Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 5:01 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Re: London Olympics 2012
PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 3:54 am 

If Powell had not pulled up injured, this would probably have been the first 100m race in history where all 8 athletes finished in under 10 seconds. And remember, with the recent false start rule changes, it is much more difficult now to go for a fast start to ensure a good time.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 4:57 am 

Tony Fisher wrote:
BTW did anyone notice something being thrown onto the track at the start behind the runners?

Yes I did, it was behind Gatlin and Bolt.

Just read a BBC article where the offender was apparently shouting abuse as well. Luckily it doesn't seem to have affected anything and Gatlin even said that it was 'a little distraction'.
Thankfully the offender has been arrested. Full article: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-19143628

Robert

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 5:39 am 

Ok I know there's a lot of controvery about this, but i'm gonna say it:

the British cheated in biking and possibly rowing.

Rowing: british have a bad start, they are allowed to restart the race. Reasons unsure.

Biking: The englishman fell on purpose and admitted it, but this was discarded by the olympics commitee, on the pretext that he 'doesn't speak english well yet and this was a mistake". but on the video, it's clear he knows what he's talking about. Yet the rules say restart is only allowed in case of a technical problem. It's clear there wasn't one, but the British made sure to make him pass another interview where he said there was a problem. I believe that shouldn't be allowed in the olympics.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IO5QGCzZ ... y_received

My Website on Twisty Puzzles with Gears

Grégoire Pfennig

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 9:47 am 

RubixFreakGreg wrote:
Ok I know there's a lot of controvery about this, but i'm gonna say it:

the British cheated in biking and possibly rowing.

Rowing: british have a bad start, they are allowed to restart the race. Reasons unsure.

Get real. In the rowing the guy's seat fell off! And as the boat is provided by the Olympics organisation, it is completely within the rules to restart the event in such cases. The guys then won absolutely fair and square. How would you feel if that happened to one of your guys? I very much doubt you would say they cheated! :roll:

Admittedly, the cycling incident is shameful, his team mates look embarrassed and ashamed as they should be. It's disturbing that the guy responsible doesn't seem at all ashamed as he explains his unsportsmanlike behaviour. And for those who say it was within the rules, remember the oath that all athletes took together in the opening ceremony to exhibit true sportsmanship, so he should be stripped of his medal, not that he sounds very British anyway. :x

Last edited by KelvinS on Mon Aug 06, 2012 10:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 10:37 am 

I didn't know about the seat, so fine, they didn't cheat there, but the cycling incident was outrageous

My Website on Twisty Puzzles with Gears

Grégoire Pfennig

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 11:01 am 

I agree. As a proud Brit, I would prefer them to renounce their medal after that shameful admission. A medal means nothing without good sportsmanship, and this incident casts a big grey cloud over all those medals won by fair play.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 11:25 am 

Speaking of nationalities, I wish the individual events were non national, like Wimbledon or the US open golf or the Speedcubing WC etc etc. I mean shouldn't each event have the top competitors instead of an artificial spread from different countries? If that means the 100m is full of Americans and Jamaicans then so be it. I know that would spoil the whole structure but to me the pure sport that outweighs everything else.
And yes I know there aren't really individuals any more in sport since each competitor is a mini team of coaches, trainers, physicians etc etc.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 11:48 am 

Tony Fisher wrote:
Speaking of nationalities, I wish the individual events were non national, like Wimbledon or the US open golf or the Speedcubing WC etc etc...
Individuals can compete as independent participants:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Independen ... r_Olympics

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 1:16 pm 

Come on ,London!
Come on,China!
China won the Ping-pong Men’s team tonight.
I'm proud :D .

Attachments:
加油中国.JPG
加油中国.JPG [ 19.39 KiB | Viewed 2052 times ]

Last edited by csgg on Fri Aug 10, 2012 3:47 am, edited 4 times in total.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 11:39 pm 

I watched the men's triathlon this morning. That was a beautiful end by Brownlee. They should all be that classy.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 2:47 am 

katsmom wrote:
I watched the men's triathlon this morning. That was a beautiful end by Brownlee. They should all be that classy.
His time for the 10K meant that he would not have been last in the track 10,000 metres, and that is after 1.5K swim and a 43K bike ride. Amazing. And his brother could have been second had it not been for a slight infraction of the rules at the bike changeover, for which he got a 15 second penalty :(

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 12:25 pm 

Great win for the Dutch women's hockey team in the semi final. Hoping they go all the way.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 1:22 pm 

Wow, I hope they go all the way too. :wink:

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 5:40 pm 

KelvinS wrote:
Wow, I hope they go all the way too. :wink:
:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: I'm sure I have no idea what you mean :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 7:08 pm 

PS. I forgot to say they should wear protection:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RoV8cOo9xLo

Last edited by KelvinS on Thu Aug 09, 2012 5:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 9:01 pm 

Come on guys lets be serious here. These girls are hugely talented and as a Brit I wish we had them in our team. Unfortunately though I suspect most of them will always play for the other side.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 10:00 pm 

Tony Fisher wrote:
Unfortunately though I suspect most of them will always play for the other side.
Shame, but it could still be good to watch them play doubles. :D

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 3:49 pm 

So the athletics finish with a fantastic WR by the Jamaican sprint team.
I have been holding back on this for several years but I can't any longer. I suspect that many athletics in this Olympics (and all the others) have cheated. Consider the evidence. At the beginning of many events we see athletes like Usain Bolt clearly praying. Then when they finish you see him thanking God. Yohan Blake thanked him numerous times after his races and there was even a women runner who kissed a picture of Mary. So from this I am assuming they were given divine help and any atheists in the competition were at a disadvantage.
I know this is a highly controversial subject but seeing how seriously the athletes themselves take it I think it is something we can't ignore. It is certainly not an argument about the existence of God. If he exists then they are clearly cheating. If he doesn't then they still believe they have had help in their victories and seem happy with it. If I was religious taken part in sport I would say "Cheers God I love you and all that but this has to be about just me against my rivals.
I really mean no offence by this and hope both religious people and atheists will understand where I am coming from.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 4:48 pm 

This was a great olympic for us Iranians too, the best one so far!
dood dooroo dood dooroo doo ... IRAN! :)

But the happy feelings were all ruined by the news of the horrible earthquake disaster that happened 2 days ago... :(

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 9:20 pm 

Oh my goodness, the Spice Girls reuniting for the closing. This morning, I was just saying to my wife, they'll probably have them at the show. I was kidding around and then when I checked online surely enough they were appearing. :lol:

Now I know when all the Beatles were alive, just about every music fan was anxious for a reunion. Did I miss the same outcry for the Spice Girls reunion. I'll tell you what I want, what I really, really want, is for them to never sing again! :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 3:35 am 

Up to the closing ceremony I would have given this Olympics 9.9999/10. But why did they have to go and spoil it all by including Russel Brand (who as a stand up comedian suffers from the unfortunate problem that he is not funny, but why the heck was he miming to Beatles songs anyway?) and the Spice girls for deities' sake? And why did Jessie J get to sing with axe god Brian May as a replacement for Freddie? Mat Bellamy would have done a much better job with the vocals, and he could have had a great guitar fight with May! They spoiled the ship for a ha'pworth of tar :twisted: But it was still a Great Olympics and I am proud to be (Great) British!

Tony Fisher wrote:
I know this is a highly controversial subject but seeing how seriously the athletes themselves take it I think it is something we can't ignore. It is certainly not an argument about the existence of God. If he exists then they are clearly cheating. If he doesn't then they still believe they have had help in their victories and seem happy with it. If I was religious taken part in sport I would say "Cheers God I love you and all that but this has to be about just me against my rivals.
I really mean no offence by this and hope both religious people and atheists will understand where I am coming from.
Tony, the things you think about :shock: I'm not sure, but are you trolling or just had too much electric soup :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 5:33 am 

Gus wrote:
Up to the closing ceremony I would have given this Olympics 9.9999/10. But why did they have to go and spoil it all by including Russel Brand (who as a stand up comedian suffers from the unfortunate problem that he is not funny, but why the heck was he miming to Beatles songs anyway?) and the Spice girls for deities' sake? And why did Jessie J get to sing with axe god Brian May as a replacement for Freddie? Mat Bellamy would have done a much better job with the vocals, and he could have had a great guitar fight with May! They spoiled the ship for a ha'pworth of tar :twisted: But it was still a Great Olympics and I am proud to be (Great) British! :

Up until the Spice girls appeared I thought the show was awful and a complete mess. I mean, cars and lorries WTF? I am sure every host city and country has traffic problems so it should hardly be the focus of a show reflecting the uniqueness of the UK. Spice girls appeared though and things got better. I thought Muse were fantastic and ever since they purchased 5000 of my puzzles I have had a soft spot for that group.
Next highlight was Queen, amazing how Freddie can even now steal a show. I actually thought it worked well with Jessie J (someone I don't listen to normally). The problem with these performances is that everyone compares the stand in singer with Freddie and over the years I have seen some awful ones. Jessie made it her own though and I was hugely impressed. Basically of course a lot of this show came down to music taste.
To sum up the games, great opening and closing ceremony, bit inbetween pretty good as well. Worst part was awful TV coverage where they kept leaving the action for pointless VTs or interviews. This meant during events like the Pole Vault I needed a computer for the live streaming along side a TV for the general coverage. In future BBC, prioritise the action!!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 6:08 am 

Tony Fisher wrote:
Worst part was awful TV coverage where they kept leaving the action for pointless VTs or interviews. This meant during events like the Pole Vault I needed a computer for the live streaming along side a TV for the general coverage. In future BBC, prioritise the action!!
I found the coverage of the individual sports was much better using the red button and selecting the sport you wanted to watch. Sometimes it did not have a commentary, but I consider that a bonus :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 11:46 am 

Tony Fisher wrote:
I thought Muse were fantastic and ever since they purchased 5000 of my puzzles I have had a soft spot for that group.

Wait, really? Do tell more!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 12:34 pm 

Chagi wrote:
Tony Fisher wrote:
I thought Muse were fantastic and ever since they purchased 5000 of my puzzles I have had a soft spot for that group.

There you go.

Buy the Curvy Copter Skewb, NovaMinx, and more here!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 12:47 pm 

Luke wrote:
Chagi wrote:
Tony Fisher wrote:

There you go.

Thanks! I find that really cool, Muse being my favourite band and all.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2012 6:08 am 

Muse are awesome! I'm going to see them at the O2 in London on October 26. If it's as good as the concert at Wembley Stadium in Sept'10 then I'll be happy as a pig in $*%^ :shock: