Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Tue Jul 22, 2014 12:52 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Cryptograph I thought up
PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 2:39 pm 

Hey everyone, a couple of days ago I had a sudden thought about a cryptograph that can of course be easily decyphered with the key, but I believe it is a vary hard one. Here is a couple of lines of actual text, not jibberish, you can use to try and find the key. When you've figured it out, the text gives you a instructions on how to let me know!

Attachment:
code.JPG
code.JPG [ 49.95 KiB | Viewed 1338 times ]

You can speculate all you want in this topic, just please do not post your solution, do that via PM please!
Since I am so confident this is so hard, there might even be a reward in it for the first to post the keyword or PMs the entire solution :).

Post subject: Re: Cryptograph I thought up
PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2011 12:11 pm 

Is this a cryptographic translation of standard English words using twenty-six symbols as representations of letters and standard English left-to-right top-to-bottom with English-style spacing between the words?

doctor who wrote:
I don't think I can make her pose without heavy sedation. The rendering doesn't have to be perfect, it just can't look like Oskar in drag.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2011 12:38 pm 

There seems to be more than 26 different characters, so I think each character can represent more than one letter, or somehow depends on the context of each letter next to other letters...

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2011 12:50 pm 

KelvinS wrote:
There seems to be more than 26 different characters, so I think each character can represent more than one letter, or somehow depends on the context of each letter next to other letters...
Each symbol appears to be composed of sub-parts that can be rotated and translated. I worked on classifying some of them before losing interest.

The security of an encryption scheme should be tied to the key and not the obscurity of the algorithm. I'm not willing to do a cyphertext-only analysis but I'd be willing to attack it with chosen plaintexts.

If I could choose plaintexts to all be encrypted with the same key, I'd go for 'A' x 128 and 'B' x 128 on through 'Z' x 128 as well as 'ABCD....Z' and 'AABBCCDD...ZZ'. Based on those results I'd have a better idea of what to ask for next.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2011 1:01 pm 

Maybe each letter in the original text corresponds to parts of two adjacent characters which overlap with each other to create pseudo-characters.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2011 1:28 pm 

KelvinS wrote:
Maybe each letter in the original text corresponds to parts of two adjacent characters which overlap with each other to create pseudo-characters.
That would just be an change of the alphabet based on digraphs. Sjoerd stated there is a key.

Usually crypto is based on two different transform, often termed "confusion" and "diffusion". Confusion is substitution (think XOR, s-boxes, etc) and diffusion is spreading information out (think digraph substitution, bit mixing, etc). Usually a key is used to select how the confusion and diffusion progresses. If you don't have a key changing how the confusion and diffusion happen you don't have encryption, you have obfuscation.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2011 7:02 pm 

bmenrigh wrote:
KelvinS wrote:
That would just be an change of the alphabet based on digraphs. Sjoerd stated there is a key.

Usually crypto is based on two different transform, often termed "confusion" and "diffusion". Confusion is substitution (think XOR, s-boxes, etc) and diffusion is spreading information out (think digraph substitution, bit mixing, etc). Usually a key is used to select how the confusion and diffusion progresses. If you don't have a key changing how the confusion and diffusion happen you don't have encryption, you have obfuscation.

Does this mean I was wrong in calling this a cryptograph?

I think solving this mathematically or with a computer would be quite impossible, but then again I do not know much about programming or solving these things mathematically.

The key, I perhaps should've called an 'all-explaining hint', since 'key' might be a term too welldefined in math or encryption.

The solution is an english text, and I won't confirm nor deny any other of your statements quicksolver :D

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2011 7:30 pm 

It is most likely a phonetic replacement cipher. This would allow for more than twenty-six characters.

This theory is backed up by the fact that several symbols appear in the majority of words, as one would expect from vowels.

Moderator for Puzzling Stack Exchange - a new site for specific puzzling questions!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 7:39 am 

Sjoerd wrote:
[...]I think solving this mathematically or with a computer would be quite impossible[...]
I agree. By the way... solved!

Peanutbutter!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Skarabajo.

PS: That was fun, thank you! :D

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 7:50 am 

Great job Skarabajo!

As he pointed out, mathematical or traditional cryptograph solving is futile :lol: Just look closely at the symbols!