Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Sat Apr 19, 2014 8:05 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Doctor Skewb is NOW for sale
PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 6:10 pm 

All,

The original Doctor Skewb, the one shown in this thread, has now been signed and numbered and will be going up on eBay later today. This will be your only chance to get a Doctor Skewb before Christmas as I won't be adding this puzzle to my Shapeway's Shop for 2 months after this puzzle has been delivered to the winner of this Auction. More details with a link to the auction tonight.

eBay Auction Link

Picture is un edited and this is the only Doctor Skewb in existence at the moment.

Thanks,
Carl

Last edited by wwwmwww on Sat Dec 03, 2011 10:35 am, edited 3 times in total.

Post subject: Re: Doctor Skewb #1 Auction
PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 7:08 pm 

I really like the full disclosure regarding when the puzzle will be up on Shapeways.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 10:11 pm 

bmenrigh wrote:
I really like the full disclosure regarding when the puzzle will be up on Shapeways.

Thanks!!! Auction has now been posted. As this is the first custom Twisty Puzzle I've sold on eBay I'm also open to tips and suggestions others may have with regards to the description, etc.

Thanks,
Carl

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 9:16 am 

Bump. A bit over 12 hours to go.

Plus I wanted to let potential bidders know that eBay has been emailing out Cyber Monday Deals, offering double eBay bucks and free shipping for today only. I haven't looked into the specifics yet but if you are thinking about bidding you may want to keep that in mind.

Thanks Everyone,
Carl

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 11:57 pm 

Auction closed at $255.00. Congrats and THANKS to the winner. I certainly hope you enjoy the puzzle as much as I have designing it. And stay tuned... I may have more good news to post soon.

Carl

Post subject: Doctor Skewb may go on sale sooner then expected
PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 8:57 pm 

All,

Here is the good news I wanted to share.

The winner has told me "I'm okay with you opening up the puzzle for orders. I'd prefer people be able to order it now rather than waiting...". As such I plan on offer it on Shapeways very soon as a kit for $100. And if there is enough interest (and I have time) I may offer a few finished puzzles for $155 plus shipping from Shapesways to me and shipping to you.

The winner has mixed feeling about being identified but is willing to come forward if it's needed for his comments above to have credibility considering my statements before and during the acution that I'd wait 2 months. If anyone feels that's necessary please post but I'd like to give him the option to remain anonymous if that's his preference.

Please post if there are any concerns about me not waiting the two months. Also post or PM to let me know if you might be interested in a finished puzzle. If offered I'd like to at least make a few at the same time.

Thanks,
Carl

Post subject: Re: Doctor Skewb may go on sale sooner then expected
PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 9:29 pm 

I'd be interested in one of these for sure! :D

Post subject: Re: Doctor Skewb is NOW for sale
PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2011 11:19 am 

All,

I've received no concerns about listing the Doctor Skewb so its NOW for sale in my Shapeways shop.

You will need to buy BOTH of these modes as I couldn't fit all the pieces into one model due to Shapeways current polygon limit.

Doctor Skewb 1of2
Doctor Skewb 2of2

There is no other hardware needed and I'm working on making a video showing how to dye and assemble the puzzle. I hope to have it up withing the next week or so.

You can buy stickers for this puzzle here.

http://speedcubing.hu/webshop/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=6&products_id=300&language=en&zenid=9ca6a40239d88f4d094399d1f1ec7ac5

If there is interest for a few finished puzzles for $155 (plus shipping from Shapeways to me and then to you) please let me know. Post or PM and I'll start making a list. Puzzle will be dyed, assembled, stickered, and broken in. Please don't send any money now. If you'd prefer a white puzzle I'd recommend starting with White Strong & Flexible Polished which is $24.02 more expensive (so it'd be $179.02) or if you want White Strong & Flexible I'll do that too at the $155 price. Just be aware being white and unpolished it will start to show dirt faster with play.

:!: WARNING :!: Don't try to assemble this puzzle without something like CRC Silicon Spray. And DON'T try to take it apart after it's assembled. It's doable and I've done it several times but the first time I tried to make a video showing how it's done I broke the foot off of an edge piece. Even without breaking pieces it takes FAR more force to take apart then it does to put together so I'd recommend you just don't take it apart. If you do try and you do break a piece contact me and if I still have some spare pieces I can help for just the cost of shipping. If I have no spares on hand I can put individual pieces on Shapeways if needed.

Oh and if you do buy the puzzle from Shapeways. If you don't mind please PM me to let me know. Like a proud parent, I'd like to keep tabs on my creation as it ventures out into the world... to the extent that I'm able.

Thanks,
Carl

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 11:35 am 

So far I only have one confirmed interest in a finished Doctor Skewb. Any other takers? I'd like to build them all at the same time. If so PLEASE PM me.

Thanks,
Carl

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 7:37 pm 

So, Carl, is it not possible to make this puzzle with corner turning as well? If the pieces already flex around the center, you'd think having the 2 halves turn relative to each other would not be a magnificent feat...

"You are actually more off topic than me, you mentioned something on topic in the Off Topic forum."

"You more so for discussing the on-topic "off-topic" topic in the off-topic forum."

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 11:25 am 

elijah wrote:
So, Carl, is it not possible to make this puzzle with corner turning as well?
Oh I'm sure it is possible. It's just much much harder...
elijah wrote:
If the pieces already flex around the center, you'd think having the 2 halves turn relative to each other would not be a magnificent feat...
Ok... let me detail this issue. The pieces which slide about the equator are in effect all identical. Let's assume we make this puzzle as a sphere. They are rigid solid shapes which must change their orientation slightly relative to each other in order to allow rotation of the slice layer. Here is an animation.

However if one attempts a corner turn with this geometry here is what happens.

To enable this type of turing I see two options. One options is the sliding pieces could be made spongy. If they were no longer rigid solid shapes but allowed to deform, on paper you could allow this type of turn. I suspect in practice you'd have a very hard time getting something that would allow this type of deformation to work well in a puzzle like this. Certainly nothing that I can think of which can be 3D printed. The second option would be something akin to Oskar's Gear Shift puzzle. If you could pull the corners out, rotate them, and push them back in you could come up with a mech which allowed the sliding pieces to remain rigid. The mech would need some means of holding the sliding pieces tight against the core or they'd be very loose and could either fall out of the puzzle or allow easy rotation of an individual piece.

Of these two options, I think the second has the most promise but its beyond my designing skills at the moment. Oskar is welcome to take a shot at it but I think this is more of a "magnificent feat" then you give it credit. Not to single out Oskar, anyone is welcome to prove me wrong. It is one of those cases where I actually hope I am wrong.

Carl