Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Thu Apr 17, 2014 2:23 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Re: Yo Dawg, I herd u like Dodecahedron... (Multidodecahedro
PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2011 5:43 pm 

Tom, how did you make those super stickers? Does your sticker cutter print the color as well?

-Eitan

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2011 6:03 pm 

Burgo wrote:
Thanks for the pictures and video Brandon,

Those super stickers look awesome! Tom is sending 2 sets of stickers out, does everyone get normal and super stickers, or did you have to request them? I think I need them :o !!

Cheers,
Burgo.
Tom wrote in his original post
Quote:
...and will come with two free sets of stickers (your choice of regular or super ...
I'm afraid if you have not requested `super` in your PM, you'll get regular.
I'm somehow relieved that I'm not the only one who is waiting for his stickers :lol:

EDIT: I got my stickers yesterday afternoon and completed the puzzle yesterday evening.
I have not timed myself, but if I would get paid by the hour this puzzle would be pretty expensive. :lol: :lol:
I guess I would judge assembly of this puzzle easier than stickering it.
Assembly is fun, stickering is OK, but the Megaminx corners are challenging.

How has everybody else managed to sticker the Megaminx corners?
I assembled the Megaminx without corners first and stickered the edges.
I stickered the corners one by one on the table using the toothpick technique.
A third hand would have been good. :lol:
If I do this ever again, I would use a vice (vise in AE). This would take longer but working would be easier.
I cannot imagine how hard the corner stickers would be on a fully assembled Megaminx core.

@bmenrigh: Brandon, does your Megaminx have Super stickers too?

@Frank: I conclude from your pictures that you stickered those corners on a fully assembled core . OMG :roll:
You said that Tom wrote about using tweezers? I read about a toothpick only.
When I suggested my method in a PM to him, he responded that he has done it in the same way as I described it above.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 5:48 pm 

Because there are so many pictures of this puzzle already I decided to make some family pictures (family = face turning dodecahedra). You can click on the small pictures to get them large (thanks for the idea, Brandon :) ):

All I have got (yeah, the old Meffert's Megaminx veteran looks a bit battered having lost some tiles :lol: ):
One of each type (the second Mini Starminx is just a stand for the Multi-D :wink: ) :

Finally some views of my Multi-D, too:

Scrambled and partially solved:
seven `Starminx tips`to go
one more 3-cycle
done

Last edited by Konrad on Thu Jan 05, 2012 1:27 pm, edited 5 times in total.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 9:15 pm 

Konrad wrote:
@bmenrigh: Brandon, does your Megaminx have Super stickers too?
Yes, the Megaminx centers have the orientation markers too. This makes the solve slightly easier because the total twist of the Megaminx centers is tied to the total twist of the Pentultimate centers. By fixing the twist in the Megaminx phase you fix the total twist of the Pentultimate phase.

I see that you have TomZ's Mini Starminx. I just got his re-designed one (medium sized, not mini) and I'm quite pleased. It's far better than the MF8 Starminx.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2011 5:10 am 

Some clarification regarding the super stickers: when I made my original post they were not ready yet (and they were stated to be in development still). When I put up the page for the Cyber Monday thing they were not ready either (and that post said nothing about super stickers) but of course implicitly retracting an offer is not a good idea.
The reason two sets are included is that they're very tricky to apply and that sometimes the cutter doesn't do its job quite right. Two sets allows you to make a few mistakes when stickering. Because of this, it is not a good idea to ask for one of each. If you want to get both the super and the regular stickers (4 sets total) I will charge $10 for that.

The printed stickers are made with a special, printable vinyl which I got from eBay (link. It is important to look for some that explicitly says it's inkjet printable, most stuff can only be printed on with a professional sublimation printer or something that you won't find in your home.
I first print on the material with a normal printer, and the special software also prints some registration marks. Then the material is fed in to the plotter (Silhouette SD, very inexpensive but well suited if you only occasionally need to make some stickers like me. The software that comes with it is moot and sometimes the cutting is off but I'm very happy as it gets the job done) which has an optical sensor which will recognize the markings and align the page for cutting. After cutting, I remove the scrap and spray on a protective coating.

A disclaimer regarding the printed stickers: I haven't quite mastered the process yet and it's very much a hobbyist thing for me. As you can see on Brandon's pictures, the dark green has a slightly spotty texture to it. I will try different printing settings but I can't guarantee they will be perfect.

Buy my mass produced puzzles at Mefferts:
- 4x4x6 Cuboid for just $38
- Curvy Copter for just $18
- 3x4x5 Cuboid for just $34

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2011 8:17 am 

So finally my turn~

Attachment:
001.JPG
001.JPG [ 80.07 KiB | Viewed 2927 times ]

Multi Dodecahedron. First shown on TP at October, Designer TomZ post a topic about this one. I love it when I first saw the photos. And determine to get one at any cost.

Attachment:
003.JPG
003.JPG [ 91.77 KiB | Viewed 2927 times ]

All pieces. one ball core. 12 outer centers, 12 centers, 60 trapezoidal inner edges, 20 inner corners, 30 "crystal edges", 30 inner edges, 20 outer corner & 12 center caps. Total 197 pieces.

Attachment:
004.JPG
004.JPG [ 44.74 KiB | Viewed 2927 times ]

photos of all pieces. I ordered BSF material. (Black, Strong & Flexible). Well....I like black.....

Attachment:
005.JPG
005.JPG [ 31.8 KiB | Viewed 2927 times ]

so I got the materials but not springs. I 've prepared 4-40 screws which is adviced by TomZ, & I disassembled a megaminx to have some springs & washers. I have to cut every springs into half long too. That takes time~

Attachment:
007.JPG
007.JPG [ 91.04 KiB | Viewed 2927 times ]

TomZ sent me 12 color stickers, two set. I'd like to use the color scheme of all my dodecahedron but one color is different. Anyway that's not a big problem.

Attachment:
008.JPG
008.JPG [ 70.5 KiB | Viewed 2927 times ]

stick every sticker of every pieces, & then assembled them one by one. A little hard to stick the sticker of inner corner. But I can get over it.

Attachment:
009.JPG
009.JPG [ 60.15 KiB | Viewed 2927 times ]

Megaminx spherical core finished. I think it's lovely~The last piece is hard to assemble. TomZ, you did design a very precise puzzle!

Attachment:
010.JPG
010.JPG [ 73.35 KiB | Viewed 2927 times ]

Begin to assemble the "crystal edges" I called it "crystal edges" because it's the same position of the pyraminx crystal.

Attachment:
013.JPG
013.JPG [ 50.27 KiB | Viewed 2927 times ]

a few hours later......Fully assembled at 03:00 a.m.!

Attachment:
016.JPG
016.JPG [ 36.14 KiB | Viewed 2927 times ]

Totally 192 pieces of outer pieces stickers. I spend around 5-6 hours. Mainly because I'm working & sticking at the same time.......

Attachment:
017.JPG
017.JPG [ 76.5 KiB | Viewed 2927 times ]

At last it's done! Multi Dodecahedron is done! I got it!

Attachment:
018.JPG
018.JPG [ 69.95 KiB | Viewed 2927 times ]

The other side. the stickers by TomZ is a little thinner than mf8's one. Easy to reflect light. So taking photos is a little hard. But overall it's still good enough.

Attachment:
019.JPG
019.JPG [ 74.8 KiB | Viewed 2927 times ]

Multi Dodecahedron consist of 5 different Face Turning Dodecahedron. Which is megaminx, pyraminx crystal, Starminx, Pentultimate & Master Pentultimate. 5 puzzles in one!

Attachment:
020.JPG
020.JPG [ 71.13 KiB | Viewed 2927 times ]

Turning quality is good. No tolerance but won't click & pop. I think it's good enough.

Attachment:
022.JPG
022.JPG [ 72.54 KiB | Viewed 2927 times ]

Scrambled. I think my solving order will be the inner megaminx, outer edges, outer centers, trapezoidal edges, at last the outer corners.

Attachment:
023.JPG
023.JPG [ 82.05 KiB | Viewed 2927 times ]

Size comparison. On the left the mf8 Starminx, right the mf8 normal megaminx. So you'll see the size of Multi Dodecahedron is not so big.

Finished. Sorry I just copy & paste my facebook's comment to TP here. Hope you like it.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2011 8:34 am 

I'm so glad you managed to finish it Otis. Now bring it to HK with you so I can muck it up! :twisted:

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 10:44 pm 

I got the multi-dodecahedron during the 2011 sale (20.11% discount) I dyed the puzzle myself. I think it came out nicely. I am still awaiting the stickers from Tom.
VIDEO

Konrad, what program did you use to make that mosaic effect?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 6:51 am 

Benf207 wrote:
...Konrad, what program did you use to make that mosaic effect?
Adobe Photoshop
The filter is called in German "Buntglas-Mosaik" (stained glass mosaic is my translation)

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 7:26 am 

Benf207 wrote:
I dyed the puzzle myself. I think it came out nicely. I am still awaiting the stickers from Tom.
Your puzzle seem to be a bit stiffer than Brandon's or Tom's. And I have to ask; which color did you dye it? In the video, I wasn't able to tell what the actual color was. I saw three colors in different light settings: purple, blue and black. So which one is it? :P

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 8:13 am 

Katja wrote:
Benf207 wrote:
...I am still awaiting the stickers from Tom.
Your puzzle seem to be a bit stiffer than Brandon's or Tom's. ....
Maybe it is better to tighten the screws a bit more? I believe that it is not stiff so much but pieces are catching. As Brandon has explained: tight screws = less catches
Benf207 wrote:
TomZ's Multi-dodecahedron available from Shapeways. This puzzle has been cleaned, dyed, cleaned, lubricated, and assembled.
Do you not fear that after lubrication the stickers will not stick so well? I have not lubricated it at all and the stickers are perfectly sticking. I used the ironing method for the outer surfaces (first described by Greg) right after assembly and heated the stickered puzzle by an infrared lamp. They look a bit grainy now as the natural surface of WSF/BSF. This means they have perfect contact with the surface of the puzzle.
I did not do this to the Megaminx stickers because they are pretty safe inside :)

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 3:29 pm 

Katja wrote:
Benf207 wrote:
I dyed the puzzle myself. I think it came out nicely. I am still awaiting the stickers from Tom.
Your puzzle seem to be a bit stiffer than Brandon's or Tom's. And I have to ask; which color did you dye it? In the video, I wasn't able to tell what the actual color was. I saw three colors in different light settings: purple, blue and black. So which one is it? :P

This is still before the puzzle has been fully broken in. I just dyed the puzzle again, because it didn't come out as black as it should have. I think the reason is partially because I used liquid RIT dye, which I have heard does not work as well. I have since re-dyed the puzzle and it does look better. I am also going to lubricate it again now. I will make another video once it's back together.

Ben

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 3:42 pm 

Konrad wrote:
I used the ironing method for the outer surfaces (first described by Greg) right after assembly and heated the stickered puzzle by an infrared lamp.
I'm still looking for the "best" way to apply stickers. Could you post a link to where Greg describes the "ironing method"? The infrared lamp also sounds like something worth looking into.

Carl

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 3:45 pm 

wwwmwww wrote:
Konrad wrote:
I used the ironing method for the outer surfaces (first described by Greg) right after assembly and heated the stickered puzzle by an infrared lamp.
I'm still looking for the "best" way to apply stickers. Could you post a link to where Greg describes the "ironing method"? The infrared lamp also sounds like something worth looking into.

Carl

On Eric's Master Pentultimate I used a crazy amount of silicone oil which affected how well the stickers stuck. After placing them all I used a hair dryer to heat each face and then I pressed down on all of the stickers with the palm of my hand. It worked great and the stickers are sticking great and look less grainy/bumpy than I think you'd get with an iron.

This wouldn't work very well for stickers you can't reach like those in the center of the MD but those stickers never touch anything so I think it's okay if they aren't sticking as well.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 3:47 pm 

wwwmwww wrote:
Konrad wrote:

Carl

I see Brandon has posted the same thing before me. I'll go ahead and post this anyways though.

I do something a bit different. I use a heat gun instead of an iron. Essentially they do the same thing. I heat up the stickers on the puzzle, about 5 seconds makes them super hot, and then press them down with your hands. This achieves the same thing as the iron, but much easier in my opinion. I know you can do the same thing with a hair dryer, albeit it may take a little longer to heat up.

Ben

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 3:55 pm 

Benf207 wrote:
I see Brandon has posted the same thing before me. I'll go ahead and post this anyways though.

I do something a bit different. I use a heat gun instead of an iron. Essentially they do the same thing. I heat up the stickers on the puzzle, about 5 seconds makes them super hot, and then press them down with your hands. This achieves the same thing as the iron, but much easier in my opinion. I know you can do the same thing with a hair dryer, albeit it may take a little longer to heat up.

Ben
Uh I dunno about your heat gun but mine puts out air at 1100 F / 600 C and melts solder and makes things glow red. Every time I've tried to use the heat gun to do something gentile to plastic I end up melting it or cause it to shrink and curl.

I'd stick to something that won't turn the M meaning Multi to M meaning Melted. I only needed to heat each face with a hair dryer for about 8-10 seconds. Seems reasonable for the added safety.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 4:02 pm 

bmenrigh wrote:
Benf207 wrote:

Ben
Uh I dunno about your heat gun but mine puts out air at 1100 F / 600 C and melts solder and makes things glow red. Every time I've tried to use the heat gun to do something gentile to plastic I end up melting it or cause it to shrink and curl.

I'd stick to something that won't turn the M meaning Multi to M meaning Melted. I only needed to heat each face with a hair dryer for about 8-10 seconds. Seems reasonable for the added safety.

My heat gun was designed for tightening airplane covering. Not sure about the exact temp, but the warning label says its 1000 watts and can exceed 400 F.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 4:04 pm 

wwwmwww wrote:
Konrad wrote:

Carl
I do not recollect where exactly Greg has described it. It is not a big mystery, though. Just heat up a surface of the puzzle by an iron for 30 sec or so (low heat). I do it on top of a sheet of paper.
If you do it on top of stickers you need to be careful. The stickers may melt. A hair dryer (or heat gun ?) is certainly safer. I tried the hair dryer of my wife but found the infrared lamp better. I heated up a face and pressed the stickers down with my palms.
As I mentioned above, I believe it will be better to postpone lubrication after stickering.
I want to say further, that some sticker material is better than others on Shapeways puzzles. Tom's sticker stick very well. :) (At least using the described method).

Last edited by Konrad on Sun Jan 15, 2012 3:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 10:00 pm 

Here it is after being re-dyed. I did not re-dye the inner megaminx, so you can see the color difference during a half turn. I also heavily lubricated it with CRC. It turns pretty smooth, but it is a bit stiff. Am I doing something wrong? Or do you think it just needs to be broken in?

VIDEO

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 4:39 am 

Benf207 wrote:
.... It turns pretty smooth, but it is a bit stiff. Am I doing something wrong? ...
I wouldn't know what you can do wrong besides the screw tension. Do you use springs and washers? My screws are currently a tiny bit too loose resulting in minor catching. I'll disassemble the puzzle again when I'm in the mood.
Could it be that your dyeing technique had some influence on the nylon? (I have never dyed something myself and ordered the Multi-D in BSF.)

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 6:37 am 

Benf207 wrote:
I also heavily lubricated it with CRC. It turns pretty smooth, but it is a bit stiff. Am I doing something wrong?
The stiffness might be due to the heavy lubrication. Same thing happened when I lubed my Compy Skewb. Turning got really stiff until the puzzle was fully broken in, then the turning was super smooth. I'd say all you need to do, apart from maybe adjusting the tensions, is break it in.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 3:49 pm 

Does anybody know how well the white strong and polished works on this puzzle? I think I read that it can mess with the tolerances and lead to a loose puzzle but I'm not sure.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 3:54 pm 

I ordered it in white and polished.

This was the best idea I had in the last month.

It works perfect, beautiful, smooth, fantastic and awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 3:56 pm 

Thanks! I plan on ordering it within the next month, I can't wait to own such a beautiful puzzle!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 3:59 pm 

Thank you, Claus!

Frank Tiex had his made in WSFP and this is what he had to say:
Quote:
As the Multi-Dodec it worked fine from the first second.
Just little screw adjustments were necessary. I gave it a small shot of silicone because I found, that the cuts which go directly through the center were slightly tighter than the others. Now all turn smooth.

You can see a few pictures he took of his Multidodecahedron and some further testimony in his post in this topic.

Buy my mass produced puzzles at Mefferts:
- 4x4x6 Cuboid for just $38
- Curvy Copter for just $18
- 3x4x5 Cuboid for just $34

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 3:35 am 

dude, that's messed up.
I mean, people are gonna need serious therapy after trying this.
Put this inside another Dodecahedron, how about that?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 1:32 am 

So, an update on my Multi-Dodecahedron: Brandon (bmenrigh) offered to tumble my multi-docahedron after seeing that the turning was pretty stiff. When he received it he determined that the puzzle was a bad print. In his video, he talks about it a little bit. Shapeways is re-printing a new MD in the meantime. The tumbled md looks great and turns much nicer than before. Here is his Video of the tumbled parts before sending it back to me. Lastly, here are some comparison pictures:

Original MD:

Tumbled MD:

I have only stickered the inner megaminx so far and will post again with some more pictures and a video of the finished puzzle.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 3:45 am 

This looks really great! Congratulations to both of you, Brandon and Ben.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 7:45 pm 

As promised, here are some more pictures and a video of the tumbled multi-dodecahedron. Here's the original Video by bmenrigh demonstrating the bad print. Shapeways is standing by their mistake and is re-printing the puzzle.

Video

Ben

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 7:09 am 

What does 'tumbled' mean? Is that like rock tumbling?

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 7:09 am 

katsmom wrote:
What does 'tumbled' mean? Is that like rock tumbling?

Exactly that.

Buy the Curvy Copter Skewb, NovaMinx, and more here!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 7:19 am 

Thanks. Does shape ways do that? Or do we have to do it?

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 7:24 am 

Shapeways have their own 'polished' version of it, however it is no way near the quality of the tumblers Brandon has, primarily due to the fact that Shapeways doesn't tumble them for that long. The material is smoother than normal WSF, but if you want a really nice looking puzzle like Ben's then Shapeways can't help you.

Buy the Curvy Copter Skewb, NovaMinx, and more here!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 7:30 am 

I think shapeways spends about 5% of the time "polishing"/tumbling the pieces as Brandon has, maybe less.
Plus Brandon uses different steps with different kinds of material in the tumbler with the pieces.
Read more about the process in Brandon's own topic about this.

My puzzles in the Museum
My Website
My Youtube Channel