Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Wed Jul 23, 2014 1:03 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Re: Dayan and MF8 Crazy Tetrahedron
PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 11:35 am 

Burgo wrote:
I can't wait to get these, I LOVE them, thanks Dayan & MF8.
Thanks for the coloured plastic too :D (no offense).

Anyone not yet liking the Crazy Planets should get one and visit my You Tube, for sure, I have done my best :wink: .
I have a feeling you will all come around.. eventually.
Cheers,
Burgo.
Thanks Burgo for expressing my feelings :) And congratulations to you for all your achievements regarding the Crazy 3x3x3 planets. :o

Regarding the coloured plastic, I want to share my experience with the eight Crazy 3x3x3.
There are two different things to consider
- aesthetics
- durabiliy of the tiny stickers

I have two black with stickers and six in coloured plastic. I like the blacks regarding aesthetics (at least after arrival), I prefer coloured plastic, because I want to play with my puzzles and not admire them on a shelf, only.
The tiny stickers of the "circle corners" are a real problem. I have even lost a few stickers and they do not look so nice after a while.
You should not whinge so much about the coloured plastic, before you have compared the different versions.
If you are a player and not a collector only, you would understand what I mean very soon.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 12:49 pm 

wwwmwww wrote:
Aleh, what is your stance on MF8 offering the circle 3x3x3? If its been stated elsewhere already can you please point me to it? I believe its MF8's recognition of you as the maker of the first circle 3x3x3 which is keeping them from offering this puzzle. Your's was built on a V-Cube 5x5x5 so the mech is different and I see no public objection so I believe MF8 is going above and beyond trying to respect the designer here. I'd be very interested in hearing your comments.
If MF8 will sell regular 3x3x3 Crazy cube that absolutely no problem from my side. But nobody asked me about that before.

Regarding the Circle Megaminx I believe the first one was made by lukeharry and presented here. Though that wasn't a true circle Megaminx as "the centers turn independently" so the circle were more like a babyface Megaminx. The first true circle Megaminx was designed and offered by Puzzlemaster42 and presented here. It's also for sale here for a total cost of $996.80. I couldn't find a video or any pictures of a printed puzzle so its unclear to me is this puzzle has actually been made.

It is here:

viewtopic.php?f=15&t=16240&hilit=circleminx

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 5:07 pm 

I just ordered the "0" one :P .

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 9:35 am 

My favourite puzzle at the moment is the crazy 3x3x3 Mercury, so I am ordering a Jupiter so I can try all of the permutations out (Sorry - it's too expensive to buy them all!). I will also do this with these as well as they look like they will be so much fun to solve as well.
I like the fact that the constraint(s) make for asymetry in the puzzle and that one error explodes the solve!
I fall into the coloured plastic camp, as I solve it so often the stickers falling off would irritate me. I have a Stickerless GuHong (as I will never be a speedsolver) for the same reason. Never tried a circle cube so don't know what I am missing yet.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 1:17 pm 

Location: USA, North America, Planet Earth, Solar system, Milky Way galaxy, Universe
Available on Mefferts, along with the other 8.
I just purchased one, can't wait for it to get here!

Has anyone tried sticking these full colored puzzles with all black stickers? I think I will order a set of custom SmaZ-Dino-cylinder style stickers for mine (this puzzle is quite large- 10cm to an edge so I don't think sticker adhesion should be a problem)

NEW VIDEOS-
3x3x3 stop-motion solve
Meffert's new Pyraminx Crystal solve
QJ 4x4x4 solve

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 1:27 pm 

Hmm, it say that it have nine verison? Yeah the limited edition one on hknowstore, but i thinked that they were only 100 of them? Except if mf8 thiked of mass producing them to (like doing more then 100)?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 1:59 pm 

The regular one (all circles fixed), does it add an extra challenge compared to jings pyraminx? or do the circles automatically solve together with the edges and corners?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 5:53 pm 

No the circle should not solve with the sides, except if your very lucky, it could haooen, but not often. Look at the circle like if it was an extended part.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 5:56 pm 

Oh noooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm still working on the crazy megaminx series. In trying to figure out some of the more complex ones, I went back to the crazy 3x3x3 cubes and now can't put them down either. I suspect a complete mental breakdown if I get involved in this series. What next, the crazy gigaminx series???????

All kidding aside, I join Burgo, Konrad and others in this forum who strongly recommend the first 2 series of crazy planetary puzzles and am sure this one will be just as fun.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 6:33 pm 

If it follows the pattern of the Circle Cube and Circle Minx, the Circle Tetrahedron would be equivalent to a tetrahedon where the centers also need to be oriented - which would make it identical in solving to a Skewb Ultimate, although a bit more confusing-looking.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 2:30 pm 

Jared wrote:
If it follows the pattern of the Circle Cube and Circle Minx, the Circle Tetrahedron would be equivalent to a tetrahedon where the centers also need to be oriented - which would make it identical in solving to a Skewb Ultimate, although a bit more confusing-looking.

Be kindly noted that the Crazy Tetrahedron is having 6-axis rubik's core. ^^

- from Hong Kong

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2011 9:05 am 

I'm back in town and I'm beat... anyways...
Aleh wrote:
If MF8 will sell regular 3x3x3 Crazy cube that absolutely no problem from my side. But nobody asked me about that before.

I can't say I'm certain that is why the regular 3x3x3 circle (or crazy) 3x3x3 hasn't been made yet but I based my beliefs off of Daqing Bao's first post here. Google translate tells me it says:
Google Translate of Daqing Bao's post of Fri Mar 05, 2010 1:03 am wrote:
Brief: Three years ago produced "Crazy 3x3" idea, then see this forum has been out of the system, so try to design recovery more difficult Crazy 3x3 plus cube, three months before the opening of the mold , because it takes time to wait for patent applications, so this was announced today cube.

I'm taking this to mean Daqing Bao came up with the idea of the Circle (what he calls Crazy) 3x3x3 back in 2007 before yours was presented on Nov. 17, 2008. When he went to produce it he then saw someone on this forum (He's talking about you Aleh) had beaten him to the punch. So his recovery plan was to patent the Crazy Plus 3x3x3's and skip the normal Circle 3x3x3.

There is also this later post in the same thread.
daniel0731ex wrote:
he said that he designed the crazy 3x3 plus because someone else have already made one on this forum. he wants all of his creations to be unique.

I'm guessing daniel0731ex is able to read the Chinese and pull out a bit more info then Google translate can. And again I'm reading this as a way of him saying that he views the normal Circle 3x3x3 as your intellectual property and not his.

But now that your blessing is out there (or did this puzzle get released first... not sure) it looks like we now have a mass produced normal circle cube.
http://www.hknowstore.com/locale/zh-CHT/ItemTable.aspx?netcatname=Hand%20Mod&corpname=nowstore
But why is it red? I guess those that wanted a solid color and stickers got their wish.
Aleh wrote:

Thanks for pointing that out.

Carl

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2011 1:32 pm 

Jared wrote:

From a solving stand point it is equivalent to solving a Skewb Ultimate but it has one piece type that the Skewb Ultimate doesn't have.

Typically I think of all circle puzzles as if the circle is a window through the puzzle down to the layer it turns with. Something like this:

Now its trivial to see what the circle pieces are... however notice that the central triangle isn't present in this window. That's because it is one of the 2 possible virtual cores of this puzzle. Just like the circle 3x3x3 makes the real core of the 3x3x3 visible on the outside. See my post here about the virtual Skewb.

http://twistypuzzles.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=231639#p231639

So this is what the normal crazy tetrahedron breaks down to.

Each Corner is 1 piece.
Each Edge is 3 disconnected pieces, 2 of which are the same shape.
Each Face Center is 3 disconnected pieces, all 3 are the same shape.
The Virtual Core is 4 disconnected surface areas all the same shape.

Which one of the two cores is it? That depends... if you consider this a face turn puzzle then its what GuiltyBystander calls Core=0 in the other thread. If you cinsider this a corner turn puzzle then its what GuiltyBystander calls Core=4 in the other thread.

Now having said that I now have an idea for a new puzzle. Don't know how to build it yet but give me some time.

Carl

Last edited by wwwmwww on Sun Jul 03, 2011 8:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2011 2:28 pm 

so, wait, I've only seen the crazy tetrahedron in multicolored plastic on websites.
Is there a normal black or white plastic version like in the picture above for sale somewhere?
If so, can someone post a link?

"You are actually more off topic than me, you mentioned something on topic in the Off Topic forum."

"You more so for discussing the on-topic "off-topic" topic in the off-topic forum."

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2011 2:07 am 

Thanks Carl.
I have nothing to add.

EDIT:
I DO have something to add.
Carl: The faces you speak about are solving wise identical to the corners although they are mechanically separated. You know the Skewb has 8 corners. The separated faces here are the 4 corners which seem to be missing.

Last edited by Andreas Nortmann on Sun Jul 03, 2011 11:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2011 2:29 am 

:shock:
ooh... I just thought of something... what if someone were to make full black hollow stickers for these, so it would look very similar to a normal black plastic crazy tetrahedron, but the colors would be the plastic and the black would be stickers, instead of the other way around, haha :mrgreen:

"You are actually more off topic than me, you mentioned something on topic in the Off Topic forum."

"You more so for discussing the on-topic "off-topic" topic in the off-topic forum."

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2011 11:45 am 

Location: USA, North America, Planet Earth, Solar system, Milky Way galaxy, Universe
elijah wrote:
:shock:
ooh... I just thought of something... what if someone were to make full black hollow stickers for these, so it would look very similar to a normal black plastic crazy tetrahedron, but the colors would be the plastic and the black would be stickers, instead of the other way around, haha :mrgreen:

Monopoly wrote:
Has anyone tried sticking these full colored puzzles with all black stickers? I think I will order a set of custom SmaZ-Dino-cylinder style stickers for mine

also see here :D (note the mockup of the Dayan Gem, and the actual GuHong)

NEW VIDEOS-
3x3x3 stop-motion solve
QJ 4x4x4 solve

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 11:05 am 

wwwmwww wrote:
it looks like we now have a mass produced normal circle cube.
http://www.hknowstore.com/locale/zh-CHT/ItemTable.aspx?netcatname=Hand%20Mod&corpname=nowstore
But why is it red? I guess those that wanted a solid color and stickers got their wish.

These solid colors have been available (red, yellow, orange) on the mf8 site for a while as part of the crazy series - this looks like they have switched some centres to give us a normal circle cube.

I presume it's in red because this is the color they have the most of left not because people were requesting a solid color one - after all everyone here wanted it in black not red.

Hopefully when they sell out of these they can make another limited run in black, as they seem to be able to make limited runs of their other puzzles in blue, green, ice, yellow, white, transparent.......

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 12:16 pm 

I don't see how making solid black or whites would be that hard, you could simply make it a kit so people sticker it themselves

I'm a youtuber =D

hey look ^

Rest In Peace Frank

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2011 1:51 am 

Below, share with you all several photos.
Attachment:
tetrahedron_disassemble.jpg
tetrahedron_disassemble.jpg [ 70.64 KiB | Viewed 7805 times ]

Attachment:
tetrahedron_disassemble2.jpg
tetrahedron_disassemble2.jpg [ 39.83 KiB | Viewed 7805 times ]

Attachment:
tetrahedron_disassemble3.jpg
tetrahedron_disassemble3.jpg [ 49.13 KiB | Viewed 7805 times ]

Attachment:
tetrahedron_disassemble4.jpg
tetrahedron_disassemble4.jpg [ 48.25 KiB | Viewed 7805 times ]

Attachment:
tetrahedron_disassemble5.jpg
tetrahedron_disassemble5.jpg [ 65.68 KiB | Viewed 7805 times ]

- from Hong Kong

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2011 2:14 am 

My mind is not comprehending how 4 goes into 6? Even with the pictures. :scrambled:
Is it `12 holes` created and then using 1/3 of them for the centres?
Cheers,
Burgo
EDIT: Oh, it's `8 holes`, the 8 corners of the 3x3x3 cube, then using 1/2 of them, cool :solved: .

PB 3x3 55sec Jan 2011 (When I was a kid 1:30 was speedcubing so I'm stoked).
1st 3x3 Earth (nemesis) solve Jan 2011 My You Tube (Now has ALLCrazy 3X3 Planets with Reduction)

Last edited by Burgo on Sun Jul 10, 2011 3:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2011 2:47 am 

I get it! The six armed core creates eight holes for corners, and four of those corners have a center piece placed within them. Therefore, they could possibly use all eight holes and create a Face Turning Octahedron.

Buy the Curvy Copter Skewb, NovaMinx, and more here!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2011 2:50 am 

Luke wrote:
I get it! The six armed core creates eight holes for corners, and four of those corners have a center piece placed within them. Therefore, they could possibly use all eight holes and create a Face Turning Octahedron.
Yes, this is a very cost-effective way of making new cores, but your last remark about the FTO is incorrect. An FTO would not necessarily use all 8 holes, it is more common to use just 4.

Buy my mass produced puzzles at Mefferts:
- 4x4x6 Cuboid for just $38
- Curvy Copter for just $18
- 3x4x5 Cuboid for just $34

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2011 2:54 am 

TomZ wrote:
Yes, this is a very cost-effective way of making new cores, but your last remark about the FTO is incorrect. An FTO would not necessarily use all 8 holes, it is more common to use just 4.

But it could do, right? :wink: And yes, it would be more effective to use four holes instead of eight.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2011 9:21 am 

Nice mechanism, but I was not attempting less from dayan and mf8 :P . Can't wait to get mine.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2011 1:25 pm 

what a creative mechanism! I did not see this coming. But when I think back, I dont know how to make the planets if a traditional mech was used.

My puzzles in the Museum
My Website
My Youtube Channel

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2011 2:02 pm 

Yeah, me to i was thinking last week, hmm, how can they use an 6 core arm for that puzzle, very creative, im excited to see the mods that people will do with that!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 1:30 pm 

excalvin wrote:
Below, share with you all several photos.

Aha, these are photos of my Crazy Tetrahedron(Mercury) :wink:

The standard one can be seen as a Skewb Ultimate. But I find this Mercury is very difficult…

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 11:30 am 

I just receive mine "0" edition, very cool puzzle.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 6:01 pm 

I got my Circle Tetrahedron a week or more ago and have been meaning to ask... is there a safe way to take it apart? I'd like to examine the insides but I don't want to risk breaking anything.

Thanks,
Carl

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 6:05 pm 

Location: The land of dreams, coincedentally located in Alberta
Luke wrote:
Argh! Not only coloured plastic, but planets??? Come on! Besides, surely there can only be four different planets (normal Circle Tetrahedron, one bandaged face, two bandaged faces and three bandaged faces). They shouldn't be planets unless there are at least eight possible combinations.

This has probably already been said, but I think they combine non-circled faces, free-moving circle faces and bandaged circle faces, so that makes at least 8 planets...

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 6:15 pm 

I just got my limited edition full circle tetrahedron and it's quite nice :)
I don't know how to solve it yet entirely but i really like it !

My Website on Twisty Puzzles with Gears

Grégoire Pfennig

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 6:19 pm 

GoombaGeek wrote:
This has probably already been said, but I think they combine non-circled faces, free-moving circle faces and bandaged circle faces, so that makes at least 8 planets...

Actually except for the trivial cases (the all-"0" puzzle is the plain circle tetrahedron, no-"0" puzzles are all Jing's Pyraminx), there are nine different combinations: the 8 planets and "0012", which is not named. They really should give it a name and sell it.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 7:48 pm 

You remove an inner edge first. It's not hard, and the mech is even brighter when you see it by yourself. It's cool how the cuts are curved by the inside.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 7:42 am 

Last Friday I have received three variants of Crazy Tetrahedron: Mercury, Jupiter, Regular
The size is identical to a Jing's Pyraminx (That is not really small.) You need to lubricate them or you will be not very happy. With breaking in and lubrication turning improves. :)
So far, I have solved the Regular several times and have looked for the necessary algorithms for Jupiter using the simulator by Bo Hu (see schuma's post viewtopic.php?f=1&t=20285&p=261445)
EDIT: I have disassembled and reassembled the Jupiter (following the hint above - easy :) ) Knowing the hardware oriented solution, :lol: (no srewdriver necessary) I have scrambled and solved it afterwards. :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 9:28 pm 

Playing with my new Standard Crazy Tetrahedron just now, and the yellow circle turned about halfway and will not turn back, making the puzzle completely unusable. Anyone know what might be up? I guess I'll have to take it apart, although I'm nervous about doing that.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 9:57 pm 

It should be noted that to make your 'Standard' crazy tetrahedron a lot less boring, you can simply switch the orientation of the little circle at the base of the centers after disassembly. While technically you are still able to turn the circles, in practice this never happens by accident and it is actually quite difficult to purposely turn, unless the puzzle is aligned perfectly.

NEW VIDEOS-
3x3x3 stop-motion solve
QJ 4x4x4 solve

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 6:38 am 

merlintocs wrote:
Playing with my new Standard Crazy Tetrahedron just now, and the yellow circle turned about halfway and will not turn back, making the puzzle completely unusable. Anyone know what might be up? I guess I'll have to take it apart, although I'm nervous about doing that.

It's easy to put back together the hardest thing of putting it together is trying to keep the pieces from not falling back in parts, except that, it's pretty easy.

I would need help for solving it (the normal one) :? . The way I solve it, is that is solved like a normal Jing's pyraminx first, and after I go with the circle. Right now I only found a case, that apears reguarly, but somme times not.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 6:43 am 

Care to show us a picture of the case?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 8:41 am 

The case is when their missing an inner edges and a center, (in those like a trianglepizze slaice :mrgreen: ), you just connect the center and the inner edges, and you put the center where it need to go (with the edge), by doing the "alg" the you use to put the center on a jing pyraminx.

Last edited by Drake on Fri Aug 19, 2011 8:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 8:44 am 

I'm sorry, but I don't understand what you're saying. Could you please provide a picture, and then I'll provide an algorithm. :)

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 8:50 am 

Cant't provide pictures or video now, but i will when i will be able. But the R' L R L'x3 alg to exchange the center on a jings pyraminx that the alg that you need. When you solve all the Jing's pyraminx part, (except the centers), you searsh in their an inner cide that is missing an center an a inner edge. If yes you match the inner edge and center, and the the R' L R L' x3 alg on the correct side and should solve the puzzle. But that's the only case i know/found...

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 12:11 pm 

Monopoly wrote:
It should be noted that to make your 'Standard' crazy tetrahedron a lot less boring, you can simply switch the orientation of the little circle at the base of the centers after disassembly. While technically you are still able to turn the circles, in practice this never happens by accident and it is actually quite difficult to purposely turn, unless the puzzle is aligned perfectly.
A Regular Circle Tetrahedron has four stationary
circles, right? The planets are a combination of 0 faces (=stationary circle) 1 faces (= moving circle) and 2 faces (no circle)
The core is always identical (this is the core of a Regular with four 0 faces):
The difference comes with the centre pieces:

To your left is the blue centre of the Regular (a 0 centre) to your right is the orange 1 centre of a Mercury (moving centre)
An original 0 centre is safely fixed to the core and can never turn relatively to it.
The centre is made of two pieces which are screwed together. The lower, circular part is identical for 0 and 1 centres.
Monopoly's idea is to change a 0 centre to a 1 centre by flipping the little circle around and screw the centre together again.
Switching a 1 centre to a 0 centre is not possible, though. The triangular stem of the triangle centre will not allow this.
In essence, this means that you can buy a Regular and make serially in addition Mercury, Mars and Jupiter.
Good idea! :D
The only thing I miss to understand is the sentence
Quote:
While technically you are still able to turn the circles, in practice this never happens by accident and it is actually quite difficult to purposely turn, unless the puzzle is aligned perfectly.
If you mean by the word "circle" the visible circle on the face, this circle never moves on a Regular, when turning a face. If you mean the circular base of the centre piece, I do not understand this sentence either. Or do you mean the outer circle moving with the vertex move of the opposite side, which is a move of the core in space? (That would be a strange view to me for a face turning tetrahedron :wink: )

@Drake:
Regarding the solving of a Regular, I miss to understand how you can solve it as a Jing's Pyraminx, generally. If the centres are not correctly matching the outer edges after the Jing's solve, I do not see an easy way fixing it after.
The simple swapping of four centres as on Jing's Pyraminx (R' L R L') x3 is the only possible easy case.
I have solved it as an Ultimate Skewb and later with some algorithms I have found for the planets Jupiter and Mercury, but generally seeing the centres fixed, like you would view the centres on a 3x3x3.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 3:57 am 

In the post above, Konrad provided the diagram with the 8 variants sold (not inc. regular). I have a few questions.

1) Does anyone have an opinion on an order of difficulty of these?

2) Does anyone have all 8 and has solved them?

3) How would the solving be different for the uranus (0002) and the mercury (0001)?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 4:01 am 

I can only answer question three. Because there isn't a circle on the '2' faces, it means that moves get blocked when parts from that face become associated with that of stationary circle faces, because the centers can't move.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 4:13 am 

Luke wrote:
I can only answer question three. Because there isn't a circle on the '2' faces, it means that moves get blocked when parts from that face become associated with that of stationary circle faces, because the centers can't move.

Oh, right. So that's why on my saturn, I turn a white face into orange (which is "0") and then I can sort of turn the orange face maybe half a centimetre, but it won't turn further. I see...

So as a general principle, would it make sense to solve the "2" faces first or last? Or some other way?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 6:57 am 

rline wrote:
In the post above, Konrad provided the diagram with the 8 variants sold (not inc. regular). I have a few questions.

1) Does anyone have an opinion on an order of difficulty of these?

2) Does anyone have all 8 and has solved them?

3) How would the solving be different for the uranus (0002) and the mercury (0001)?
schuma has solved all of them. Probably, he has used the simulator of Bo Hu
schuma wrote:
Phew, I've just solved all the planets of crazy tetrahedra, and an unnamed variation (type-0012). The last one I solved is Uranus. I think that's the hardest. It's quite different from all the other crazy puzzles, because There is only one face that's guaranteed to be movable. All the other faces may lock up.

My ranking from easiest to the hardest:

Earth - Saturn - Venus - Mercury - Jupiter - Mars - Neptune - 0012 - Uranus
quoted from the Crazy thread page 5.
I have three physical: Regular, Jupiter, Mercury (that's my order of difficulty, too)

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 7:23 pm 

Quote:
quoted from the Crazy thread page 5.

Ah, thanks Konrad. Sorry, didn't pick that post up from schuma. Interesting order...