Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Fri Jul 25, 2014 1:47 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: End of year Shapeways discount
PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2011 8:10 pm 

Just got this email from Shapeways

An End of Year Thank You Gift!
We would like to thank you for all your support that helped make 2011 an amazing year at Shapeways.
To thank you for your continued support, we are slashing the price of our most popular material, White Strong & Flexible by 20.11% until the end of the year.

Every model ordered in White Strong & Flexible will automatically be 20.11% cheaper for material cost (the designer's mark-up will not be discounted).
So if you order a little something for yourself it will be 20.11% cheaper, if you order a big something for yourself it will be 20.11% cheaper.
You got it, WSF, 20.11% cheaper until midnight, December 31st 2011 EST

If you've been thinking about getting a new puzzle soon, looks like now would be a good time :)

Post subject: Re: End of year Shapeways discount
PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2011 6:10 am 

I wanted to use this offer, but I found never the 20.11% discount expressed explicitly during the order process.
I was ordering TomZ's 4x5x6 and the calculation did not fit with a 20.11% discount off the originally announced price of USD 185.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2011 9:50 am 

Neither can I. I would really like to buy David's Fractured-6 puzzle with the discount, but I'm not sure where the discount is applied.

Buy the Curvy Copter Skewb, NovaMinx, and more here!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2011 10:23 am 

The discount is applied already to the listed price of WSF on shapeways. FOr example, TomZ's 3x4x5 is normally $149, but it now says it is only $135. The discount is taken off before the designer's markup is added, so it won't be a full 20.11% off of the original price, just off of the base price of the puzzle.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2011 10:43 am 

I'm sure that you will not see the full 20% discount due to my markup, and EUR/USD and VAT issues. However, I checked and the prices are lowered when ordering in WSF (BSF, WSFP do not get the discount).

I'd like to remind you that the Multidodecahedron is still available. Please send me your order number via email or PM if you order it, otherwise you will not get your puzzle correctly. Free stickers (shipping time directly from me can vary!) are included.

Buy my mass produced puzzles at Mefferts:
- 4x4x6 Cuboid for just $38
- Curvy Copter for just $18
- 3x4x5 Cuboid for just $34

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2011 11:39 am 

TomZ wrote:
...However, I checked and the prices are lowered when ordering in WSF (BSF, WSFP do not get the discount)....
Thanks Tom!
It is not very clever marketing anyway.
People would like to see the original price and the discount they get explicitly.
So, something like the 15% discount off with a coupon code makes more sense to me.
Because I want your 4x5x6 in black anyway and I have never dyed WSF before, I will wait for another opportunity.

Somehow on topic, because people may want to order your glorious Multi-D:
Regarding my Multi-D stickers: I have got them today :D :D Finally!
They are great. :D Perfect size (for my taste at least) and they stick well.
Very well cut by your laser cutter, too. I had never the nasty problem where I could not remove the stickers from the scrap (E.g. the Classical Tuttminx had this problem recently, but I had much worse.)
I got them this afternoon and have stickered the Master Pentultimate parts, so far.

EDIT:
I deleted the address comment. I did not want to sound critical and I should have better written a PM. Sorry Tom.
I have completed the stickering yesterday evening. Great puzzle and great stickers.
If Shapeways would give a discount for the polished WSF, I would consider to buy a second.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2011 10:19 am 

Brad of Shapeways just contacted me to clarify things a bit:
Quote:
Just wanted to say that we're sorry you guys are having confusion over the 20% off WSF discount. We actually don't have the capability (yet!) to discount materials the proper way in our system. By that I mean the nice shiny "20% off!" notification each time we show the price along with the amount you save. We'll have this next year, but we figured that in the meantime, it'd be better to give you guys some cheap WSF than to hold off on the 20.11% off sale until we had that feature ready.

Sorry for the confusion!! I assure you that placing an order by midnight EST tonight will still give you the 20.11% off as promised :)

It seems they can only create coupons that work towards your entire order and not a specific material, so they simply changed the pricing of WSF to reflect the 20% discount.

Buy my mass produced puzzles at Mefferts:
- 4x4x6 Cuboid for just $38
- Curvy Copter for just $18
- 3x4x5 Cuboid for just $34