Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Thu Jul 24, 2014 3:06 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Burgo's Shapeways collection
PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 8:11 am 

Hi Puzzling Friends,

Today I took a few photos of my Shapeways puzzles to share with you. The most recent 2 are the Multidodecahedron and Master Starminx. I m fairly happy with my little collection as it's coming along. All have been unique and good challenges and I would recommend any of them :) .

David Pitcher's Fracture6
Tom van der Zanden's Multidodecahedron
Eric Vergo's Master Starminx
Eitan Cher's Master Curvey Copter
Mike Armbrust's Mini Mixup

Attachment:
Shapeways Collection.jpg
Shapeways Collection.jpg [ 1.11 MiB | Viewed 1865 times ]
Attachment:
MD & MS.jpg
MD & MS.jpg [ 631.23 KiB | Viewed 1865 times ]
Attachment:
MD & MS 2.jpg
MD & MS 2.jpg [ 1.04 MiB | Viewed 1865 times ]
Attachment:
mccopter.jpg
mccopter.jpg [ 1.24 MiB | Viewed 1865 times ]

PB 3x3 55sec Jan 2011 (When I was a kid 1:30 was speedcubing so I'm stoked).
1st 3x3 Earth (nemesis) solve Jan 2011 My You Tube (Now has ALLCrazy 3X3 Planets with Reduction)

Post subject: Re: Burgo's Shapeways collection
PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 10:46 am 

That's wonderful !
I would also like to own them, they are so beautiful and challenging !

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 11:17 am 

Very nice! Excellent choice of puzzles. How long did the Master Curvy Copter take you to solve? The first time it took me about 3 hours. About 30 minutes of that was spent unjumbling it. Most of the time was spent in the cycling because I struggled to deal with and fix the orbits of the chiral pieces. I reduced to a Curvy Copter where the inner and outer layers get paired up so on the reduced puzzle you turn both layers at the same time.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 1:52 pm 

B-E-A-utiful! I would suggest the Dino 3x3 as your next puzzle.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 3:19 pm 

Very nice!
We have an overlap of two: The Mixup and the Multi-D.
Many of my Shapeways puzzles have the tendency to get mass-produced later. :lol:
The Multi-D is probably not in this category.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 8:28 pm 

Hi Friends,
Thanks for the nice comments!
bmenrigh wrote:
How long did the Master Curvy Copter take you to solve? The first time it took me about 3 hours. About 30 minutes of that was spent unjumbling it. Most of the time was spent in the cycling because I struggled to deal with and fix the orbits of the chiral pieces. I reduced to a Curvy Copter where the inner and outer layers get paired up so on the reduced puzzle you turn both layers at the same time.
I solved it quite a long time ago and, honestly I am in need of a revisit, which is the fun part :) .

I haven't solved it from jumbled yet, I had great suspicions about the difficulty of changing the orbits of the Chiral Pieces, and it sounds like they were warranted. I solved the jumbling when it was unstickered, and that was tough because, unstickered you immediately lose your bearings. The jumbling was very difficult and my method for the last few pieces was nowhere near as neat or pure as yours.

From memory, for the unjumbled solve I used combinations of commutative slice turns etc, using helicopter moves to reduce the corners and centres to a Curvy Copter. My reducing order went: Chiral pieces, Centre tips, slice Corners, slice Edges. But it was mostly commutator based, and so is my standard Helicopter method. On this puzzle I explored sequences before I scrambled it.

Cheers,
Burgo.

PB 3x3 55sec Jan 2011 (When I was a kid 1:30 was speedcubing so I'm stoked).
1st 3x3 Earth (nemesis) solve Jan 2011 My You Tube (Now has ALLCrazy 3X3 Planets with Reduction)

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 12:16 am 

Excellent!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 12:58 am 

Burgo wrote:
[...]I haven't solved it from jumbled yet, I had great suspicions about the difficulty of changing the orbits of the Chiral Pieces, and it sounds like they were warranted.
It wasn't terrible difficult but I was mid-way through the reduction when I started the chiral pieces and I wanted to maintain my work. The orbits ended up being quite a brain teaser and took a ton of time. You should give it a try :)

Burgo wrote:
I solved the jumbling when it was unstickered, and that was tough because, unstickered you immediately lose your bearings. The jumbling was very difficult and my method for the last few pieces was nowhere near as neat or pure as yours.
This was my first 2-layer "master" jumbling puzzle I've tried to solve so it was somewhat new but I have an unfair advantage in that I've solved the Unbandaged Helicopter Cube so many times that I can spot all of the HC jumbling cases really fast. For the unjumbling I mostly paired up the jumbling in the slice with the jumbling of the outer part and then unjumbled them together. This was a neat challenge. I didn't pair exclusively though, sometime I handled just the outer or inner jumbling all by itself when I couldn't find a way to pair it up.

For some really strange reason, I find unjumbling an unstickered puzzle easier than a stickered one. With jumbling the colors are very distracting because they mean nothing. Without stickers I'm able to concentrate on the geometry.

Burgo wrote:
From memory, for the unjumbled solve I used combinations of commutative slice turns etc, using helicopter moves to reduce the corners and centres to a Curvy Copter. My reducing order went: Chiral pieces, Centre tips, slice Corners, slice Edges. But it was mostly commutator based, and so is my standard Helicopter method. On this puzzle I explored sequences before I scrambled it.

Cheers,
Burgo.

I first paired up the big outer helicopter cube triangles to the small inner ones using standard HC stuff ([3,1] commutator mostly).

I then paired up the chiral pieces to those triangles using [3,1] commutators. I focused on one orbit and then the next. This involved moving around the chiral pieces between their orbits to match up with the paired small and big HC triangles.

I then paired up the bar pieces to the corners [3,1].

I then paired up the corner tippies to the corners [3,1] pure.

I then fixed the orbits of the groups of pieces and then solved the reduced puzzle.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 4:53 am 

Hi Burgo,

congratulations to your very nice interesting Shapeways puzzles.
How many hours did you work, to assemble it ? Excellent choice.
I 'm impressed. Much fun to solve each of them.

Cheers,
Andrea

(edit)
PS: thank you for sharing this pictures.