Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Mon Apr 21, 2014 12:05 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Re: PetaMinx MF8 now available!
PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 9:09 am 

Jared wrote:
Sigurd wrote:
I can not appreciate this!
A quote is for you to higlight what I have said. NOT your own opinion.

A ;) is to draw attention to the fact that I am not entirely serious.

Yes I understood that. I still dont like seeing words in my quote that aren't mine.
It's a matter of principle Jared. Please respect that

I once again ask you kindly to edit your post.

My puzzles in the Museum
My Website
My Youtube Channel

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 11:47 am 

Very well, I edited the post.

I've never seen anyone get upset over a FTFY before... I wasn't trying to be mean... :(

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 5:47 pm 

Mine arrived today! :D

I received the package fast, no taxes, there was a label stating that the package was already opened before arriving at the customs office, so they gently re-packed it better. That, plus the relates here in this thread scared me a lot...

i followed Tony's instruction video about losing the caps and inspected all 12 caps

luckly no one was break or even cracked, there were at least 5 screws over tensioned but no cracks, not a single blamish

i have lubed it as it helps to do 4 layers turns

i am not sure that it is a manufacture problem, it seems more an assembly over tensioned problem plus a bad wrapping/packing

also EMS has fame to damage packages, at least here at Brazil so i avoided then

i am posting this to place Hope that mine is perfect, so other users can know that wasn't 100% of the lot that has problems...

also no need to state that MF8 has quality, awesome abs plastic very well finished as expected...

once i had a missing parcel posted from MF8 head office, they promptly refunded me, after 5 months when it finaly arrived i paid then back so they are honest and probably if needed will promptly replace this broken pieces and / or make then strong...

here are some pictures:

photo 510 = you can see here the box is completly ruined, there is a label in the box stating that was re-packed in brazilian customs, this time they were nice... Also you can notice as other already posted in here, that the box is to slopy and to large to acomodate this puzzle, it can kick from one side to another inside it and that is not good considering it's weight

photo 511 = you can see that the stickers are cleverly placed together inside plastic with the petaminx, this helps to avoid losting the stickers on the way to it's destination...

photo 516 = besides the awesome mf8 ice gigaminx.

photo 520 and 521 = no harm inside the center pieces, just 5 overtensioned screws that i loose a bit.

photo 517 = i realise that not only it came just with one single set of stickers, normally this large puzzles came with a spare set, but also did not came with a 13 sticker as black, i do not care about it because as it is a black puzzle, i would not use the black set anyway, but just to mention that it's formmer brothers gigaminx and teraminx had 13 stickers on the set...

Another thing i realise regarding the stickers is that they did not have the sticker's frame, i hope you understand me, usually the stickers came such a way that we can use it's borders, so you can cut extra stickers, but in this case just the piece cuts came and no background sticker paper is here,

if this is due to a new machine that can make this stickers this way no problem, but if the borders were removed then i prefered if they could be sent complete....

photo 518 - i had removed the caps, inspected the screws, lubed the layer and replaced the caps now with the stickers on it, that is to help me knows which caps i had already inspected , i also copied the colors schema from my other teraminx...

Glad that mine is fine, hope yours will be fixed very soon...

kind regards to all :solved:

Attachments:
File comment: petaminx
petaminx.png
petaminx.png [ 611.01 KiB | Viewed 4042 times ]

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 7:24 pm 

My petaminx arrived today and so far so good. No rattling noise inside the puzzle. Not only was I excited, but what started out as a small minx family gathering with the mega, kilo, giga and teras, soon included the holey ones, the crazy ones, the stars (they're so vain they thought the gathering was about them), the crystals and even a skewb who thought it was a minx.

Attachments:
Dodecahedron Family Reunion.JPG
Dodecahedron Family Reunion.JPG [ 2.1 MiB | Viewed 4013 times ]

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 8:44 pm 

5 teraminx's! Holy cow!
-Doug

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 9:40 am 

rubixwiz031 wrote:
5 teraminx's! Holy cow!
-Doug

Well, I started out with the black C4U teraminx because it was the first one out. Then I like the colored centers version, I just wish it was completely colored like the crazy megaminx. When mf8 came out with one, I had to have it, so I found an off white stickered one at a very good price. Then one day I was playing with my v-cube illusion cube and I had a thought, why don't I buy a black and white mf8 version and create a teraminx illusion puzzle. So I found them once again at a good price and stickered, but they look so nice I can't bring myself to remove the stickers. Now do I solve them all, no I like taking them apart and putting them back together.

Here's the scary part, I'm having same thoughts about the petaminx!!!!! :wink: The questions is how many petaminx will I end up with and not have one illusion petaminx?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 9:46 am 

ft38 wrote:
rubixwiz031 wrote:
5 teraminx's! Holy cow!
-Doug

Well, I started out with the black C4U teraminx because it was the first one out. Then I like the colored centers version, I just wish it was completely colored like the crazy megaminx. When mf8 came out with one, I had to have it, so I found an off white stickered one at a very good price. Then one day I was playing with my v-cube illusion cube and I had a thought, why don't I buy a black and white mf8 version and create a teraminx illusion puzzle. So I found them once again at a good price and stickered, but they look so nice I can't bring myself to remove the stickers. Now do I solve them all, no I like taking them apart and putting them back together.

Here's the scary part, I'm having same thoughts about the petaminx!!!!! :wink: The questions is how many petaminx will I end up with and not have one illusion petaminx?

haha thats just crazy! :D But totally fine! I too started out with the C4U Teraminx and later got the Mf8 one. I had to get rid of the C4U one because I dont like to have two of the same puzzle ;)

My puzzles in the Museum
My Website
My Youtube Channel

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 10:16 am 

Sigurd wrote:
I dont like to have two of the same puzzle ;)

I tried the same thing too, but I just can't help myself. Here's the funny thing, my wife and I were standing there and I started adding up what I spent on all the puzzles in the picture. She was initially shocked and then said why don't you get the rest of the crazy megaminx series. :lol:

Now back on topic. So far I have been breaking in the petaminx and I found Pete's idea of lubing the innermost layer to be beneficial. I did attempt to remove one of the caps, but the puzzle is kind of tight, so I gave up on it because I didn't want to damage the pieces. So I will scramble and solve it a few times and hope for the best. If someone from mf8 is reading this post, please consider making it easier to adjust the puzzle by making the center caps similar to the ones on the C4U gigaminx. Also, if I could make one other suggestion, would it be possible to include a few extra pieces, just in case it falls apart? I'm thinking one or 2 extra pieces of each kind.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 2:35 pm 

ft38 wrote:
...what started out as a small minx family gathering with the mega, kilo, giga and teras, soon included the holey ones, the crazy ones, the stars ....., the crystals and even a skewb who thought it was a minx.
When I saw your family gathering photo (I count 23 members), I thought I should make a family photo myself (35 dodecahedra):
OK, two Teraminx only. You win :lol:

EDIT: Here is another photo (one is hidden on the first; which one?)

Last edited by Konrad on Fri Aug 03, 2012 3:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 2:55 pm 

wow! the petaminx looks so good with all the other members :) It's the family mother :D
Konrad 3 pentultimates? Are you gonna get a 4th? ;)

My puzzles in the Museum
My Website
My Youtube Channel

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 2:57 pm 

Fantastic, Konrad!
A few questions.
Who made the pentultimates?
Who made the 3x3 dodecahedron?
Who made the mini starminxes?
What is behind your black pyraminx crystal?
What kind of tiled megaminx is that behind the black flowerminx?

-Doug

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 3:20 pm 

I do not want to hijack this thread, but because you asked I feel obliged to embed my answers below:
rubixwiz031 wrote:
Fantastic, Konrad!
A few questions.
Who made the pentultimates? Tom van der Zanden/Shapeways. Assembled and stickered by Konrad. Stickers by Olivér Nagy and Tom. It is a long story why there are three. I'll tell it when the time comes.
Who made the 3x3 dodecahedron? The one with the B was made by Josh Bostick (wonderful casting job!)Member name Josh B
Who made the mini starminxes? Tom van der Zanden/Shapeways. Assembled and stickered by Konrad. Stickers by Olivér Nagy. I have told the story why there are two a long time ago.
What is behind your black pyraminx crystal? Mass-produced 3x3x3 Dodecahedron
What kind of tiled megaminx is that behind the black flowerminx? An old Megaminx from the 80's with Meffert tiles (Meffert offered tile sets a long time ago.) Actually there are two more of the same kind. At that time I thought I should have three, to pass them on to my three children. :lol:
-Doug

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 7:44 pm 

Konrad wrote:
When I saw your family gathering photo (I count 23 members), I thought I should make a family photo myself (35 dodecahedra):
OK, two Teraminx only. You win :lol:

What a lovely family. I'll gladly trade 3 teraminx for the mulit-dodecahedron and the flowerminx. :) Those are 2 more puzzles on my wish list. Now back to working on my petaminx.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 4:38 pm 

I wonder how many of these there are actually made. I know its hard to get an exact answer.
Actually I am more worried if I have to buy one now, to make sure to get one.
Or can I wait and hopefully see a smaller pricedrop to ~$200

and hopefully Mf8 can adress the issues with all the broken centers etc. that are showing.
Is it a production issue? Or does the reseller fail to wrap it up properly.

My puzzles in the Museum
My Website
My Youtube Channel

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 11:39 am 

Yesterday I received my substitute from Calvin (HkNowStore).

Too bad that is was broken again. It seemed to have been carefully packed EXCEPT for one side...One center was broken really bad, but no parts were displaced.

The center itself was completely fractured around the inner ring. The center's shaft was completely ripped off of the base of the piece. Also, there were fractures to two inner edges, where the long and thin base was broken near the flexure.

I disassembled the affected side of the Petaminx and rebuilt the broken center using almost 10 ml of epoxy glue. I did not go for apoxie sculpt, because the glue dries earlier and grants a lot more semi-hardened flexibility for later corrections on the specific part. I had to work pretty accurate to insure a central position of the shaft, which took me almost an hour. Then I glued the pins of the broken edges. Dryin gin a sunny place took about 20 hours overnight to insure everything is hardened out.

Today I reassembled the Puzzle. I have to say I'm quite happy with the results as the puzzle turns smoothly around all sides (except one, I have yet to figure out, what the problem is, maybe disassembling once may help).

But along with many other people in these thread being affected by fractued Petaminxes I CAN NOT RECOMMEND BUYING IT over all. This is only my personal opinion. A pricey puzzle like this should be designed in a way which does not allow the puzzle to break so easily.

I recommend to send it without the center caps as the are the highest point of this puzzle. The center below will break with quite low force applied to it. I assume, this helps a lot.

Maybe I will fill in the centers with apoxie sculpt to prevent other damages to them, but I will sticker the puzzle before.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 11:42 am 

Oh wow.. that sure is disappointing to find it again broken :(

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 12:54 pm 

This is the biggest, heaviest (?) twisty puzzle ever. I juts think (confirmed by Rox) that the packaging they have used so far (random amounts of paper, bubble wrap and parcel tape) is not sufficient to protect this puzzle from the vagaries of international post. As the puzzle costs over $200 I think that they should have some custom packaging to ensure it arrives in perfect condition.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 2:21 pm 

My idea is that sturdy solid white squeaky packing stuff that you find around microwaves and such in their boxes, in the shape of that petaminx so it sits tight and can't move and in that stuff you can even drop the thing and it will be safe.

Post subject: Re: PetaMinx MF8 now available! (popping and patterns)
PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 5:37 am 

Hi all,

My original idea was to post a series of puictures showing several stages of my solving process. But that would have been the exact same picyures as Kondar posted, amazing howhis strategy resembled mine!

Ont the way I had some popping problems:

Image Image

I think I loosened the tension on the light blue face a bit to much. I managed to get the pieces in again. As promised: after solving it I set to work on a snake pattern. The petaminx has enough resolution for two! Please check this thread for pictures

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 6:53 am 

Kattenvriendin wrote:
that sturdy solid white squeaky packing stuff

Expanded Polystyrene

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 8:29 am 

Thank you!

I only know it by its Dutch name: piepschuim. :)

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 2:09 pm 

Telow wrote:
Yesterday I received my substitute from Calvin (HkNowStore).

Too bad that is was broken again. It seemed to have been carefully packed EXCEPT for one side...One center was broken really bad, but no parts were displaced.

... .

Please send me an email about this. I shall post you the replacement center piece.

- from Hong Kong