Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Wed Apr 23, 2014 11:12 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Beginner modding questions
PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 12:01 am 

So I am proud to say I have completed my first mod, 2 hours, a hack saw, spray paint, an old 3x3 and some plastic scavenged from cd cases. My slightly misshapen half trunc cube is complete. It was a fun experience and I am looking forward to doing some more basic shape mods , however I have some questions first:

1. Where to buy plastic sheeting (preferably in a store)( thickness and other specifics are nice as well)
2. What's the difference between milliput and apoxy sculpt?
3. Can above items be purchased instore?
4. Is it feasible to extend a price using sheeting? If so how?
5. Any 2x2x2 shape mods? (preferably with a tutorial )

Thanks

Post subject: Re: Beginner modding questions
PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 12:10 pm 

storebought wrote:
1. Where to buy plastic sheeting (preferably in a store)( thickness and other specifics are nice as well)
The search function helps for most of these questions.
Short answers are:
2. Price and matter of taste.
5. Search the museum for all puzzles with mechanism=2x2x2 and producer=custom

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 8:44 pm 

storebought wrote:
So I am proud to say I have completed my first mod, 2 hours, a hack saw, spray paint, an old 3x3 and some plastic scavenged from cd cases. My slightly misshapen half trunc cube is complete. It was a fun experience and I am looking forward to doing some more basic shape mods , however I have some questions first:

Thanks

1. When asking these kinds of questions you need to state at least what country you live in. My answer would be BCM store but I suspect that means nothing to you. For online links try here.
2. Don't know, just get the one you find first.
3. See 1.
4. I have no idea what that means.
5. Yes, as many as you can imagine. That's the beauty of puzzle making, you decide! You don't need anyone to tell you. Cut, glue, mould, cast, sand and learn as you go. No one told me.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 12:59 am 

storebought wrote:

Thanks

Congratulations on taking up modding! I suggest you update your profile to include your location so people near you can give you more specific advice.

1. I know it is difficult to search the forums when you don't really know what you are looking for. I did quite a few searches on TP forums and on Google looking for an online source of plastic sheeting in North America (with delivery to Canada). I searched for "plastic sheeting" "abs sheeting" "plastic" "polystyrene", etc. Within all the noise, I found some posts from quite a few years ago that mentioned particular suppliers in North America, but every one was outdated. A forum member was kind enough to sell me some leftover sheeting to get me started, but I had to look elsewhere for new stock. My source of good-quality black plastic sheets is empty industrial toner cartridges. All the plastic sheeting I will ever need (they are not recycled in my remote community). Perhaps you can look around for similar opportunities in your community.

2. Milliput and Apoxie Sculpt are both two-part sculptable epoxy products that can be sanded and drilled after they harden. I think people use whichever they can find easiest. The Milliput company sent me a list of Canadian sources upon request. I found Apoxie Sculpt at an online sculpture supply shop. I imagine it can be found in art and craft shops that sell sculpture supplies.

3. MilliPut and Apoxie Sculpt are sold in stores according to their respective websites. I would expect hobby shops to sell plastic sheeting, but I didn't find any at the online hobby shops I checked, but it could be that it is too bulky or not cost-effective to ship.

4. Quite a few shape mods have long extensions using plastic sheeting. Skarabajo used extensions in this mod and ModernDayWarrior used plastic tubing that he made from plastic sheeting in this mod.

5. YouTube is a good source of mod tutorials. I really don't think it matters if the shape mod in the tutorial is a 2x2, 3x3 or 4x4, you can use it on a 2x2. (I can't give specific links right now as this rooming house Internet I'm using is no match for YouTube, but PM me and I will send you my links on Friday when I get back home). The way I found the mods I wanted to make was to look in the Museum and then on YouTube for relevant tutorials. You'll only find tutorials for easier mods, but I think that is what you want.

I'm learning myself, and I don't have too many answers, but you are welcome to PM me. I am always willing to share what I know because I think sharing knowledge will strengthen our very small community. As I write this, there are 155 views of this post, so I think there is a lot of interest in this topic.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 2:20 pm 

Thank you all for the answers! I live in Canada so is suppose I am faced withy the same problem as you Pete. I think I'm going to try and make a junior bump cube!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 10:49 pm 

storebought wrote:
Thank you all for the answers! I live in Canada so is suppose I am faced withy the same problem as you Pete. I think I'm going to try and make a junior bump cube!
You have a Michael's Arts & Crafts in Winnipeg and you certainly have some old-fashioned hobby shops. If you have to do mail order, I got some Apoxie Sculpt at Sculpture Supply Canada. They only ship UPS, so I bought enough to make the shipping cost worthwhile.
These stores came up in a search for Winnipeg: Gale's Wholesale Ltd and Artists Emporium.
Please let me know what you find, as Winnipeg would be my main shopping destination (6 hour drive). It will also help to make the information in this forum more current.

My mods are a hexagonal dipyramid on a 3x3 and a series of cuboid mods on a 4x4 and 5x5.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 1:31 am 

Found epoxy at Walmart, it's called Kwik plastic and seems to work fine, hopefully on the weekend I can check out a few of these places for plastic sheeting http://www.google.ca/search?q=where+to+ ... n+winnipeg

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 4:09 pm 

I sent you a PM, but for other Winterpeggians, Elmwood Hobby Works on Henderson for sheet plastic, and there's a hobby shop on Regent across from Costco and by the mattress store that has Milliput.

doctor who wrote:
I don't think I can make her pose without heavy sedation. The rendering doesn't have to be perfect, it just can't look like Oskar in drag.