Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Tue Jul 22, 2014 5:47 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 369 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
 Post subject: Re: Who's Who...
PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 9:15 am 

Hi everyone! I'm quite new here, so here's my presentation:

1. I'm 15 years old, living in Stockholm, Sweden.

2. My main interest in puzzling is only solving them right now, but I guess I will collect some more puzzles in the future.

3. I started only two months ago, when my cousin teached me how to solve the 3x3. Since then I've been puzzling every day. I've also bought some bigger challenges...

4. I do not build puzzles, I rather want somebody else to do it and then i can solve it :). Or actually i built a one by one once, but I didn't sticker it... And it was a big dice...

5. I only have 5-6 items in my collections right now, but there will be more!

6. I do not have any boundaries, except i do not buy miscellanious stuff and sticker mods that are not enough unique. I also avoid too high prices.

7. My 3x3, because it's my first cube. I love my v-cube 7 too, because it's a great puzzle.

8. Probably the V-cube 7, around 40 dollars maybe... (just guessing :lol:).

9. a) V-cube 7 b) Square one c) Helicopter cube d) Floppy cube 8-)

10. Love skiing and other puzzles, like crosswords.

11. I have a local store that are selling V-cube 7:s!

This is my WCA-profile.

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 6:09 am 

1) Age, location, profession, eBay ID?
I can't tell, no eBay ID

2) Is your main twisty puzzles interest solving, collecting, building, or something else?
Solving

3) How long have you been doing the above? If (like most of us) you lost touch with the field for a while, tell us the story! How did you get dragged back in?
Started a few years ago, when my dad bought me a Rubik's 3x3 and had trouble orienting the corners on the beginners method.

4) If you build puzzles, what have you built, and what are your current projects?
No experience in building.

5) How many puzzles are in your collection? Would you dare estimate how much it's worth?
20, including knock offs, 100~200 US

6) How would you define the "boundaries" of your collection? In other words, which types of puzzles do you collect, and which puzzles do you avoid?
i like speedcubes, hate non-cubic puzzles, and do not solve fast.

7) Which one of your puzzles is the sentimental favourite and why?
My GuHong, because its my speedcube and i use it the most.

8) Which one would currently have the most monetary value on eBay?
Dont have eBay account.

9) What is your favourite puzzle overall for: a) solving, b) appearance, c) feel, d) complexity, e) other reasons.
a)Guhong b)Megaminx c)Void cube d) V-cube 7 e) V-cube 6 (I like clicky cubes)

10) Enough about puzzles. Do you have any other hobbies?
paper craft

11) Is there anything else interesting about yourself that you'd like to share?
No.

Last edited by CadenceCPK on Sat Jun 18, 2011 5:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 11:22 pm 

I'm 21 years old, I'm currently schooling in the United States at Johnstown PA, Profession: Student, Occasional Freelance Programmer & Graphics Designer, eBay ID: N/A

2) Is your main twisty puzzles interest collecting, building, or something else?
I enjoy solving different puzzles, might start building & designing some but that is in the future and only after I catch the illusive critter known as Free-Time.

3) How long have you been doing the above? If (like most of us) you lost touch with the field for a while, tell us the story! How did you get dragged back in?
Wow, Dad started having puzzles around since I was born and I wouldn't be surprised if I was told that I started playing with the original Pyraminx before I was 1. Lost touch with puzzles for a while due to study but my father's occupation makes it difficult to stay away for too long.

4) If you build puzzles, what have you built, and what are your current projects?
Haven't built any puzzles but a few ideas are floating around.

5) How many puzzles are in your collection? Would you dare estimate how much it's worth?
mmm... I never really felt the need to collect puzzles since seeing warehouses full of the stuff from an early age does kind of destroy the desire.

6) How would you define the "boundaries" of your collection? In other words, which types of puzzles do you collect, and which puzzles do you avoid?
As stated above, never really felt the need to collect.

The original Orbix, playing with a giant sized working model as tall as I was when I was young does brink back memories and being the very first electronic puzzle that I have heard of does move it up a few notched I am an electrical engineer after all.

As stated before, don't really have a collection per say.

9) What is your favourite puzzle overall for: a) solving, b) appearance, c) feel, d) complexity, e) other reasons.
a) Pyraminx Crystal b) Tony Fisher's Gold Cube c) Orbix d) 5x5 Bandage Cube e) Gear Shift for simply the mental challenge it offered to complete the last gear rotation.

Ham Radio, Mathematics(Yes I am Different), Reading, Creative Writing and the odd technical journal

Not that I can think of, I'm really boring actually.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 8:51 pm 

I am 16 years old, and-well I pretty much mow lawns. I have no ebay ID

2) Is your main twisty puzzles interest solving, collecting, building, or something else?
I would say collecting and modifying (My skills are not good enough to say building :P)

I did in fact lose touch with the puzzling community. I mainly got busy with school, but also mild Carpal Tunnel Syndrome (no surprise there :P) and also a lack of any progress in speed discouraged me for a few months. I am back now though!

I have built only a few simple puzzles: Siamese cubes, spheres, barrels and sticker modifications. Lately I have only ideas for sticker modifications.

I have only about four dozen puzzles. I would put its cost some where around 200-300 dollars? Most likely less though :P
I collect any puzzle that interests me, granted of course I can afford it and it is not a knock-off puzzle.
Possibly a now broken 3x3 of mine which I named Bob II. I even gave him a personality and we were the best of friends. My mom killed him when she threw him through the air though. I nearly cried.

That I am not sure, possibly my Nightmare 2x2?

I absolutely love the feel megaminx. (At least the mf8 II megaminx) That one flows for everyone of these categories.

My main interest besides puzzles would have to be Playmobil. I love both collecting, displaying, and making stop motion with the toys.

I would like to be known as the guy who creates those really weird and disturbing customs :P

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 11:06 pm 

Cool topic!

1)Older than most people here, live in San Antonio (Texas), I'm a teacher

2) I like collecting and building

3) I think I bought my first cube in 1980 ($10.00, which was a lot of money back then when I think about it)..My friend showed me how to solve it but it took about 4 or 5 minutes. When I found a cube and a missing link at a flea market I started to go at it again and found out there was a big interest in it again (even more now). I realized a lot of people colected them so I started to do the same

4) I have built and modified several puzzles some are (half-truncated 3x3, cuboctohedron, confused pillow, evil twin, cubie chaos, hexagonal dipyramid, and several others), I am currently working on some 4X4 bandaged variations.

5) I have about 500 puzzles in my collection, but only about 110 different puzzles.

6) My boundaries would be $20 for a cube although I never paid more than $15 for one. I figure I can make one myself at some point without spending all that money.

7) Most sentimental would probably an old Rubik's I found..one like I used to have where blue is opposite of white.

8) I don't know which one would be worth the most...probably my pin cube as it is somewhat unique.

9) My favorite would be athe half-trunacated cube that I built/modified.

10) My other hobby would probably be selling junk on ebay.

11) I live in San Antonio and would like to know if there are puzzle builders in the area.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 3:00 pm 

Location: The land of dreams, coincedentally located in Alberta
1) GoombaGeek, Canada, Student, N/A
2) Solving, followed by collecting. I don't have too much money so Shapeways-ing is out of the question :(
3) 4 months. When I was a kid, I would try, but I couldn't solve the normal-size cube... one day I was sick and re-tried it. I failed... but I asked my mom to get me a Pocket Cube. I accidentally put it together scrambled after it fell apart and made it unsolvable, so I solved the normal Cube before the Mini Cube :P
4) I got a knockoff cube from my teacher's desk at the end of the year (she had confiscated it years earlier), so I tried to make a Siamese cube with it and my other junk cube. They're still sitting in my basement... I used a hacksaw to get one of the edges apart which I'm pretty sure is incorrect.
5) About 15 if you count non-twisty puzzles (perplexus, 15 puzzle, backspin)
6) If it costs over $100 it's out of the question, if it costs over $35 I'm only going to ask for it as a gift.
7) Well, my first cube is in pieces in a Ziploc bag and missing at least 5 parts, so that's not it, but my Pocket Cube is really what got me into cubing, so it counts.
8) My Skewb Ultimate... I'm a cheap person so nothing in my collection is too valuable. But my Skewb Ultimate is a REAL brand! (I actually only own one KO, but... I always consider buying them instead because I don't have much money. Sorry Uwe :( )

9a) The Skewb! It's so fun and also it's simple. b) The Perplexus Rookie. It looks neat. 3. Again, the Skewb. Buying the real brand gives good results :D d) Complexity? The Professor Cube. I love solving it.
10) Model rocketry, programming, Minecraft
11) I'm going into Grade 9 and I'm 12. That seems interesting enough.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 9:03 pm 

13, just got permission to post, toronto, student, N/A

2) Is your main twisty puzzles interest collecting, building, or something else?
speedsolving, although i want to try modding when i figure out a way to get a lot more money

around 2 years, not very dedicated though

only ideas, no real things

20, around 300 dollars or something...

I only get puzzles with good and non-tedious solutions, then i start speed-solving XD

I have no idea--undecided

my v-cube 7 XD

a) 3x3x3, it is themost common b) undecided c) 3x3x3 d) square-1 e) nothing

pov-ray, but i just started so I can't make animations or complex objects

not really--i can't really do much

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 9:30 pm 

19, University student in Nova Scotia, Canada.

Collecting/solving about equally.

Got a 3x3 for Christmas when I was 17. That was ll I had until I got a Megaminx and Square-1 the following Christmas...then the madness began.

Not a builder

Currently have 100+ puzzles, but only about 70-some are unique. Not sure of how much it's worth, except that I spend way more than I should on them, what with my student loans and all.

Try to just collect various standard twisty puzzles, I only really get sticker mods if they add something to the puzzle, like supercubes or Escher stickers. I don't really collect other types of puzzles.

Don't really have any sentimental attachments for any of my puzzles, since I've bought pretty much all of them myself. I suppose I invested a lot of time into painstakingly stickering my teraminx, so I'll have to go with that.

Don't really have any rare puzzles, so probably the Teraminx

a) 3x3 (It'sclassic) b) Mirror Block (bump cube) c) Megaminx d) Square-1 (Still haven't memorized the solution. Some day.) e) Teraminx for showing off.

Origami, Writing. Competitive Cobra-taunting.

Nothing I can think of....

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 3:27 pm 

34 years old, Paris, actuary insurance risk modeling), eBay ID: arnaud_lacoume

I enjoy collecting and try to solve rubik’s puzzle. I have also built some puzzle. I would like to learn more on building, because until now, building for me was related to saw and milliput!

I have started when I was student, because one of my friend was fond of brain-teaser, and especially of cubing. 10 years ago, finding a 4*4*4 cube was a challenge. I have forgotten about puzzle until 2 years ago, when I have discovered than I have lost a lot in the rubik’s world…

I have build windmill, proportional 3*3*5, 1*1*1, 2*2*1 cube. Also : Diamond cube, fused cube normal and mini size), Siamese cube, extended Siamese 3*4*5 cube, half truncated (normal size and mini), cuboctahedron, 4*4*4 cuboctahedron. Project : truncated ultimate skewb probably.

mmm… About 100 puzzles and it cost me too much!!

I haven’t enough money for cube on Shapeways, unfortunately. 50$ is my boundary, but I have made some exceptions until 100$.

My 3*3*5 proportional cube; it is not the most beautiful, bit I have worked so much for it !

My 11 colour dogic, with the 5 colour set. Maybe, in a while, the mini hexaminx of Greg (ok, this is the exception for Shapeways :mrgreen: !)

a) 3*3*3 cube b) Teraminx c) 3*3*5 cube d) 4*4*4 Crazy cube II e) Gear extreme ultimate cube

Mathematics, Paleolitic art, Comics and SF Reading, climbing and extreme sports, traveling (polar regions, asia, Africa, south America)

I am black belt in judo.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 7:11 am 

Hi my name's Max, I'm 22 years old and currently live in Richmond, VA.

Right now I really enjoy speedsolving, I currently average 23.xx on 3x3, my personal best single is 15.81. Slowly moving down the road to sub 20. The more puzzles I get the more I really enjoy disassembling them and seeing how they work. I may start making some custom puzzles sooner or later. I've got a design for a fully functional siamese 3x3 made of 2ish Guhong's. It's still in the prelim stages as of now though.

I've only been cubing for about a year and a half, but I see it becoming a lifelong hobby.

I don't have a huge collection as of yet, but I've got about 24 puzzles or so.

I don't really think of my collection having "boundaries" I really like all types of puzzles.

I think my Rubik's brand 3x3 is the most sentimental to me. It was the first puzzle I bought and the one I learned how to solve with.

Which one would currently have the most monetary value on eBay?
Probably my modded v7 or my mf8 gigaminx.

What is your favourite puzzle overall for: a) solving: either 3x3, 5x5, or Square-1. b) appearance: 7x7 or gigaminx c) My Dayan Lunhui d) Square-1

As far as other hobbie's go, I've got a few. I'm an avid juggler and also balancer. I enjoy tightrope walking, as well as walking and balancing on props in an urban environment such as handrails.

Also, I'm an extreme unicyclist. I mainly ride street, which is best compared to skateboarding but on a unicycle. Doing tricks down stair sets, ramps, and even grinding handrails. I also dabble in Muni(mountain unicycling) and distance riding. I have a 36" unicycle that is used for distance riding. I average about 12-13mph on it.

I'm also a memeber of the speedsolving.com forum under the same username, my main reason for wanting to join these forums is to help expand my knowledge on how to solve unique puzzles and maybe expand my collection some.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 3:06 pm 

13, Florida, College student (FAU)

I am mainly interested in commutators. I am working on my PLLs right now

Only 2 months :D

None, But I am planning on building a 1*2*2

I have a rubik's 3x3, a sheng en F-2 3x3, vcube2a, shengshou 4x4, and a plastic tiled (now cubesmith stickers) 3x3. A whole 30 dollars maybe?

No boundaries here.

I love my sheng en F2, Just because it is my first speed cube

No eBay here

all sheng en, really my only puzzle

I am a Yo-Yoer-ist-thing... glowsticking, poi, just skilltoys in general.

Not really :D

Post subject: Who's Splinter
PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2011 7:47 am 

I just turned 41 (on 13/12/11), live with wife and kids (almost 3 now) in Eindhoven NL. I am a mechanical engineer (MSc.) specialized in legal and regulatory requirements regarding safety of medical devices. One of the patents I contributed to can be found here: patent
Ebay ID: starts with ‘Yo’. I don’t want to show this publicly, but you may PM me to learn it. A few exceptions aside, I generally am willing to have also another collector acquire an item and I normally prevent to enter ‘bidding wars’. I’m not the kind of guy that is hiding and only following an item to place the winning bid in the last seconds. Mostly I’m the first or second bidder, so anyone can see I’m in.

As a hobby, I design mazes (on paper / electronic sheet). As a kid my mum made some simple mazes on request, as you can see here:
Attachment:
Copy of ScannedDoc_20070117_173853.jpg
Copy of ScannedDoc_20070117_173853.jpg [ 3.41 KiB | Viewed 10942 times ]

I’ve some maze puzzles that were commercially available in the 70’s and 80’s, and recently bought a Zahnradlaby.

Since 1986 I’ve with periods drawn mazes, mostly as distraction in between homework and study. An early example here:
Attachment:
Copy of ScannedDoc_20070117_175253.jpg
Copy of ScannedDoc_20070117_175253.jpg [ 5.83 KiB | Viewed 10942 times ]

I’ve made mazes till the end of my study (in 1994); then I did not find (or create) time to continue this. I’ve picked it up as my wife likes most of my designs (see my avatar and signature) and liked it to have in her shop as E-book. This booklet was released October 2011, so recently.
As I like others to enjoy my designs also, I’ve tried to keep the price reasonably (and of course there’s a preview to help a buy decision).
I also have picked up the puzzle collecting / solving somewhat. In fact buying the Zahnradlaby was the trigger to search for these kinds of puzzles on the internet. And that was how I ended up here :D
And because (see my profession) I do something decent when I make a decision to do something, I also started a Dutch overview page regarding actual mazes (in parks and such), maze puzzles, maze games and maze books.

In my youth I have built some wooden puzzles from a book, e.g. a ‘trapped ring’ and sliding rectangular blocks puzzles. And a maze with paper walls through which a ball runs. Also my E-book holds a cubical maze I’ve built with paper (is in the preview so free available).
I think in some time I’ll look at what Shapeways in combination with mazes can offer; I was already quite surprised what Steve Winter posted, regarding his Ethereal Maze. (Is on my wish list by the way)

I’ve some maze puzzles that were commercially available in the 70’s and 80’s, and recently bought a Zahnradlaby. And a Rubic’s Magic (I think that was the name; made by Matchbox). And some metal wire puzzles.
My father had 2 Rubik’s cubes which I played with sometimes in my youth.
I value my ‘collection’ in worth below $80,-. But with what is on my wish list….

I like puzzles with some mechanical aspects and logic in it. For me puzzling should be fun, and not take too much time. I guess I’ll probably never come to solving a tetrahecticaloctagonalical multi-cube… but you never know.

Not have really one. But was very happy when I managed to create a maze puzzle with paper walls from one of my personal best liked mazes. And I still have this puzzle.

The Zahnradlaby.

a) my own maze on page 14 of my E-book. I drew this maze in 1987, and had some difficulty (while I did not store the solution) to find the solution again to include in the book.
b) the Zahnradlaby definitely was bought on appearance
c) a simple ball maze puzzle from the 80’s
d) no favorite yet (xmatrix on wish list?)
e) will probably come also

Kids and family come first now, and from that also some hobbies (designing and building now a plywood castle). Have played some chess and GO, and do this still very occasionally. Also I am quite capable in playing a theatrical organ (I possess a Gulbransen series 600).

Maybe, just maybe I might come up in the future with something interesting regarding puzzles (at Shapeways, in laser-cut or else). Inspired by this forum. Seeing the experience I have with 3-D designing (Pro-Engineer), manufacturing methods, mechanisms, patents and CE-marking (if it would be a toy).
The line "maybe I'm amazed" in my signature comes (of course) from the Paul McCartney song. This is another interest of me.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 11:14 pm 
Before I answer the questions, I have a quick question of my own. I'm a brand new member at twisty puzzles. I have a YouTube page called CrazyBadCuber and I make high quality video's on all sorts of cubing related topics. My questions is - Is it ok for me to post links to my video's on tutorials for cubes people are wondering how to solve, and if I have a tutorial that's not been talked about, am I allowed to post that one as well? If I review a cube, can I post that? Until I hear otherwise I'm going to continue doing so as I've only had positive responses from it so far =)

My name is Dan, 30 years old, New Westminster BC Canada, sports court designer and painter.

I like to collect and solve puzzles. I also enjoy making video's about them and posting them on YouTube.

I've been cubing for just over 2 years now. I was seeing a girl (now my gf that I live with) and she had a roommate at the time and her roommate had a cube. I remembered seeing a tutorial online about how to solve it but all I remembered what the first layer, as in one side. I didn't remember that you had to permute pieces correctly so I got one side and then couldn't get another one obviously. I watched a tutorial on YouTube and I was hooked ever since. I'm sure we all know what that's like.

The only puzzle I have built myself is a fully functional 3x3x5 but am trying to find a way to build my own 2x3x3. I might build my own fisher cube. I'm brand new at puzzle modding and I'm surprised the 3x3x5 came out as good as it did.

I believe I have 67 puzzles.

I try and avoid knock-offs. I had a v cube knock off for a while but have gotten rid of it since. I never thought about my boundaries. I would have never thought Id spend hundreds of dollars on a single cube, but now I've started buying hand made puzzles designed by Traiphum and also some Shapeways puzzles. I collect rare puzzles such as these, cuboids, and just regular cubes that everybody else has.

Hard to say. My favourite 3 are the 3x3x5 I built, Traiphum's megamorphix and Tom Z's FF 4x4x6. I'm going to have to say the are even.

It's a tie between the 4x4x6 and the megamorphix

I would have to say it's the megamorphix. I love morphix puzzles and this one is awesome =)

I used to practice close up card magic and I still play electric guitar to this day.

Not at this time.

Thanks for reading!

Post subject: Hello everyone, I'm new here.
PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 10:20 am 

So how's it going everyone? My name's Carl (but Kuo, or AgentKuo is fine too)

I got into cubing about 2-3 years ago, and recently came back to it after about a year break.

Right now, my collection is pretty small. It consists of: (all of my puzzles have a black body.)
Rubik's brand Rubik's Cube
QJ Pyraminx
QJ Megaminx
TDC Quad Cube
15-Puzzle (if that counts)

And I'm getting the following in the mail soon:
Dayan 5 Zanchi
ShengShou 4x4
Lanlan Skewb

My average time for the 3x3 is about 1:xx (xx being anywhere between 0 and 15 seconds). But right now, I'm not going for speed, I'm just trying to learn full OLL and PLL. (currently working on PLL)

Aside from cubing, I've recently got back into yoyoing. I also love watching movies, listening to music, playing video games (mostly PS3), hanging out, and doing stuff on the internet. So yeah, that's a little about me.

Anything else you wanna know, don't be afraid to ask.

Post subject: Re: Hello everyone, I'm new here.
PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 10:34 am 

Hi Carl,

Welcome to the forum. This post seems like it would be perfect in the Who's Who thread. Perhaps a moderator could move it there. [Admin: Done!]

You seem to have a nice starting point for a collection, and I would be happy to recommend you any puzzles that you're thinking about. Feel free to PM me about puzzles you're thinking about and I'll be happy to give some advice.

One other thing is that you shouldn't talk about knock-off brands of puzzles. It's hard to know what's a knock-off and what's not, but you'll get a idea of what brands are knock-off brands pretty quickly. Again, feel free to ask me whether a puzzle is a knock-off or not by messaging me.

Hope you have fun here! :)

Buy the Curvy Copter Skewb, NovaMinx, and more here!

Post subject: Re: Hello everyone, I'm new here.
PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 11:05 am 

Luke wrote:
Hi Carl,

Welcome to the forum. This post seems like it would be perfect in the Who's Who thread. Perhaps a moderator could move it there.

You seem to have a nice starting point for a collection, and I would be happy to recommend you any puzzles that you're thinking about. Feel free to PM me about puzzles you're thinking about and I'll be happy to give some advice.

One other thing is that you shouldn't talk about knock-off brands of puzzles. It's hard to know what's a knock-off and what's not, but you'll get a idea of what brands are knock-off brands pretty quickly. Again, feel free to ask me whether a puzzle is a knock-off or not by messaging me.

Hope you have fun here! :)

Thanks. Yeah, I wasn't quite sure if this was the appropriate place to post an introduction or not.
And honestly, the number of puzzles that are out there is so ridiculously overwhelming, I want all of them! Ha ha, but yeah, I'll PM you if I have any questions or want some advice, I really appreciate your reply.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 11:12 pm 

I'll answer the questions, though, to give you a better idea of who I am.

18, Florida (USA), no profession yet, no eBay ID.

Collecting at this point. At some point I want to begin learning how to mod and build.

I originally got into cubing after watching one of Thrawst's videos, and decided I wanted to learn to solve the cube. So I asked my cousin to get me a Rubik's cube for Christmas, and he did, and so that's where it started. But I eneded up learning how to solve it from Dan Brown.
This was about 2 years ago. About a year ago, I didn't have much money and I didn't have any cubes, so it stopped being a priority/hobby, but now I have a job, so I got back into it.

Nothing yet, but as of now I just have some ideas for 3x3x3 mods.

Currently there are 9 puzzles in my collection. All together it's probably worth about $50.

Right now my collection is mostly cubes. But I have a pyraminx and megaminx as well. I generally go for puzzles that don't change shape (ie: it always looks like a cube or whatever.) I'm not a big fan of floppy stuff, and I like symmetry. I dunno, it's hard to explain.

I don't really have any that have sentimental value.

They all cost around $10, so...

a) Prof. Pyraminx (I haven't had the chance to try one, but it just looks like such a fun challenge)
b) Either Mosaic Cube or Curvy Copter
c) 3x3
d) Skewb, just because it looks simple, but I'm determined to solve it intuitively.

Too many. Yoyoing, video games, cooking, watching movies, watching tv, hanging with friends, internet, starting Couponing...and so many more that I've done in the past.

I am trying to make a list of all the movies I've ever seen. It's in progress, but it has a ton on the list. So if you need movie suggestions, I'm your guy, possibly...

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 11:18 am 

I am Richard, or just WaG! (though that username was impossible on this forum due to the exclamation mark), 37 and living in Hilversum, the Netherlands. I work at an IT-company and hope to switch back from process controller to engineer later this year.

I have a huge interest in puzzles in general. It did start with the Rubik's cube because my dad got his hands on one, right after it launched. And since he worked at the publisher that brought out Jan van der Craats' book in 1981, he started studying algorithms right away. I started playing around with it a bit when I was about 7 or 8 years old, but never really got into solving them until recently. I did start to collect other Rubik puzzles later on, like the Clock, Illusion, Magic etcetera, but I do also love to build a 1000 or 2000 piece Jigsaw puzzle together with my girlfriend.

I did collect a handful of Rubik and truly twisty puzzles (about 12 to 15 or so) over the years until the late 90's. After that it stopped for a while and I really got into the wood-and-rope puzzles, puzzle rings, wooden construction puzzles and even hand built some that were listed in one of my puzzle books (thanks, Botermans!). So I have a bunch of those brainteasing things, besides a dozen or so of jigsaw puzzles. Late December 2011 I got some cubes out again and started to really study on solving it. Within a day I was able to finally solve a 3x3x3 and within a few days I had a 3 minute estimate, and that was with a simple solution provided by Dan Brown (no, not the writer). Now I spend some of my spare time going over the Lars Petrus method, some important algorithms and practising some more on solving a normal 3x3x3 a bit faster, though speed cubing is not my aim. It took me about 30 years to finally be able to solve it, and with that love for mechanical puzzles hit me again. So lately I got all my puzzles out and will give them a prominent place in my living room in the coming weeks while redesigning some of the house with my girlfriend.

I haven't built a lot of puzzles, except for a gift here or there a few years ago. I did end up actually designing and building a nice 3D sliding cube (like the Slide Cube or Varikon) in the late eighties, but that one never made it to my house when I moved out 10 years later and never thought about it until I saw it in stores years later. So now I will just keep myself busy with collecting, solving and reading about everything puzzle related.

When it comes to Twisty puzzles and Rubik's products about 20. And then a bunch of other types of puzzles that I mentioned before. Not a lot of money, so no need to break into my house! :shock:

I don't really collect, but I do buy things once in a while when I find them interesting, new or when there is an actual chance of me being able to solve it. I will never have the need for a 7x7x7 for instance, since I don't see myself going over solving it for the coming decade. Certain puzzles are for some people a technical wonder that they need to have, to me they are 'more of the same'. I mainly love completely new ideas, interesting twists and inventive puzzles.

A knock off 3x3x3, diagonally restickered in a similar way as the Rubenking Cube, but then without a system in the colour scheme. It was made by my dad in the mid eighties and I will cherish that forever, especially my dad died way too early a few years ago.

I don't browse on eBay for puzzles. I get mine as gifts or buy them if I have the money for it and I really want them. I don't buy them because I need to extend a collection.

a) Rubik's Clock, since it was the first mechanical puzzle I was able to solve without studying algorithms provided by other people.
b) I love the look of a scrambled Mirror Cube! I really have to get myself one of those!
c) The best feeling I get from a 3x3x3 cube, stickered with hearts and 'I love you' on it. It was a 2010 Xmas gift from my girlfriend :D
d) Not a twisty puzzle, but I have an old blue coloured Dool 'O Rinth. It's complex because I keep forgetting the pathway and your eyes can't help you with the solution! It's not complex as in solving it, but complex in reaching the solution.
e) Besides my dads old Octagonal Barrel, absolutely his hand stickered cube! No doubt about that and that will probably never change :!:

Oh yes, I will be back into archery again this year (traditional with a laminated D-shaped English longbow, but also with a more modern recurve) and I love Geocaching whenever I have some time left (which is not a lot, sadly enough).

Uhm... Nope, that's about it for now I guess!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 3:21 pm 

17(18 in 1 month), high school student, no ebay, yet
Working on collecting. Main interest is solving impressive looking puzzles during school to impress people, get numbers, etc
Since around 2010
Don't build, but do mod slightly.
15, $300, due to having 4 larger v-cubes
I like cubular puzzles with odd numbered edges, and single layer odd shaped puzzles, such as Pyraminx and Megaminx. I don't really like cubes with even numbered edges
My "clown cube" 3x3. It was my first puzzle, and also the one I learned to solve on.
My V-cube 7
a) "Clown cube" 3x3: Fast to solve, easily impresses people
b)QJ Megaminx: So intimidating to those who can't solve it
c)"Clown cube" 3x3: "Turns like butter" to quote someone from school
d)V-cube 7

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 1:49 am 

Hi all. I just joined, an thought I'd dig in to this thread to introduce myself. I've been into puzzles for many years, but only re-caught the bug this past Winter. I think it started by being thoroughly impressed by Oskar's puzzles, and then it was all downhill from there. ;) I got a Rubik's 3x3x3 for christmas from my in-laws, and the rest is history.

When I was younger, in the 80s, my sister had a knockoff cube, right in the hey-day of the Rubik's craze. I remember that I used to pop out one piece and reverse it so that it was unsolvable, as a joke. That said, she knew how to solve it and I never learned. I did have a Whip-It then, which I never considered to be a challenge, but it was fun to play with. In the late 80s, I had both sizes of Rubik's Magic puzzles (long since missing sadly -- although one of them completely fell apart at one point.) I remember being SO EXCITED when I figured out the trick to solve them. I think I managed to get my solve time on the 8 panel down to 4-5 seconds. hehe.

I've decided that this year I was going to learn how to finally solve the 3x3x3 (and of course, more puzzles afterwards). I'm taking it slowly though, learning one algorithm every few days... practicing it over and over, until it becomes instinctual, then i move on to the next algorithm... :)

In the past month, I've started to amass a collection as well. It's not huge, but they all start small, right?

and now the suggestion questions...

Hi. I'm Scott... I'm 38 from Rochester NY, USA. I like long walks on the beach and hanging out with my wife and 3 year old son. ;) Other nicknames I use on the net: Yorgle, BleuLlama

Currently Solving, but collecting is i think about to snowball, once i have some disposable income. ;) I'm anxious to make my own 1x2x3 which will likely happen soon, as I also did just get a Dremel. ;)

see my intro paragraph :D

none yet... YET. ;) I do want to make a 1x2 and a 1x2x3. I did just see a video about converting a 3x3x3 Crazy cube into a 3x3x5, and that looked easy and fun to do too....

Currently it's pretty small;
  • Floppy 3x3x1 Puzzle Game
  • QJ 3x3x2 Puzzle Cube
  • Dayan 5 ZhanChi 3x3x3 Speed Cube
  • TDC Games 3334 Quad Cube (4 x 2x2x2 Siamese)
  • 3x3x3 Void Cube
  • Rubik's 1x1x3 Flashlight Keychain
  • Rubik's 2x2x2
  • Rubik's 3x3x3

I used to collect larger things (arcade machines, mainly).. I love that a top-end cube (like the GuHong) is only $15, and my entire collection easily fits in my backpack. :D

I haven't really defined this yet. I think I want to stick with cubeie-type puzzles first, and then perhaps branch out into pyramid puzzles, or perhaps finally get a "Missing Link". One of the kids on the school bus back in the 80s had one, and I always thought it was neat.

I don't think I really have one right now. The void cube is neat, the Rubik's 3x3 is durable (my 3 year old loves playing with it) and my GuHong is like butter.

Nah. none of my stuff is rare.

GuHong for solving and feel. Rubik's for appearance (Classic look, stickers are lined up. hehe)

I like to write software. I have some apps in the iOS app store; search on my real name "Scott Lawrence". If any of you would like any of the apps i have there, just ask, I'm very liberal with my free activation codes. :)

I like cheese.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 10:27 am 

13, Ohio, student, n/a

I mainly like building and collecting

I started a couple years back. I stopped after it became a distraction and slightly affected my grades, but I eventually saw the mass-produced tuttminx and I told myself that I had to get it

I've made a lot of extended 3x3 mods, a gigantic cardboard 1x2x3, a 1x1 version of the tuttminx, a few sticker mods, and a monominx

About 40. Like around $750

I like every kind of cuboid puzzle. I also like the helictoper puzzles. Puzzles with weird shapes tend to catch my eye. I'm quite fond of edge-turning puzzles despite that I don't have any :lol: I don't really care for the billions of circle puzzles.

My v-cube 7. I'm not sure why, but it's just my favorite

Mines are all pretty cheap, so I'm not sure. My white tuttminx might be.

a) v-cube 5, b) Helicopter dodecahedron, c) v-cube 6, d) Big Chop, e) Examinx

I play the piano, a little guitar. I build a lot of duct tape sculptures which is why I chose my username.

It took me one and a half years to realize the pentultimate was a faceturning puzzle. :roll:

The line below is true
The line above is false

Last edited by Ducttapemaster48 on Thu Feb 23, 2012 9:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 2:03 pm 

13, Niwot, Co, Student, N/A
I am mainly interested in solving.
I have been cubing for about 2 and a half years.
I am working on 5x5 and 7x7 evil twins.
15ish.. Maybe $500 (theres an 11x11 and a teraminx in there)
I avoid as best i can KOs, but i still got an 11x11... I like higher order puzzles.
Either my 1980 3x3 or my v-7. My 3x3 is just old giving it more sentimentality, but the v7 has signs of wear and tear.
My teraminx; my 11x11 is missing a piece.
a) teraminx b) vulcano c) gear cube d) Multidodecahedron (I do not own one but i will soon) e) 17x17x17
Math. Lots of math. And parkour.
Nope, thats all :)

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 8:59 pm 

13, Chicago, student, n/a.

I mainly like building and collecting.

I started a year ago, when my brother bought a rubiks ice cube, and i got a 3x3. I have held true to collecting the whole time.

I've made a a few sticker mods, a Siamese cube, and a bunch of Lego puzzles. As for current projects, wait and find out!

About 60-70. Probably 500$

Anything unique. However, i hate corner turning puzzles. Too tedious to solve.

My first 3x3. The one puzzle I will always bring on a trip.

My aloft or Ibm cubes.

a) 3x3, b) Helicopter dodecahedron, c) v-cube 7, d) over the top, e) DeCath

I collect almost anything, I am in our school play, and love legos.

If I had a million dollars, I would buy every cube in the world, and every puzzle, even if that meant I had no money left over.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 10:54 pm 

14, UK, Student
Solving.
My uncle gave me a Rubik's Cube and gave me the challenge to solve it, film myself and show him. After 4 months of trying and giving up I finally made a huge effort to learn the final algorithms and since then I have been trying to improve on my times.
N/A
Only 5 (new to the community)
Expensive ones (especially Shapeways lol!)
My Dayan Zhanchi stickerless because I paid for it myself.
Dayan Zhanchi Stickerless.
a) Zhanchi Stickerless b) Zhanchi Stickerless c)Zhanchi Stickerless d) Void cube e) First cube (very special to me)
I like juggling, cycling, using my laptop and chilling.
My YouTube username is ZubbyQureshi.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 10:40 pm 

14, Missouri, USA, student, no eBay ID
I like collecting and solving
My dad taught me to solve a Rubik's Cube a couple years ago after digging up his 30-year old cube and scrambling it. I got my own cube but quickly lost interest. In December my dad re-taught me, I got a 4x4x4 for Christmas 2011, and it started from there.
I don't build puzzles (though I would like to)
5) How many puzzles are in your collection? Would you dare estimate how much it's worth? Only 11 in my collection,
2x2x2-5x5x5
MegaMinx
Void Cube
Octahedron
Truncated Cube
Mirror Cube
(2) 80’s 3x3x3
I am low on cash but I am getting more. It’s probably worth about 80-90 US Dollars.
I like the 6-sided ones, but I do have the MegaMinx. Also, I don’t like the jumbling ones as much.
None are sentimental to me
I can’t say, they’re all worth about $10.
a)Solving- Defiantly the 5x5x5
b) appearance-The Void Cube
c) feel- the 5x5x5
d) complexity- I guess the MegaMinx, my puzzles aren’t that complex
e) other reasons- The 5x5x5. I love that puzzle. :mrgreen:
Collecting Weatherbirds, I also like card games and mechanics. Me and my dad are fixing up his old 1978 Pontaic V8 Trans-Am. Amazing hood decal. :mrgreen:
I am homeschooled (not much longer I'm going to high school in the fall)

Last edited by weatherbird on Thu Apr 05, 2012 8:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 2:11 pm 

Location: In my study drooling over my puzzle hoard - Precioussssss!
Old enough to know better! A big give away is that I was a teenager in 1979 when Pentangle puzzles first imported the Rubik cube into the UK (before the Ideal company and Hungarian government double-crossed James Dalgety (then the managing director)
I am a consultant anaesthetist in a major teaching hospital in the UK

Mainly I collect - I do try to solve everything I buy and occasionally have to resort to Youtube for help. I have never tried building - I really don't have the time!

Originally solved the 3x3 in 1979and was under 60 seconds at my peak! Lost touch as I got "too old for it" and then restarted with mechanical puzzles with the Revomaze about 18 months ago and began blogging about it. Rox corresponded with me and has encouraged me to restart twisty puzzles - Damn her!!!

Don't build! All I have done is restickered! :lol:

About 375 mechanical puzzles of which about 20 are twisty puzzles.
My Twisties are probably only worth £150-200 in total but my whole puzzle collection is worth several thousands!!! :oops:

I will play with anything that doesn't involve dexterity or jigsaws. I am rubbish at packing puzzles and only just starting to learn the twisty puzzles. I have enjoyed them all but particularly like the way the shape shifters mess with your head!

Obviously, I am attached to my 3x3! Because it was my first one from over 30 years ago!

My Vcube 7 or my Curvy copter

a) Curvy copter: Looks amazing, turns amazing, and makes non-puzzlers do a complete double-take when you show them!
b) Gear cube: It's just so different from everything else
c) Curvy copter: It just wants to turn everywhere!
d) Vcube 6x6: A large cube with plenty of parity options!

Just other puzzles and photography (mainly of my puzzles! :D ) I'm also into computing!

My name is Kevin and I'm a puzzleholic! :shock:

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 4:28 pm 

1) Age:
Collecting and solving (not necessarily speed solving)
3) How long have you been doing the above?
About two years.
4) Do I build puzzles?
No, but I would if I could.
5) How many puzzles are in your collection?
Around seven.
6) How would you define the "boundaries" of your collection?
My main interest is non-shapeshifting twisty puzzles.
My storebought Rubik's 3x3 with lego stickers: It was my first cube and first mod.
Rubik's slide
9) What is your favourite puzzle overall for: a) solving: Rubik's 4x4, b) appearance: Rubik's LEGO, c) feel Rubik's LEGO, d) complexity Rubik's 4x4, e) other reasons: 4x4: this gets some interesting reactions at school from people who had no idea there was anything beyond the traditional Rubik's 3x3.
I suppose I have a few others if you consider gaming. I also play baseball and like to fly my RC Air Hogs plane at the park.
My first name is Evan, I have no good reason why I decided to use only my first initial for my username.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 1:04 am 

37, USA

I recently solved my first speed cube which was kinda cool. I like writing about twisty puzzles and mechanical puzzles in general on my puzzle blog called Puzzle Rookie.

I had a rubik's cube when I was a kid but was never able to solve it. However, I recently kicked its butt and solved it! I also had a missing link puzzle and an pyraminx. Those I was able to solve. If you like to read a story about my cubing in the 80's then check out a little something I wrote called "My Cube and Me. http://puzzlerookie.blogspot.com/2012/03/my-cube-and-me.html

I don't build puzzles but I do like making flashlights out of altoids candy tins.

Not very many and they are not worth that much in monetary value but in fun value they are worth a gazillion dollars!!!

So far I have not run across a puzzle that I would avoid.

The missing link and Pyraminx puzzles mean a lot to me because they were the first twisties that I was able to solve and they remind me of the glory days of arcades and comic books.

My stuff isn't worth that much and I'm cool with that fact.

Hmmmmmmm. At the moment, I would have to say it is my Illusion 7 black and white. I kinda of wished this puzzle would have been around in the 80's. The reason is because you don't have to memorize algorithms.

Is being socially awkward a hobby?

Have I mentioned that I love skulls?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 10:22 am 

- I'm 16 years old, I live in Finland, I'm student and I have no eBay ID

- I have never built a twisty puzzle, and I don't think that my "collection" is big enough to be really called collection. So generally I am solver.

- I first decided to solve my old 2x2 with my frien less than year ago. That was when I got hooked into this.

- I have 17 puzzles. I think I have paid for all of them about 200 dollars combined. This is partly becouse I live in Finland, and everything is super expensive here.

- There are lot of 2D puzzles, like ligsaw puzzles, that are boring in my opinion. And those weird things with strings and rings are just anoying. No take-apart puzzles either. Only real twisty puzzles really. Lately I have been interested in very much little more complicated twisty puzzles than just 3x3:s, becouse they are not much of a challenge anymore.

- I'm not sure. Maby my Rubik's 2x2, becouse it was my first cube and it was the one that got me into cubing. But it could also be one of my V-cubes, becouse I just love them so much. Partly becouse they come from Greece, wich is the best place on earth.

- Propably the V-cube 7.

- a) curvy copter, b) curvy copter or V-cube 7, c) skewb ,d) curvy copter

- Well... I'm very athletic. I play multiple different sports with my friends all the time. I have also just started gymnasticts. Propably my most pasioned hobby is diving. I'm very good at free diving, I love snorkeling and scuba diving is mother of all good things on earth.

- Meh, I'm pretty much just average teenager.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 7:09 pm 

Carl Brannen
Age: 54, Pullman, WA, physics grad student, no puzzles on eBay;

Eventually I'd like to design cube mechanisms, but right now tasks are painting a teraminx and getting my solve times for the regular cube under a minute. (I use the same algorithm for all my puzzles, AB/A/B, what the mathematicians call the "commutator" but you guys probably have some other words for- it's the natural thing to do with two faces.)

I bought the first cubes back in the 80s and still have a lot of oldies, maybe a total of a dozen or so. None is worth more than $20; I'm rough on my toys.

My other hobbies are too numerous to mention. One of my interests is glass-ceramics. These are very tough materials and would make an interesting twisty puzzle.

I had brought some old puzzles to grad school and when my fellow grad students started messing with them I decided to fix my ancient megaminx (losing stickers). Not knowing it was possible to order new stickers for them, I stripped off all the stickers, sanded it, and repainted it with nail polish. I'll see if I can upload a photo as my avatar...

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 9:04 am 

I'm currently 15, turning 16 in November. Profession? Well my age does suggest that I'm just a student. Haven't got an eBay ID, until I start selling stuff of course. :)

When I first started, it was collecting. Now I'm trying to build them...slowly.

Been involved in Rubik's Cubes since 2008. Yes! I did lose my touch. :D It was when I got bored with collecting. Not sure how I managed to get back in though, but then I guess it is because I liked the thought of building your own puzzles.

I'm still a beginner really. My first was a Siamese Cube (except the really easy one where its fused block is 1x2x3). Since then, I built a Triamese with 1x3x3 fused blocks, a bandaged Megaminx, a 40-tile Rubik's Magic and now I'm working on rebuilding Tony's Container puzzle (which is proving to be a challenge for someone like me :D ). In regards to SolidWorks, I have finished some puzzles but I still don't have enough money to print them :( .

I can't be bothered to count (sorry :lol: ). I estimate that I must have just reached 90. Don't know how much it's worth. Most of it aren't collector's items anyways so it wouldn't be worth much and most of my earlier puzzles were the really cheap KOs (which I try to avoid now).

Most puzzles that "twist" I guess. That means none of those cast puzzles etc.

Right now, I got to say it's my face-turning Starminx. Why? It's a Starminx! How can you not like it? :lol: Let's hope they go on to mass-produce the Pentultimate...

If I'm not wrong, I think I only have one puzzle which might be considered a collector's item. It's this one:
http://www.twistypuzzles.com/cgi-bin/puzzle.cgi?pkey=495
Found it at my school fair, along with a Rubik's Magic Strategy Game, :o which is very weird and unusual. Best part about it is that I got them both at about $5 (AUD)! :lol:

Solving...would have to be my face-turning Starminx. For some reason, I solved it the first time but then every other attempt after that resulted in me messing the whole thing up. :lol: I'm not very sure about appearance. I guess I'll have to go with the Curvy Copter, or maybe my hand-made Triamese (because it looks really perfect). For feel, I just like the way the gears turn on the Gear Shift. For complexity, that will be tough if I am only looking at my collection, maybe my 40-tile Magic but never mind. For complexity, I would just choose any puzzle by Oskar! :lol: He is great. Other reasons? This time I must say my 40-tile Magic. It is one made by me and I'm very proud of it. :)

Interesting question. My life was full of different hobbies, but I think that after I got myself into Rubik's Cubes, every hobby I used to enjoy just disappeared, which I find a bit sad :( . Ever since I started Rubik's Cubes, I don't really have any other hobby. However, I'm really looking forward to getting one. :)

I'm weird...sometimes (most of the time) I really hate being very open about myself and other times I just...explode :lol: . Wait, did I just say I'm weird? Oh wait, I did. :lol: Okay so that's something I've told you already. Other than that, if you see my 40-tile Magic in the museum you can probably guess that I'm a bit nationalistic. I admit that I am. After I moved to Australia in 2008, the same year I picked up this hobby, I really really really missed Singapore (my home country). A lot. No offence to any Aussies here, your country is great by the way! :D But I really did, and I still do hence the reason for having that flag in the 40-tile Magic.

Okay that's it! :)
David Chua

But anyone can see it a mile away with those colours!

Post subject: Hello, I am new here
PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 1:54 pm 

Just was accepted and wanted to introduce myself. I am from Michigan and been crazy about puzzles since I was a kid and can't wait to buy some new ones that are out there.

Post subject: Re: Hello, I am new here
PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 3:03 pm 

What part of MI (if you don't mind me asking)?

And welcome!

Post subject: Re: Hello, I am new here
PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 6:13 pm 

WELCOME!!! I went to grad school at Michigan State there in East Lansing and my mom grew up in Michigan so I still have many relatives there.

Carl

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 6:59 am 

I'm 14, I live in Romania, I don't have ebay ID.
Building but i don't have money.
3) How long have you been doing the above?
I'm building puzzles for about 1 month.
I have built only 2 puzzles: a 2x2x2 from a 3x3x3 and a Rubik's Magic.
3. A 3x3x3, a built 2x2x2 and a Rubik's Magic. They worth about 40 USD...
I love all the puzzles but i don't have money to buy them.
My favourite puzzle is a ZhanChi 3x3x3 because is very nice.
The ZhanChi.
a)ZhanChi
b)Rubik's Magic
c)ZhanChi
d)ZhanChi
Yes, I have. I like Juggling, Fishing, Sports on wheels, cooking etc.
No :lol:

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 10:41 am 

Hi everyone, I have joined this forum long time but this is the first time I introduce myself

I'm almost 21 years old. I'm still a student studying Hoa Sen(Lotus) university(business administration). my eBay: gafitiu

I'm intersted in building, just building, and one of my big problem is I can not solve most of the puzzles I've made :shock:

I've built puzzles for almost 3 years.

Wow a lot. My first puzzle is half truncated cube. I build that cube myself after seeing a lot of beautiful handmade puzzles made by a guy in my forum. Next is hexgonal dipyramid, pyramorphix, Trajber's Octahedron, Axis Cube, various kinds of triangular prism shape, hex prism shape, bicone shape, hexagonal dipyramid shape and higher order axis cubes...

I'm not collecting puzzles. I've sold most of puzzles ive made for earning money. I have to pay school fee myself.

I think my 5x5 axis and bicone. they look very attractive.

I think my Square1 axis cube

a) skewb
b) 5x5 axis
c) ghost cube
d) ghost cube

Yes. I like travelling around my country. feel so good after the trips. I love singing and playing guitar(but until now Im still not good at playing it). I love hanging out with my university friends, the university life is the best and memorable period in my life.

I'm not tall and colors-blind :lol: No! I'm not really colors-blind, I just cant tell the name of some complicated colors. Such as violet and blue. Or light green and dark yellow.

I think I'm having a good life, studying in my favourite university, have a girlfriend, have a good and interesting part time job(selling handmade puzzles)

My picture of my and my girlfriend

My facebook is Sparta Gà if you'd like to add.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 1:51 pm 

Hello everyone, i've been lurking here for a couyple of months now, but finally got around to joining up :)

42, Bedford, England I'm a coach driver, mostly driving school kids around. Also currently doing a home study computer science degree with the Open University.

Mostly solving and collecting.

Only about 2 months...this time around. I had a rubik cube back in ~1981 when the craze first hit and everybody had one. I enjoyed playing with it but soon got to the point where i was stuck. after fiddling for a while i could either get to 2 face complete or 2 layers complete, and could never get any further - at age 11 the idea of using algorithms and such never occurred to me. Eventually found a cheap solution booklet on a market toy stall and bought it, and learned to solve it from there. As i remember it was something similar to the beginners method often shown these days, although i do remember a few different algorithms from it. From then it just kind of became a way for me to show off - 'oh yeah, i can do your cube for you'.

A few years later the revenge was released. I got one for Christmas, and had been fiddling around with it for a few days when it basically popped and exploded, and i could never get the thing back in one piece.

A couple of years after that i got a magic and a clock the clock i never figured out, don't even know what happened to it. The magic - i made the mistake of letting the kid next door have a play with it, and he wrecked it.

Over the years since then I've bought the odd puzzle here and there, and i remember about 5 or 6 years ago there was a monthly magazine that had a wooden puzzle with each installment that i collected for a while. lost those in a fire unfortunately.

Since then i never really did much, was off work sick for a number of years, so couldn't afford such luxuries anyway.

But a few months ago i was just flipping around youtube, and a video of Oskar's over the top appeared in the recommendations, and it blew me away. I spent that entire evening just watching his entire collection on youtube, and wishing i could afford to buy them all on shapeways. So i was intrigued, and started watching a few other youtube channels and got the idea that i wanted to try some again. I bought a cheap cube on ebay, new, but cheap - and it showed. it was barely usable.

By the time i had sold it i'd been looking around on HKnowstore a bit, and splashed out on about 15 puzzles or so (pretty much my entire current collection) Thoroughly enjoyed playing with them and solving them, and now i'm pretty determined to keep buying more - i currently am waiting for another fairly big order to arrive with another 13 (i think) puzzles.

(wow - wasn't expecting to write a novel there!)

I don't build - i have a hard enough time putting the DIY ones together when they arrive :) That is about the limit of my abilities in that regard.

18 at the moment, that's all :( more on the way though! :D I don't know about the value, but the cost would have been around £100

The boundaries are more to do with price than anything else really. I can't afford to spend vast amounts of money on them, even though i would like to. I'm very jealous of some collections I've seen on here and on youtube :) A lot of what i have at the moment are 3x3 shapemods, and i find them quite intriguing - the way they have the same mechanism but can be more difficult to solve with parities, and just plain piece recognition

None really

Probably my megaminx.

a) 3x3x4 - very much enjoying the cuboid idea. I didnt find this too difficult to solve, but i thoroughly enjoy solving it. I'm lookign forward to acquiring more in the genre.
b) For solved appearance I'd say the megaminx - It's good for scaring people that see it too - those friends that see the rubik cube as next to impossible turn white just lookign at my megaminx. Scrambled i like my case/slice cube - it just looks crazy when it's scrambled.
c) I love the way my Guhong turns :)
d) I guess in my current collection it would be the megaminx, but in my next batch i'm getting some crazy items which i think will top it.

Several. I enjoy watching the sport of MMA, I'm a fan of pretty much any form of motorsport, never miss an F1 race, and if i can, I will watch all the practise and qualifying sessions too. In general i enjoy watching most sports. I enjoy video games too - Racing sims, RPG and survival horror mostly. I also enjoy nature and wildlife. I spent 8 years as a volunteer helping to look after wolves at a small wolf sanctuary near where i live. I helped hand raise cubs, and we used to take them for walks with visitors each weekend, and i would give talks at the sanctuary and schools or groups in the surrounding area on wolves and wolf behaviour. Unfortunately i left after a fallign out with the owner early this year, and I'm still searching for a replacement :)

Nope - i think you now know anything that might be vaguely interesting about me.

Latest videos: Unboxing Burgo's incredible Crazy 2 Face B4 kit, Calvins 2x4x6

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 4:43 pm 

Member for just over a year and a half, with just under 300 posts, figured I'd make my claim here.

1. I am 13 years old (Turning 14 on March 1st, 2013), live in Westchester, NY (A suburb of NYC), and my eBay ID is rubixwiz031.

2. I am some of all. I have been doing some modding, with only one original one (WIP), and just recently got SolidWorks, and am hoping for some success there. In terms of my collection, it is large, but with only a few rare/ special puzzles.

3. My 6th grade math teacher had a bunch of Rubik's brand 3x3's in her classroom. I was extremely jealous of all the kids being able to solve it, so one day, I decided that I was going to learn how.
2 hours, and 6 Dan Brown videos later, I had it solved.

It took me about a week to memorize the beginners method I learned from Mr. Brown. I then purchased a EastSheen 4x4 and 5x5.
Memorizing + solving for the first time the 4x4 took about 3 days.
Memorizing + solving for the first time the 5x5 took 2.

That wasn't enough.

I bought a megaminx and a pyraminx.
Wow, that megaminx was hard :)

I went on to buy a magic and a 2x3x3. Then the 3x3x4. Then some more cuboids.

Then I learned CFOP, and started getting into speedcubing.

I then realized that, while speedcubing was fun, I much preferred twisty puzzles. So I stopped blowing money on speedcubes, sold most of them (the ones I never used, the ones I called my back ups), and that's when I started to become active here.

To summarize (and answer the question correctly), I have been twisty (and non- twisty) puzzling for just over 2 years.

4. I have not done anything massive, but I have done some things.
-Half Truncated cube
-Cubeoctahedron
-Master Cubeoctahedron
-Fisher cube
-A bunch of Open Bandages
-And I don't think theres anything wrong with saying this here. I am working on a 3x3x4 cuboid octahedron.

5. I have just under 200 in my collection. I really cannot say how much it is worth, as some of them are simply dependent on what someone else would pay for it.

6. I love cuboids, dodecahedrons, shape mods, dihedral puzzles, and hybrids. I generally avoid pillowed cubes, many layered cubes, and deep cut puzzles.

7. I would have to say my Dayan Gem 2, as it is the first puzzle I had where I came up with my own solution 100% (Well, I got one commutator from Brandon, but...)

8. Right now, my Dino 3x3. But I am the highest bidder on a certain electroplated Golden Cube right now... :twisted:

9. Favorite puzzle
a. Solving: Gem 2, for reasons stated above.
b. Appearance: Either my Pyraminx Crystal or my Ice Green Helicopter Dodecahedron. I cannot decide.
c. Feel: Gotta go with a speedcube here. My Guhong V2 is the best, by far.
d. Complexity (I assume mechanically): Probably Gear HMT

10. I play acoustic and electric guitar (I prefer acoustic, as I am classically trained), play many sports (Basketball, football, skiing and snowboarding), write short stories, and program a little bit.

11. I am one of the youngest ones here, I know, but I would like to say how much I appreciate being treated like any other, like an adult.
This is one of the great intellectual communities out there, and it's really nice that you accept kids like me :)

-Doug

Last edited by Doug Roth on Fri Nov 16, 2012 5:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 2:30 am 

Doug Roth wrote:
I am one of the youngest ones here, I know, but I would like to say how much I appreciate being treated like any other, like an adult. This is one of the great intellectual communities out there, and it's really nice that you accept kids like me :)
Nice bio. BTW, I know some 40 year olds who are less mature than you :lol:

Post subject: Re: **Census of all « puzzlers » in Canada.**
PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 9:09 pm 

Name: John
Username: See to the left
Province: Manitoba (Winnipeg)
Years: since 2008
I started a math/puzzles club at the University of Manitoba.

doctor who wrote:
I don't think I can make her pose without heavy sedation. The rendering doesn't have to be perfect, it just can't look like Oskar in drag.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 9:29 pm 

Name: Keegan
Username in forums: Keegan
Age (optional): 20
Gender (optional): Male
Current location (Province is fine but more detail would be nice): Antigonish, Nova Scotia
How long you've been interested in puzzles: About 4 years.

Aside from puzzles. my roommates and I have also recently gotten pretty into Magic: The Gathering

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 9:34 pm 
Name: Dan Fast
Username in forums: CrazyBadCuber
Age (optional): 31
Gender (optional): Male
Current location (Province is fine but more detail would be nice): New Westminster BC
How long you've been interested in puzzles: Around 3 years now.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 10:00 pm 

Name, Location, Profession:
Pete
Sioux Lookout, Ontario
Math teacher

Main Interest:
Solving, with some building. I've also been making direct-instruction style video tutorials (PeteTheGeek196 on YouTube).

How long have you been interested in puzzles?
While my interest in twisty puzzles is recent, I've been interested in mechanical, electronic and pencil-and-paper puzzles as long as I can remember. When the Rubik's cube came out in the mid 1980's I got one, but never really learned to solve it properly. When I recently set out to really learn to solve the 3x3, I encountered twisty puzzles and this wonderful hobby.

Building puzzles and Projects:
I'm just getting in to modding and building and 2013 will be my year to make mods. My goal for the end of 2012 is to make a 3x3x5 cuboid, but first I'm making other, simpler mods to refine my skills. I'm already reasonably good with tools and building things in general. I don't know how far I am going to take modding and building as it will take away time from solving and making videos.

How many puzzles are in your collection?
I don't want to estimate.

How would you define the "boundaries" of your collection?
I'm a solver, not a collector, so my "collection" reflects my evolving interests. Some themes in my collection might be: big cubes and big minxes, interesting geometries, and variants (such as the WitEden Mixup Plus series). I won't get any vintage or antique puzzles.

Which one of your puzzles is the sentimental favourite and why?
I have a Puzl.co.uk tiled speed cube that I have passed around in classrooms all over northern Ontario. It has fascinated and delighted children for years. It is in excellent condition and it is still my main 3x3.

Which one would currently have the most monetary value on eBay?
Not one of them. The most expensive would be a tie between the Petaminx and the 3x5x7.

What is your favourite puzzle overall for: a) solving, b) appearance, c) feel, d) complexity, e) other reasons.
The Classical Tuttminx from Very Puzzle. The planar truncated icosahedron shape is beautiful, the solve takes some time but is not overly taxing and is just a lot of fun. It was the first puzzle for which I worked out my own solution and commutators.

Enough about puzzles. Do you have any other hobbies?
I build computers and I take photographs.

Is there anything else interesting about yourself that you'd like to share?
I was a computer engineer before I "retired" to become a math teacher.

Last edited by Pete the Geek on Sun Nov 04, 2012 8:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 11:23 pm 

Name: Benjamin
Location: Grande Prairie AB (Just moved up from Newfoundland; I don't think there are any Newfoundlanders on here.)
I started Christmas 2011

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 7:30 am 

I personally did not post in the who's who thread, so maybe there are others who did not.
Plus I find interesting to know who is in the same country as me without having to search through the who's who thread.

So here are my info:

Name: James William Turner* (Turner is my last name)
Username: polymaker
Current location : Trois-Rivières (Three-rivers), Québec
How long you've been interested in puzzles:
I can say since I'm a kid, because I remember my dad letting me play with his cubes he had during university.
But I started collecting only at the end of high school, around 2007-2008 if I remember correctly.
I started designing puzzles around 2011 after discovering this forum.

*Even though my name sounds English, I'm french :)
*Another fun fact about my name: my dad being a really big fan of star trek, he named me after the captain James T. Kirk, who is played by William Shatner :lol:

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 12:30 pm 

16, living in Lindsay, Ontario, Canada, full time highschool student :P No ebay.
I am in the process of learning CFOP. Right now I use the beginners method with 4 look last layer and average around 39 s and have a full step PB of 30.06 (24.08 with PLL skip) I do enjoy trying to solve other puzzles, like the Witeden Mixup Plus cube. Recently, I started getting into mods as well.
I have been solving puzzles for less than two years right now. I started when I got the chicken pox in grade (grade 9!) and I had a Rubik's cube at home. In my time off I learned how to do the cube with Dan Brown's Tutorial. I have loved twisty puzzles ever since.
I have just started, and so far I have only made a half-truncated 3x3, but I plan to make more mods in the future.
I have between 20-30 puzzles in total, including numerous 3x3s with different stickers or sticker mods.
Right now I avoid pricey hand mod puzzles, just because of where I am in my life right now.
My Dayan megaminx, because it was the first puzzle that I ever solved on my own, without a tutorial.
I guess I could say my most expensive puzzle is just my V-7
a)3x3! It's a puzzle that I can keep improving at.
b)I think my Master Kilominx looks impressive and awesome.
c)Dayan Megaminx
d)Witeden Mixup Plus-I still haven't solved it, but it is so much fun.
Electronics and building circuits that do cool things :P
I made a bet with a close friend that if I end up with a degree in mathematics and I can speed solve with an average under 25 s that I would get a tattoo of a Rubik's cube. The particular one in mention looks awesome :P

3x3 PB: 30.36 - Beginner's method plus four look LL (24.08 with PLL skip)

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 3:01 pm 

I'm 16, live near Las Vegas NV, high-school student, no Ebay.
I am mostly interested in puzzle building and designing. I do like solving puzzles as well, but I usually only do this in my spare time.
I started the hobby about a year ago when I learned how to solve my first Rubik's cube from a tutorial online. I was searching the internet and found Tony's Fisher cube. I thought it was really cool and hand made it myself instead of buying it, and it just grew from there.
I have built a custom Fisher cube, a FF 3x3x5, and a circle cube by hand. I have also made two puzzles by CAD and 3D printing: the Windmill Square-1 and Shapeshifting 3x3x6.
I have about 30 puzzles in my collection. Excluding Shapeways puzzles it's worth about 200-300 dollars.
I try to collect puzzles that are unique and introduce new mechanical and solving concepts, such as the Latch cube and Gear Cube Extreme. I try to avoid high order NxNxN puzzles because I would never play with or use them.
Probably my Shapeshifting 3x3x6, since it is my milestone of designing.
Probably Oskar's Even Less Gears, as it's the most rare.
a)The Square-1, since it's the only puzzle other than 3x3 that I truly speed solve.
b)The Curvy Copter, I think puzzles with curved cuts are very pretty.
c)My DaYan Zhanchi 3x3, it is the smoothest and best turning puzzle I have.
d)Probably my Pyraminx Crystal since it contains the most parts.
e)My Sudoku cube because it is the most difficult puzzle I own.
I am interested In video production and I enjoy making high-quality videos and putting them up online. I'm also interested in mechanical engineering.
Nothing really, other than the fact that I play a musical instrument.

Last edited by benpuzzles on Fri Feb 01, 2013 5:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 5:10 pm 

I'm new to this forum, and I figured here would be a good place to start :)

1) I'm 14, live in the UK, and go to school :D

2) I'm kind of all-round - I enjoy solving puzzles, and can't stand having one I can't solve, and enjoy collecting them as well. I don't have the tools or materials to build my own puzzles, but 3D printing is an option for me, so I may shape mod puzzles with that.

3) I think I first got my Rubik's Cube when I was 8-ish. I first solved it when I was 10, solved and collected for about 1/2 years after that, stopped, and have finally come back :)

4) I'm planning on buying a mini 2x2x2 and then printing some extensions to turn it into a 1x2x2.

5) 20 odd puzzles at the moment. I'd say it's worth something in the region of £100-150, but now that I'm collecting again...

6) I'll collect anything I can turn :P I prefer new puzzles, but I still need a good speedcube, so in that case I'll happily have duplicates.

7) My 3x3x3 for obvious reasons :)

8) I haven't got anything that flashy, so simply my V-6 as it's my largest puzzle.

9) a) Mastermorphinx - it isn't challenging, and I really like it generally
b) V-6 - It's big and looks cool :P
c) Mastermorphinx - I find the way it shapeshifts makes it aesthetically pleasing to solve
d) Super Square-1 - Has provided me with my greatest solving challenge yet, particularly as I got it before a Square-1 :P

10) I play the piano, saxophone and ukulele. I programme in JS, and can write HTML. All my life is spent swimming, and doing everything else in my life... I probably forgot something, so I'll add it later :)

11) This kind of gives away exactly where I live, but either way, I was the first to finish solving in the world record for most simultaneously solved Rubik's Cubes in 12 minutes, as in the Rubik's Cube wiki article. That's me as far as I can remember :)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 9:39 am 

Hi this is my first post on the forums. :)

I'm 37, I live in England UK, and my profession is admin at a hospital.

My main interest is solving.

For around 3 years. Although I did have a Rubik's cube back in around '85, but I didn't have it for long and couldn't solve it.

The closest I've got to building my own puzzle is printing out some custom tiles for a master magic, and then re-stringing the master magic with the new tiles inbetween the pieces of plastic.

I've got 26, I've got no idea how much it's worth.

I mainly buy puzzles because they look like they'd be fun to solve, usually I'll just go for something that I really like the look of and which has gotten good reviews. I never buy a puzzle just to have it in the collection.

I always avoid puzzles which just don't appeal to me visually, or which have had bad reviews, for example they may turn badly, they may fall apart, or they may have bad cosmetic defects on them.

My Eastsheen 4x4, since a really close friend of mine bought it me for my birthday.

Probably my Missing link.

It's really hard to pick just one, but maybe the 3x3.

Yes, I'm really into video games, and I like to lift weights.

Lol, can't really think of anything.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 5:51 pm 

I've been on this forum for a couple months now, should have done this ages ago... Oh well :lol:

16, UK London. At Secondary school at the moment, and don't use eBay unless buying

Mainly solving, I've attempted mods but they didn't turn out fantastic. Maybe in the future.

I got my first cube a couple years ago, its been modded into a cuboctahedron now, but that was a Rubik's Brand with computer-tech related stickers (not custom stickers). I first started cubing properly about 9 months ago.

I've made a 3x3x3 cuboctahedron and a 3x3x3 cutter cube

I believe I have around 25; but I have one, possibly two shapeways puzzles coming soon :D

I collect all puzzles but really enjoy the following things in a puzzle: Uniqueness, price and slot filling.

Probably my pyraminx crystal because my best friend got me it for Christmas :D

My V-Cube 7 probably.

a) Zhanchi
b) 4x4x6
c) Zhanchi
d) Pyraminx Crystal

Nope not really. Well I do occasionally play Call Of Duty on PS3.

Well; I've gotten loads of younger students at my school to learn how to solve a 3x3x3. Not from me teaching them, but from seeing me walk around the school cubing, they went home and learnt it off their own back! :D. One of my proudest moments in my life, was when I ate 12 weetabix... Out of a single bowl... In a single sitting... 8-)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 369 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next