube are different names for identical variants.
The earliest mentioning of the Bicube I could proove was in CFF #28 (from 1992 !) where Dieter Gebhardt cites this book (not in my posession):
http://twistypuzzles.com/cgi-bin/puzzle.cgi?pkey=300
In contrast to Meferts variant that Bicube has a fully bandaged 2x2x2-block opposite to the single unbandaged corner piece.

In CFF#56 Dieter Gebhardt goes a step further and claims that Raoul Raba described the Bicube already in an article dating back to 1981 which is not in my posession as well.
Nontheless the first massproduced bandaged cube is the one from Mefferts.
Thanks Andreas! Do you happen to know why the Museum Search "bandage cube" does not find "bandaged cube"?
Does the search generally not look for parts of a word?

The two small pictures of the Bandaged Cube seem to be contradicting.
The blue/white/yellow view of the Museum pictures is identical to my Meffert's.
The other view on the yellow/green/red faces does not fit at all.
I I assume that yellow to the very left should be orange (I see yellow on my screen) the green must become blue. (At least the physical structure is correct then.)

I'm confused a bit how the Bicube you mention really looks like
Quote:
Bicube has a fully bandaged 2x2x2-block opposite to the single unbandaged corner piece.
Do you have pictures of all faces?
Can I just take a Meffert's Bandaged Cube and make a 2x2x2 block opposite the single corner piece?

The CT BICUBE offered by hknowstore (I do not own one, I have the pictures only from hknowstore's site; see above or below again ) has obviously the same structure of the 13 pieces as the earlier Meffert's Cube.
Do you agree that my Bicube made out of the DIY reflects the hknowstore pictures (for the black variant) and the physical structure of the Meffert's Bandaged Cube? (Do you think that it is just a typo on the Meffert's page that they call it Bandage Cube now (without the "d")?)
Does this mean that the term Bicube refers to two different puzzles?

Konrad wrote:
...hknowstore calls it CT 3X3X3 BICUBE.
hknowstore shows all six faces by these photos

The Meffert's colour scheme is completely different

I made a Bicube with the DIY kit that reflects the hknowstore colour scheme for black body.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 11:09 am 

Konrad wrote:
Thanks Andreas! Do you happen to know why the Museum Search "bandage cube" does not find "bandaged cube"?
Does the search generally not look for parts of a word?
I assume you used "Quick Search". Entering your search phrase in "all of this words" would have shown you the entry I linked to above. This search leads to many additional results but you could have refined that by mechanism=3x3x3.
*Nobody said, searching is easy*
Konrad wrote:
I'm confused a bit how the Bicube you mention really looks like
Quote:
Bicube has a fully bandaged 2x2x2-block opposite to the single unbandaged corner piece.
Do you have pictures of all faces?
Can I just take a Meffert's Bandaged Cube and make a 2x2x2 block opposite the single corner piece?
Please download my program
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=24406
Copy these two lines
33EC01800846
17BEC0BC00846
into the clipboard and paste them (with CTRL+V as usual) into the program. The first one is Mefferts Bandage(d) Cube. The second is what Dieter Gebhardt called "Bicube".
Konrad wrote:
The CT BICUBE offered by hknowstore (I do not own one, I have the pictures only from hknowstore's site; see above or below again ) has obviously the same structure of the 13 pieces as the earlier Meffert's Cube.
Do you agree that my Bicube made out of the DIY reflects the hknowstore pictures (for the black variant) and the physical structure of the Meffert's Bandaged Cube? (Do you think that it is just a typo on the Meffert's page that they call it Bandage Cube now (without the "d")?)
Does this mean that the term Bicube refers to two different puzzles?
They all reflect the physical structure of Mefferts variant. You might want to hit CTRL+Y to see all the 48 variants of this puzzles within a single color scheme.
Do not ask me, at which point in time the d was lost or introduced. I have no such knowledge.
The two hexadecimal numbers above tell you (beside other things) that the Bicube (in its original understanding) and Mefferts Bandage(d) Cube are two different puzzles. Once again: CFF tells us, that the presumed equality between Bicube and BandagedCube is just a misunderstanding.

Andreas

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 12:10 pm 

Andreas Nortmann wrote:
...33EC01800846
17BEC0BC00846
into the clipboard and paste them (with CTRL+V as usual) into the program. The first one is Mefferts Bandage(d) Cube. The second is what Dieter Gebhardt called "Bicube".
So, I guessed right after your first explanation.
Andreas Nortmann wrote:
...They all reflect the physical structure of Mefferts variant. You might want to hit CTRL+Y to see all the 48 variants of this puzzles within a single color scheme.
Do not ask me, at which point in time the d was lost or introduced. I have no such knowledge.
The two hexadecimal numbers above tell you (beside other things) that the Bicube (in its original understanding) and Mefferts Bandage(d) Cube are two different puzzles. Once again: CFF tells us, that the presumed equality between Bicube and BandagedCube is just a misunderstanding.

Andreas
Thank you Andreas. Obviously Cubewtwist made a little mistake in a historical sense by using the name Bicube for something that is identical to the Meffert's Bandaged Cube, except the colours.
With "physical structure" I wanted to refer to everything, including bandaging, less the colours.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 4:13 pm 

So, Konrad, I'm lost. Are we saying the "Mefferts bandaged cube" is not the same as the "Cubetwist Bicube"? Or that the Mefferts Bandaged cube = the Cubetwist bicube, but the cubetwist bicube is different from the "original" bicube?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 4:57 pm 

Hi rline,
the Meffert's "Bandaged Cube" (or Bandage Cube) and the CT 3x3x3 Bicube are identical, except the colours.
The historically correctly named Bicube (Dieter Gebhardt) is similar but different: The whole 2x2 block opposite the single corner cubie is bandaged (as shown on the screenshot of Andreas's program; be careful, Andreas uses the original colour scheme blue opposite white).
You could start with this version. It is easier and the move sequence(s) you learn can be used for the Meffert's (or CT) version that is less bandaged but harder.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 3:09 am 

Puzzlemad wrote:
I would rather work it out for myself but having quickly watched this video, I seriously doubt that I will ever manage to do a bandaged cube unaided! Maybe the kit wasn't such a good idea after all?)

Once again I find myself in awe at the genius displayed on this forum!

So guys I have been working on this for days and days! I am blown away by the quality of the cube and amazed at how difficult it is! When I show this to my friends and colleagues they take one look at it and think it should be easy. Then I hand it to them and let them play - they quickly discover the bandaging and revise their opinion!

I have avoided reading this thread so far whilst working on it. Under my own steam I managed to solve all edges and position all corners. Unfortunately, for the life of me, I could not work out how to orient corners. Absolutely nothing that I tried would work so in desperation I turned to rline's site and learned how to do that final piece! I am amazed at his brilliance and very disappointed in myself - I would never in a million years have managed to work out that corner orientation move! I wonder how long it will take to manage to achieve complete solves by myself!

This is a really fun cube to solve and I have independently managed to find most of an "ultimate solution" by myself! Now it's time to look at everyone else's approaches to see if they might help me in the future!

Now I'm rather anxious to get my own kit in my grubby hands! I really hope my own solving skills improve. Thanks for the list of bandaged cubes to try with the order of difficulty!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 10:33 am 

Hi Konrad.,
I am glad that you appreciate my program at least a bit.
I want to give you one additional hint.
Andreas Nortmann wrote:
Copy these two lines
33EC01800846
17BEC0BC00846
into the clipboard and paste them (with CTRL+V as usual) into the program.
You can copy and paste both lines at once. To compare two variants you can just "copy" (without the clipboard) the variant in the right half to the right one by pressing INS or you can hit SHIFT+INS and enter (or paste) it by hand.

Attachments:
Unbenannt.png
Unbenannt.png [ 42.67 KiB | Viewed 9946 times ]

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 5:35 am 

My kit arrived yesterday - just at the same time as me having a few days off work :D :D
The weather is too terrible to do any gardening or outdoor chores so I will have time to play!

I have just seen that Rline has posted his latest tutorial - this time on the 2-bar-4 cube which has been claimed (further up in this thread) is the easiest of the 3x3 bandaged cubes:
http://rubiksultimatesolution.blogspot.com/2012/10/2-bar4-cube.html

This has encouraged me to embark on my odyssey - I have deliberately avoided reading the tutorial and I hope that this time I can solve it without help! :?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 7:08 am 

Hi Kevin

I almost guarantee you'll get the 2-bar done yourself. 8-)

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 10:49 am 

rline wrote:
Hi Kevin

I almost guarantee you'll get the 2-bar done yourself. 8-)

Yay!!!
You are right! Solved in a couple of hours!
A very nice little bandaged cube! Certainly much easier than the bandaged 3.

I tried to use varying techniques before returning to the Ultimate solution but nothing I tried would work! I did manage to complete the 1st 2 layers intuitively but could not orient the edges of the last layer much less move the corners around. In the end I returned to the Ultimate solution and it was surprisingly easy!!

It took me a little while to work out which side to start with and then, :oops: a rather long time to remember the CPS for the 3x3x2 but when I did it worked beautifully!!!!

Thanks Rline - everyone should learn your technique, even if it's just to add something new to their armamentarium!!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 7:25 pm 

A nice little addition to the 2 Bar concept:
We might as well give the unknown ones nick-names so, the `Bandaged Loop`. I had a bit of fun with it this morning.

BTW It's got nice vibrant colours, which I really liked, but there were only 2 of the 3x1 bars for each colour, which would limit `some` combinations.

Attachments:
Bandaged Loop.jpg
Bandaged Loop.jpg [ 713.42 KiB | Viewed 9413 times ]

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2012 12:15 am 

The Bandaged Loop ^^ above won't prove too much of a challenge to the experienced solvers. So I made a version in which I sought to block known sequences. It looks like a castle so I called it the `Bandaged Fortress`.

Cheers,
Burgo.

Attachments:
Bandaged Fortress.jpg
Bandaged Fortress.jpg [ 696.15 KiB | Viewed 9378 times ]

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2012 2:05 am 

Maybe you are interested:
"Bandaged Loop" translates to 300C0180600C03 and has 10*1152 permutations.
"Bandaged Fortress" translates to 30000010048883 and has 42*322560 permutations.

The first factor is the number of different "bandaging patterns" achievable by twisting the cube.
A "bandaging pattern" is (technically spoken) one of the hexadecimal numbers and (more illustratively spoken) what remains as distinguishable states of the puzzle if you remove all stickers except the ones on the faces.
The second factor is the number of permutations achievable within the same pattern.

Andreas

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2012 10:49 pm 

I think we have a few who might appreciate some easier interesting ones:
The first one I called Stalactites, it's a variant of the [Big Block / 1x1x3 Block / 3 Slices], slightly more interesting than << the other variants.
The second one I called Stalagmites and Stalactites, it's fully scramblable (funny word that) as demontrated, and comparable in difficulty to the Earth Tetrahedron.

BTW, I have solutions for all 4 and will compare notes after others have tried them.
*Beginner spoiler for all 4 variants* Interesting how: [When we bandage 2 or more corners to each other the corner permutations become more or less trivial and the solve is all about the edges.]

Hi Andreas, Interesting how I would have expected the Bandaged Loop to have more permutations, but the more bandaged Fortress has more.

Attachments:
Stalactites.jpg
Stalactites.jpg [ 720.55 KiB | Viewed 9234 times ]
Stalagmites and Stalactites.jpg
Stalagmites and Stalactites.jpg [ 1.32 MiB | Viewed 9234 times ]

Last edited by Burgo on Sat Nov 03, 2012 4:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2012 11:46 pm 

Burgo,

I love your names for these. Really creative. I think I'll give them a go, since I think that bandaged fortress will be much harder.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 2:02 am 

OK, Mildly Addicted here :oops:

I thought I'd make an easy one.. turned out to be `a little tougher` than I first thought. *Warning* this one's trouble :wink: . I called it the Double Block.. for more than one reason.

My method for this one is a little scrappy at present, see what you think:

Attachments:
Double Block.jpg
Double Block.jpg [ 654.45 KiB | Viewed 9208 times ]

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 3:50 am 

TICK TOCK,

Double Block Clock:

I wasn’t going to post this one, I consider it one of my cast offs, just because it’s so difficult. It's exactly the same as the `Double Block` with an additional 1x1x2 block in the U layer. It was my original idea when I made the Double Block: I thought the Double Block would be easier than it was and might need a little extra, and this was my idea for that `extra`. But the Double Block was a perfect challenge in it’s own right. Nevertheless, I wanted a twist of this puzzle, which then drove me mad for the next few hours. Afterwards, I thought the `idea` was worth posting, and who knows, someone might come up with a few sequences and make it look easy!

I will include a picture of where I got to in the solve (4 edges need cycling).. and I’m suspicious that I have to go back quite a bit before I go forward. Nevertheless, if anyone tries it, I think they will realize that I have made quite a bit of progress to get there. And.. if anyone is as bonkers as me they might give it a shot? *Disclaimer* Just don’t try it if you have a combination of high blood pressure and stubborn persistence.
Attachment:
Double Block Clock.jpg
Double Block Clock.jpg [ 1.4 MiB | Viewed 9101 times ]
Bandaged Clock Crazy Planet Series:

The other reason I posted it is that it lead me to an idea about a `Bandaged Clock` Crazy Planet series following the bandaging pattern of the Crazy Planet 333 series. I have posted a picture a `Bandaged Clock model` (all faces bandaged) as a reference for making the faces of the `Bandaged Clock Crazy Planets`. The model is a diagram for the series and is not `in itself` fully functional. (Bandaged = 1 = + faces), in this series a bandaged face will refer to it having an edge<>centre 1x1x2 tile on it. Some are trivial, some harder, it’s just for fun :D .
Attachment:
Bandaged Clock Planet Series model.jpg
Bandaged Clock Planet Series model.jpg [ 637.6 KiB | Viewed 9101 times ]
Attachment:
333 Crazy Planet Format diagram.jpg
333 Crazy Planet Format diagram.jpg [ 66.33 KiB | Viewed 8310 times ]
Enjoy,
Burgo.

Last edited by Burgo on Tue Nov 06, 2012 3:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 4:28 am 

:shock: :shock:
Help I can't keep up with Burgo! He's designing them faster than I can make and solve them!

I've moved back to the bandaged 3x3 kit for a while - completely stuck on the 4x4 AI last 2x2 section. I've watched the videos about a dozen times and I still can't work out the strategy! The actual algorithms are really easy but it seems to be all about set up and I just can't seem to work it out!

The 3x3 seems much nicer now :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 1:43 am 

Hi Kevin (and others),

If you want a bit of an indication of difficulty I will make a list so that you know where to start (for puzzles talked about in this thread so far):
Difficulty Rating moved to first post ^^.

Today’s puzzle: Big Block Clock
I wanted to see how difficult the puzzle in the Bandaged Clock Planets `model diagram` was in its own right: Here’s what it looks like as a puzzle, it’s a nice challenge.

BTW the only puzzle above^^ that I’m yet to solve is the `Double Block Clock`, some strategies are scratchy.

Attachments:
Big Block Clock.jpg
Big Block Clock.jpg [ 591.29 KiB | Viewed 9001 times ]

Last edited by Burgo on Fri Nov 09, 2012 9:14 am, edited 9 times in total.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 6:06 am 

Hi Kevin Burgo and others,

Burgo wrote:
OK, Mildly Addicted here

You are very proactive here.
I love this forum.
I'm afraid about the BI cube, it seems very hard.
I must wait until my CT bandaged set arrives. :oops: :oops: :oops:

Then more. Perhaps it was the right decision to order the ct bandaged set. :D :)

Cheers,
Andrea

PS:
Burgo: very interesting your bandaged puzzle design ideas. Thank you for sharing this.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 1:19 pm 

Burgo wrote:
Hi Kevin (and others),

If you want a bit of an indication of difficulty I will make a list so that you know where to start (for puzzles talked about in this thread so far):

This is fantastic! I now have a sort of target to go for!
So far just done the first 3 and enjoyed them a lot!

This was certainly a really good buy! Everyone should consider buying this puzzle! :D

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 3:24 am 

Bandaged Cube/s of the day:

3 Bar and 3 Bar Clock

Today I solved the 3 Bar (quite interesting) but not the 3 Bar Clock yet, that's proving to be a bit more of a problem. I think I will just edit the `difficulty level post` as I add and solve new puzzles..

EDIT: Solved the 3 bar clock, nice challenge, not too much harder than the 3 bar in the end, but enough :) .

Cheers,
Burgo.

Attachments:
3 Bar.jpg
3 Bar.jpg [ 744.68 KiB | Viewed 8818 times ]
3 Bar Clock.jpg
3 Bar Clock.jpg [ 610.09 KiB | Viewed 8818 times ]

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 8:15 pm 

I've got another interesting one to add this morning: The Bandaged YZ. I called it that because of the famous permutation patterns it presents. Although it's not as easy as just making those patterns. The large E layer block is problematic. I usually solve before I present and this is the case here also.
Attachment:
Bandaged YZ.jpg
Bandaged YZ.jpg [ 1019.94 KiB | Viewed 8573 times ]
I will also make public a derived version from the Bandaged YZ which I have called the Unbandaged YZ, because I unbandaged the central block. I did this just for a bit of fun, but it turned out to be quite an interesting puzzle. It's probably a closer relative to the 3 Slices, and I certainly set-up like that to solve it, but I felt this configuration added a nice extra visual confusion.
Attachment:
Unbandaged YZ.jpg
Unbandaged YZ.jpg [ 616.68 KiB | Viewed 8550 times ]
Another great leadup puzzle is made by unbandaging the Big Block to make it a little more difficult. The Unbandaged Big Block is a similar idea to the Stalactites, and notice it's relationship to the 2 puzzles above^^.
Attachment:
Unbandaged Big Block.jpg
Unbandaged Big Block.jpg [ 783.3 KiB | Viewed 8534 times ]
An obvious derivative of that is the Unbandaged Big Block Clock, for which I moved the clock hands to take away any visual confusion, I think the challenge is enough without it, this time. Perhaps a nicer looking version of this puzzle is the UBBC-V2, funny how a different configuration of the same puzzle can lead you to solve it differently (in as much as it will let you anyway).
Attachment:
Unbandaged Big Block Clock & UBBC-V2.jpg
Unbandaged Big Block Clock & UBBC-V2.jpg [ 1.43 MiB | Viewed 8504 times ]
Cheers,
Burgo.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 2:12 am 

I am very excited to release my latest idea: I have called it Alcatraz! Some bandaged333 puzzles are variations that are interesting enough to post, and some just feel like classics the instant you play with them. This one deserved a new post. It has 3 configuration variants that I have called Alcatraz, Alcatraz Lockdown and Alcatraz Solitary. It's interesting how the challenges step up, even though the configuration is the same. You might be surprized at the difficulty of locking that little cubie into solitary confinement! If you aren't a confident solver, try moving between the shape patterns for a nice little challenge.
Attachment:
Alcatraz.jpg
Alcatraz.jpg [ 2.49 MiB | Viewed 8454 times ]
I will also show off this nice little puzzle that I called Stonhenge. It has a nice looking configuration. It's the puzzle of the day for those who don't want as much of a challenge as Alcatraz.
Attachment:
Stonehenge.jpg
Stonehenge.jpg [ 1.4 MiB | Viewed 8454 times ]
Cheers,
Burgo.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 2:55 am 

Burgo wrote:
I've got another interesting one to add this morning: The Bandaged YZ. I called it that because of the famous permutation patterns it presents.
Maybe you care about it:
The signature is 1680008C2FB461
It has 32 distinct shapes and 58320 permutations.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 4:23 am 

My goodness Burgo you are designing them, and solving your designs, faster than I can actually make and do them! :shock:

I have started on your list (which I hope you keep updated) and am working my way through the easy ones. Because I like to do it a good few times before dismantling to make sure I understand it and also so I can bore my wife with a good description of it's differences and virtues each time, I tend to keep each one made up for 3-5 days! By the time I dismantle it you have designed another 3! 8-)

I am very thankful to Cubetwist for making this kit! It is a great way to learn about bandaging!

Andreas, I have a Mac and your program won't run! Would it be possible to port it to Java which is cross platform? If not then I do understand!