Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Sun Apr 20, 2014 1:31 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: New Puzzle Idea
PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 7:55 pm 

This puzzle is based on the Quartet. I added discs that can be interchanged between the core piece and the corners. It looks really interesting and I haven't seen one before. A cool thing is that the interchangeable discs can be subdivided. The current set up has them arranged so they turn in multiples of 180 degrees. If this is successful, I will probably make versions that turn in multiples of 90 and even 60 degrees. Each time I cut the discs I will have to add more tolerances due to the increase of surface area. The picture shows all of the different types of pieces. It's a cutaway so you can see how they fit together. I will add caps and such later. I have even thought of extendeng the tops of the discs with gears so they turn together. I have even thought of making the gear turn a shaft that rotates the opposite face of the puzzle.

Attachments:
NEWPUZ.jpg
NEWPUZ.jpg [ 89.91 KiB | Viewed 2345 times ]

http://www.youtube.com/user/Rubikscuber1

Post subject: Re: New Puzzle Idea
PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 8:16 pm 

irrelavent, but could you also make a quartet that the edge pieces can make 90 degree turn by cutting the pieces so you can do so , and it probably shape shift, but like a square 1

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 8:25 pm 

awesomecuber wrote:
irrelavent, but could you also make a quartet that the edge pieces can make 90 degree turn by cutting the pieces so you can do so , and it probably shape shift, but like a square 1

I designed one of those too, it's a really good idea. I want to get it printed.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 1:28 am 

You really need to learn how to do tolerances correctly as your puzzle designs become more complex. On the Master Quartet they were incorrect (but it still worked as it was a simple puzzle), but the tolerances you use will begin causing loose puzzles as they become more complex.

As for the puzzle itself, I would suggest having the disks sticking up above the surface for an easy grip. I would also recommend you print the first version with more than two pieces per disk, but that's just my opinion.

Buy the Curvy Copter Skewb, NovaMinx, and more here!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 6:14 am 

Luke wrote:
You really need to learn how to do tolerances correctly as your puzzle designs become more complex. On the Master Quartet they were incorrect (but it still worked as it was a simple puzzle), but the tolerances you use will begin causing loose puzzles as they become more complex.

As for the puzzle itself, I would suggest having the disks sticking up above the surface for an easy grip. I would also recommend you print the first version with more than two pieces per disk, but that's just my opinion.

The first Master Quartet I made had zero tolerance. The idea was to measure the width of the pieces, sand them down, and then re-measure them and use the tolerances for the next puzzle. It was my first design and I didn't really know how much tolerance to give. Plus, all of the surfaces that had to be sanded could be sanded easily since they were all flat. The secong Master Quartet used the new tolerances, however, there was a problem where shapeways partially sintered an additional layer, throwing off the tollerance between the tongue and groove.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 10:46 am 

What I am saying is that in the video you make it sound as if you apply tolerances on every surface, and this will certainly result in bad puzzles as they become more complex. Eric made a great tutorial on this thread.

Buy the Curvy Copter Skewb, NovaMinx, and more here!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 12:37 pm 

Rubikscuber1 wrote:
The secong Master Quartet used the new tolerances, however, there was a problem where shapeways partially sintered an additional layer, throwing off the tollerance between the tongue and groove.

Can you explain what you mean here? There is an "outer shell" of partially bonded powder to all WSF prints. This layer doesn't have to be accounted for in the tolerances as its what wears down during the break-in process. I don't really know a way to measure the thickness of this outer shell but my guess is that it's on the order of .05mm.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 1:39 pm 

When I receive Shapeways parts I lightly brush away the outer layer using a brass bristled brush, which is hard enough for the job but not too hard that it marks the surface.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 4:38 pm 

Luke wrote:
What I am saying is that in the video you make it sound as if you apply tolerances on every surface, and this will certainly result in bad puzzles as they become more complex. Eric made a great tutorial on this thread.

I use .00125in tolerances between surfaces. Rather than subtracting .00125 from one surface and leaving the other zero tolerance, I use half of .00125 (.000625) and subtract that from both surfaces that come in contact. So it's still .00125in tolerance between surfaces, just evened out between the two. Thanks for the link, I'll check it out.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 4:42 pm 

bmenrigh wrote:
Rubikscuber1 wrote:
The secong Master Quartet used the new tolerances, however, there was a problem where shapeways partially sintered an additional layer, throwing off the tollerance between the tongue and groove.

Can you explain what you mean here? There is an "outer shell" of partially bonded powder to all WSF prints. This layer doesn't have to be accounted for in the tolerances as its what wears down during the break-in process. I don't really know a way to measure the thickness of this outer shell but my guess is that it's on the order of .05mm.

Luke said my tolerances for the original Master Quartet's were incorrect. They looked good on the computer screen. Once I recieved it from ShapeWays an addition layer was "partially" sintered. I believe it is actually fully sintered because after breaking-in, it didn't wear down.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 5:22 pm 

But anyway, has anyone made this type of puzzle before? I'm pretty sure no-one has made a Quartet with interchangeable discs, but has anyone ever made a puzzle that has rotating discs that aren't central? (central would be like the way the top of a Super Square-1 looks)

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 7:33 pm 

Rubikscuber1 wrote:
Has anyone ever made a puzzle that has rotating discs that aren't central?

I get the feeling that there are others, but the only such puzzle I can think of at the moment is the Button Cube.

My Shapeways shop