Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Fri Jul 25, 2014 1:58 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours



Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: Compy Block Puzzle by Electronickid
PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 10:48 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Dec 19, 2011 2:07 pm
Location: Incheon, South Korea
:!: Bad English Warning! :!:

Hello.

I am an elementary puzzle inventor, and this puzzle is my first "invention", which became a KO puzzle few minutes ago.

I cannot use English well, so please pardon me even if I make some grammatical mistakes.



I got the idea at February 5th, when I was thinking of a new idea for a puzzle modding idea contest in my favorite puzzle community.

Attachment:
File comment: first design.
compy_block_whwjdgnl007.png
compy_block_whwjdgnl007.png [ 6.21 KiB | Viewed 2096 times ]


The motive was "Let's mix two ideas together, Compy Cube and Mosaic Block!"

I felt that it was so cool. So about 5 days later I started designing.

This design was from just my head.

I didn't know this idea existed because I searched just "museum" page to find out whether it is suggested already.





And uploaded the results to shapeways.

After get about $83, I ordered and waited for UPS.



Attachment:
File comment: the box
IMG_0191.jpg
IMG_0191.jpg [ 725.85 KiB | Viewed 2096 times ]


Attachment:
IMG_0199.jpg
IMG_0199.jpg [ 2.16 MiB | Viewed 2096 times ]



But there was big problem on it: shapeways printed it a little bigger(0.05~0.1mm).

It may have no matter in the case on big pieces, but in this model, because of the difference it gets quite big gap that cannot be ignored.

I couldn't assemble it because of the gaps. It couldn't be assembled!



So, I started to polishing with my hand.

The method was...

Attachment:
File comment: It is just rubbing two pieces together that meets like this photo.

The pieces sand each other.

IMG_0209.jpg
IMG_0209.jpg [ 1.92 MiB | Viewed 2096 times ]


This proces stook about 8 days because there was over 100 small pieces in this puzzle.

It was a little hard but I was happy to make.



Finally, the polishing had been over.

And I washed the pieces and finished to assembling.


Attachment:
File comment: boiling pieces to remove all powder.
IMG_0212.jpg
IMG_0212.jpg [ 1.65 MiB | Viewed 2096 times ]

Attachment:
IMG_0214.jpg
IMG_0214.jpg [ 2.1 MiB | Viewed 2096 times ]

Attachment:
IMG_0215.jpg
IMG_0215.jpg [ 2 MiB | Viewed 2096 times ]

Attachment:
IMG_0216.jpg
IMG_0216.jpg [ 1.9 MiB | Viewed 2096 times ]

Attachment:
File comment: I added very big chamfer because of problems on struct.
IMG_0217.jpg
IMG_0217.jpg [ 2.02 MiB | Viewed 2096 times ]




And took the first video happily.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kBlAfPE4kHg

After some playing I painted it with my markers and dried it.

(because the puzzle's face was too small to make and put the sticker.)

Attachment:
IMG_0222.jpg
IMG_0222.jpg [ 1.89 MiB | Viewed 2096 times ]


I was very happy with my invention. I "Played" it as a toy, and even found the solution on this puzzle.

Attachment:
File comment: after some solves. little dirty.
IMG_0257.jpg
IMG_0257.jpg [ 2.01 MiB | Viewed 2096 times ]










But,

everything turned into a bubble.

It was an 'existing idea' after this topic : http://twistypuzzles.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=20686

There was even very advanced idea of it : curvy version.

I was very disappointed and became powerless.

Yes. I made KO puzzle against my will.

I'm very sad now although I am introducing a new puzzle.

I didn't put it on shop because it did not made to sell and is very unstable.

Thank you for reading this poor and long topic.

Have a good day.

_________________
Only the truth will lead me to the right way.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Compy Block Puzzle by Electronickid
PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 10:55 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jun 03, 2010 2:25 pm
Location: Farmington, NM
This is very well done, even if you have already made an existing puzzle! You should show some more pictures of turning and maybe make a video of it.

_________________
Autism Speaks can go away. I have Autism. I can speak for myself.

"You say tomater, I zader matermorts." - Coach Z


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Compy Block Puzzle by Electronickid
PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 11:06 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jan 16, 2010 11:48 am
Location: In Front Of My Teraminx (saying WTF?)
Even though it was first made by oskar, I like this version as well !

But please, please dye it black and add stickers, because painting it was probably your biggest mistake because even though it was nice looking you made it unattractive. The good thing is you can still dye over the color and add stickers then =)

EDIT: It's not *just* an idea, it has been made already

_________________
My Shapeways Shop!
My Designs
My Official Results
My Website on Twisty Puzzles with Gears

Grégoire Pfennig


Last edited by RubixFreakGreg on Fri Apr 06, 2012 11:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Compy Block Puzzle by Electronickid
PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 11:10 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Sep 16, 2010 4:35 am
I don't think it would be considered a KO. You have every right to make any puzzle you want as long as it's for yourself and not for profit.

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Compy Block Puzzle by Electronickid
PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 11:18 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jul 30, 2001 2:50 am
Location: Nottingham, UK
Oh Wow!
That looks... complicated... :shock:
I like it very much!
Vadim


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Compy Block Puzzle by Electronickid
PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 8:57 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Dec 19, 2011 2:07 pm
Location: Incheon, South Korea
Thank you. Now I can smile again.

I didn't notice that Mosaic block works perfectly same with it.

I thought that Mosaic block can have more types of turn: for example, 2-layer turn. It was wrong.

Well... now it have been more surer that it was not a new puzzle and wasn't a "invention."

I will just regard it as a memory and as an experience of 3d printing.

I'll not and cannot dye it. There is no dye in my house and I felt that I need not to buy the dye and cut the sticker.



My second puzzle will be more refined and will look better [if I can print it. I am a middle school student and the printing cost is very expensive thing for me.].

Thank you once more.

_________________
Only the truth will lead me to the right way.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Compy Block Puzzle by Electronickid
PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 11:26 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Dec 06, 2011 7:19 pm
Nice mechanism. I have been waiting for this puzzle. Shapeways messed it up a little?

_________________
This is a signature.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Compy Block Puzzle by Electronickid
PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 11:35 am 
Offline

Joined: Sun Dec 06, 2009 9:00 am
oBNoo wrote:
I don't think it would be considered a KO. You have every right to make any puzzle you want as long as it's for yourself and not for profit.


Agreed!

I really like this version, I especially like the way the corners are visible all the way down to the center pieces (a detail that was in Oskar's Mosaic version).

I'm very curious on your solving strategy.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Compy Block Puzzle by Electronickid
PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 12:01 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Dec 02, 2004 12:09 pm
Location: Missouri
ElectronicKid wrote:
And took the first video happily.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kBlAfPE4kHg
Youtube tells me the video is private. Was that intentional? I'd love to see it. Congrats on you first puzzle. I find it very interesting the way you pulled it off with planar cuts. Oskar's uses hyperbolic cuts and my version if/when I get around to it would have spherical cuts. I actually consider the use of planar cuts here and how you pulled that off original and I wouldn't call this a KO.

I like it. If you are worried about it being a KO I'd contact Oskar and get his opinion. If he didn't object I don't see how anyone else could.

Carl

_________________
-
Image

Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Compy Block Puzzle by Electronickid
PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 5:39 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Mar 22, 2003 9:11 am
Location: Marin, CA
Very well done!

You're always free to make copies of puzzles for yourself, even if it's been made before. Oskar explicitly allows this, although I think it's ethical under all circumstances.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Compy Block Puzzle by Electronickid
PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 8:29 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Dec 19, 2011 2:07 pm
Location: Incheon, South Korea
Letti wrote:
Nice mechanism. I have been waiting for this puzzle. Shapeways messed it up a little?


there was two problems on it.

1. Pieces are a little bit thick (as wrote above)
- I can understand it. I think it was unavoidable thing because of its process.

2. One Piece is bad.
-It bulged out a little. I can guess that the powder was "united" like a ball. but It doesn't matter to play.

_________________
Only the truth will lead me to the right way.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Compy Block Puzzle by Electronickid
PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 8:47 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Dec 19, 2011 2:07 pm
Location: Incheon, South Korea
wwwmwww wrote:
ElectronicKid wrote:
And took the first video happily.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kBlAfPE4kHg
Youtube tells me the video is private. Was that intentional? I'd love to see it.


AAH, My mistake!

Now you will be able to see it ^^;;

_________________
Only the truth will lead me to the right way.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 5 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: katsmom, rakaCN and 26 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  

Forum powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group