Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Wed Jul 23, 2014 5:39 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: 3x5x7: The Ultimate Shapeshifting Cuboid!!
PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 12:27 am 

After many years of searching the universe, and many failed attempts at bringing this creation to life, I can finally proudly present Gregoire Pfennig's (RubixFreakGreg) 3x5x7! This is among the first cuboids of this type, with different layers on all sides, that can shapeshift in all directions. This promises to be among the most difficult of cuboids to solve! This will be the first of what I hope to be many puzzles that I've been looking for that I can provide to collectors. This can be purchased soon on shapeways, more on this to come...

Attachment:
IMG_3536.JPG
IMG_3536.JPG [ 2.86 MiB | Viewed 6754 times ]

Some shapeshifting nightmares:
Attachment:
IMG_3537.JPG
IMG_3537.JPG [ 2.68 MiB | Viewed 6754 times ]

Attachment:
IMG_3538.JPG
IMG_3538.JPG [ 2.71 MiB | Viewed 6754 times ]

Attachment:
IMG_3539.JPG
IMG_3539.JPG [ 2.56 MiB | Viewed 6754 times ]

Some video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=loo2GT0y2AY

Enjoy!

Attachments:
IMG_3541.JPG
IMG_3541.JPG [ 2.61 MiB | Viewed 6754 times ]
IMG_3540.JPG
IMG_3540.JPG [ 2.63 MiB | Viewed 6754 times ]

Post subject: Re: 3x5x7: The Ultimate Shapeshifting Cuboid!!
PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 2:18 am 

One further step in cuboïds planet! Fantastic puzzle, a must have !

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 2:47 am 

My, he's a big boy :D I guess if this was unstickered it would still be a pain to solve due to all the shapeshifting. Well done you two.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 3:49 am 

Note: Many failed attempt but I never changed the mechanism, these were only printing problems, and a piece count mistake.

On another hand : Yay :D ! I have one at home (the only cuboid of mine that I have) and I have to say the shapeshifting is just crazy complicated. I couldn't even get the shape back to normal :(

P.S: Mine's a bit smoother but I'm guessing that the breaking in. How is it now ?
P.S2: The dark beackground is a great idea !!! The colors are really well emphasized. @ Andreas: isn't it easier to cut it out with Adobe now that it had a dark background and flashy colors ?

My Website on Twisty Puzzles with Gears

Grégoire Pfennig

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 4:26 am 

My favourite cuboid!
I might be wrong but I dont think you showed the shapeshifting in all 3 directions at once in the video.

My puzzles in the Museum
My Website
My Youtube Channel

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 4:36 am 

RubixFreakGreg wrote:
P.S2: The dark beackground is a great idea !!! The colors are really well emphasized. @ Andreas: isn't it easier to cut it out with Adobe now that it had a dark background and flashy colors ?
Not really, as the contrast between the black puzzle edges and the dark background is poor. In general, black puzzles -> light background, white puzzles -> dark background.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 6:40 am 

alacoume wrote:

And have it you shall! This is now available for purchase at:
http://www.shapeways.com/shops/puzzlemaestro
Kinks are still being worked out with the shop, so more details to come. Fully assembled and stickered puzzles will also be available.
Stickers can be obtained from Oliver at:
http://speedcubing.hu/webshop/

RubixFreakGreg wrote:
Note: Many failed attempt but I never changed the mechanism, these were only printing problems, and a piece count mistake.

Yes! Good point Greg. The mechanism has always been brilliant, as is characteristic of your work. I had not realized how mess ups are the rule and not the exception at shapeways! I feel for all you shapeways creators who have to deal with that on a daily basis! I never got frustrated as I knew how worth the end result would be!
RubixFreakGreg wrote:
On another hand : Yay ! I have one at home (the only cuboid of mine that I have) and I have to say the shapeshifting is just crazy complicated. I couldn't even get the shape back to normal

Yes, this is definately among the most challenging cuboids I've ever played around with! To all those looking for a unique cuboid challenge, this will deliver! The multiple long extentions make you unable to easily use the same cuboid algorithms. You have to try it to understand what I mean! I tip my hat to anyone who can figure it out!
I did more breaking in, and the movement is flawless! The sandpapery sound was more from the emphasis that happened in the audio, but the movement is very smooth now!
Sigurd wrote:
My favourite cuboid!
I might be wrong but I dont think you showed the shapeshifting in all 3 directions at once in the video.

Well, you are obviously a man of good taste :)
You're right about not shapeshifting in all 3 directions. I was nervous about a critical scramble I couldn't get back from! More video to come.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 6:51 am 

Hey that's strange! :shock: I was thinking about how it cool it would be if there was a 3x5x7 or a 2x4x6 around two days ago... :D

Great job! I like it. :)

But anyone can see it a mile away with those colours!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 10:15 am 

WOW!!! The collector part of me has in general caused me to avoid most Cuboids. It's not that I don't find them interesting. Its just that there are so many of them and I know if I start down that path I'll get to the point where I'll want them all and I just can't aford that at the moment. But I must say this one is so tempting it will be hard to resist. I'd love to see it mass produced. I think the property that I like the most about it is that you can actually get to see a large amount of the internal mechanism just from scrambling the puzzle. With a 3x3x3 all the magic which holds it together is pretty well hidden away inside. Here you get to see much of that magic at work and I love that aspect of it.

Very very nice work. Congrats!!
Carl

Last edited by wwwmwww on Sun Aug 18, 2013 8:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 10:21 am 

David Chua wrote:
Hey that's strange! :shock: I was thinking about how it cool it would be if there was a 3x5x7 or a 2x4x6 around two days ago... :D
I believe this is most of the way to having a 2x4x6. Wouldn't it have all the same parts? You'd just have to hide the center slice layer away inside the puzzle and come up with a way to keep it aligned with the rest of the puzzle.

Carl

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 11:18 am 

Claus wasn't involved in this one?
What happened?

BTW: Looks good.
I assume a single cubie measures 20mm ?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 12:33 pm 

David Chua wrote:
Hey that's strange! I was thinking about how it cool it would be if there was a 3x5x7 or a 2x4x6 around two days ago...

Now that's what I call cuboid karma!
wwwmwww wrote:
WOW!!! The collector part of me has in general caused me to avoid most Cuboids. It's not that I don't fine them interesting. Its just that there are so many of them and I know if I start down that path I'll get to the point where I'll want them all

That is a very wise philosophy, as I've already gone down that path, and after tasting from the cuboid well, I find there is no going back, and am hopelessly pursuing the collection with the conviction of a rabid dog!

I think if you had a 3x3x5, a 3x4x5, and a 4x4x5, that would be a good enough collection with all the representative cuboid forms. This one represents a significant variation, being an all axis shapeshifter in a form other then NxNxM, so you would be forgiven and not labled as afflicted with collection obsession should you add this to the collection ;)

Andreas Nortmann wrote:
Claus wasn't involved in this one?
What happened?

Claus is my inspiration and has been a fantastic resource to the puzzle collecting community! His opening up the world to access all these cuboids is nothing short of brilliant. I can only hope to approach Claus' service to the community. As such, I believe his inspiration makes him at least indirectly involved :)

Of note, for a limited time I'll be providing a limited number of fully assembled and stickered puzzles.
The first person to come up with a solution and upload it to a youtube video before I post the solution in about a month or so, will get 20% off the next puzzle from the shapeways shop listed.

The second one will get 10% off, and the 3rd one will get 5% off.
Believe me, the next one is something you'll be very interested in, and I say this as a collector...

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 2:35 am 

Jon and Greg - wowwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww!!!!!!

Best job ever. A must to have for someone you love cuboids.

Jon your pictures are incredible. I can't wait to see further projects of you both.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 7:22 am 

clauswe wrote:
Best job ever. A must to have for someone you love cuboids.

Thanks Claus, and I quite agree, Greg is an amazing designer!
I have now worked out a solution and managed to solve the beast! This means that in about 2 to 4 weeks I'm going to upload the solution. Anyone who can work out and upload the solution before that time will qualify for the 20% off offer on the next shapeways project (this will be a another good one!)
So solvers and collectors to arms!
Allons-Y!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 3:22 am 

Sorry for bumping this thread, but I am wondering why this is only available in white? I am considering getting the puzzle, but I would like to have it in black. However I don't want it assembled and stickered ;)

Last edited by EMI94100 on Wed Aug 15, 2012 9:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 6:21 am 

EMI94100 wrote:
Sorry for bumping this thread, but I am wondering why this is only available in white? I am considering getting the puzzle, but I would like to have it in black. However I donÄt want it assembled and stickered

Ah, excellent question, and thank's for the bump to clarify! When I ordered the puzzle dyed black from Shapeways, I received a most unusual response from them. They stated that they could not offer the puzzle in black because of how complicated it is to dye :shock:

Because of the shape of the pieces and the various pores in them, dying it proved to be impossible by their method. They sent me a picture of the catastrophic destruction of various pieces victimized by their dying process. Anyone who has ever dyed shapeways products themselves understands the pain of trying to get dye out of the small holes in the parts, lest it slowly leak out over time making your furniture start to resemble the color of a black puzzle :)

As such, the only way to get it in black is to either order it in white and dye it black yourself with RIT dye, or, alternatively, to order it fully assembled and black. Here is another alternative, though. Due to the inability of Shapeways to provide black puzzles and the painstaking process of dying it black, we are also going to offer the puzzle as a DIY kit non assembled and stickered but dyed black for you. You can order that directly through the Puzzle Maestro Shapeways shop and leaving a message through there, or pm me and I'll get it taken care of for you. Due to the time and work it takes to dye the puzzle, a service that not even Shapeways will tackle, the offering price for the DIY kit is $280. This is the same price as the fully assembled white puzzle. This is subject to discussion, as I truly want to put this puzzle in the hands of all those who want it :)

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 8:08 am 

Doctor who wrote:
Due to the time and work it takes to dye the puzzle, a service that not even Shapeways will tackle, the offering price for the DIY kit is $280. This is the same price as the fully assembled white puzzle. This is subject to discussion, as I truly want to put this puzzle in the hands of all those who want it :)

This is such a beautiful puzzle, would the DIY kit include the screws and stickers too? Also, since you are dying the pieces, I'm sure you're making certain all of the pieces are there. I know this is a common problem with Shapeways puzzles.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 11:06 am 

Thank you for the kind offer!
However, I just realised the puzzle might be too pricey for me to buy it as a complete 3D-print. I am still going to school and my pocket money does not allow me to get it :/
So - I had an other idea. It would be really great for me - and maybe others too - if we could buy only masters from your store to mold them at home :)
So, if there is any way to offer those, I would be really thankful!

Doctor who wrote:
I truly want to put this puzzle in the hands of all those who want it :)

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 1:29 pm 

ft38 wrote:
This is such a beautiful puzzle, would the DIY kit include the screws and stickers too? Also, since you are dying the pieces, I'm sure you're making certain all of the pieces are there. I know this is a common problem with Shapeways puzzles.

Another good question, and yes, I'll include the stickers, with the color scheme of your choice, and I'll even throw in the screws from Cube4You. I will also examine the pieces and make sure that Shapeways didn't mess up the order, and deal with correcting it if they did, as well as cleaning all the nasty white powder left over from the printing process.

EMI94100 wrote:
I am still going to school and my pocket money does not allow me to get it :/
So - I had an other idea. It would be really great for me - and maybe others too - if we could buy only masters from your store to mold them at home
So, if there is any way to offer those, I would be really thankful!

That's an interesting thought, and I'm not sure how that would work. The only thing I'm in possession of is the overall STL file, which Shapeways uses just to print it out. I'm going to wrap my head around a way to cut the cost for the very people who I want to enjoy this puzzle, students in search of inspiration! I may make a pitch for mass production, as the design from Gregoire is so elegant and stable, that I'm sure it would do well. Believe me, if I won the lottery and was rolling in money, I'd be handing out this puzzle like Santa Clause (Claus?) :lol:
But keep the faith, I'll think of something 8-)

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 6:56 am 

I think, better I know, it is not possible to cast this puzzle with master pieces.

There exist smallest pieces or big pieces with thin legs (less than 1 mm) you can't cast with resin. If you split the bigger ones in parts with castable and non castable pieces, you have the problem with glueing together and the roughness.

Bye the way: It is a fantastic turning and playable puzzle.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 9:08 am 

Oh man I need this puzzle!

Hopefully they are still available next spring when I'm finnished school

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 8:16 pm 

Gotter wrote:
Oh man I need this puzzle!

Hopefully they are still available next spring when I'm finnished school

Have no fear! Concentrate on your school work, get good grades and trained for a good job, and don't worry about a thing. I guarantee a puzzle will be waiting for you when you're done :wink:

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 11:45 am 

I am not really into shape-shifting puzzles, but this one has some interesting properties,
that is, its dimensions are three continued odd numbers (3,5,7) which means that this
is the first ever non-trivial-side and non-square cuboid with centers on all axes!
(what did I just say???)

Well done, especially to Greg, and the universe search is finally over!!!

:)

Pantazis

Educational R&D, Gravity, 4D Symmetry, Puzzle Ninja, Matrix Mech, Alien Technology.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 5:16 pm 

kastellorizo wrote:
I am not really into shape-shifting puzzles

Says the man who got his start making magics! :P

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 9:16 pm 

Jared wrote:
kastellorizo wrote:
I am not really into shape-shifting puzzles

Says the man who got his start making magics! :P

Well, I had been making some sort of puzzling pinballs etc, since the... 70s!
(had destroyed a few of my mum's bakery bases, and yeap, she wasn't happy!)
Nothing to do with binary stuff, but some time will go back to that for all to see. :wink:

Apologies for not explaining properly what I meant by shape-shifting. My definition
applies to puzzles which are "strictly twisty" in the Rubik's cube sense.

And unlike certain other puzzles, in the case of the 3x5x7, the mechanism is also novel.

:)

Pantazis

Educational R&D, Gravity, 4D Symmetry, Puzzle Ninja, Matrix Mech, Alien Technology.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 9:29 pm 

kastellorizo wrote:
...well, it was over one year and one day ago.

Check the date Pantazis, this was from 2012! Quite a bump!

Dave ;)

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 9:48 pm 

DLitwin wrote:
kastellorizo wrote:
...well, it was over one year and one day ago.

Check the date Pantazis, this was from 2012! Quite a bump!

Dave ;)

LOL I was just following (always constructively!) the atmosphere of the last (bumping) days.
(plus, this post was soooo inviting because of the dates!)

:mrgreen:

Pantazis

PS. Note: The truth is that I actually royally messed up the dates as I have been dazed from over-
traveling the past thirty days (as well as changing many PCs!). Moreover, I was away from the forum
for a year (mostly 2012), so I had missed out many posts. Apologies if anyone got annoyed.