Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Sun Apr 20, 2014 9:00 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours



Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: $2-$3 Problem
PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 4:45 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jun 03, 2010 2:25 pm
Location: Farmington, NM
I remembered this one a while ago, and it's still fun to give to people.

A man has $2, but he needs $3 for the bus fare home. Here's what he does:

He pawns his $2 for $1.50, and he sells that ticket for another $1.50.

He now has $3. Who is out the extra dollar, and why?

_________________
Autism Speaks can go away. I have Autism. I can speak for myself.

"You say tomater, I zader matermorts." - Coach Z


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: $2-$3 Problem
PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 5:01 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Dec 08, 2009 4:18 pm
] The $1.50 he gets from the pawn he keeps, but the ticket that is worth $2.00 (if paid back for $1.50 he received) he sells for $1.50 to get the $3.00 he needs.

_________________
Its better to be pissed off than pissed on.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: $2-$3 Problem
PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 7:15 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Apr 01, 2009 2:59 pm
Jorbs3210 wrote:
I remembered this one a while ago, and it's still fun to give to people.

A man has $2, but he needs $3 for the bus fare home. Here's what he does:

He pawns his $2 for $1.50, and he sells that ticket for another $1.50.

He now has $3. Who is out the extra dollar, and why?


I assume this is the same "puzzle" as the more famous version with three hotel patrons and a busboy, or three restaurant patrons and a waiter. Did you forget a part? The man starts with $2 needing a ticket, and then in the very next line you say he sells a ticket. What ticket? He doesn't have a ticket to sell for $1.50...


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: $2-$3 Problem
PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 7:23 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 18, 2010 10:48 am
The logic doesn't follow.

The man has $2 only. Cool.
Pawns $2 for $1.50. Idiot, but cool, anyway.
He sells that ticket for---- which ticket?

_________________
--Noah

I don't know half of you half as well as I should like and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: $2-$3 Problem
PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 7:56 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Nov 23, 2008 2:18 am
I would assume he means the ticket from the Pawn Shop.

The person out the money would be the person stuck with the pawn ticket.

_________________
Just so you know, I am blind.

I pledge allegiance to the whole of humanity, and to the world in which we live: one people under the heavens, indivisible, with Liberty and Equality for all.

My Shapeways Shop


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: $2-$3 Problem
PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 8:09 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Mar 30, 2009 5:13 pm
Jeffery Mewtamer wrote:
I would assume he means the ticket from the Pawn Shop.

The person out the money would be the person stuck with the pawn ticket.

That would be true, if (as the riddle states) somebody was stupid enough to buy the pawn ticket. A pawn ticket is just proof that a sale took place and that cash was received in return, but has no intrinsic value. It would be like trying to sell a receipt for "cash received" to someone. The only thing you can do with a pawn ticket is take it back to the pawn shop, show it and then buy back the original item ($2) at the price it was sold for ($1.50), or probably more, so paying an additional $1.50 (or more) for that pawn ticket would mean he spent (at least) $3 in total to get the original $2 from the pawn shop.

So in summary, the dumb guy who bought the pawn ticket loses the $1 that the original guy has gained, and possibly more if the guy at the pawn shop also makes a small profit when he sells back the original $2 for more than $1.50.

_________________
If you want something you’ve never had, you’ve got to do something you’ve never done - Thomas Jefferson


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: $2-$3 Problem
PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 8:58 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 27, 2010 10:17 am
Location: Missourica
No, that is not how pawning works.

The loser here is the buyer of the ticket.

When you turn in a ticket to get something back that you pawned, you must pay how much they gave you plus interest.

So the man who buys the ticket does the following:

1. Buys the ticket for $1.50
2. Pays $1.50 plus any interest (we will assume no interest here) to get the item
3. Receives the $2.00 item


Notice that during the above steps, he payed $1.50 two times, and received only $2.00 total. So he is the one who loses the dollar.

#howstupiddoyouthinkIam :lol:

_________________
Adam Brown, Puzzle Builder/Modder

Past project: The Geode
Current Project: Replica RPK-74
Future Project: Possibly another master mental
Oskar wrote:
I am now adding dummy cubes to my models to cross the 10% density threshold and save myself money big time.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: $2-$3 Problem
PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 9:29 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Mar 30, 2009 5:13 pm
Adman234 wrote:
No, that is not how pawning works.

The loser here is the buyer of the ticket.

When you turn in a ticket to get something back that you pawned, you must pay how much they gave you plus interest.

So the man who buys the ticket does the following:

1. Buys the ticket for $1.50
2. Pays $1.50 plus any interest (we will assume no interest here) to get the item
3. Receives the $2.00 item


Notice that during the above steps, he payed $1.50 two times, and received only $2.00 total. So he is the one who loses the dollar.

#howstupiddoyouthinkIam :lol:

If you read my post again, you will see that is *exactly* the answer and explanation I gave - where is the discrepancy? :(

Though I do think your explanation was much clearer - I was kind of thinking out loud! :lol:

_________________
If you want something you’ve never had, you’ve got to do something you’ve never done - Thomas Jefferson


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: $2-$3 Problem
PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 9:49 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 27, 2010 10:17 am
Location: Missourica
Honestly, I was too lazy to read that wall of text :lol: I was responding directly to earlier posters who do not know how the pawning system works. I didn't even read your answer... 8-)

_________________
Adam Brown, Puzzle Builder/Modder

Past project: The Geode
Current Project: Replica RPK-74
Future Project: Possibly another master mental
Oskar wrote:
I am now adding dummy cubes to my models to cross the 10% density threshold and save myself money big time.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 5 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  

Forum powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group