Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Fri Jul 25, 2014 11:27 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: New puzzle suggestion...!
PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2005 12:09 pm 

Well... just a preliminary suggestion for some new puzzle... :P

It is a hybrid of C-metrick, but using 27 3x3x3 cubes in a 3-D way, instead of nine balls in a 2-D way.
Each side should be able to rotate a single side of three small cubes in the same row or column (or if you like another version/level, a whole side of all nine(!) small cubes).

There should be a "centre hole" for stability and a circle on each side of the small cubes, to enable rotation of the axis containing each triplet of the "shuriken-alike" cogwheels.

I am not sure if such a thing could be constructed in the real world, but I see no reason why not...! (unless I am missing something obvious).

Anyway, I want to go and sleep now and dream of it, having such a challenge in my hands! :P

Peter

Educational R&D, Gravity, 4D Symmetry, Puzzle Ninja, Matrix Mech, Alien Technology.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2005 4:40 pm 

man...if that could be done, I'd have to shoot myself. It would definately be a sick puzzle, and I probably would never solve it. I'm sure if anyone could build it, some people on this forum could (tony fisher, anthony greenhill, jin kim, etc)

I would love to see a mechanism for it, and I'm sure it would be quite complex. good luck to anyone who tries to build this one!

Quinn

PS - I'll bet you spent more time making the image than thinking of the concept itself. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2005 6:13 pm 

i could make an ultimate siamese that might look like that. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2005 10:44 pm 

Quinn Lewis wrote:
man...if that could be done, I'd have to shoot myself. It would definately be a sick puzzle, and I probably would never solve it. I'm sure if anyone could build it, some people on this forum could (tony fisher, anthony greenhill, jin kim, etc)

I would love to see a mechanism for it, and I'm sure it would be quite complex. good luck to anyone who tries to build this one!

Quinn

Well, maybe it can be built, I hope it is possible...! And I agree, it is kinda sick LOL

Quinn Lewis wrote:
PS - I'll bet you spent more time making the image than thinking of the concept itself. :wink:

Well, using the right image software and finding fast a couple of images in google can make things *pretty* fast...! :wink:
Firstly I thought of eight 2x2x2 cubes, but I am not sure if even that would give enough motivation for experienced players like Stefan,
so I decided to present the 3x3x3 one! :)

Peter

PS How about eight 3x3x3 cubes??? oh no... more evil thoughts are storming inside my mind...! hehehe...

Educational R&D, Gravity, 4D Symmetry, Puzzle Ninja, Matrix Mech, Alien Technology.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2005 12:38 am 

If you want to do something along these lines, instead of 8 3x3x3s, you should have 8 1x1x1s. It's basically a 3-dimensional cmetrick. There are problems with the gears between spheres having to rotate in more that one direction. That could be fixed by allowing their axis to rotate or possibly some other technique I haven't thought of. I'm not particularly happy with the mechanisms I've come up with.

There's a much simpler cmetrick variant which only involves 4 spheres and 4 gears, but hardly anyone ever seems to understand my explanation of that one, and the way the teeth need to mesh to get it to work is subtle enough that noone who's understood it claims to know how to build it (once the subtleties are overcome it's probably just bumps though).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2005 1:40 am 

Bram wrote:
If you want to do something along these lines, instead of 8 3x3x3s, you should have 8 1x1x1s. It's basically a 3-dimensional cmetrick. There are problems with the gears between spheres having to rotate in more that one direction. That could be fixed by allowing their axis to rotate or possibly some other technique I haven't thought of. I'm not particularly happy with the mechanisms I've come up with.

By making a cut which has the form of a circle (plus a hole in the middle), we can easily allow rotation without any complications This is how I imagined the way the cogwheels should turn.
I can't see any other better way, but this way is feasible and logical enough, as long as we fit some internal mechanism to hold those cogwheels! :wink:
(maybe connected transparent cylinders could be ideal)

Bram wrote:
There's a much simpler cmetrick variant which only involves 4 spheres and 4 gears, but hardly anyone ever seems to understand my explanation of that one, and the way the teeth need to mesh to get it to work is subtle enough that noone who's understood it claims to know how to build it (once the subtleties are overcome it's probably just bumps though).

Hmmm... yeah... a "cmetrick too" that bechaves like a "cmetrick"? :lol:
The next thing to decide is whether the rotation will be the same with respect to adjacent pieces, or... alternating...! 8-)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2005 1:52 am 

Bram wrote:

Uh, a Cmetrick variant with 4 spheres? Don't I get that simply by ignoring 5/9 of a regular Cmetrick? Or do you have something different in mind?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2005 1:55 am 

kastellorizo wrote:
By making a cut which has the form of a circle (plus a hole in the middle), we can easily allow rotation without any complications

Hmm... I don't see how that solves the problem. Imagine the middle sphere of the Cmetrick and how you do a horizontal turn. Then the pins from the vertical wheels are not only not in the way, they also help holding the sphere in place during the rotation. But what if you have pins from wheels on top and bottom as well? These would block the rotation, no?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2005 3:58 am 

StefanPochmann wrote:
But what if you have pins from wheels on top and bottom as well? These would block the rotation, no?

There are pins, but this can be overome. My suggestion is to use cylinders, each of which will contain a triple of cogwheels parallel to each other and all of them between each pair of small cubes. The triple will freely rotate inside the cylinder allowing the vertical rotations (the circles drawn on each small cube are circular cuts).

Externally connecting those cyclinders will give a nice base on which the puzzle can be built on.

The puzzle will have 27 cogwheel triplets, and each linear pair of triplets will be able to rotate a linear triplet of small cubes in 6 different ways (this is controlled by the user). Therefore, we have a total of 27x6= 162 generators.

In my opinion, the only thing that needs to be taken care of, is ensuring that each rotation is complete (like clicking into position after every move).
The cmetrick itself is quite sensitive already, I can only imagine this one...! :)

Peter

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2005 11:51 am 

Stefan, kastellorizo: you both guessed wrong about my mechanism.

The four spheres are abstractly cubes, although insteaf of having faces facing towards and away from the player and the other four facing north, south, east, and west, it has faces facing towards and away from the player and the other four faces face northeast, northwest, southeast, and southwest.

Like with a cmetrick, a move moves the front face to the position of one of the side faces. The gearing interaction is that if you move the northeast sphere to the northeast then the near part of the northern gear moves west and the eastern gear moves south. If the northeastern sphere goes northwest then the directions are east and south, southwest corresponds to east and north, and southeast corresponds to west and north.

The overall effect is that all four spheres must be moved at once, but the northeastern and southwestern spheres can move in completely independent directions, which together determine how the northwestern and southeastern spheres move (due to the motions of the gears). You could fiddle with it by having one thumb each on the northeastern and southwestern spheres and moving them around simultaneously.

The problem is the way the gear teeth mesh with the sphere holes. It needs to be able to go either of two ways, and not jam in the middle.