Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Wed Jul 23, 2014 5:40 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Blizzard
PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 9:11 am 

I live in Farmington, NM, so I was pretty shocked to wake up and find five inches of snow and 30 mph wind! Yes, school today was cancelled!

Has some weird weather happened to any of you?

"You say tomater, I zader matermorts." - Coach Z

Post subject: Re: Blizzard
PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 4:47 pm 

I live in England, and once in July I got up in the morning and it was hot and sunny!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 5:46 pm 

Gus wrote:
I live in England, and once in July I got up in the morning and it was hot and sunny!

It almost never snows here. I think this is the second time it's snowed this school year.

"You say tomater, I zader matermorts." - Coach Z

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 5:50 pm 

Up here in Newfoundland Canada we just had a blizzard with 40 cm of snow and 90 kph winds

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 6:00 pm 

Winnipeg got a fair amount of snow and pretty strong wind, too.
We haven't had nearly as much snow as usual this year, so it came as quite a surprise!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 6:33 pm 

<-- also from Winnipeg

Yeah it's been a strange year with so little snow here

I always find it funny when people say that school was cancelled because of snow, when I was a kid I don't think I ever had a snow day and we ussually get a ton most years.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 7:12 pm 

It was 82 degrees here in sunny south Mississippi... Pool is opening soon... :)

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 9:26 pm 

Gus wrote:

Sorry but I find that very difficult to believe.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 9:45 pm 

There were tornados today in Indiana. A town called Henryville was devastated by one. There was a tornado about 6 miles northwest of my school and we were in tornado position for about an hour.

Jack

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 11:13 pm 

I live in Missouri and it was 70 degrees and humid in the morning, and went down to 40 degrees middayand became very windy. Very odd :?

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 2:14 am 

I live in Louisiana and we had a record high yesterday: it reached 86 degrees Fahrenheit! The weatherman said this spring will be the year of bugs for us. Usually, the bugs don't start coming out until April, but even in late February I was already getting moth splats on my windshield. With the warm weather and rains we've been getting, the misquotes will be horrible this year. Last summer was the warmest, driest on record for Louisiana, and this winter has had the warmest average temperatures as well. There's also been a swarm of tornadoes as well further to the east. Weather has been getting more severe everywhere. I used to doubt, but now I'm beginning to wonder if Global warming is real, because yearly fluctuations doesn't seem enough to account for this. In the past decade, we have had more earthquakes, more hurricanes, floods, etc than in decades past, and it's gotten a lot worse in the past two years as well. Some people point to the Mayan calendar and this 2012 BS, but in truth no one knows when the real apocalypse will occur. It probably won't be for a while yet, but things are definitely accelerating. Each year we get closer to critical mass. Just look at the upheaval going on in the Middle East with Iran and stuff. No sooner the US pulls their troops out of country A, that they turn around and invade country B.

Please excuse me for getting on my high-horse. I've had a bit too much rum-and-soda tonight already. Stardust signing off...

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 2:53 am 

Here in Australia we've got floods everywhere and dams overflowing at the moment, evacuations. It feels like just yesterday all the talk was of desalination plants.
Brings to mind an iconic Australian poem:

My Country
..I love a sunburnt country,
A land of sweeping plains,
Of ragged mountain ranges,
Of droughts and flooding rains..

Penned in the early 1900s, if only the modern politicians had the sense to look at history before they dramaticise everything.

Cheers,
Burgo.

PB 3x3 55sec Jan 2011 (When I was a kid 1:30 was speedcubing so I'm stoked).
1st 3x3 Earth (nemesis) solve Jan 2011 My You Tube (Now has ALLCrazy 3X3 Planets with Reduction)

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 10:14 am 

Burgo wrote:
... if only the modern politicians had the sense to look at history before they dramaticise everything.

Too True. I always hear "More huricanes than any other year!" when there were just as many last year.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 2:21 pm 

I live in Texas and so far this past winter, we have had about 5 minutes of snow. It's been about 80 degrees here lately (about 26.6C) :lol:

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 3:19 pm 

weatherbird wrote:
Burgo wrote:
... if only the modern politicians had the sense to look at history before they dramaticise everything.

Too True. I always hear "More huricanes than any other year!" when there were just as many last year.

It's really unfortunate that because everyone sees the weather they feel like they can be an armchair scientist about the weather.

In any systems with very noisy data (high standard deviation / lots of outliers) you need to collect huge amounts of that data to smooth out the random variations from sample to sample.

In the case of weather if it takes 1 year to gather a "sample" we can't setup typical experiments and get results in the time frame of a grant (or even in the time frame of the human lifespan). Hence the term "geological time scale".

This is why to say something anything definitive about the weather today, even with 100 year trends. This is why researches take ice cores, look at layers of rock, layers of thousand-year-old-trees, etc. You have to establish trends over huge periods of time to smooth out the year-to-year data.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 12:04 am 

stardust4ever wrote:
I used to doubt, but now I'm beginning to wonder if Global warming is real, because yearly fluctuations doesn't seem enough to account for this.

Sorry, but people worrying about global warming really bothers me. I take this directy from a science book published in 2009, "Recently, special attention has been focused on carbon dioxide and its contribution to the greenhouse effect. Carbon dioxide, or CO2, is a common by product of several natural and artificial proccesses... Nature contributes about 200 billion tons of CO2 into the atmosphere anually, while mankind contributes 7 billion tons-3.5% of the total. ....A closer look at the issue reveals a surprising lack of evidence for a global crisis... there is no danger of a global warming disaster."
So CO2, which is said to make an 'ozone hole' is being made over 30 times more than nature than humans. Actually, dropping instead of raising a few degrees would be worse; crops would freeze, less farmland, bad. So, I think you should worry more about aliens attacking than global warming.
-Weatherbird

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 2:53 am 

For those not familiar with our history of "Religion" threads I would offer that in the past threads that lead into issues on which there is heated debate are not appropriate for TwistyPuzzles. There are many other venues in which they can be discussed, and bringing them here doesn't adhere to the purpose of the "Off Topic" forum ("Non-puzzle topics. Stick to friendly conversation, please.") as they have been seen to become unfriendly.

So topics that touch on religion, politics and controversies in general are best avoided here.

Dave

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 7:37 am 

There is a huge difference between "weather" and "climate". Most people forget this.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 10:16 am 

hot and sunny yesterday 20 deg c...usual is 5 with wind and rain..now in our second week of a hosepipe ban...

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 8:21 am 

In 2 days, it went from 91 degrees an sunny to 29 degrees and snowing.