Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Sun Apr 20, 2014 12:52 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: No Glasses 3D
PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2011 4:22 pm 

A few of you probably know I have an interest in 3D; that is a huge understatement because I love it! Way back before Chicken Little (the first 3D movie of the modern era) I designed a 3D screen that didn't use glasses. Instead it created a partial light field. Over the years it has been revised about 20 times into a high quality product that is cheap and simple to produce.

However, I have always had issues with a lack of content. 4 years ago when dealing with 900 vixels (3D pixels) I did each one by hand; a lot of work! When I made a higher quality version with 10,000 vixels it took 4 months of daily work to finish the scene of a simple cube. With Blender I made a system that brought this down to two hours for a 6,000 vixel test. At the beginning of summer I created my newest screen with 82,944 vixels. Using my system in Blender I created a scene in just a day. The problem is this new prototype isn't just a hand built screen made with plastic and glass; instead it is a functioning 3D computer monitor.

I need help making software to display the computer's natural 3D content in 3D on my screen. An example would be a computer game playing in 3D. Please PM me if you are interested and we can discuss details and compensation for your work.

-Mike

Post subject: Re: No Glasses 3D
PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 6:30 am 

Voxels? Sounds like it could be neat, however not much at present is rendered that way. Most 3D tech used perspective where two images are rendered. A voxel martix would require hundreds of images per frame, and up to 60 frames per second.

You have got me curious: does your display device use additive light (LEDs, etc) or subtractive light (LCDs, etc) to form an image?

I'd love to see a prototype video sometime, although I can completely understand if you choose not too reveal it, to protect your IP.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 7:53 am 

Vixels are not voxels. They are almost identical to pixels but have 3D information so I combined voxel with pixel to get the name. So for example my newest prototype is 384 vixels by 216. It also only needs to render perspective views like normal stereoscopic 3D, just use them differently.

At iz3d they have a driver that does the basics of what I need so I atleast know what I'm asking for is possible.

In a perfect world the display would use both OLEDs and LCDs but right now I'm using much cheaper LCDs for everything.

Again pm me if you have any interest or want to sign a non disclosure agreement to learn how it works and see some of my proof of concept videos.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 9:46 am 

I don't know how much help I can be, but nVidia's drivers have an anaglyph mode. I'm still a bit confused on what your system does, but I know nVidia's drivers can split the frames and calculate both images.

3x3x3 PB: 00:48.10
"Study gravitation, it's a field with a lot of potential."

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 2:21 am 

Minecraft?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 6:36 am 

Garrett wrote:
Minecraft?

That's what I was thinking :wink:

Sounds very interesting, but well beyond my ability. It gave me some ideas though; how does it attach to a computer? Have you designed the hardware needed for that too?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 5:41 pm 

You're assuming it attaches to a computer.

I don't know half of you half as well as I should like and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 7:11 pm 

He did mention computer software in the original post, and it would probably need some sort of VGA equivalent or replacement to be used as a monitor or television screen.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 7:58 pm 

I'm back from a long (and not enjoyable) "vacation" and it's great to see some new posts in this thread.

Hardware wise I'm golden. The electronics have all been bought and casing is being designed in Solidworks to be 3D printed. This is a 3D monitor that will connect to any computer using pre existing cable ports.

That is why I need software. Instead of just showing a jumbled mess from a 2d output software needs to export something customized for the screen. Just shoot me a pm and I'll let you sign an NDA to get all the details.