Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Wed Apr 23, 2014 4:48 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Weave Six by BRAM and OSKAR
PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 1:21 pm 

Hi Non-Twisty Puzzles fans,

Weave Six is a six-banded puzzle ring, designed by Bram Cohen. According to Bram: "I think [this ring design] is clearly superior both based some technical criteria and aesthetics."

Watch the YouTube video.
Buy the puzzle at my Shapeways Shop.
Read more at the Shapeways Forum.
Check out the photos below.

Enjoy!

Oskar
Attachment:
Weave-Six-001.jpg
Weave-Six-001.jpg [ 29.46 KiB | Viewed 1488 times ]

Attachment:
Weave-Six-002.jpg
Weave-Six-002.jpg [ 27.73 KiB | Viewed 1488 times ]

Attachment:
Weave-Six-003.jpg
Weave-Six-003.jpg [ 25.49 KiB | Viewed 1488 times ]

Attachment:
Weave-Six-004.jpg
Weave-Six-004.jpg [ 34.02 KiB | Viewed 1488 times ]

Attachment:
Weave-Six-005.jpg
Weave-Six-005.jpg [ 30.8 KiB | Viewed 1488 times ]

Post subject: Re: Weave Six by BRAM and OSKAR
PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 11:03 am 

The secret behind this ring design:
Bram Cohen (Facebook) wrote:
This particular design is based on making each of the six bands be linked to exactly three of the others, with no two bands which lie against each other in the solution being linked.
Oskar

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 11:19 am 

I have a question about puzzle rings... in particular puzzle rings offered on Shapeways. I can't say I have any puzzle rings in my collection at the moment but what does appeal to me about them is that they can be worn. As such, does Shapeways offer a way a buyer could enter a ring size and have the model scaled accordingly? Or would the seller have to make a model for each ring size they offered? Or am I missing the point... maybe these are more often sold just for the puzzle aspects and rarely worn.

Carl

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 11:25 am 

wwwmwww wrote:
As such, does Shapeways offer a way a buyer could enter a ring size and have the model scaled accordingly? Or would the seller have to make a model for each ring size they offered?
Carl,

Shapeways offers the possibility for designers to personalize items. My personalized Treasure Chest is an example. The buyer enters his/her personal text and I upload an updated model.

I could do the same for puzzle rings. However, only Rox seems to wear them. So I have them all matching Bram's ring size. If anyone asks, I am open to personalize the size of any ring that I am selling.

Oskar

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 4:48 pm 

As Oskar quoted me saying above, the main point of this ring is that each band is linked to exactly three others, and those don't include the ones right next to it. Getting the puzzles to be scrambleable with that constraint was quite difficult. I guess the bands swiveling out is innovative, in that it hasn't been used much in actual built rings before, but it's a phenomenon which shows up constantly in theoretical designs. In this design, after first band swivels out quite a bit it lets the second one swivel out, which then immediately lets the third one swivel out, followed immediately by the fourth, etc. After that first band the whole rest of it can be scrambled in one big spiral motion.

The main problem with designing this one was that the bands really, really want to have the phenomenon where they need to pass through each other to scramble. I was able to avoid that by having them pile up from one side to the other, sort of. In order to make it work I had to give up on the usual phenomenon of making it so that when you hold one band the ones linked to it naturally lie flat at the wrong orientations relative to each other. (Obviously with three of them at least two must be correct, but in this one all three are always correct.) How much that eases the difficulty I have no idea.

Another interesting feature of this one is that it follows an obvious pattern which generalizes to any number of bands. In the five banded variant each band is linked to exactly two others, and that one's probably only a little bit harder than the traditional four banded design. For seven bands each one is linked to four others, and I'm not sure if it's much harder or simply impossible to scramble.