Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Sun Apr 20, 2014 12:48 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Tony Fisher's 7x7x7 Open Bandage Puzzle
PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 11:17 am 

Please don't be fooled by the pictures, this is a very unimaginative puzzle. It's simply a bandaged 7x7x7 with the bandaged part removed. Nothing more.
The puzzle has a 4x4x7 edge block bandaged. Within that I have removed a 3x3x7 array of cubies and left a row of unusable cubies around the hole to hold it together. I have also smoothed off the exposed mechanism making it flat, neater and a true cross section.
There can be many reasons why I choose to make a certain puzzle. After my V-Dome my mind was thinking about similar mechanism exposing puzzles. There is something truly beautiful about mechanisms and it seems a shame that they are hidden away 99% of the time and for many I am sure 100% of the time. Cross sections of mechanical (or biological things) have always fascinated me. I also like the idea of something that looks like it should fall apart but doesn't. That was one of the main reasons I was so attracted to the original Rubik's Cube when it first came out. Everyone knows the mechanism so well nowadays and I doubt many even consider that aspect any more.
Oh, and I have far more V-Cubes than I want so I need to get rid of a few (no I am not giving any away).
I did consider putting stickers on the mechanism parts but later rejected it.
I know at least one Hungarian forum member wont like it but to be honest when I make a puzzle only one person really matters.

Video

Last edited by Tony Fisher on Fri Mar 09, 2012 6:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Tony Fisher's 7x7x7 Open Bandage Puzzle
PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 11:42 am 

Why not milliput the gaps in the exposed mech?

Cool idea though. Nice puzzle.

Past project: The Geode
Current Project: Replica RPK-74
Future Project: Possibly another master mental
Oskar wrote:
I am now adding dummy cubes to my models to cross the 10% density threshold and save myself money big time.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 11:49 am 

One of my favorite parts of getting new puzzles is disassembling them. I love seeing how the designer made all those pieces fit together. I think this puzzle looks great, and you should try applying this to other puzzles.

4x4:36.50/45.59
5x5: 1:21.50/1:41.50
7x7: 4:10.50

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 12:39 pm 

Interesting concept which brings new and maybe enlarged vision of cubing

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 1:59 pm 

Interesting puzzle, Tony! This seems kind of similar to my Mutant Cube idea; it's basically a 3x3x3 with a 1x3x3 block removed; except it's still fully functional.

YouTube channel

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 2:46 pm 

Honestly I think this is quite vile...actually many interesting puzzles have been made...so there are no more good ideas for new puzzles....and this last one semms honestly very boring and vile.....I appreciate tonyfisher for what he has done in past..but past is past....... :wink:

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 3:07 pm 

Adman234 wrote:
Why not milliput the gaps in the exposed mech?

Cool idea though. Nice puzzle.

You must not have read anything about the puzzle and why he made it.

I quite like this puzzle, mechanisms are what most fascinate me about puzzles, and therefore this is a really attractive puzzle to me.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 3:22 pm 

Very interesting concept. Puzzle mods these days are getting kind of stale so it's nice to see an attempt in a different direction. You should next try a similar mod but with a puzzle that would show internal movement.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 6:09 pm 

Aww... if you'd made it into a sphere you would have had a Pac-Man puzzle. ;)

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 6:12 pm 

oBNoo wrote:
Very interesting concept. Puzzle mods these days are getting kind of stale so it's nice to see an attempt in a different direction. You should next try a similar mod but with a puzzle that would show internal movement.

Replacing groups of cubies with clear plastic blocks would achieve that.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 6:19 pm 

elcubicolo wrote:
Honestly I think this is quite vile...actually many interesting puzzles have been made...so there are no more good ideas for new puzzles....and this last one semms honestly very boring and vile.....I appreciate tonyfisher for what he has done in past..but past is past....... :wink:

Welcome to the forum and thanks for another insulting reply. Still, you managed one civilised post so far. Well done.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 10:44 pm 

Cool puzzle 8-) I like taking apart cubes and seeing the mechanism, to see how it works, so I like seeing the exposed pieces. I also noticed that the edges around the hole are fixed

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 11:11 pm 

I am very much enjoying these new open-core mods of yours Tony

I'm a youtuber =D

hey look ^

Rest In Peace Frank

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 12:09 am 

Tony Fisher wrote:
elcubicolo wrote:
snip

Welcome to the forum and thanks for another insulting reply. Still, you managed one civilised post so far. Well done.

Tony, when I first read this I was a little shocked too. Everyone is entitled to their opinion, but you never have to be quite so rude about it. But the repeated use of the word "vile" gives me the impression that English is probably not elcubicolo's first language. If that is the case, then he probably doesn't realise the exact meaning of "vile", and therefore its offensive connotation.

Anyway, I quite like this :) I do wish you could've miliputted, or capped, the exposed mech though.... I think that it kinda makes it look unfinished :?

Still like it though :) And like Jared said, you should do a version that is made from a v-ball, to make a pacman cube! <3

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 2:07 am 

nice puzzle!

Last edited by superciuk on Fri Mar 09, 2012 2:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 2:08 am 

very nice puzzle!!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 2:14 am 

Yes, i am not english language , so 2vile" is not correct, i honestly don't like this puzzle, but no offense for tonyfisher, that was a great puzzlebuilder before the new era ......simply i want to say that for me it is not so interesting as the other tony's ideas....so please accept my apologizes if i offended you.... :D :D , I'm latino language, so cannot speack so well as a mother tongue..... 8-) 8-)
btw....respect for all tony has done!!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 1:30 pm 

Jared wrote:
Aww... if you'd made it into a sphere you would have had a Pac-Man puzzle. ;)

I actually thought of doing that but those sphere's are incredibly time consuming.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 2:52 pm 

very interesting ..
not thought to cover the mechanism as this example ??? it looks better ???
looks like a chair design :lol:

Attachments:
tf.png
tf.png [ 339.69 KiB | Viewed 5789 times ]

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 5:38 pm 

Juan Roure wrote:
not thought to cover the mechanism as this example ?
Tony Fisher wrote:
There is something truly beautiful about mechanisms and it seems a shame that they are hidden away 99% of the time

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 6:15 pm 

Thank you Gus.

It truly bothers me how often I see a reply to post where the author clearly did not read what the creator has to say about it, or in other posts as well. I realize constructive criticism can be good thing, but I believe Tony clearly stated his purpose behind this puzzle.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 6:25 pm 

What would be nice, is if you cover the mechanism, would be to put another puzzle on the cover :twisted: .

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 6:44 pm 

Drake wrote:
What would be nice, is if you cover the mechanism, would be to put another puzzle on the cover :twisted: .

I did consider other options for that space. If I could justify the time I would have loved to have had the remainder of the 7x7x7 sculptured so it looks like something is kind of hatching out. The 'shell' could be cracked and distorted with some kind of baby monster pulling it open with it's hands and pushing it's face out. Before I started puzzle making I was into making horrific little things like that and one day hope to combine the two.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 6:51 pm 

Tony Fisher wrote:
Drake wrote:

I did consider other options for that space. If I could justify the time I would have loved to have had the remainder of the 7x7x7 sculptured so it looks like something is kind of hatching out. The 'shell' could be cracked and distorted with some kind of baby monster pulling it open with it's hands and pushing it's face out. Before I started puzzle making I was into making horrific little things like that and one day hope to combine the two.

Yeah that would certainly be cool :shock: . But I was more thinking of using the space, to put a sliding puzzle on sommething on :lol: .

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 7:34 pm 

The job of an artist is to open the box so that other people can see inside.

Cheers,
Burgo.

PB 3x3 55sec Jan 2011 (When I was a kid 1:30 was speedcubing so I'm stoked).
1st 3x3 Earth (nemesis) solve Jan 2011 My You Tube (Now has ALLCrazy 3X3 Planets with Reduction)

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 5:48 am 

Gus wrote:
Juan Roure wrote:
not thought to cover the mechanism as this example ?
Tony Fisher wrote:
There is something truly beautiful about mechanisms and it seems a shame that they are hidden away 99% of the time

I've read .. but I like more with the mechanism hidden, is just a personal opinion

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 9:13 pm 

elcubicolo wrote:
Yes, i am not english language , so 2vile" is not correct, i honestly don't like this puzzle, but no offense for tonyfisher, that was a great puzzlebuilder before the new era ......simply i want to say that for me it is not so interesting as the other tony's ideas....so please accept my apologizes if i offended you.... :D :D , I'm latino language, so cannot speack so well as a mother tongue..... 8-) 8-)
btw....respect for all tony has done!!

Thank you.
Please understand that it is not always practical or possible to create amazing new puzzles. The world has changed and I can no longer spend months on a new puzzle that won't sell at a price that justifies the time spent creating it. My ebay auctions prove that some people do like these puzzles so what harm does it do to make them? Making any new puzzle can never be a bad thing, can it?
I would also ask you to choose your words more carefully. Olivér Nagy is not English and clearly doesn't like these types of puzzles either yet he is able to convey his feelings in a non offensive way-

Olivér Nagy wrote:
I know you will "hate" me for this, but this is the first time that I mast say I do not really like one of you puzzles. :oops:
I know you must work a lot with it, and the outcome it really nice, but still, it looks like an unfinished or half assembled puzzle and it is strange. :?

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 9:38 pm 

I think this puzzle is something different and unique. I like it :D Don't worry Tony, I completely understand that it isn't easy to make an awesome puzzle with just the snap of your fingers. Honestly, I miss your other awesome builds ( not that this one isn't), but yeah, the world has changed. Again, Nice work. :)

Best Regards,
ducttape

The line below is true
The line above is false

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 9:48 pm 

Tony Fisher wrote:
The world has changed and I can no longer spend months on a new puzzle that won't sell at a price that justifies the time spent creating it.

Excuse me if I misunderstand but do you not do this because you enjoy it?

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 10:59 pm 

oBNoo wrote:
Tony Fisher wrote:
The world has changed and I can no longer spend months on a new puzzle that won't sell at a price that justifies the time spent creating it.

Excuse me if I misunderstand but do you not do this because you enjoy it?

Of course, like a professional footballer enjoys playing football. Like 99% of people I have to work for a living and can't simply spend a month making a puzzle for fun. It started as a pure hobby but then people kept asking to buy what I made so it developed into a business. It's not my only job but it's the only job I love.
This is common knowledge to most people.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 1:04 am 

I am a bit saddened at the lack of courtesy displayed lately.

If you don't have something nice to say, do consider carefully the value in saying it. For example, a critical review of a puzzle may save someone else from having a bad experience or purchase. So a negative statement can have a constructive value.

The criticisms I have read here have no inherent positive value.

Regarding puzzle building finances: Most of us building don't look to get rich doing so (well, not those of us that have done it for any length of time). But loving building doesn't equate to being able to lose a lot of money doing so. I spend $100 a month on TechShop dues. So if I am not building a puzzle to sell once in a while it becomes very expensive, even though inherently I am building because I like to do so. One often can't afford a hobby even though you might love it. The change in the puzzle market has hit Tony and hand builders fairly hard. It isn't that their puzzles aren't still valuable, but the overall budget of collectors to spend on hand built puzzles has been largely diluted by other great options (tons of new mass produced puzzles, and a horde of delightful Shapeways puzzles). This change in finances affects what builders are able to afford, independent of any love of building.

Dave

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 11:17 am 

Some of my favorite displays at Science Museums are those big mechanical machines (like turbines) that have been cut 25% open, but the inner workings still turn. I find it fascinating to watch and study those mechanism.

As for twisty puzzles, I found it always a bit dissatisfying that nobody can see and appreciate the mechanism inside those puzzles. From the comments that I get on YouTube sometimes, I deduce that many of my watchers are clueless what is on the inside of my puzzles. Similarly, some genius puzzles have been presented at this forum like several Pentultimate versions, some of David Picher's recent designs and many more, where I wish I could peek at the inside.

Now Tony Fisher has found a way to reveal the inside of a ground-breaking twisty puzzle (the Verdes V-Cube design) while still keeping it partially functional. I think this is a brilliant idea. This puzzle should be on display in a science museum, for people to watch and play!

Oskar

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 1:23 pm 

Oskar wrote:
Some of my favorite displays at Science Museums are those big mechanical machines (like turbines) that have been cut 25% open, but the inner workings still turn. I find it fascinating to watch and study those mechanism.

As for twisty puzzles, I found it always a bit dissatisfying that nobody can see and appreciate the mechanism inside those puzzles. From the comments that I get on YouTube sometimes, I deduce that many of my watchers are clueless what is on the inside of my puzzles. Similarly, some genius puzzles have been presented at this forum like several Pentultimate versions, some of David Picher's recent designs and many more, where I wish I could peek at the inside.

Now Tony Fisher has found a way to reveal the inside of a ground-breaking twisty puzzle (the Verdes V-Cube design) while still keeping it partially functional. I think this is a brilliant idea. This puzzle should be on display in a science museum, for people to watch and play!

Oskar

Thanks Oskar. If I was able to get one I would like to place a perfectly sized clear quarter sphere into the equivalent hole of an unmodified 7x7x7. It would sit under and be held in by the lips which I removed from mine. This would allow movement of all remaining whole layers and visible activity directly by the quarter sphere.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 4:40 pm 

Tony Fisher wrote:
If I was able to get one I would like to place a perfectly sized clear quarter sphere into the equivalent hole of an unmodified 7x7x7. It would sit under and be held in by the lips which I removed from mine. This would allow movement of all remaining whole layers and visible activity directly by the quarter sphere.
If only transparent 3D-printed material were more transparent. Scott Elliot's 3D printer may come close, printing transparent sheets of plastic.

Oskar

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 9:27 pm 

I remember going to a 'farm fair' when I was a kid. there were portholes on this cow so you could see how the stomachs worked :shock:

When I get a new puzzle, I twist it this way and that to see how it moves, and THEN I take it apart. My friends across the border now know to just hand me a screwdriver with the puzzle because they know what is coming next. :lol:

I Wonder Tony, could you take out opposing corners??? Or would it all just fall apart?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 10:14 pm 

katsmom wrote:
I remember going to a 'farm fair' when I was a kid. there were portholes on this cow so you could see how the stomachs worked :shock:

When I get a new puzzle, I twist it this way and that to see how it moves, and THEN I take it apart. My friends across the border now know to just hand me a screwdriver with the puzzle because they know what is coming next. :lol:

I Wonder Tony, could you take out opposing corners??? Or would it all just fall apart?

I assume this was a false cow!
You could remove pretty much anything as long as you either glued all the cubies together around the gap (as I have done) or insert a clear 'plug' as I was saying to Oskar. Thinking some more I guess it wouldn't even need to be solid. You could have clear plastic sheet on each inner exposed face fixed together where they meet. So for a corner group removed you would have three pieces and for an edge group two.
Taking it even further, on the right puzzle you could colour some of the internals. Like my V-Dome they would only be visible some of the time.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 12:55 am 

DLitwin wrote:
Regarding puzzle building finances: Most of us building don't look to get rich doing so (well, not those of us that have done it for any length of time). But loving building doesn't equate to being able to lose a lot of money doing so. I spend $100 a month on TechShop dues. So if I am not building a puzzle to sell once in a while it becomes very expensive, even though inherently I am building because I like to do so. One often can't afford a hobby even though you might love it. The change in the puzzle market has hit Tony and hand builders fairly hard. It isn't that their puzzles aren't still valuable, but the overall budget of collectors to spend on hand built puzzles has been largely diluted by other great options (tons of new mass produced puzzles, and a horde of delightful Shapeways puzzles). This change in finances affects what builders are able to afford, independent of any love of building.

I'm very aware of all of this. The only reason I asked is because the way he stated it made it seem like it was his ONLY motivation (he only mentioned spending the free time, not money). I don't expect a passion to magically generate money.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 6:28 am 

oBNoo wrote:
DLitwin wrote:

I'm very aware of all of this. The only reason I asked is because the way he stated it made it seem like it was his ONLY motivation (he only mentioned spending the free time, not money). I don't expect a passion to magically generate money.

When a singer such as Adele is interviewed she will talk about how she came to write a certain song. She will describe the feelings and motivations behind it. When a professional painter is asked about a painting he will give a similar reply. Both are driven by a creative passion but both will ultimately be aware they have to sell what the create.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 10:27 am 

Tony Fisher wrote:
It's not my only job but it's the only job I love.

That's very sad ! Should be hard to wake up in the morning and go to work... :(
Hopefully, you are considered as a god in the cubing world.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 10:44 am 

I disagree with the sentiments of some of the other posters that the holes should be filled with epoxy. The V-Cube design is very beautiful in my opinion. It reminds me of when you slice an onion open with a knife and you see all the little concentric rings within. Filling the cracks with epoxy would just ruin the effect.

Another testament to Tony's great modding ability is no visible glue anywhere. I know whenever I mod a puzzle, I usually get superglue everywhere, not only on the puzzle but on my fingers as well. I will glue two parts together, then hold them in my fingers, then m fingers get glued and I have to peel my fingers off the plastic. The glue forms a layer of tack on my fingertips, and from then on everything I touch gets glue spots on it. My puzzle may turn okay when done, but it still looks like a mess until I apply stickers.

Tony's V-Cube puzzle is simply gorgeous. Being seven layers, I'd imagine that solving it would not be a trivial task.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 11:05 am 

alacoume wrote:
Tony Fisher wrote:
It's not my only job but it's the only job I love.
That's very sad !
I had read this and I thought I had recalled Tony's other job was in archaeology which I would think sounds rather interesting. So I wanted to check and make sure I had remembered correctly and found this thread which also goes into why he hates that job.

http://twistypuzzles.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=10043

I don't think this is the thread I remember reading. I was thinking there was one about a dig of his that actually sounded rather interesting but I can't seem to find it now.

Carl

P.S. Nice puzzle. The idea of being able to see the mech reminds me of my first puzzle design seen here. Sure this is a 5x5x5 but the thought was you could make the outer pieces clear and just have 27 1x1x1 cubies inside and have a 3x3x3 which wore its mech on the outside where people could see it. In that same thread I show how this could be generalized to higher order cubes and it could even be used to make cuboids if some of the inner 1x1x1's were also clear.