Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Wed Apr 16, 2014 2:00 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: How to dye a white ABS puzzle black with Rit dye and acetone
PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 1:32 am 

For a while now I've suspected that it would be possible to dye a mass-produced puzzle with white or colored plastic black using black Rit dye and a solvent to soften the plastic and make it take the dye. I decided to give it a try tonight with a white Helicopter Cube and it turns out to be quite easy.

I wound up using about 350 ml of water at 60c and about 125 ml of acetone and 32 grams of black Rit dye. This is roughly a 25% solution of acetone and water. With the puzzle and acetone in the water the temperature dropped to about about 40 c. I stirred for about 12 minutes.

I made a video of the whole process.

This was my first attempt at dying ABS and it turned out well. I think the same job (or better) could be done with about 15% - 20% acetone and more time.

The results are quite good (the puzzle on the left was dyed and as you can see I didn't bother to dye the core):
Attachment:
comparison_1.png
comparison_1.png [ 527.98 KiB | Viewed 11073 times ]

And:
Attachment:
comparison_2.png
comparison_2.png [ 473.07 KiB | Viewed 11073 times ]

I don't think I left the parts in the solution for long enough because the black isn't quite as deep as a factory-dyed black puzzle but without one to compare side-by-side you can't tell. The biggest difference seems to be that the Rit dye is a red/purple black and the dye used in the ABS from the factory is a green/blue black. My camera can't pick up the difference in the hue or luminosity between the two. Also, the acetone made the pieces less shiny and more matte but if you scrub the parts with a rag and soap and water they regain some of their shine. I didn't bother to do that for the pictures above. I think that with stickers on so only the edges of parts are visible, the shade of black and the matte will be indistinguishable from a factory-dyed puzzle.

Maybe now all the gripes about puzzles not coming in black or coming in molded color plastic will stop. :roll:

Post subject: Re: How to dye a white ABS puzzle black with Rit dye and ace
PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 2:08 am 

Wow, that turned out beautifully!
That's awesome! :)

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 3:18 am 

Gosh, that looks great! At first I thought you were dying a WSF puzzle and I nearly started drooling. Lol.

Great job!

-Eitan

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 3:46 am 

Awesome! I always knew it was possible some way or another. I knew it was possible with yoyo's anyway.
But yea, today is a true turn point for me and collecting!
ALL companies feel free to make all your puzzles in colored plastic! haha I am just gonna color them myself from now on! haha

Thank you Brandon!

EDIT: also, as with dyeing WSF I am interested in how deep the dye takes. See if I use the puzzle for a year will I have to re-dye because I have broken it in, and by that scraping away the black plastic on the mech part surface?

My puzzles in the Museum
My Website
My Youtube Channel

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 4:39 am 

This has gotta be a hoax, because those results look amazing!

Now what you have to figure out is a quick process to remove all of the excess goo from removed stickers of some puzzles, like a Cube4You Gigaminx (mine is covered in it).

My Youtube and Shapeways

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 6:05 am 

Mindstormscreator wrote:

Now what you have to figure out is a quick process to remove all of the excess goo from removed stickers of some puzzles, like a Cube4You Gigaminx (mine is covered in it).

Methods for removing sticker residue has been discussed numerous times before. Its quite relevant as I think it could cover the surface so much that it would hinder the dyeing process.
What I do is to take care when removing the sticker. If you do it right almost no residue will stay. Whats left I just use my thumb to push it all around until it becomes a ball that I can pick up. It may sound like alot of time. But I dont mind spending as much time as needed.

My puzzles in the Museum
My Website
My Youtube Channel

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 11:42 am 

Sigurd wrote:
Mindstormscreator wrote:

Methods for removing sticker residue has been discussed numerous times before. Its quite relevant as I think it could cover the surface so much that it would hinder the dyeing process.

I haven't tried it but I think if you put all of the parts in a container and cover them with mineral spirits and shake, all of the stickers should come off and all of the goo dissolve. Hydrocarbons like mineral spirits are the only chemical I'm aware of that is both effective against sticker and tape adhesive and doesn't attack the plastic. Isopropanol usually isn't effective enough against the adhesive.

I don't think the sticker goo will have a significant impact on the dying because the goo is quickly soluble in acetone.

If somebody wants to send me an old C4U Gigaminx to unsticker I'll video the process and send it back squeaky clean. If it's white I'll dye it for you too.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 2:07 pm 

This is really cool! But I'm worried about whether it would harm the overall durability of the puzzle...

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 2:29 pm 

Jared wrote:
This is really cool! But I'm worried about whether it would harm the overall durability of the puzzle...
I'm not really sure what you mean about durability. The solvent and dye don't chemically alter the ABS or make it brittle or anything like that. If you use too much acetone you'll cause the parts to warp or they will smear when you touch them which will ruin the puzzle.

Unlike a marker or paint the coloring is not on the surface of the plastic but is embedded in the plastic in a shallow shell around the surface of the part. I don't know how deep the dye embeds in the plastic but it is likely less than 0.5 mm. I don't think there is any risk of the places the parts wear starting to think and show through white. That would have to be a ton of wear and mass produced puzzles just don't wear that much.

If I can think of a way to measure the depth of the dye without destroying a puzzle I'll do it.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 3:20 pm 

I was playing my casio keyboard when I saw this and when my jaw dropped I hit around 25 keys.

I'm amazed. You've just solved my problems with white puzzles forever! :lol:

PB: At home (In Competition)
2x2 1.xx (2.88)
3x3 11.xx (15.81)
4x4 1:18.26 (1:24.63)
5x5 (3:00.02)
6x6 4:26.05 (6:34.68)
7x7 6:38.74 (9:48.81)
OH (35.63)

Current Goals:
7x7 sub 6:30
4x4 sub 1:10

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 10:28 pm 

just ordered a colored plastic puzzle to try this out on ill post the results as soon as i can thanks so much for this!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 12:14 am 

Sigurd wrote:
Also, as with dyeing WSF I am interested in how deep the dye takes. See if I use the puzzle for a year will I have to re-dye because I have broken it in, and by that scraping away the black plastic on the mech part surface?

I found a part that I could cut into without affecting the piece or making the cut visible. The dye depth is immeasurably thin. It looks like it is as thin as a sheet of aluminum foil. I think this means that you have to be careful not to significantly scratch or gouge the puzzle. I don't know how much deeper the dye will penetrate if you lower the acetone concentration and increase the time the puzzle sits in solution.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 6:16 am 

It definitely looks 1000 times better than using a Sharpie marker to ABS. I've used Sharpies on Shapeways parts before with excellent results, but the stuff won't penetrate ABS. How messy was the cleaning / washing process? And can we confirm that the acetone doesn't corrode the ABS plastic at concentrations of 25% or less?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2011 2:55 pm 

I would like to warn everyone to not bother trying this with liquid rit dye. It does not work. I am not sure why, but I have now tried it both ways, and the color does not take with the liquid dye.

I have a few pictures of my finished puzzle, I am now waiting for the pieces to finish drying, I will post assembled pictures later.

Another warning. If you see two pieces stuck together when dying, separate them, they will fuse together. I had this happen to several of my pieces, one of them was fused on a flat surface, I included a picture of them after i literally had to break them apart.

Overall I am extremely pleased, this process (with powder) works wonderfully.

I left the full resolution pictures up so they are large.

Oh, and it is supposed to be red. I don't like black puzzles. :lol:

I also chose not to rinse my pieces right after finishing. I am going o let them dry, then I will rinse them, and dry them again.

Attachments:
SD533854.JPG
SD533854.JPG [ 2.11 MiB | Viewed 10735 times ]
SD533858.JPG
SD533858.JPG [ 2.21 MiB | Viewed 10735 times ]
SD533859.JPG
SD533859.JPG [ 2.3 MiB | Viewed 10735 times ]
SD533861.JPG
SD533861.JPG [ 2.13 MiB | Viewed 10735 times ]
File comment: the fused pieces
SD533864.JPG
SD533864.JPG [ 2.12 MiB | Viewed 10735 times ]
File comment: Yes, I have very wrinkly old man hands
SD533865.JPG
SD533865.JPG [ 2.21 MiB | Viewed 10735 times ]

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2011 4:44 pm 

Hey Muffet, did you use acetone in your dyeing process and if so, approximately what concentration?

I too had a few piece stuck together when I dyed the Helicopter Cube but I had no trouble separating them later. I supposed with a long time in the acetone the plastic could start to dissolve and bond together.

I'm planning on dying a "milk yellow" MF8 Master Killominx black tonight and this time I'm going to try using water at room temperature and about 15% acetone. I'd like to see if the heat of higher concentration of acetone I used the first time is really needed.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2011 4:49 pm 

I used the exact same measurements as you, but started directly with the full amount of acetone, the parts took the color just about instantly. I feel as though the heat must have aided in the process, this too was a milk yellow Master Kilominx. I left it in the dye for probably 15 minutes, but I did not time it.

I do believe that it could be done with a lower concentration of acetone.

Here are some pictures of the assembly. Taken with my cell phone, so not really great quality, the puzzle looks blood red in person. I think I am going to try polishing it some time or another.

Edit:

Anyone have any idea why this doesn't work with the liquid dye?

Attachments:
IMAG0664.jpg
IMAG0664.jpg [ 1.18 MiB | Viewed 10700 times ]
IMAG0663.jpg
IMAG0663.jpg [ 1.09 MiB | Viewed 10700 times ]
IMAG0660.jpg
IMAG0660.jpg [ 1 MiB | Viewed 10700 times ]
IMAG0659.jpg
IMAG0659.jpg [ 910.34 KiB | Viewed 10700 times ]
IMAG0658.jpg
IMAG0658.jpg [ 1.02 MiB | Viewed 10700 times ]
IMAG0657.jpg
IMAG0657.jpg [ 965.52 KiB | Viewed 10700 times ]
IMAG0656.jpg
IMAG0656.jpg [ 904.41 KiB | Viewed 10700 times ]

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2011 5:00 pm 

This is amazing. The possibilities for having black puzzles that we previously could only have in solid colors or white are endless.

Chris

John F. Kennedy said: "We choose to go to the Moon in this decade and do other things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard." One of those other things may have been building the 17x17x17.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2011 5:18 pm 

On the topic of polishing, as I mentioned the pieces look a bit more matte. I have since scrubbed some of the pieces with a toothbrush and gritty toothpaste which helped quite bit and I also tried a plastic polish (NOVUS #1) which also helped some. Despite this, the pieces just don't quite have the same specularity of factory-dyed ABS.

After reading https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diffuse_interreflection I'm thinking that the acetone must have altered the surface just enough to give it a rough pattern.

Again, I don't think this matters at all once you get stickers on the puzzle. The thin borders around each sticker that actually show through with the color of the puzzle aren't going to be enough to really see the difference in specularity.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2011 5:34 pm 

Mathew, I think you should've dyed the core, we might be able to see it in mid turn don't you think ?

Apart from that the last picture looks stunning, I love the bloody color, really powerful !!

I'm definitely dyeing mine navy blue when I get it after seeing this !

:D

Greg

EDIT: Brandon you used half a pack of rit dye to dye one helicopter cube ?!?!?! That's what I do for about 1500 puzzle pieces !

My Website on Twisty Puzzles with Gears

Grégoire Pfennig

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2011 5:56 pm 

I wanted to dye the core, but I hate tensioning puzzles, so I didn't want to have to take the core apart, and since I wasn't going to dye the centers, I figured why bother with the edges. I think it looks kinda cool in contrast to the red.

I still have some red dye left, I am thinking about dying another one of my puzzles, but I haven't decided which.

Post subject: Re: How to dye a white ABS puzzle RED? with Rit dye and acet
PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2011 2:30 pm 

I didn't overdo it did I?

Attachments:
SD533869.JPG
SD533869.JPG [ 2.09 MiB | Viewed 10587 times ]

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2011 12:13 am 

Muffet wrote:
I didn't overdo it did I?
Not at all! They look really nice.

The only complaint you will get is that you didn't use the extra dye to dye the core of the master kilominx...

Dave

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2011 2:52 am 

DLitwin wrote:
The only complaint you will get is that you didn't use the extra dye to dye the core of the master kilominx...
Yeah. How could you? :lol:
They look very good.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2011 1:28 pm 

Excellent topic and idea!
Nice results, well done!
I had the same idea few weeks ago, and I was waiting for my master kilominx before starting the dye process.
Hopefully, we have done it before, because I would not have thought of the acetone. So, It would probably not worked so good!
Next step will be trying to dye a coloured plastic puzzle : I thought about trying this with a crazy megaminx or with my dogic.
I think I will do it in a few weeks, but I will try it before on a dogic separated piece. For the crazy megaminx, I hope I could assemble it after!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2011 2:30 pm 

:roll: stupid cores :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 12:31 am 

Wow that's really awesome, haha maybe now I can have my black vcube 5x5.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 3:45 am 

alacoume wrote:
I thought about trying this ... with my dogic.
Doing this to a very rare collector's piece will be sure to make a lot of people on he forum cry. Why would you want to do this?

Dave

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 5:43 am 

That's a good question! Actually, the dogic is my only puzzle in coloured plastic...
If I wanna be a psycho rigid guy and have all my puzzle black and stickered, I would do that.
BUT, the fact is that I have only one dogic, and this puzzle costs a lot right now.
So, maybe, I really thinking of not changing it, hoping that an icosahedron puzzle will be soon mass-produce.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 11:16 am 

Actually, it has still be done by Tony Fisherhttp://www.twistypuzzles.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=20121

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2011 1:51 pm 

Hello,

I have dyed today my master kilominx, 30 min in 30% of acetone mixed with hot water.
I have completely dissasembled the puzzle (core included) and it tooks me about 2h30 to reassemble it !
Result in not so bad, but looking closely, it looks like more brown chocolate than black. Anyway, it is far better than milky yellow plastic! Here are some pictures :

Attachments:
CIMG5795.JPG
CIMG5795.JPG [ 38.18 KiB | Viewed 10100 times ]
CIMG5793.JPG
CIMG5793.JPG [ 28.31 KiB | Viewed 10100 times ]
CIMG5790.JPG
CIMG5790.JPG [ 23.34 KiB | Viewed 10100 times ]
CIMG5787.JPG
CIMG5787.JPG [ 58.01 KiB | Viewed 10100 times ]

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2011 2:05 pm 

I was not able to produce a beautiful black. Maybe, the process should be repeat twice ?
Could everyone who has dyed successully puzzle in deep black want to exchane tricks with me ?
In theses conditions, I don't think it is possible (for me) to dye coloured plastic puzzle, because I think the black dye will not be enough to cover the underlying colour?

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2011 5:13 pm 

I ended up doing this with my v5 and it worked great just the difference is the amount of rit dye and acetone I used. Also I had to let the pieces sit in the mixture for about 24 hours. Pictures will be posted later tonight.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 11:24 am 

24h hour!
I have just done a 30 min bath! I was afraid of damaging the plastic pieces because of the acetone.
Maybe, less acetone (20%) and 24h bath would dye coloured plastic.
Thank you for your answer

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 12:18 pm 

Aether13 wrote:
I ended up doing this with my v5 and it worked great just the difference is the amount of rit dye and acetone I used. Also I had to let the pieces sit in the mixture for about 24 hours. Pictures will be posted later tonight.

Did the surface texture of the plastic change much with this much time? I was expecting warping/melting/smearing with that much time.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 2:20 pm 

bmenrigh wrote:
Aether13 wrote:

Did the surface texture of the plastic change much with this much time? I was expecting warping/melting/smearing with that much time.

I was expecting that aswell, but the plastic is fine, the only difference is that the puzzle is stiff again, which it's nothing that Crc can't fix.

Edit: the pictures are being stupid and are massive when i try to upload, ill work on it and try to get them up later.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 7:20 pm 

Like by putting lower quatity, you should be able to put it longuer in the mixture, is that what you did?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 10:17 pm 

Drake wrote:
Like by putting lower quatity, you should be able to put it longuer in the mixture, is that what you did?

No, what happened was i had to use 2 containers, so I had under the amount of dye, so i had to go buy some more haha. Even though I died the core after the other pieces and that took about 24 hours aswell.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 5:07 am 

I have tried to dye my puzzle (sorry Greg, it was yours...) with cuttlefish ink (I had surplus after cooking the sauce!) : It does not work ! Now pieces are grey, not black...

RIT dye will help me finish the work...

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 12:50 pm 

I have a clear purple Starminx in route to me now, I was really hoping to get a black one but I wasn't in time.

Is there any reason why this wouldn't work with clear plastic?

Would a light color dye (like yellow) ever take on a black puzzle? Could it be bleached white first?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 1:30 pm 

boublez wrote:
I have a clear purple Starminx in route to me now, I was really hoping to get a black one but I wasn't in time.

Is there any reason why this wouldn't work with clear plastic?

Would a light color dye (like yellow) ever take on a black puzzle? Could it be bleached white first?

I see no reason why the black dye won't take on the transparent ABS. You should be able to dye it black.

I don't think you will be able to dye it a light color although you could probably dye it a medium to dark blue/purple because it is mostly that color already.

Dyes are "subtractive" color, not additive. There is no way you could turn a red puzzle blue but you probably could turn it purple. All color is already being absorbed by a black puzzle so no amount of dye is going to change it from black.

I don't think there is any way to bleach the plastic. I think very high intensity UV should cause the pigments to bleach / break down but I suspect that it would damage the plastic at the same time.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 6:59 am 

Sorry to bump this thread, but I found this
Attachment:
Dyeing Lego Parts.pdf [461.45 KiB]
Downloaded 154 times
doc on the Shapeways forums. It uses vinyl dye to change the colour of ABS plastic. Note that one of the main constituents of the dye is acetone, just as bmenrigh has discovered. It comes in spray cans, is quite expensive at £9 for 150ml, but it is available in lots of colours.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 11:47 am 

That's Gus,

To quote:
The Lego Dyeing Guide wrote:
[...]listed in vinyl dye should be acetone. Yes, we all know that acetone will melt LEGO elements when used in high concentrations, but in low concentrations it allows the dye to penetrate the LEGO element and alter the color. This is a permanent color alteration. There is no build-up on the surface; true vinyl dye cannot be scratched off. Because of the mechanism of action, vinyl dye must be applied above 70 Fahrenheit and below 85 F. If it isn’t applied under these conditions the results are poor.

70 to 85 F seems like a very narrow range. When I tried the process the temperature started out well above 85.

I have another couple puzzles to dye that I've been putting off. I'll probably try them in this temperature range to see what the results are.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 12:50 pm 

I know the master kilominx has has good results, but has anyone tried it with the colored plastic version?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 12:56 pm 

Aether13 wrote:
I know the master kilominx has has good results, but has anyone tried it with the colored plastic version?
Dyeing of colored plastic is known to work. See: http://twistypuzzles.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=276000#p276000. I suspect you will have no trouble at all.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 10:35 pm 

Tonight I tried to dye three puzzles but I ran out of acetone so I tried to substitute the remaining acetone with MEK. I know MEK is a stronger solvent so I estimated that it was 1.5 times stronger than acetone and adjusted the concentration accordingly. Unfortunately even at a lower concentration the MEK immediately started softening / melting the plastic.

I'm sure there is a concentration at which MEK will help the dye take but won't dissolve the plastic but it seems to be much lower than acetone. I wouldn't recommend using MEK as an acetone substitute unless you are willing to add a tiny bit at a time until the dye start taking in an effort to reduce the chance of destroying the puzzle.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 3:53 am 

bmenrigh wrote:
Tonight I tried to dye three puzzles but I ran out of acetone so I tried to substitute the remaining acetone with MEK. I know MEK is a stronger solvent so I estimated that it was 1.5 times stronger than acetone and adjusted the concentration accordingly. Unfortunately even at a lower concentration the MEK immediately started softening / melting the plastic.
In your original youtube video, you poured the leftover dye bath down the drain. Why not just keep it and reuse it? Oskar has successfully dyed hundreds of shapeways puzzles using the same dye bath. I think he has a separate bath for each color. It's kind of like how some fast food restaurants refill the fry vats every morning and they use the same cooking oil to fry stuff all day long (it's completely legal as long as they don't keep it for more than three days - though the taste of the food suffers badly if they don't replace it often).

Just use a strainer and funnel to pour the leftover dye bath into a glass container (old wine/liquor jugs should work great). Cap the bottle, clearly label it as poison (just in case some idiot burglar breaks into your home, or you have a rude guest snooping around the house, they won't try to drink the stuff and then sue you for their ER visit when they get sick), and store the bottle in the garage somewhere. Then you can reuse the dye bath over and over whenever you want to dye a puzzle. That way, you are protecting the environment as well as lightening the load on your wallet. :wink:

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 4:11 am 

stardust4ever wrote:
In your original youtube video, you poured the leftover dye bath down the drain. Why not just keep it and reuse it?[...]Just use a strainer and funnel to pour the leftover dye bath into a glass container (old wine/liquor jugs should work great). Cap the bottle, clearly label it as poison (just in case some idiot burglar breaks into your home, or you have a rude guest snooping around the house, they won't try to drink the stuff and then sue you for their ER visit when they get sick), and store the bottle in the garage somewhere. Then you can reuse the dye bath over and over whenever you want to dye a puzzle. That way, you are protecting the environment as well as lightening the load on your wallet. :wink:
I've thought about it but I tend not to keep glass containers. I supposed I could start. It would be nice to have an ultra-concentrated dye bath that I can just re-use whenever.

Anyone who breaks into my apartment will die within three step from the door. A few days ago I was on Amazon and the top recommended item for me was a book on neurotoxicology and Neurological disorders. It was probably related to the activated charcoal filters I buy or possibly some of the chemicals I've bought. One day I'm going to log into Amazon and see "Based on your order history we recommend: IMMEDIATE CANCER TREATMENT".

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 12:43 am 

Hello, does anyone know how to keep the dye from rubbing off on the stickers? I noticed on my V-Cube 5 that some of the white stickers are turning a bit grey, same for yellow.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 12:43 pm 

You need to thoroughly wash the plastic pieces after they've been died. Wash them thoroughly and then let them soak in pure water with a little detergent. If the water turns gray, then dump out the old water and wash them again. Detergent will only wash away any dye residue on the surface. The acetone infused the dye into the plastic and that gives the plastic it's dark color. Detergent will not penetrate the surface, so the dye will remain there forever. A good rinse in running water followed by a long soaking with mild detergent, followed another water rinse, should eliminate any dye residue that's not locked inside the plastic.

You'll also need to remove the stickers and disassemble before re-washing the pieces, then reapply new stickers once it's dry again.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 11:51 pm 

Amazing!!!This will be exciting!