Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Wed Apr 23, 2014 7:59 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours



Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 37 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: Can anyone make Gelatinbrain 3.3.34 into a physical puzzle?
PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 5:29 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Dec 02, 2004 12:09 pm
Location: Missouri
I saw this puzzle mentioned in the Galatin Brain's Applet Solution Discussion thread. From the picture posted there I had no idea how it would turn. I still can get the applet to run on my PC but with some digging on the site I found this picture.

Image

So first question... what is that cutting surface? Its not a plane. But someone, Oskar... maybe, need to take a shot at making this thing real.

Carl

_________________
-
Image

Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Can anyone make Gelatinbrain 3.3.34 into a physical puzz
PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 5:38 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Sep 29, 2008 9:41 am
Location: Spijkenisse, the Netherlands
It is a very interesting puzzle. The cuts are not planar, when a turn is made it pulls outwar a little, turns, and then it is pulled back in. This makes it very unlikely for this puzzle to be made, or there would have to be large gaps between pieces. The method used on Oskar's Icosaix puzzle may work as well.

The puzzle only has two types of pieces and the pieces don't stay in orbits. The centers move like the centers of TomZ's curvy copter II/ GB 3.3.8, but the movement of the other pieces is unlike any other GB puzzle.

_________________
Olivér Nagy wrote:
43,252,003,274,489,856,000. Or the full number in Hungarian is:
Negyvenháromtrillió-kétszázötvenkétbilliárd-hárombillió-kétszázhetvennégymiliárd-négyszáznyolcvankilencmillió-nyolcszázötvenhatezer :wink: )


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Can anyone make Gelatinbrain 3.3.34 into a physical puzz
PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 6:46 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Mar 08, 2009 9:21 am
Location: Massachusetts, USA
I just gave this design a try. It appears that the only way to make it work would be to use a "pull and twist" mechanism, sort of like this puzzle, as otherwise the cuts would be self-intersecting. (basically what Sjoerd said) I have no clue how such a mechanism would be made, however.

_________________
Katniss wrote:
Only on this forum would people use a V-cube 7 as a size comparison for a cat :lol:

My Shapeways shop


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Can anyone make Gelatinbrain 3.3.34 into a physical puzz
PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 7:45 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed May 13, 2009 4:58 pm
Location: Vancouver, Washington
What would it look like if you did use pure planar cuts?

_________________
Real name: Landon Kryger


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Can anyone make Gelatinbrain 3.3.34 into a physical puzz
PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 7:54 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Mar 08, 2009 9:21 am
Location: Massachusetts, USA
This puzzle can't be made with planar cuts. Using planar cuts would just make it an edge turning cube with cuts somewhere between those of a helicopter cube and a 24 cube.

_________________
Katniss wrote:
Only on this forum would people use a V-cube 7 as a size comparison for a cat :lol:

My Shapeways shop


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Can anyone make Gelatinbrain 3.3.34 into a physical puzz
PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 9:25 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jun 30, 2008 8:38 pm
Location: Russia
I tried to build it ... in my opinion this is impossible -
1. edge Cuting Surface (blue arch over the top edge) beyond the boundary of the puzzle.
can not hold on to the nucleus.
2. all the visible elements of a very fine

Image

_________________
my Shop: ShapeWays, grigorusha Big Puzzle Sale: EBay
Image Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Can anyone make Gelatinbrain 3.3.34 into a physical puzz
PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 6:57 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Mar 30, 2009 5:13 pm
Surely this could easily be made with extendable axes and stronger/longer springs to pull the layer back into/against the surface as it turns? A bit like how the cars go round on the non-planar tracks of a fairground waltzer...

_________________
If you want something you’ve never had, you’ve got to do something you’ve never done - Thomas Jefferson


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Can anyone make Gelatinbrain 3.3.34 into a physical puzz
PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 7:56 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Dec 02, 2004 12:09 pm
Location: Missouri
grigr wrote:
I tried to build it ... in my opinion this is impossible -
Hmmm... maybe I should post this here:
http://twistypuzzles.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=21904
grigr wrote:
1. edge Cuting Surface (blue arch over the top edge) beyond the boundary of the puzzle.
can not hold on to the nucleus.
Is that surface another hyperboloid? Looks like it to me?
grigr wrote:
2. all the visible elements of a very fine
Not sure what you mean by that statement. I'm guessing all the elements are very thin.

Could something like pillowing help? I realize changing the shape of the surface would also change the shape of the required cut so maybe not. I just think this is such a beautiful and original puzzle that it should be real.

Also is Gelatinbrain one person? And is this his(or her) original idea? If so GREAT job!!! Just curious who came up with this idea.

Carl

_________________
-
Image

Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Can anyone make Gelatinbrain 3.3.34 into a physical puzz
PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 8:12 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Mar 30, 2009 5:13 pm
wwwmwww wrote:
grigr wrote:
I tried to build it ... in my opinion this is impossible -
Hmmm... maybe I should post this here:
http://twistypuzzles.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=21904
No, I've just explained above your post how it could easily be done (at least in principle, assuming that dimensions and tolerences aren't an issue).

wwwmwww wrote:
Is that surface another hyperboloid? Looks like it to me?
It's more like a saddle, or the tracks of a fairground waltzer as I explained above, but it depends how you choose to shape the cut surface towards the core/centre (there are several options).

_________________
If you want something you’ve never had, you’ve got to do something you’ve never done - Thomas Jefferson


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Can anyone make Gelatinbrain 3.3.34 into a physical puzz
PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 9:07 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Dec 31, 2009 8:54 pm
Location: Bay Area, California
wwwmwww wrote:
Also is Gelatinbrain one person? And is this his(or her) original idea? If so GREAT job!!! Just curious who came up with this idea.

Gelatinbrain himself is definitely only one person. I don't think anyone helps him with his puzzle program either.

3.3.34 is a cool idea but I think he has come up with so many much more innovative ideas I'm surprised it is this one that has gotten a lot of attention.

_________________
Prior to using my real name I posted under the account named bmenrigh.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Can anyone make Gelatinbrain 3.3.34 into a physical puzz
PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 9:51 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Dec 02, 2004 12:09 pm
Location: Missouri
bmenrigh wrote:
3.3.34 is a cool idea but I think he has come up with so many much more innovative ideas I'm surprised it is this one that has gotten a lot of attention.
Oh... nothing against Gelatinbrain. I love his website and all the original and innovative ideas. The website itself has always struck me as sort of mysterious as its not clear from the site who made it or why. And the name Gelatinbrain just makes me think a group worked on it where they didn't want to name it after any one individual. Say as opposed to Oskar Puzzles. Not that that is a bad thing. Gelatinbrain certainly has the right to remain anonymous if he/she wishes.

Anyways... 3.3.34 just strikes me in its appearent simplicity. It only has 2 piece types. A normal Rubik's Cube has 3. Yet the geometry here is very complex with the non-planar cuts. The idea of what mechs could be used to actually build this thing really appeals to the engineer in me. As with most twisty puzzle I typically see them as two puzzles. The first is... how to build it or how is it built? I.e. what holds it together. I see how to solve it from the scrambled state as the second puzzle. And personally I think I actually enjoy solving the first puzzle more... at least most of the time. As a kid when the Rubik's Cube first came out yet before I got mine I remember wondering what could possibility hold it together. I was thinking strings, magnets, etc and once I finially saw the actual mech and how simple it was I was amazed. It seemed so obvious in hindsight yet it was obviously anything but obvious. Its that level of engineering the sort of blurs the line between engineering and magic. This puzzle, 3.3.34, just strikes me as an oportunity to pull off that kind of magic.

Oh... so maybe its just me. But I'd really love to see this one made "real".

Carl

_________________
-
Image

Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Can anyone make Gelatinbrain 3.3.34 into a physical puzz
PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 10:07 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Mar 30, 2009 5:13 pm
wwwmwww wrote:
As with most twisty puzzle I typically see them as two puzzles. The first is... how to build it or how is it built? I.e. what holds it together... personally I think I actually enjoy solving the first puzzle more... This puzzle, 3.3.34, just strikes me as an oportunity to pull off that kind of magic.
Is that why you chose to ignore the solution after I explained it to you (twice)? :roll:

PS. Gelatinbrain is actually an active member here at TP, so why not ask/PM him about this directly - unless of course you just like to do things the hard way. :wink:

_________________
If you want something you’ve never had, you’ve got to do something you’ve never done - Thomas Jefferson


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Can anyone make Gelatinbrain 3.3.34 into a physical puzz
PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 12:33 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Aug 02, 2004 7:03 am
Location: Koblenz, Germany
Kind of off topic:
HE2 [F2 L16/2] []
Very surprising. I did not know that such a things can exists. Looking back it makes sense because of the non-planar cuts.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Can anyone make Gelatinbrain 3.3.34 into a physical puzz
PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 12:55 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Dec 02, 2004 12:09 pm
Location: Missouri
First off I'm not sure I like your tone but I'll chalk that up to the day at work I'm having and give you the benefit of the doubt.
Kelvin Stott wrote:
Is that why you chose to ignore the solution after I explained it to you (twice)? :roll:
I'm not ignoring it... I just don't have the full picture in my head yet and I haven't had more then 5 minutes to think about it so I thought it best not to comment. So when you pull on your extendable axes/springs what keeps the pieces together you are wanting to come out and make the turn? etc. etc. etc... I'm NOT (at least not yet) calling this puzzle impossible so I'm not disagreeing with you.
Kelvin Stott wrote:
PS. Gelatinbrain is actually an active member here at TP, so why not ask/PM him about this directly - unless of course you just like to do things the hard way. :wink:
I'm fully aware Gelatinbrain is a member here. I've sent puzzle suggestions to him/her myself and even gotten replies. I've hinted about being curious as to their identity but they've stayed quite on that front. Their right to privacy overrides my curiousity so I simply see no point in asking directly... its not something I need to know. As for rather 3.3.34 is their idea or not... yes I could and should ask them. I was thinking the odds were fair that this puzzle had been discussed here before it popped up on Gelatinbrain and I simply hadn't seen the thread. If it had I though it fair to ask the question publically... as I said I know they take puzzle suggestions. Not that he/she doesn't have more then their share of original ideas too but you can't tell which is which on the website. I wish they'd add a link to each puzzle with a brief history of the idea. Who make the first physical version? Who came up with the idea? etc. But I know that can lead to controversy so I believe this is their way to avoid all that.

And as you said... they are a member here so they are certainly free to post in this thread. Not trying to do things the hard way... just voicing what was on my mind.

Carl

_________________
-
Image

Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Can anyone make Gelatinbrain 3.3.34 into a physical puzz
PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 1:09 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Mar 30, 2009 5:13 pm
Thanks Carl, and sorry about my tone, which is more to do with the day *I* have been having... :(

Anyway, the idea was that the layers can be pulled out further than normal because the spring holding in the centre piece at the end of each axis is longer and stronger. Just imagine a normal 3x3 with long and loose screws, but a long and tight spring, so that you can pull the layers out further, but the springs pull them back in. Then there's a lot more tolerance to twist around non-planar surfaces. The only potential problem with this (that I'm still not sure about) is whether you can allow the layers to move out far enough without the edge pieces falling out. I guess you'd need a fairly deep circular cut to keep it held together as the layers are pulled and twisted outwards.

Hope that makes sense, and sorry again if I came across a bit snippy. :oops:

_________________
If you want something you’ve never had, you’ve got to do something you’ve never done - Thomas Jefferson


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Can anyone make Gelatinbrain 3.3.34 into a physical puzz
PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 1:29 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Dec 31, 2009 8:54 pm
Location: Bay Area, California
wwwmwww wrote:
I wish they'd add a link to each puzzle with a brief history of the idea. Who make the first physical version? Who came up with the idea? etc. But I know that can lead to controversy so I believe this is their way to avoid all that.
Gelatinbrain used to have the name of the puzzle on the front page under the number designation. Names such as "Super X", "Helicopter Cube", "Icosimate", etc. IIRC he removed them in part because of controversy over naming and general difficulty in keeping up with what is an original idea versus what has been made/talked about before.

All of the time spent doing maintenance of the site, creating screen-shots of puzzles for the front page, etc are time not spent programming new puzzles. He could really use some volunteers but I think even setting things up for volunteer work would be more work than benefit for him.

_________________
Prior to using my real name I posted under the account named bmenrigh.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Can anyone make Gelatinbrain 3.3.34 into a physical puzz
PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 2:04 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Dec 02, 2004 12:09 pm
Location: Missouri
bmenrigh wrote:
Gelatinbrain used to have the name of the puzzle on the front page under the number designation. Names such as "Super X", "Helicopter Cube", "Icosimate", etc. IIRC he removed them in part because of controversy over naming and general difficulty in keeping up with what is an original idea versus what has been made/talked about before.
I believe I recall seeing some of that discussion here on TwistyPuzzles. Not sure I can find the thread now but your summary matches my recollection.
bmenrigh wrote:
All of the time spent doing maintenance of the site, creating screen-shots of puzzles for the front page, etc are time not spent programming new puzzles. He could really use some volunteers but I think even setting things up for volunteer work would be more work than benefit for him.
I can't say I dasagree. I love the site. Wish it would stay working for me but I think I know how to fix that... just need time. Those are just things I'd like to have and just because I want them doesn't mean Gelatinbrain should have them. As is there isn't anything to argue with and the site is nice and clean? As soon as he says "this idea was XYZ's" then ABC could pop up and say "No, I had that idea before XYZ." The way he's done it avoids that whole can of worms. Doesn't mean I'm still not curious who's idea it was...

Carl

_________________
-
Image

Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Can anyone make Gelatinbrain 3.3.34 into a physical puzz
PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 2:29 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Dec 02, 2004 12:09 pm
Location: Missouri
Kelvin Stott wrote:
Thanks Carl, and sorry about my tone,
No biggie... thanks.
Kelvin Stott wrote:
The only potential problem with this (that I'm still not sure about) is whether you can allow the layers to move out far enough without the edge pieces falling out. I guess you'd need a fairly deep circular cut to keep it held together as the layers are pulled and twisted outwards.
Makes sense... but I think that is very likely a bigger problem in practice then you think. When you pull out the layer to turn not only does that layer need to be held together but the neighboring pieces on the main puzzle are now loose as well. And I've seen plenty of puzzles that popped easily even when the layers weren't intended to be puzzled outward like that. Getting everything to stay together I think is likely to be very problematic with that solution.

Asked another way... lets assume the puzzle is a cube 60mm to an edge. How far out must the layer be pulled to allow a rotation of 180 degrees? I think that can be calculated based on some simple assumptions about the cutting surface. Look at this pic:
Attachment:
calc.png
calc.png [ 3.03 KiB | Viewed 4598 times ]

The line A-A is from the midpoint of two edges. The line B-B is the main diagonal of the cube. What is the minimum distance between these two lines. I think that is the distance we are after.

Carl

_________________
-
Image

Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Can anyone make Gelatinbrain 3.3.34 into a physical puzz
PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 3:12 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Mar 08, 2009 9:21 am
Location: Massachusetts, USA
According to Solidworks, it would be 21.21mm when it has a 60mm edge length.

_________________
Katniss wrote:
Only on this forum would people use a V-cube 7 as a size comparison for a cat :lol:

My Shapeways shop


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Can anyone make Gelatinbrain 3.3.34 into a physical puzz
PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 3:19 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Mar 30, 2009 5:13 pm
will_57 wrote:
According to Solidworks, it would be 21.21mm when it has a 60mm edge length.

Wow, that's a lot more than I thought. Maybe it isn't so straightforward after all. :?

_________________
If you want something you’ve never had, you’ve got to do something you’ve never done - Thomas Jefferson


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Can anyone make Gelatinbrain 3.3.34 into a physical puzz
PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 4:19 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Dec 31, 2009 8:54 pm
Location: Bay Area, California
I have made a VIDEO demonstrating the cuts on this puzzle and the amount of lift required. Some views make it easier to see how significant the lift is on each twist to prevent pieces from colliding.

_________________
Prior to using my real name I posted under the account named bmenrigh.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Can anyone make Gelatinbrain 3.3.34 into a physical puzz
PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 4:36 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu May 31, 2007 7:13 pm
Location: Bruxelles, Belgium
Maybe this puzzle is realizable by twisted cube like below with regular planar cuts.
But I'm not sure...
Attachment:
oblique.gif
oblique.gif [ 5.7 KiB | Viewed 4549 times ]


wwwmwww wrote:
Also is Gelatinbrain one person? And is this his(or her) original idea? If so GREAT job!!! Just curious who came up with this idea.

I'm flattered. :lol:
Yes I'm the one and only person responsible of my works.
Most of the ideas, I've got by myself but there's nothing original or creative in the idea of these puzzles in itself.
They are all just logical extentions of Rubik's. I could realize them because I'm a programmer and I don't have to care about the mechanism.
In the programming, the only important thing is to have a clear idea. The rest is just a manual labor.
So I don't care who "owns" the idea of what or what puzzle, either. I will be obliged if I was sued. But fortunately it's not yet happened. :wink:

_________________
Virtual Magic Polyhedra
Applet(Online)
Executable Jar Installer
Win32 Executable(Download)
troubleshooting


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Can anyone make Gelatinbrain 3.3.34 into a physical puzz
PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 8:00 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jun 13, 2010 1:00 am
Location: Colorado
The spring idea would not work.

On a cube it does but to make things fun let's use a dodecahedron. A megaminx could work fine pulling up a side to rotate (if the other problems were solved). On a starminx however this wouldn't work. Instead of one axis being affected by pulling up, 5 need to move. This puzzle is the same with 3 axes within the turning half. How would this work?

_________________
My Shapeways Shop
My YouTube Videos
My Museum Puzzles


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Can anyone make Gelatinbrain 3.3.34 into a physical puzz
PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 9:15 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jun 30, 2008 8:38 pm
Location: Russia
I did some research! my opinion it is impossible to build!
is clearly visible: while turning the upper part of the puzzle intersects with the bottom

Start state
Image

15 and 30 degres turn
Image Image

45 and 60 degres turn
Image Image

75 and 90 degres turn
Image Image

_________________
my Shop: ShapeWays, grigorusha Big Puzzle Sale: EBay
Image Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Can anyone make Gelatinbrain 3.3.34 into a physical puzz
PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 11:45 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Apr 10, 2010 8:07 pm
No offense but I think your cuts might be off. The only reason I'm saying this is that the intersection of the two pieces in your design, doesn't occur in the Gelatinbrain simulation. Also, I think it would be fix the mech being exposed if you decreased the radius of the internal circle. Just my thoughts, take them for what they're worth.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Can anyone make Gelatinbrain 3.3.34 into a physical puzz
PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 12:09 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Mar 08, 2009 9:21 am
Location: Massachusetts, USA
There is no way to shape the cuts such that the parts do not intersect using any traditional methods.

_________________
Katniss wrote:
Only on this forum would people use a V-cube 7 as a size comparison for a cat :lol:

My Shapeways shop


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Can anyone make Gelatinbrain 3.3.34 into a physical puzz
PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 12:44 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jan 06, 2005 8:53 pm
Location: Los Angeles
grigr wrote:
I did some research! my opinion it is impossible to build!


*sigh*
I unfortunately have to agree.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Can anyone make Gelatinbrain 3.3.34 into a physical puzz
PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 10:29 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Dec 02, 2004 12:09 pm
Location: Missouri
gelatinbrain wrote:
Maybe this puzzle is realizable by twisted cube like below with regular planar cuts.
But I'm not sure...:
I'm not seeing it. I don't think this puzzle can be made with planar cuts regardless of its exterior shape. I'd love to be proven wrong though...
gelatinbrain wrote:
I'm flattered. :lol:
You should be. You have a great website. Ok... I'll give this a try... care to introduce yourself? What prompted you to make Gelatinbrain, got you interested in twisty puzzle, etc.? Just curious... You are welcome to ignore these questions if you like.
gelatinbrain wrote:
Yes I'm the one and only person responsible of my works.
Most of the ideas, I've got by myself but there's nothing original or creative in the idea of these puzzles in itself.
They are all just logical extentions of Rubik's.
Personally I think you are selling yourself short. Most intellectual property can be viewed as a logical extension or combination of ideas that came before. Its coming up with the extension or combination that while may seem obvious after the fact in most cases isn't or someone would have come up with it long before now.

Carl

_________________
-
Image

Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Can anyone make Gelatinbrain 3.3.34 into a physical puzz
PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 10:43 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Dec 02, 2004 12:09 pm
Location: Missouri
Andreas Nortmann wrote:
Kind of off topic:
HE2 [F2 L16/2] []
Very surprising. I did not know that such a things can exists. Looking back it makes sense because of the non-planar cuts.

Does that notation actually contain enough info to recreate this puzzle? If someone had given that to you before you saw this puzzle I'm guessing the responce would have been that's not possible. I'm not sure... I need a bit of a refersher on your notation. HE2 is edge turning hexahedron with 2 cuts per axis I believe. There are 2 faces (F) per turnable layer and 8 (16/2) edge pieces (L?). What is the difference between the first [] and second [] again and why is 8 written as 16/2?

Carl

_________________
-
Image

Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Can anyone make Gelatinbrain 3.3.34 into a physical puzz
PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 10:59 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Dec 02, 2004 12:09 pm
Location: Missouri
TBTTyler wrote:
grigr wrote:
I did some research! my opinion it is impossible to build!


*sigh*
I unfortunately have to agree.
Maybe with traditional methods but what about non-traditional methods?

A few thoughts that come to mind:
(1) What about voids on the surface like the Flowminx which allow pieces to pass through each other?
(2) Maybe the surface of the pieces could be made out of foam/rubber such that the pieces could deform to allow rotation.
(3) Maybe the layer deforms but the individual pieces which make it up are ridged. Something akin to the 7x7x7 seen here.
(4) Maybe some mech similar to Gear Shift which allowed the puzzle to be pulled apart and held the pieces together.
(5) Maybe everything is entirely held together via magnets and there is a gripper with stronger magnets which allows the removal of a layer for turning. Maybe the gripper could use electro-magnets so it could be turned off when the layer is put back in place.
(6) Any other outside the box ideas? This is just a few off the top of my head.

Carl

_________________
-
Image

Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Can anyone make Gelatinbrain 3.3.34 into a physical puzz
PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 11:32 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Aug 02, 2004 7:03 am
Location: Koblenz, Germany
wwwmwww wrote:
Andreas Nortmann wrote:
Kind of off topic:
HE2 [F2 L16/2] []
Very surprising. I did not know that such a things can exists. Looking back it makes sense because of the non-planar cuts.
Does that notation actually contain enough info to recreate this puzzle? If someone had given that to you before you saw this puzzle I'm guessing the responce would have been that's not possible. I'm not sure... I need a bit of a refersher on your notation. HE2 is edge turning hexahedron with 2 cuts per axis I believe. There are 2 faces (F) per turnable layer and 8 (16/2) edge pieces (L?). What is the difference between the first [] and second [] again and why is 8 written as 16/2?
The notation was never meant to recreate the puzzle itself but the mathematical group it represents.

L16 are the obLique pieces of HE2. Refer to your animation. In that animation there are 48 of them and 16 of these are moved in one twist. Fascinatingly 3.3.34 contains only 24 (the halve, therefore the /2-notation) of them. This is the first puzzle I encounter which is not in HC2 which is non-tetrahedral where I need to apply this halving-suffix. To be fair this puzzle uses a different kind of halving than the HC-puzzle where I used this so far. Yes. This is not perfect but I think it could be made perfect.

I was surprised that the non-faces are identical to L16 but they are. Proove it for yourself: Pick out one of these non-faces. Determine which edges have to be blocked to make this piece stay fixed in space. Now switch to your animation and do the same thing for a L16-piece. You will see the graphs of blocked edges are identical.

The second pair of brackets tells you that non of the pieces need to be orientated.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Can anyone make Gelatinbrain 3.3.34 into a physical puzz
PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 8:48 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jun 30, 2008 8:38 pm
Location: Russia
wwwmwww wrote:
TBTTyler wrote:
grigr wrote:
I did some research! my opinion it is impossible to build!


*sigh*
I unfortunately have to agree.
Maybe with traditional methods but what about non-traditional methods?

A few thoughts that come to mind:
(1) What about voids on the surface like the Flowminx which allow pieces to pass through each other?
(2) Maybe the surface of the pieces could be made out of foam/rubber such that the pieces could deform to allow rotation.
(3) Maybe the layer deforms but the individual pieces which make it up are ridged. Something akin to the 7x7x7 seen here.
(4) Maybe some mech similar to Gear Shift which allowed the puzzle to be pulled apart and held the pieces together.
(5) Maybe everything is entirely held together via magnets and there is a gripper with stronger magnets which allows the removal of a layer for turning. Maybe the gripper could use electro-magnets so it could be turned off when the layer is put back in place.
(6) Any other outside the box ideas? This is just a few off the top of my head.

Carl


Good Luck! :solved:

I've already said here is very slim parts ...
they deform, even from very small rounding - 0.3mm

Image

_________________
my Shop: ShapeWays, grigorusha Big Puzzle Sale: EBay
Image Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Can anyone make Gelatinbrain 3.3.34 into a physical puzz
PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 9:10 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jun 13, 2010 1:00 am
Location: Colorado
Ok, I think I've got it!

This puzzle can be made from a master little chop.
Attachment:
Puzzle.JPG
Puzzle.JPG [ 25.52 KiB | Viewed 4291 times ]

The colored pieces are the same as the ones visible in this puzzle.

My idea to make it would be a round master little chop as the core with these pieces extended to the surface with flexible rubber stalks holding on solid plastic sheeting to form the pieces. What do you think?

_________________
My Shapeways Shop
My YouTube Videos
My Museum Puzzles


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Can anyone make Gelatinbrain 3.3.34 into a physical puzz
PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 10:26 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Dec 02, 2004 12:09 pm
Location: Missouri
PuzzleMaster6262 wrote:
Ok, I think I've got it!
This puzzle can be made from a master little chop.
The colored pieces are the same as the ones visible in this puzzle.
NICE!!! I think that's the same thing Andreas is saying with HE2 [F2 L16/2] [] but haven't had the time yet to think about this hard enough to get the picture clear in my head. The way work is going I won't have that time till this weekend at the earliest.
PuzzleMaster6262 wrote:
My idea to make it would be a round master little chop as the core with these pieces extended to the surface with flexible rubber stalks holding on solid plastic sheeting to form the pieces. What do you think?
I like it. Biggest issue I think though would be making the turns. When you grab the plastic sheet to make a turn what makes the round master little chop turn instead of just the rubber stalks bending?

Could the stalks also be ridged and the plastic sheet have cutouts like the flowerminx which allow the pieces to pass through each other? What would be the minimum amout of surface area removed to keep pieces from intersecting?

Carl

_________________
-
Image

Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Can anyone make Gelatinbrain 3.3.34 into a physical puzz
PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 5:40 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu May 31, 2007 7:13 pm
Location: Bruxelles, Belgium
wwwmwww wrote:
gelatinbrain wrote:
Maybe this puzzle is realizable by twisted cube like below with regular planar cuts.
But I'm not sure...:
I'm not seeing it. I don't think this puzzle can be made with planar cuts regardless of its exterior shape. I'd love to be proven wrong though...


No, this definitely doesn't work. Call me idiot. :oops:
I thought maybe it's possible to contain these pieces in a twisted shape with curved cuts.

Attachment:
temp0.gif
temp0.gif [ 11.74 KiB | Viewed 4180 times ]

Apparently no. Forget it.


Another idea of oblique edge turner:
Attachment:
temp1.gif
temp1.gif [ 5.05 KiB | Viewed 4180 times ]

Unlike 3.3.34, with this, you can choose an angle between 0~45.
When the oblique angle is tangent(squareroot(2)-1),
all cuts cross by 90 degree or align parellel(like this picture).
When it's 0, it's a regular helicopter cube.
More the oblique angle is big, more the pulling amount to avoid the collision.

wwwmwww wrote:
... care to introduce yourself?

Maybe in another occasion. 8-)

_________________
Virtual Magic Polyhedra
Applet(Online)
Executable Jar Installer
Win32 Executable(Download)
troubleshooting


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Can anyone make Gelatinbrain 3.3.34 into a physical puzz
PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 6:38 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Mar 30, 2009 5:13 pm
gelatinbrain wrote:
Another idea of oblique edge turner:
Attachment:
The attachment temp1.gif is no longer available

Here's an extreme version, where only the hashed surface is flipped 180 degrees:

Attachment:
Extreme oblique flip.png
Extreme oblique flip.png [ 13.63 KiB | Viewed 4161 times ]

_________________
If you want something you’ve never had, you’ve got to do something you’ve never done - Thomas Jefferson


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Can anyone make Gelatinbrain 3.3.34 into a physical puzz
PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 7:25 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jul 23, 2009 5:06 pm
Location: Berkeley, CA, USA
Kelvin's extreme version is equivalent to the helicopter cube without corners. In his version, if all edges can flip, each face is divided into four pieces. Each such piece can be moved by two adjacent edges. So they behave like the triangles of the helicopter.

Gelatinbrain's "another idea", two posts above, has the corners and triangles of helicopter, and a special type of edges. I don't remember seeing this type of pieces before in GB 3.3.*. Maybe it's a new completely type of pieces.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 37 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 5 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: MindBoggling and 7 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  

Forum powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group