Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Wed Apr 23, 2014 3:12 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Timur's Trapentrix
PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 1:29 pm 

Hi!

As you may remember, my Biaxe is a puzzle with a very simple "interface" (2 rotation axes with 4 positions allowed for each) and hard behaviour (due to presence of stored cuts).

Trapentrix is an attempt to make Biaxe at least a little bit easier. It has 2 axes too, but each with only 3 allowed positions. Another difference with Biaxe is that here I decided to truncate the sharp corners to have nice regular pentagonal faces. Actually it does not matter - sharp corners do not bring anything new.

There is an interesting thing about the mechanism. Unlike Biaxe and its close relative Constellation Six, Trapentrix absolutely does not need any fudging when drawn on the Jaap's sphere (when the conical cuts radially go to the sphere's center). But because cutting planes of the solid do not pass through the center, hidden cavities arise between the sphere and the solid's surface. You can see them in the last two pictures.

Why did I call it Trapentrix? Because the faces of this puzzle are TRAPezia, PENTagons and TRIangles. Moreover, playing with this puzzle is a TRAP ENTRY, because it looks deceptively simple, but is really challenging.

I think that this puzzle is my favourite discovery in the irregular geometry. It has relatively few parts, only one cutting plane for each axis and only 4 faces to solve. It neither shape-shifts nor jumbles. There's no bandaging and hidden parts. All you can do is turn one of the two corners left or right. This poor choice makes you feel helpless rather than easy.

Still I could not find any information about this solid and I don't know whether it has a name. Do you?

YouTube VIDEO

Attachment:
ALIM4249.JPG
ALIM4249.JPG [ 143.42 KiB | Viewed 4316 times ]

Attachment:
ALIM4246.JPG
ALIM4246.JPG [ 147.28 KiB | Viewed 4316 times ]

Attachment:
ALIM4247.JPG
ALIM4247.JPG [ 108.37 KiB | Viewed 4316 times ]

Attachment:
ALIM4248.JPG
ALIM4248.JPG [ 117.12 KiB | Viewed 4316 times ]

Attachment:
ALIM4252.JPG
ALIM4252.JPG [ 137.79 KiB | Viewed 4316 times ]

Attachment:
ALIM4250.JPG
ALIM4250.JPG [ 110.36 KiB | Viewed 4316 times ]

Attachment:
ALIM4251.JPG
ALIM4251.JPG [ 122.59 KiB | Viewed 4316 times ]

Post subject: Re: Timur's Trapentrix
PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 1:49 pm 

Great puzzle with a unique look. Please enable me/us to vote for this puzzle at the International Puzzle Design Competition!

Oskar

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 1:50 pm 

What, "easier" with that cut depth? :lol:
When looking at the first picture I was about to yell "tridiminished icosahedron", but then I looked at the other pictures and actually read the text. I like the shape, very clever.
I also really like your line of 'simple' puzzles, complexity arising from simplicity. I also like your accent :D
Summary: I really like it.

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 7:04 pm 

Is this another of those "deeper than deep cut" puzzles?

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 9:38 pm 

Seems like very difficult......

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 11:51 pm 

Jared wrote:
Is this another of those "deeper than deep cut" puzzles?

I would say so. If the shallower part is considered to turn, it would move the other axis of turning.

Other thoughts: this puzzle is a subset of a FTI, explaining the lack of need for fudging. If it were to be "restored" to a full icosahedron, the cut depth wouldn't be that deep.

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 1:58 am 

I love how almost all of your puzzles are tetrahedral based or look related to the tetrahedron. You've found so much complexity in such a simple shape.

Another great puzzle.

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 4:31 am 

On one thread we are discussing the Big Chop and all its complexity, and on this one we have a puzzle with only two faces which can turn, and all its complexity. This forum is brilliant :lol:

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 5:22 am 

Very nice puzzle. I really like this one.
Timur wrote:
There is an interesting thing about the mechanism. Unlike Biaxe and its close relative Constellation Six, Trapentrix absolutely does not need any fudging when drawn on the Jaap's sphere (when the conical cuts radially go to the sphere's center). But because cutting planes of the solid do not pass through the center, hidden cavities arise between the sphere and the solid's surface. You can see them in the last two pictures.
I'll have to watch the YouTube video when I get home. Do the cavities cause any issues with turning? And if I understand you correctly, you are saying that these cavities could have been filled if you used conical instead of planar cuts, is that correct? If so what would this puzzle look like with conical cuts if this external shape was maintained?

And I agree with Gus. I love how the nature of twisty puzzles hides all this complexity. Its clear (as with the Big Chop) that you can get more complex by adding more. But the ability to find more complexity with less (in this case cut planes) is very counter intuitive. Stuff like this not only gives me a greater appreciation of twisty puzzles and their designers but geometry in general.

On a related note... has anyone done a full scramble and solve on either the Constellation Six or Biaxe yet?

Carl

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 5:34 am 

Beautiful! Brilliant! Amazing!

How has no one thought of this before?! It's such an eloquent and simple, yet perplexing design - the best kind of design.
It is also quite a curious little puzzle - the smaller triangles quite unexpectedly come in two distinct orbits! :shock:
It also makes a perfect candidate for my developing theory on relations...

Ingenius build :wink:

Peace,
Matt Galla

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 8:37 am 

Oskar wrote:
Please enable me/us to vote for this puzzle at the International Puzzle Design Competition!
I was thinking about this :)
Coaster1235 wrote:
What, "easier" with that cut depth? :lol:
Do you mean comparison with Biaxe? Biaxe has the same cut depth, so yes, this one is easier!
Coaster1235 wrote:
Other thoughts: this puzzle is a subset of a FTI, explaining the lack of need for fudging.
I didn't think this way before, but I see you're right. The solid of Trapentrix can simply be inscribed in an icosahedron and that explains pretty much :)
Attachment:
Icosahedron.JPG
Icosahedron.JPG [ 8.6 KiB | Viewed 3800 times ]
wwwmwww wrote:
Do the cavities cause any issues with turning?
No, because each element is connected to the spherical mechanism, where there's not cavities.
wwwmwww wrote:
And if I understand you correctly, you are saying that these cavities could have been filled if you used conical instead of planar cuts, is that correct?
Correct.
wwwmwww wrote:
If so what would this puzzle look like with conical cuts if this external shape was maintained?
It would have all curvy cuts and probably the fixed core part that is normally hidden between trapeziodal faces would be visible. Here's what the conical cuts on the sphere look like:
Attachment:
Sphere_2.JPG
Sphere_2.JPG [ 48.27 KiB | Viewed 3844 times ]

Attachment:
Sphere_1.JPG
Sphere_1.JPG [ 59.4 KiB | Viewed 3844 times ]

wwwmwww wrote:
has anyone done a full scramble and solve on either the Constellation Six or Biaxe yet?
I can say it for sure about Biaxe - no one, because I possess the only build of this puzzle. I didn't hear about solving Constellation Six, so I admit that someone could have possibly solved it and didn't share :) There are about 6 copies of this puzzle in total.
Allagem wrote:
It is also quite a curious little puzzle - the smaller triangles quite unexpectedly come in two distinct orbits!
Wow, really! I couldn't beleive it and checked that, but it is so.

Last edited by Timur on Fri May 25, 2012 10:21 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 8:45 am 

Beautiful. It is amazing how the search for simplicity can find so much complexity!

I also agree that this is deeper than origin turning. It is interesting to note that both this puzzle and the RotoPrism 2 (also deeper cut than origin) share the property of having hidden cavities. I wonder if this is an inherent quality of such puzzles? If any other deeper than origin geometries are found, I will be curious as to whether they will have hidden cavities too.

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 12:21 pm 

Playing with this shape in Solidworks, I noticed that it would be possible to slice it differently, creating a shape-shifting puzzle with four axes. I made a couple of "test turn" assemblies, and although it does get blocked often, I believe it could actually be scrambled. I've attached a few images to show what I'm talking about.

Here's the basic shape with one of the axes highlighted:
Attachment:
icosa tridi plus one with tips skew cut.JPG
icosa tridi plus one with tips skew cut.JPG [ 37.59 KiB | Viewed 3763 times ]

Here's the shape after one turn on the previously highlighted axis:
Attachment:
icosa tridi plus one with tips skew cut turn 1.JPG
icosa tridi plus one with tips skew cut turn 1.JPG [ 34.33 KiB | Viewed 3763 times ]

And here it is after two turns:
Attachment:
icosa tridi plus one with tips skew cut turn 2.JPG
icosa tridi plus one with tips skew cut turn 2.JPG [ 23.46 KiB | Viewed 3763 times ]

It's hard to see without being able to look around the shape, but there are still available turns.

As a related question, do we have a term for shape-shifting puzzles that do not reveal any inner surfaces after a turn is complete? I think this concept would be such a puzzle, and the TriTangle also qualifies. There must be others too.

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 1:42 pm 

David's take on the shape is also icosahedron-based, with these four faces. An interesting shape! Challenge: combine Timur's and David's ones :twisted:
Attachment:
pitcherspentrix.png
pitcherspentrix.png [ 30.44 KiB | Viewed 3719 times ]

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 4:25 pm 

wwwmwww wrote:
On a related note... has anyone done a full scramble and solve on either the Constellation Six or Biaxe yet?

I found that pytlivyj_1 solved Constellation Six,
see http://twistypuzzles.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=20187

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2012 10:03 am 

It's brilliant.

Thomas

Post subject: Re: Timur's Trapentrix (at Shapeways)
PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 9:22 am 

This puzzle is now available in my Shapeways shop (from $83,70 in WSF).

Link

Assembled and stickered version can be ordered directly from me.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 11:58 pm 

L R L R' L R' L' R L' R L' R L' R L' R' L R' L' R' L R' L R L' R L' R L' R L' R L R'

8-)