Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Thu Jul 24, 2014 8:53 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours



Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: Original / First Solution
PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2012 8:44 am 
Offline

Joined: Thu Sep 16, 2010 12:16 am
Just out of curiosity, any idea who is like, the FIRST person to actually solve the 3x3 cube?
Then, who is the first person to document the 'first' solution for the 3x3.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Original / First Solution
PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2012 9:23 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun May 29, 2011 2:56 pm
Location: New York
Erno Rubik.

-Doug

_________________
My Youtube Channel of Custom Twisty Puzzles!
Recent videos: Master Axis Cube | 4x4x2 Solve | 3x3x3 Triangular Prism


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Original / First Solution
PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 4:43 am 
Offline

Joined: Thu Sep 16, 2010 12:16 am
rubixwiz031 wrote:
Erno Rubik.



Okay... so the one on the Rubiks.com website is his solution?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Original / First Solution
PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 7:14 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun May 29, 2011 2:56 pm
Location: New York
xuantee wrote:
rubixwiz031 wrote:
Erno Rubik.



Okay... so the one on the Rubiks.com website is his solution?

Well.. I'm not 100% sure, but I believe he don't believe he did it by layers. I think his method was similar to Roux.

-Doug

_________________
My Youtube Channel of Custom Twisty Puzzles!
Recent videos: Master Axis Cube | 4x4x2 Solve | 3x3x3 Triangular Prism


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Original / First Solution
PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 7:34 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu Jan 20, 2011 7:37 pm
The most common method found by intuition is a corners first approach, such as the method used by Tony Fisher. I am 90% sure that the method on Rubik's.com is not the original method. That method is entirely algorithm based and not likely to be used by an intuitive solver.

_________________
PBs:single/Ao5/Ao12
3x3: 4.26/7.26/7.75
pyraminx: 0.89/1.87/2.19
4x4:29.29/33.53


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Original / First Solution
PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 7:45 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Dec 31, 2009 8:54 pm
Location: Bay Area, California
How many here first solve the 3x3x3 on their own with their own method? I wish I had. At the time though I didn't really have a good grasp of how one would go about finding a solution so I used one my college roommate taught me.

_________________
Prior to using my real name I posted under the account named bmenrigh.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Original / First Solution
PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 8:09 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Mar 30, 2009 5:13 pm
bmenrigh wrote:
How many here first solve the 3x3x3 on their own with their own method? I wish I had. At the time though I didn't really have a good grasp of how one would go about finding a solution so I used one my college roommate taught me.

I did. :D

I've started a separate thread to explain my own self-taught method, and encourage others to share and compare their methods:

viewtopic.php?f=8&p=288719#p288719

_________________
If you want something you’ve never had, you’ve got to do something you’ve never done - Thomas Jefferson


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Original / First Solution
PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 9:29 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun May 29, 2011 2:56 pm
Location: New York
KelvinS wrote:
bmenrigh wrote:
How many here first solve the 3x3x3 on their own with their own method? I wish I had. At the time though I didn't really have a good grasp of how one would go about finding a solution so I used one my college roommate taught me.

I did. :D

I've started a separate thread to explain my own self-taught method, and encourage others to share and compare their methods:

viewtopic.php?f=8&p=288719#p288719

Impressive, Kelvin.
For my first few months of puzzling, I would immediately find a tutorial on the internet for every new puzzle I got.
Ah, regrets.

-Doug

_________________
My Youtube Channel of Custom Twisty Puzzles!
Recent videos: Master Axis Cube | 4x4x2 Solve | 3x3x3 Triangular Prism


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 5 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: BN and 9 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  

Forum powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group