Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 2:10 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Re: Compy/Dino Cuboid
PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 2:14 pm 

David Pitcher wrote:
... is anyone going to produce this beautiful puzzle idea?Image
You mean a curvy shape mod of a simplified version of the Mosaic Block?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 2:30 pm 

Oskar wrote:
You mean a curvy shape mod of a simplified version of the Mosaic Block?
Yes, that is what I mean. The mosaic block is quite an impressive puzzle, but I find the simplicity and the curves of this concept to be very seductive. I'd love to see it become a reality too.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 2:33 pm 

Oskar wrote:
David Pitcher wrote:
... is anyone going to produce this beautiful puzzle idea
You mean a curvy shape mod of a simplified version of the?

My plan is to make this:
and also offer this core as part of the kit.
This way both puzzles could be made with the same pieces. It's on my to-do list and I hope to get there in the next few months. One puzzle is ahead of this on my to-do list and I've also got a few puzzles to assemble, break-in, and sticker. Just need more free time.

Carl

P.S. Oskar if you beat me to the punch could you make yours the Mosaic version?

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 3:38 pm 

Bram wrote:
Maybe the most unique puzzle which grew out of this discussion is Oskar's Bubble Block. And I'm glad I can say I got to see this puzzle first hand at G4G10. However its geometry still confuses me. It has 4 axes of rotation but I don't know if they all meet at the same point or not. ...

I currently have this puzzle in pieces, haven't yet assembled it completely but looking at the core i can say for sure that all the axes share one origin, all the cuts are at the same depth, and the angels between the axes are different.

I added the varying angels between cuts rule specifically for the Hexagonish Block and the Bubble Block.

Bram wrote:
What about puzzles with icosahedral symmetry and fairly deep cuts? Those have varying depth and angles, but no offset axes or stored cuts.

I can't really picture what it is that your describing but judging by what your saying no I wouldn't consider this to be boublized.

wwwmwww wrote:
What about all the Siamese cubes? I think what differentiates the Siamese puzzles from the boublized puzzles is that some (not necessarily all) pieces can be moved from one core (intersection of two or more turning axes) to another.

When you say Siamese cubes what my mind immediately goes to is two puzzles glued together. So I'm going to look at just one of then say that individually they are not boublized. The reason for that being is the stored cut is not caused by any of the three criteria, but instead bandaging.

David Pitcher wrote:
... already have their own self-explanatory names (multiple origins, varying angles between axes, stored cuts, etc.). Given this, I'm inclined to say that despite the incredible creative outpouring that this thread inspired, we don't really have a new phenomenon that needs a new name.

Though I'm hesitant to say so I see were your coming from and think you may be right.

wwwmwwww wrote:
This way both puzzles could be made with the same pieces. It's on my to-do list and I hope to get there in the next few months. One puzzle is ahead of this on my to-do list and I've also got a few puzzles to assemble, break-in, and sticker. Just need more free time.

I'd really like to see this happen :D

Okar wrote:
P.S.On 12 April, I am the last speaker at the 2012 Dutch Mathematical Congress. My primary goal is to introduce jumbling and boublizing to professional mathematicians and get at least one student or PhD to start studying these phenomena.

I can't wait to hear how this turns out.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 4:17 pm 

boublez wrote:
Bram wrote:
Maybe the most unique puzzle which grew out of this discussion is Oskar's Bubble Block. And I'm glad I can say I got to see this puzzle first hand at G4G10. However its geometry still confuses me. It has 4 axes of rotation but I don't know if they all meet at the same point or not. ...
Was that Bram? ;)
boublez wrote:
I currently have this puzzle in pieces, haven't yet assembled it completely but looking at the core i can say for sure that all the axes share one origin, all the cuts are at the same depth, and the angels between the axes are different.
Well I had figured out all the axes crossed from Oskar's comment here.
Oskar wrote:
Once you get it together please offer a review. I talked to Oskar at G4G10 about this puzzle specifically and I believe he had stated that no one has yet solved this puzzle. This puzzle is very high on my wish list too. To me the geometry aspects of this particular object interest me even more then the puzzle aspect. Its so hard to understand from looking at 2D pictures and it still confuses me while actually holding the 3D object. Its a very puzzling little object which also happens to be a puzzle.

Carl

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2012 9:24 pm 

Did we ever finalize on a name for these Compy/Dino Cuboids? We will need to soon. I'm sorry its taken me a year+ to get my POV-Ray model into Solidworks, but this is about to go to Shapeways.

This will be my first model (which I've made myself) which requires screws and makes use of caps, etc.

As for names, there are two notations discussed in the thread, GuiltyBystander's and Bram's. GuiltyBystander was first so I'm inclined to go with his. The whole idea sprang from boublez's idea and that sounds a bit like bubble. And bubbles are generally spherical and I'm using spherical cuts on this puzzle where each sphere is centered on the vertex of a cuboid. So at the moment I'm inclined to call this the Bubbloid122. I think that is a good naming scheme for these Compy/Dino Cuboids made with spherical cuts. Any concerns, comments, etc?

And here is the 3D PDF if the above picture isn't enough.

http://wwwmwww.com/Puzzle/BZ/Bubbloid122.PDF

Enjoy,
Carl

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 6:55 pm 

I hope you enjoy this...

See what just came in the mail

Carl

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 7:32 pm 

This already looks great I can't wait to see how it works all broken in.