Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Fri Apr 18, 2014 6:34 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 492 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 10  Next
 Post subject: Re: How to solve Dayan's Crazy 3x3x3 and Megaminx?
PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 1:59 pm 

Andrea wrote:
...This is the scheme painted on the box. I thought that it is normal that it does differ.
You are right, that many (if not most) cubes differ from the standard. On the other hand, it is nice for solution hints, if you use this standard
Andrea wrote:
Only my Mercury has original scheme. So I must reassemble 7 cubes. I hope thats possible because I glued my centercaps. Are the scheme on the boxex the original schemes ?
It's not a must. It just would be nice, if you make future videos.
Andrea wrote:

Yes. It was an accident. The 2 triangles where solved automatically :(
So I sayd there must be white ;).
Ok here the solution for this:
Thanks! I have started a first reduction solve and I have figured an intuitive way out myself. I'll try your hint, too. I had to stop at the end of corner reduction, because we have a big family event tomorrow and I have to prepare a lot of things :)
I appreciate the original contributions in this thread.
I think, our little Crazy community agrees that these cubes provide the very special fun that you solve something familiar looking - the Rubik's Cube - but you have to develop your own little tricks to solve each individual planet (or you look up some hints in this thread :) )
And when you revisit one planet after a while, it does not look so familiar anymore :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 6:13 pm 

Alright folks, I am very excited to say I discovered a new planet and I would like to call it Frank. Why that name? I'll let you guess. As for the settings, the following sides are bandaged; light blue, orange, purple, green, light yellow and red and the others are unbandaged. Why this configuration? It's like the Neptune 3x3x3. As for complexity, I rate it slightly higher than Uranus, but by no means difficult. Try it out using reduction, it's a fun one to solve.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 9:16 pm 

Andrea wrote:
My video is not a tutorial. It shows only the way. Please don't laugh.
Cheers,
Andrea
All videos have different purposes, I would never laugh. I did consider alternative types of reduction for other planets, but not Earth. It is interesting to see it reduced `that way` seeing as it is mostly a circle cube. Interesting how the whole way through you are percieving it as a 3x3, and the whole way through I am percieving it as a `standard circle cube`. Thanks for sharing.
Cheers,
Burgo.

PB 3x3 55sec Jan 2011 (When I was a kid 1:30 was speedcubing so I'm stoked).
1st 3x3 Earth (nemesis) solve Jan 2011 My You Tube (Now has ALLCrazy 3X3 Planets with Reduction)

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2011 12:47 am 

Hi Friends and FT38,

ft38 wrote:
Neptune - I attempted the same approach as for the 3x3x3, however the challenge here is you do not have 3 sides that are bandaged together as you do for the crazy 3x3x3. The bandaged sides form a ring around the puzzle, so it makes flipping a paired inner and outer edge piece more challenging. Also, because of this characteristic of the puzzle, you cannot use some other methods, such as Burgo's last layer solve in his edges first approach to solving a regular 3x3x3.

Today I solved the Megaminx Neptune. I found it the most like the Saturn 3x3 (I think they have the name wrong). The Neptune probably refers to the 3 unbandaged sides together, but the solving properties are like the 3x3 Saturn. Hence, like FT38 said, you need to find some alternatives in the LL, you also need to get your edges orientated as you build them, because you can't flip them later.

Highlight Spoiler [
This is how it went:
1 Make unbandaged edges
2 CCs in unbandaged corners + unbandaged corners (as for Neptune 3X3)
3 Centre band edges, make edges in place, start at one side and work your way around. The last 3 or 4 are difficult, but I got through them (1st solve).
4 Reduce corners with `say` white and grey stars (to help with the spread). Scrambles but not unorientate edges.
5 Solve Edges and then corners, work your way around (I used the top-sideways exchange of (R'FRF')X3 to place corners.
6 The last 2 or 3 faces I completed to a LL by variations of (R'FRF')X3
7 LL Solved edges with (unbandaged F & bandaged as U, R & L) Sune R U R' U R U3 R' and placed corners with CPS (L^ CPS)= L' U2 R U2' L U2 R' U2' and (R^ CPS)= R U2' L' U2 R' U2' L U2
8 Orientate 2 corners on R & U intersection with: R U' (L^ CPS) U R' - L U' (R^ CPS) U L' - U (R^ CPS) U'
EDIT: Konrad has provided 2 nice sequences that will help in the LL situation here:
1 `2 Edge orientation` Antisune and Antisune mirrored: (R' U2' R U R' U R) (L U2 L' U' L U' L')
1b I have liked it this way: (R U2 R' U' R U' R) U' (L' U2' L U L' U L) U but that is just personal preference. It could also be easily adapted to only 2 adjacent faces.
2 `Pure Edge 3cycle`: R U R' U2' L' U' L U2' R U' R' U2' L' U L U
Thanks Konrad!
]

Remember, this is a first solve and I might be able to make the method smoother, but I just put it up to help people through it if needed.

I think that Mars will be like the 3x3 Venus and I ordered Saturn because I think it will be fun. So far I have Solved Earth (with Reduction & CCL methods), Uranus and Neptune. The cubes are loosening up nicely with use, just like the 3x3 planets did.

Cheers :D ,
Burgo.

Attachments:
Neptune-Megaminx.gif
Neptune-Megaminx.gif [ 106.56 KiB | Viewed 5352 times ]

1st 3x3 Earth (nemesis) solve Jan 2011 My You Tube (Now has ALLCrazy 3X3 Planets with Reduction)

Last edited by Burgo on Wed Jul 20, 2011 5:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 1:45 pm 

Andrea wrote:
...Oh. My video is not a tutorial. ...
It is reasonably close to a tutorial. :) Thanks again.
Today, I have finished my reduction based solve for Earth. I like it.
I have done an edges reduction once and had not thought that it is so smooth to do a corner reduction

@Burgo:
The other thing I have done today: I have looked at your Mercury video.
Very clear and nice - and I like your accent. :)
When I have done the Mercury reduction once, I have done it less structured.
It makes it much easier when you do the outer edges first as in your video.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 4:16 am 

Thanks for your reply.

Your posting about the Super 3x3x3 from Witeden.
Quote:
I think that it is a new challenge and not so easy to solve as the outline:
1:Restore the shape of Cube
2:Restore the middle layer
3:Restore Crazy 2x3x3 Cube

Is the functionality from upper and down circle equal to the crazy 2x3x3 ?

In the Crazy 2x3x3 the bandage depends to corner, so it's not possible to separate the triangle from this corner. ( on my diang sheng this is the white/red/blue corner)
Are the triangle movements independ to the corners ?

This cube is very interesting. My next order will include this cube.

Cheers,
Andrea

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 6:25 am 

Andrea wrote:
Is the functionality from upper and down circle equal to the crazy 2x3x3 ?

In the Crazy 2x3x3 the bandage depends to corner, so it's not possible to separate the triangle from this corner. ( on my diang sheng this is the white/red/blue corner)
Are the triangle movements independ to the corners ?

This cube is very interesting. My next order will include this cube.

Cheers,
Andrea
Let me describe, how the faces on the Witeden Super 3x3x3 behave:
We hold the white and yellow faces - with the circles - as U and D.
You can always turn F, B, R, L whatever broken circle parts show up on the vertical faces.
You can turn U and D only, if the circle is complete. The pieces inside a circle are always staionary (unbandaged).
This means that U and D turns seperate the corners from the triangles always.
Naturally, vertical turns keep corner / triangle realtionship unchanged.

In my view, it is quite different from the Crazy 3x3x3 Series AND from the Crazy 3x3x2.
Go get it (it is not so expensive) :) It is fun!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 12:47 pm 

Aha, you guys are talking about witeden super 3x3x3. I borrowed it from Brandon last weekend and have solved it. Here's my strategy:

0. Let the two faces (white and yellow) with circles be U and D.

1. Put the yellow circle edge pieces to the yellow face, and the white
circle edge pieces to the white face. Algorithms are quite intuitive,
like [R,F,R'].

2. Solve the middle layer (between U and D). If we need to do an even
permutation, then [R2, F2]x2 is sufficient. If we need to do an odd
permutation on the middle layer edges, then swap two indistinguishable
yellow circle edge pieces at the same time to make the whole process
an even permutation. Algorithm: [L',R], F2, [L,R'], F2,

3. Solve the circle corner pieces, ignoring the orientation.
Algorithm: [F,R',F'],L,[F,R,F'],L', or some variations. In the photo,
the URF corner is considered solved, because it has a yellow circle
corner in it and the whole corner is in the yellow layer. It doesn't
matter the yellow circle corner piece is facing front, because I'm
ignoring the orientation in this step.

4. Solve the orientation of the corner pieces, so that the small
circle pieces are on the top or bottom face. Algorithm: [F,R',F',R]x2,
L,[R',F,R,F']x2, L,

5. Solve the rest pieces just like the top and bottom layers of 4x3x3.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 4:50 am 

Burgo wrote:

I have just uploaded a reduction method for Venus, it is an nice extrapolation of the techniques I used for Mercury. I think it is actually smoother on Venus. This one is for you Andrea, because you said `This does rule for Venus too`.

Hi Burgo,

I went back to once again explore Venus and thought I had solved it using reduction, but as I was solving it I couldn't remember if I did. That was many planets and puzzles ago. It also made me realize I should write things down more. As for your method, when I starting watching beyond all the edges and corners being reduced I initially paused the video and said what is he doing? Although in theory I understood your approach, in practice it looked confusing. So, I moved onto something else and then had an aha moment. I didn't even watch the rest of the video I just finished the cube. This is a very clever approach. You tie in approaches from solving other cubes quite nicely. Reducing the Saturn cube to a domino, I never thought of that. Keep up the great work. Once again, thank you for taking the time to produce these videos. I look forward to them.

Now for a treat, here is a link to someone showing his approach to solving the Mercury 3x3x3 using CCL. The video is in Russian and he will show you some of his approach using other cubes. The poor fellow does not have the little pieces of paper over the screws, so his center caps fall off.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2jtTsBwu3WY

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 6:03 am 

Hi Frank,
ft38 wrote:
As for your method, when I starting watching beyond all the edges and corners being reduced I initially paused the video and said what is he doing? Although in theory I understood your approach, in practice it looked confusing.
Yeah, it's actually a funny type of circle cube domino :lol: , only found in weird places like in my head! I was worried that people might find it confusing, I'm glad you made it out of the mud.. Welcome to Crazytown, population 2 (I guess).
Cheers,
Burgo.

Post subject: Re: How to solve Circle Cubes and Megaminx - e.g. Dayan's Cr
PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 2:02 am 

I have changed the title of the thread to include more Circle Cubes like the Witeden Super 3x3x3.
The population of Crazy Village is small enough (though 2 is a bit of a low guess Burgo :lol: ) and we should not create a neighbour village without need :)

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 2:14 am 

Quote:
The population of Crazy Village is small enough (though 2 is a bit of a low guess Burgo :lol: ) and we should not create a neighbour village without need

Konrad, I am definitely living in Crazy Village. I just don't come out much at night. I can solve all the crazy planet cubes (by circle corners last methods, not reduction yet...) and have crazy megaminxes and tetrahedrons and witeden super cubes on the way. I mainly stand from a distance and try to keep up! But I am Crazy! So that's at least 3. :)

[I'm also a little hindered than others because I only know the ultimate solution, and sort of deliberately restrict myself to that. It sometimes makes it harder, but it causes me to be creative.]

When's the t-shirt coming?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 3:46 am 

Konrad wrote:
though 2 is a bit of a low guess Burgo
Sorry, I wasn't meaning to be exclusive, I was directly refering to the `funny type of circle cube domino` at the end of my Venus tutorial.. that Frank figured out: I don't know how many people have understood `that part`of `my tutorial`. It's just a bit visually confusing. I didn't mean `planets in general`. You guys are so sensitive :P .

Cheers,
Burgo.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 5:50 am 

rline wrote:
Konrad, I am definitely living in Crazy Village. I just don't come out much at night. I can solve all the crazy planet cubes (by circle corners last methods, not reduction yet...) ...
You should definitely try reduction! It is really fun! Do not be to proud to look at Burgo's videos. :) He has made a great job and much of it fits nicely with Ultimate Solution. I have seen Saturn and Mercury so far and (I had used reduction for Mercury before, but I had found it visually confusing. Burgo has had this in mind when making the video.

@Burgo: When we launch the foundation of Crazytown officially, you'll become our major, for certain. :lol: :lol: Let' say Crazytown consists of several houses named after planets / methods. The house "Venus / Reduction by Burgo" has two residents then (probably).
You'll have a habitation in most of the houses. In "Earth / Reduction by Andrea", too?

Last edited by Konrad on Thu Jul 21, 2011 7:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 6:59 am 

Burgo wrote:
Welcome to Crazytown, population 2 (I guess).
Cheers,
Burgo.

I like to think of our community as "Hotel Crazytown" where you can check in anytime, but you can never leave. :lol:

As for viewing the work of others and learning some of their techniques, it is perhaps the smartest thing you can do. Just as others learn from you, you could learn from others. I truly believe in the saying "the whole is greater than the sum of its parts". Whenever I get stuck in a rut and that happens more than I like, I try to remember this and reach out for help. I could stare at a piece of code and keep saying, this should work, but it doesn't. Someone else looks at it and within a few minutes notices something staring me right in the face, for that "IF" condition shouldn't that be an "OR" instead of an "AND". Now if you are on the receiving end of it you feel like a fool, if you are on the giving end, a genius.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 4:06 pm 

A simulator for the crazy tetrahedron is coming!

Attachment:
demo.PNG
demo.PNG [ 23.5 KiB | Viewed 5112 times ]

It's designed by Bo Hu, who made this series of simulators: <http://twistypuzzles.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=20285>

It is a fine simulator, but hasn't reached the completion of the others yet. In the current form, there's no "scramble" button, it fails to load in browsers other than IE, and the interface is in Chinese. I need to work on it for a while to fix some bugs and combine it with the earlier simulators. I might be able to finish it in this weekend.

So, if you want to save money, or if you can't wait for delivery, or you want to try many circle bandage patterns, this simulator should be a good choice.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 6:24 pm 

Konrad wrote:
rline wrote:
Konrad, I am definitely living in Crazy Village. I just don't come out much at night. I can solve all the crazy planet cubes (by circle corners last methods, not reduction yet...) ...
You should definitely try reduction! It is really fun! Do not be to proud to look at Burgo's videos. :)

I fear I was misunderstood. I'm not remotely too proud. I think he's done a great job. I did start looking through one of them but found it difficult to follow at one point. Which is why I need to set aside some quantity time to really give it the attention it deserves. I'm sure it is fun, but I'm not quite there yet.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 7:30 pm 

Konrad wrote:
In "Earth / Reduction by Andrea", too?

I go to crazy-village and live there, nice friends there.

@schuma:
thanks for the crazy-simulator. It works fine. Great work.

Cheers,
Andrea

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 10:06 pm 

I've finished modifying the crazy tetrahedra simulator. You can find it in this page: <http://twistypuzzles.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=246031#p246031>,

or with the direct link.

Please let me know if there's any bug.

Let's see who's the first one to solve all the planets!

edit: I've just solved the plain circle tetrahedron and Earth. I heard that Mercury is pretty challenging.

edit again: Now I've solved Mercury, Jupiter, Mars and Neptune.

edit again: Saturn and Venus are solved. Among the eight planets, only Uranus is yet to be solved.

Last edited by schuma on Sat Jul 23, 2011 11:21 pm, edited 5 times in total.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 4:47 am 

rline wrote:
Which is why I need to set aside some quantity time to really give it the attention it deserves. I'm sure it is fun, but I'm not quite there yet.

I suggest you start with Burgo's edges first approach to solving the 3x3x3. He refers to it quite a bit in his crazy series tutorials. Also, it's a different and fun way to solve the 3x3x3.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 6:40 pm 

ft38 wrote:
rline wrote:
Which is why I need to set aside some quantity time to really give it the attention it deserves. I'm sure it is fun, but I'm not quite there yet.

I suggest you start with Burgo's edges first approach to solving the 3x3x3. He refers to it quite a bit in his crazy series tutorials. Also, it's a different and fun way to solve the 3x3x3.

Isn't his edges-first method basically ultimate solution?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 6:51 pm 

rline wrote:

I'm not entirely sure, but if it is he does a much better job demonstrating it. I have checked out some of the other ones posted on the web and found them a bit too confusing.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 7:16 pm 

From the horses mouth: It's a hybrid of Ultimate Solution. CPS is entirely replaced with repetitions of EPS (the corner sequences are replaced). And a non-traditional approach for the last 5 edges. Frank makes a good point, the reason it would be a good starting point is that it explains the functions of a lot of sequences used the planet videos. It is there to bridge the gap and hopefully make the videos more accessible. The pure method shows how to use it all more efficiently.
Cheers,
Burgo

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2011 3:09 am 

Witeden Super 3x3
I had time to sit down with my Witeden Super3x3. My opinion is that I think that it is easily underestimated. It is a nice fresh challenge. The cube itself is quite clunky and catchy, which can be awkward. But for the price at the moment, and the nice solve, it is worth persevering.

My Method:
Highlight[
1 First I reduced the inside and outside edges
2 Then I reduced the corners
3 Which when finished left one side of edges `on the correct face` (but not solved), so.. Place the other reduced edges on their centre (but not solved).
4 Place yellow and white `reduced` corners on their faces
5 Orientate reduced corners (but not solve).
6 Solve corners (domino)
7 Solve reduced edges (domino)
8 Solve equatorial layer edges (with a setup move and pure 3 cycle)

It is not possible to unorientate the edges.. so in a way the cube's difficulties are what breaks its back also. I used all dirivatives of Sune for pretty-much everything:

Algos used:
(FR’F’R)X1, 2 or 3
Pure edge 3cycle (Sune U Sune-Mirror U') or (RU’ RU RU RU’ R’U’ R2)
2 corner orientation (Sune Sune-Mirror)
Corner X swap (Sune- then re-place reduced edges with Pure edge 3cycle)
Corner C rotation (U' Sune U2- then re-place reduced edges with Pure edge 3cycle)
2 corner swap with the CPS derivitave: (R U' L' U R' U' L U2)- then repairing the 2 front & back `reduced edges` with 2 applications of the pure edge cycle.
Domino algos: (R2 U R2 U' R2) U'D (R2 U' R2 U R2) and (R2 U)X2 (R2 U2)X2 R2 U R2 U' R2
Setup for end 3cycle example: U’ R2 U (RU’ RU RU RU’ R’U’ R2) U’ R2 U (circle at front).
For Sune I used: (R U R' U R U2 R')
For Sune-Mirror: (L' U' L U' L' U2' L)
]

EDIT: I now have a video tutorial: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4idvHOSIEks

Cheers,
Burgo.

Last edited by Burgo on Sun Aug 21, 2011 7:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2011 9:56 am 

ft38 wrote:
rline wrote:

I'm not entirely sure, but if it is he does a much better job demonstrating it. I have checked out some of the other ones posted on the web and found them a bit too confusing.

Hi rline,

I checked out your site:

http://rubiksultimatesolution.blogspot.com

Bravo! You have done a very nice job of explaining and demonstrating the ultimate solution. I have bookmarked this page and will be returning to it because you have many interesting tutorials on there. Even though I know how to solve most of the puzzles you have listed, I'm always looking for different ways to solve the same puzzle. Thank you for providing such a wonderful resource.

To the other "Crazy" friends, he does have a series of videos on the Crazy Earth 3x3x3. In the first video, he explains how to swap out the centers. I also liked the way he packed the center caps with paper so they won't pop off. I have 4 cubes and for the latest one I purchased, Neptune, the little piece of paper over the screw does not hold the cap in place, so I'll try his approach. Also he has a tutorial on the Crazy 4x4x4 II which I don't have yet, but it is on my purchase list.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 2:17 am 

ft38 wrote:
.... I also liked the way he packed the center caps with paper so they won't pop off. I have 4 cubes and for the latest one I purchased, Neptune, the little piece of paper over the screw does not hold the cap in place, so I'll try his approach. ....
I had good success using Blue Tack (originally I had bought it for my Mosaic Cube, but I had to use superglue for that one)

I have a question for the Crazy community:
What is your opinion, should we adopt the Crazy Tetrahedron in this thread?
It is not a cube exactly, but it is logically similar to a Skewb with centre orientation (which is represented by the Skewb Ultimate dodecahedron).
The solution strategy will be quite different, while we have covered here so far the puzzles with a close relationship to the normal 3x3x3.

So far, I have purchased the three Crazy Tetrahedron Regular, Jupiter and Mercury.
I have solved the Regular using my Skewb Ultimate method. It has been a bit confusing first, until I could adapt my view to the differently looking piece types. (Especially, because I had not solved a Skewb Ultimate for a long time.)
Now, I'm trying a reduction method for Jupiter. I have managed to pair all pieces to a Jing's Pyraminx. Now I'm looking for algorithms without turning the unbandaged (white) face.
The usual Jing's Pyraminx or Ultimate Skewb methods will not work.

In any case, the methods for the Crazy Tetrahedron will be different from what has been discussed here, so far.
On the other hand, the Crazy community is small and probably the same people will take on the challenge of the Crazy Tetrahedron (either the virtual - look for schuma's post about the simulator - or the physical.)

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 3:26 am 

ft38 wrote:
Hi rline,

I checked out your site:

http://rubiksultimatesolution.blogspot.com

Bravo! You have done a very nice job of explaining and demonstrating the ultimate solution. I have bookmarked this page and will be returning to it because you have many interesting tutorials on there. Even though I know how to solve most of the puzzles you have listed, I'm always looking for different ways to solve the same puzzle. Thank you for providing such a wonderful resource.

Frank,

Thanks for your kind words about the site. I'm really pleased you found it useful. I actually have solution methods for all 8 of the crazy planets, as well as the crazy 3x3x2, skewb ultimate, crazy tetrahedron, teraminx and a few others. It's just a matter of finding the time to make the video tutorials (as you'd know it takes quite a while...) I will get to it eventually I think.

ft38 wrote:
To the other "Crazy" friends, he does have a series of videos on the Crazy Earth 3x3x3. In the first video, he explains how to swap out the centers. I also liked the way he packed the center caps with paper so they won't pop off.

Actually, as Konrad noted, that stuff is actually blutak. It's brilliant. It's probably sold in other countries under a different name. I found the paper that came with the cubes to be hopeless. I can only echo Burgo's previous comments that after a while, the coloured plastic becomes really nice and shiny and with enough turning, the crazy planet cubes turn beautifully.

ft38 wrote:
I have 4 cubes and for the latest one I purchased, Neptune, the little piece of paper over the screw does not hold the cap in place, so I'll try his approach. Also he has a tutorial on the Crazy 4x4x4 II which I don't have yet, but it is on my purchase list.

Please give any feedback on things like this, as it'll help me make better tutorials. I really like this method of solving the crazy 4x4x4 II, as it's simple. As long as people don't expect a speed-solution, they won't be disappointed with the ultimate solution method.

Konrad wrote:
What is your opinion, should we adopt the Crazy Tetrahedron in this thread?

Konrad, no doubt others will hold different opinions, but I think we should have separate threads for the crazy tetrahedrons, and for the crazy planet cubes/megaminxes, and for the other crazy/super puzzles.

Konrad wrote:
I have solved the Regular using my Skewb Ultimate method. It has been a bit confusing first, until I could adapt my view to the differently looking piece types. (Especially, because I had not solved a Skewb Ultimate for a long time.)

Me too! I couldn't get my head around the skewb ultimate at all. It was one of those "I'll never understand this" puzzles to me. then I solved the crazy tetrahedron standard. and then robertpauljr suggested to me that he thought the pieces on the skewb ultimate were analogous to the pieces on the CTS. Well, when I first solved the skewb ultimate using the same method, I was ecstatic. I mean, for a puzzle to go from "this is impossible" to "this is fun" is quite something for me!

Konrad wrote:
On the other hand, the Crazy community is small and probably the same people will take on the challenge of the Crazy Tetrahedron

Yes, I don't think there are too many of us. I have ordered some of the other CTs. My two complaints about the puzzle are 1) it's too big, and 2) it was initially far too difficult to turn. Some lube fixed that, though.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 5:38 am 

Hi Friends,
rline wrote:
I think we should have separate threads for the crazy tetrahedrons, and for the crazy planet cubes/megaminxes, and for the other crazy/super puzzles.
Actually, we tried this with the Crazy Megaminx thread and it ended up that it went a bit cold and people ended up not getting their questions answered over there. That's why Konrad merged the threads.

I think that this thread has probably gone past the stage where people will backread it. When I first joined it it was possible, and I did, but it is probably more like a moving conversation now, like a small Gelatinbrain. It has tried to die a few times, but it keeps getting revived. It's even gone through a few name changes. I'd say just call it `The Crazy Planet Cube Thread` and allow for flexability. At least posts will not get isolated and forgotten. Konrad is right, I think the same people will be doing the Tetrahedrons.

Just my 2 cents,
Burgo.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 7:19 pm 

Hello "Crazy" friends,

yesterday I solved my Crazy Megaminx Saturn with reduction method.
My hands hurt, because the Megaminx turns very hard.
Good training to build muscles.

Reduction method:

Steps:
1) Solve the grey isolated bandaged face.
2) Build 1 layer
3) Fill in the circle segments
Step 2 and 3 are similar to Crazy Cube Neptune with reduction method.

4) Build next 2 layers with edges and circle-edges.

5) Build the last layer edges and inner edges.
This is the hardest part. The solution for this step is similar to Crazy Cube Saturn last Layer.

6) Corner triangle pairing. This ist trickier and more difficult than Crazy Cube Saturn.

7) Build the layers with the blocks. This is blockbuilding like Petrus method.

Change the last face, so that white is not the last face.

8) The last 2 faces. Be sure that the white face is solved.
9) Check flipped edges.
10) Edge flipping like Lars Petrus Method. Transfer the 2 edges that must flipped around the 4 bandaged faces and rebuild the faces.

11) With all correct flipped edges build the blocks and solve 1 face.

12) Now, one face is unsolved and all edges are not flipped.

Make 3 Cycle with sune-like sequences to solve edges.
There are 2 adjacent bandaged faces, so you can make a 3 cycle of corners with easy sequence.

Bring a Corner in a adjacent bandaged face and make easy orientation moves. Repeat it with all corners that must be oriented.

Now the Crazy Megaminx Saturn is solved.

My Time for the solving was not good, ~ 4 h.

Cheers,
Andrea

Ps:
Crazy Megaminx Saturn ist a very hard and crazy puzzle and makes fun.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 6:11 pm 

Phew, I've just solved all the planets of crazy tetrahedra, and an unnamed variation (type-0012). The last one I solved is Uranus. I think that's the hardest. It's quite different from all the other crazy puzzles, because There is only one face that's guaranteed to be movable. All the other faces may lock up.

My ranking from easiest to the hardest:

Earth - Saturn - Venus - Mercury - Jupiter - Mars - Neptune - 0012 - Uranus

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 5:02 am 

I solved the Saturn Megaminx last night, it was my last one left to solve, so I am happy.

My Saturn Method:

1. The circle cube section is easy enough, you can turn pieces in from anywhere (reduction).
2. Reduce remaining edges using the white face.
3. Reduce corners, for the most part I switch them with EPS (UR'U'R with white as F), but you can cycle the last corners easily enough using (R U2’ L’ U2) (R’ U2’ L U2) with white as F.
4. Build bandaged faces `one face at a time` in a ring around the white. (R'FRF')X3 to place corners. Any edges that need orientating I just sent for a `trip around the world`
5. LL (F= unbandaged `white` & U, R & L= bandaged): Solve edges with Sune R U R' U R U3 R' and place corners with L' U2 R U2' L U2 R' U2' and R U2' L' U2 R' U2' L U2 and orientate 2 corners on R & U intersection with: (R U2 R' U' R U' R) U' (L' U2' L U L' U L) U

I think the Megaminx difficulties are:
Easy: Jupiter, Mercury / Medium: Uranus, Venus / Difficult: Saturn, Earth / Hard: Mars, Neptune

NB: Because edges can be orientated on Saturn, it is not as difficult as Neptune, which is the `3x3 Saturn` of the Crazy Megaminx series: to answer Konrad's earlier question `Is Saturn the hardest planet in both `3x3 and Megaminx` :wink: .

Cheers,
Burgo.
PS Congratulations Andrea, and don’t worry, they break in nice and turn well after a while (and a bit of lube). And thanks for the ranking Schuma, I was starting with Jupiter, but I might try Earth first? But then, I pretty much have a method for Jupiter down. Been spending all my time on the Minx lately, I really like them!

Attachments:
Saturn-Megaminx.gif
Saturn-Megaminx.gif [ 345.14 KiB | Viewed 4752 times ]

Last edited by Burgo on Sat Jul 30, 2011 7:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 5:32 am 

Congratulation Burgo and schuma,

@Burgo:
I saw your pictures and read your text. So, I think you solved the crazy megamix as I did.
The different states of solution from my solving looks like your pictures.

Burgo wrote:
3. Reduce corners, for the most part I switch them with EPS, but you can cycle the last corners easily enough using (R U2’ L’ U2) (R’ U2’ L U2) with white as F.

What is EPS ?

Quote:
... and turn well after a while (and a bit of lube)

I lubed the megaminx with silicone-spray. But it helps not much.

Cheers,
Andrea

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 6:06 am 

Andrea wrote:
...I lubed the megaminx with silicone-spray. But it helps not much.

Cheers,
Andrea
I have tried different brands of silicone spray. I had best results with "Teslanol" which aI have bought at ebay.de. Some others have not been so good.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 6:14 am 

Andrea wrote:
Burgo wrote:
3. Reduce corners, for the most part I switch them with EPS, but you can cycle the last corners easily enough using (R U2’ L’ U2) (R’ U2’ L U2) with white as F.

What is EPS ?

EPS stands for Edge Piece Series, which is what Philip Marshall called the standard edge piece 3-cycle in his Ultimate Solution method. For instance: U' R U R'

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 12:10 pm 

Konrad wrote:
Andrea wrote:
...I lubed the megaminx with silicone-spray. But it helps not much.

Cheers,
Andrea
I have tried different brands of silicone spray. I had best results with "Teslanol" which aI have bought at ebay.de. Some others have not been so good.

Just yesterday I received a high viscosity silicone lubricant called Lubix Cube, which is used by many speedcubers. For each of the 12 faces, I removed the center and applied a drop behind one of the center edges and another drop inside the puzzle. I scrambled up the Mercury configuration and have been extremely pleased with the results. I am still working through a solve to spread the lube around evenly. As I mentioned in a previous post, I had given up on solving Mercury another time due to the effort involved in turning the puzzle. Now it's a pleasure to work with this puzzle.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 2:17 am 

Hi Frank,

I use Lubix too, and it's not an ad for it, but I found it goes a long way, just don't over use it, just a bit here and there. The main thing with the Minx, as with the Crazy 3x3s, is: `wearing the puzzle in`. Honestly, after a few solves you might not notice much, but after 5-10 solves (and I know because I have been changing between 2 puzzles to make them all) they turn `MUCH` better.

Cheers,
Burgo.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 7:04 am 

Hi ft38,
I bought Nirgin silicone spray, speedcubers silicone spray from hungary and a small Lubix lube tube.
I tried now Lubix to the Crazy Megaminx Saturn. It helps a little.

Cheers, Andrea

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 9:04 am 

Burgo wrote:
Hi Frank,

I use Lubix too, and it's not an ad for it, but I found it goes a long way, just don't over use it, just a bit here and there. The main thing with the Minx, as with the Crazy 3x3s, is: `wearing the puzzle in`. Honestly, after a few solves you might not notice much, but after 5-10 solves (and I know because I have been changing between 2 puzzles to make them all) they turn `MUCH` better.

Cheers,
Burgo.

Hi Burgo,

Prior to applying Lubix, I spent a lot of time with these puzzles. Although they did get better as you scrambled and solved them, I found the Lubix made a huge improvement. I've had experience with using too much lube. I did this with silicone spray on my C4U Teraminx and pieces did stick together. Fortunately, I had a problem with the core prior to lubing so I ended up taking it apart and had to force a couple of pieces apart. Putting the puzzle back together was more fun than solving it when assembled. I have ordered 2 more megaminx to take them apart and study them to find better lubrication points. Once apart, I may even spray all of the pieces with a silicone spray. I have had experience at modding some puzzles to make them turn much better, including the C4U gigaminx. Aside from lubrication, I sanded some of the parts and it turns much better now. I don't think I will be sanding any of the megaminx pieces.

As I progress, I will share my experiences.

Frank

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 9:13 am 

Andrea wrote:
Hi ft38,
I bought Nirgin silicone spray, speedcubers silicone spray from hungary and a small Lubix lube tube.
I tried now Lubix to the Crazy Megaminx Saturn. It helps a little.

Cheers, Andrea

Hi Andrea,

Once you have applied the Lubix give it some time. Do a few solves and it should get better. Have you loosened the tension on the puzzle? Be careful because loosening it too much will cause alignment issues with the small pieces on non bandaged faces. As I mentioned in my response to Burgo, I may discover better lubrication points.

As I discovered with the 3x3x3 series, some turn great right out of the box, some need breaking in and others tension adjustment and/or lube.

Frank

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 4:11 am 

Hi Friends,

Just a quick note to say that I put a Saturn Megaminx tutorial on my channel this morning.

Cheers,
Burgo.

PS I really like your new avitar Andrea!!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 10:22 pm 

Burgo wrote:

Just a quick note to say that I put a Saturn Megaminx tutorial on my channel this morning.

Hi Burgo,

Now that my work schedule has lightened a bit, I have been working through the planets and have Neptune and Mars remaining. The past few days I finished Venus, Earth and Saturn. Last time I attempted to solve Saturn, I came to within a few faces of finishing it. Your video, the third part specifically, gave me a few needed tips. Thanks! The Saturn puzzle is quite fun.

I just setup the Mars configuration and off I go. I don't know about you, but I do enjoy reconfiguring these puzzles.

Frank

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 3:42 am 

Hi Burgo,
I saw your video. Great work. I think it's understandable for everyone.
Nice idea to orient corners with 2 symmetrically sunes. I do the same with (R F' R' F) x2 in an other layer.
But your method is adaptable for megaminxes where 2 isolated faces are bandaged.

Cheers , Andrea

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 5:38 am 

Hi Andrea,

I had thought of a method for solving only 2 adjacent faces using Sune (it requires orientated edges):

Place edges: Sune R U R' U R U3 R'
Place Corners (3cycle): Sune (R U R' U R U3 R') y2 Antisune Mirror (L' U2' L U L' U L) U y2'
Orientate Corners (pure 2 corners): (R U2 R' U' R U' R') y2 U2 (L' U2' L U L' U L) U2'

Cheers,
Burgo.
PS Thanks for the feedback.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2011 10:29 pm 

Even though I fear this thread may be struggling to breathe and about to die (I hope not, but who knows), I thought I'd let people know that I've completed my video tutorials for all 8 of the crazy planet cubes and have posted them on my site (http://rubiksultimatesolution.blogspot.com). They're all circle corners last method.

I also made a general post here: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=21261&p=263763#p263763 but wanted to let my crazy friends know as well.

(Making video tutes takes a long time!)

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2011 5:12 am 

rline wrote:
Even though I fear this thread may be struggling to breathe and about to die (I hope not, but who knows), I thought I'd let people know that I've completed my video tutorials for all 8 of the crazy planet cubes and have posted them on my site (http://rubiksultimatesolution.blogspot.com). They're all circle corners last method.
(Making video tutes takes a long time!)

Hello rline,

I am still having fun with these puzzles and a week or so ago I finally had some time to finish the crazy megaminx planets. Although I prefer the reduction method, I may make another trip through the planets using the circle corners last method and I'm sure to use your tutorials. Thanks for taking the time to make them.

I believe these puzzles have been lost in the sea of puzzles out there and that's why there may not be much interest in them. I can certainly understand this because I have my own little sea of new puzzles awaiting my attention. If I only didn't have to work & sleep!

Thanks!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2011 5:45 am 

Hi ft38

You're exactly right about them being lost. I recently bought 15 new puzzles in one hit and that brought my total of "unattempted" puzzles to about 23. I decided I wanted to video-ise every puzzle I had, and so had to put away all these other puzzles. But now that I've started working through them, I'll eventually get back to them. It was interesting going back to some of the planets. Some, which I didn't initially play with all that much, I couldn't remember everything about them. So the videos are largely for my own benefit, proof that at some point in my life I could solve them.

If you do take a look through them, please let me know your thoughts, good or bad.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 7:30 am 

rline wrote:
Even though I fear this thread may be struggling to breathe and about to die (I hope not, but who knows), ...
I think, this thread seemed to be dead several times, but the interest in these puzzles and this thread is rather fluctuating. I have got a few days ago an Uranus Megaminx (Uranus, because it is complementing my earlier Earth and I have now six 1 and six 0 centres. I can build now all 8 planets.)
I have solved the Uranus via reduction. It is certainly not very hard, still a mistake is made quickly and concentration and stamina is needed.

The Crazy Megaminx are quite expensive and, therefore, I'm hesitant to buy more of them.
On the other hand, reconfiguring them very often may be a tedious task. Therefore, I might treat myself to a Saturn.

I'll certainly return from time to time to the Crazy puzzles.

What about the Crazy Tetrahedron?
I have got Regular, Mercury and Jupiter. The Regular is not a really new challenge, but somebody told my that he has found it utterly confusing. For Jupiter and Mercury I have used the reduction method.

Last edited by Konrad on Tue Aug 16, 2011 12:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 7:48 am 

The regular Crazy Tetrahedron can be really easy or really confusing, depending on your regular Skewb Ultimate method. For me, it would have been utterly confusing, had it not been for an algorithm that I accidently discovered and seemingly worked.

Buy the Curvy Copter Skewb, NovaMinx, and more here!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 9:20 am 

Hi,
Konrad wrote:
I think, this thread seemed to be dead several times, ...

I am waiting for the Crazy Megaminx Earth and Uranus and for the Witeden Super 3x3x3.
3 Crazy Megaminx are enough.

I hope that the Super 3x3x3 is more interesting than the super 3x3x4.

Cheers ,
Andrea

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 10:41 am 

Hi Konrad,

I am still very much interested in these puzzles, I now have 4 megaminx: Mercury, Jupiter, Uranus and Earth. I wanted 2 sets of complementary puzzles, so I could have more than 2 configurations on the go. I have now solved all 8, plus another one I created which I mentioned in an earlier post. Lubricating the puzzles with Lubix made a huge difference.

I do have 2 crazy tetrahedron puzzles coming, Jupiter and Mercury. Aside from the crazy series of puzzles I have gone back and started working through my pile of new puzzles.

So many puzzles and so little time!

Frank

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 492 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 10  Next