Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Fri Apr 25, 2014 4:22 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Re: Gelatin Brain's Applet Problem
PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 3:32 pm 

Katja, the file with suffixe ".exe" is a native executable format for Windows. It doesn't work on Mac.
The last time, you said the installer ended sussessfully.
Then there should be a folder named "Magic Polyhedra" directly under your home directory.
If you don't know where it is, type "echo ~ " (without quote) on your terminal window. The path of your home directory will be displayed.
Then change your current work directory to home (type "cd ~") .
and type
DYLD_LIBRARY_PATH=. java -jar polyhedra.jar debug=true
Does this work? If not, do you see message on the terminal window?

Win32 Executable(Download)
troubleshooting

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 5:21 pm 

Hi Gelatinbrain,
Actually I didn't have to go through any of those steps using the Terminal window. I located the file "Magic Polyhedra" in my home directory, opened it and clicked the Java icon that says "polyhedra.jar". The downloaded version is working perfectly, thanks again for your effort :D

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 8:38 pm 

So as I said in the solving forum, I have never been able to use Gelatin Brain on either of my computers.

I can click on the puzzle, but the applet never loads. I have some other Java programs that run perfectly fine using Java, however it does not with Gelatin brain.

I have reinstalled Java about three times now, and I have also tried changing the settings as stated before in this thread.

Both my computers are Windows 7, and I have awesome internet through my university, sooooo, anybody have any ideas of what my problem might be?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 2:19 am 

Can you run the JOGL test applet which Brandon introduced earlier in this thread?
You get the same problem with mine? Maybe you have no message because your JAVA console is off. Check the option "JAVA console" on JAVA control panel and relaunch your browser.

I'm sorry I have no time right now, I have to leave. If you post new elements here I will reply later this evening.

Thanks.

troubleshooting

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2011 5:10 pm 

gelatinbrain wrote:
Your machine is 64bits or 32 bits? If it's 64bits you will have to get a special browser for it. Another possible cause is the JAVA console setting.

I'm currently running the 64 bit version of Windows 7 Home Premium. If this means I need a special browser what special browser do I need?
gelatinbrain wrote:
See Brandon's post here for details. But these problems are only for applet.
If the ".exe" and the executable jar don't work either, the cause would be elsewhere.

When I first lost the ability to use the applet I could still get the ".exe" to work but I think I was using Vista then. Now the ".exe" doesn't work either.
Here is the error message I get.
I must confess I don't know what a executable jar is but when I click on the Executable Jar Installer link in your sig I get a window like this:
And it doesn't seem to make any difference if I click yes or no as the following window is the same.
So I don't think its working either... not really sure what its supposed to do. The start installation button doesn't appear to do anything.
gelatinbrain wrote:
I can't guess the problem without additional infos. Could you please describe your problem in detail and post it to the thread mentionned above?

The main issue I was hoping to fix is when I go here:
http://users.skynet.be/gelatinbrain/Applets/Magic%20Polyhedra/index.htm
I see the images off all the puzzles but when I click on them nothing ever opens. For example when I click on 1.1.1 here is what I get.
I hope this helps.

Carl

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2011 5:44 pm 

Hi Carl,

First, the installer won't work without granting it permission to write files to your home directory. The "SecurityException: user.home" most likely means you didn't edit the Java policy to grant the installer permissions. See this post for how to do that.

Second, the installer thinks your architecture is x86 which suggests to me that you are using the 32-bit version of IE and the 32-bit version of Java.

You should make sure you're using the 64-bit IE and 64-bit Java. Oracle has a help page here that addresses this issue.

Alternatively you can just manually "install" the applet. Which JOGL related native jars you download and extract are dependent on your OS and architecture but it's still quite easy to do.

My local directory contains:
Code:
gluegen-rt-natives-linux-amd64.jar
gluegen-rt.jar
images
jogl-natives-linux-amd64.jar
jogl.all.jar
jogl.core.jar
jogl.util.jar
libgluegen-rt.so
libjogl_cg.so
libjogl_es1.so
libjogl_es2.so
libjogl_gl2.so
libjogl_gl2es12.so
libnativewindow_awt.so
libnativewindow_jvm.so
libnativewindow_x11.so
nativewindow-natives-linux-amd64.jar
nativewindow.all.jar
nativewindow.core.jar
nativewindow.x11.jar
polyhedra.jar

You'd have to adapt the above to your system. If that sounds hard then use the installer.

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 3:52 pm 

As Brandon wrote, the installer fails because you don't have enough permissions.
The best way is download the installer and execute it offline.
I just updated the installer page. Click "Executable Jar Installer" in my signature below and follow the insructions, please.

The problem of ".exe" is maybe due to the video card driver. Someone already repported a similar case. Visit your video card's vendor's site and install the latest driver.

Thanks,

troubleshooting

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 9:15 am 

Sorry, I didn't get back to try this till today.
gelatinbrain wrote:
As Brandon wrote, the installer fails because you don't have enough permissions.
The best way is download the installer and execute it offline.
I just updated the installer page. Click "Executable Jar Installer" in my signature below and follow the insructions, please.
I just tried and I'm now getting this:
Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The server encountered an error while processing your request
Request: http://users.skynet.be/gelatinbrain/Applets/Magic%20Polyhedra/installer.jar
Response: The page you are looking for could not be found
Did you take the installer down?
gelatinbrain wrote:
The problem of ".exe" is maybe due to the video card driver. Someone already repported a similar case. Visit your video card's vendor's site and install the latest driver.
I just did that and yes I now have the ".exe" working again.

Thanks,
Carl

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 10:57 am 

wwwmwww wrote:
...I just tried and I'm now getting this:
Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The server encountered an error while processing your request
Request: http://users.skynet.be/gelatinbrain/Applets/Magic%20Polyhedra/installer.jar
Response: The page you are looking for could not be found
I'm getting the same error message.
wwwmwww wrote:
gelatinbrain wrote:
I just did that and yes I now have the ".exe" working again.

Thanks,
Carl
I have checked my video card driver (NVIDIA GeForce GT 240M) again. It is up to date. The .exe does not start at all.
I start it. No error message. NOTHING happens :( I run W7 Home Primium 64bit.
The browser applet runs, but now I do not see any pictures when I want to choose a puzzle. I'm getting just the numbers.
(I'm running IE V9 and Firefox 4.0) :( :(

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 3:02 pm 

wwwmwww wrote:

I just uploaded it. Looks I did delete it accidentally, sorry...

troubleshooting

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 2:07 pm 

Is it normal, that I see numbers only when selecting a puzzle and no pictures?

EDIT 11/06/18: seems that the normal index page is back. Thanks Gelatinbrain!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 2:46 pm 

bmenrigh wrote:
gelatinbrain wrote:
The current session is automatically saved when you quit and reloaded the next time you launch.

I really like the sound of this feature but it isn't working on my system. I tracked it down to a hard-coded reference to "Magic Polyhedra" in my home directory. Namely:

Code:
open("/home/brenrigh/Magic Polyhedra/sessions/.default.zzz", O_WRONLY|O_CREAT|O_TRUNC, 0666) = -1 ENOENT (No such file or directory)

I have the local copy stored elsewhere on disk. Perhaps there could be a reference to "." (the current working directory) too? I could make a sessions directory within the CWD for ".default.zzz" to be stored? Another option would be to add a command line switch to specify the path to the default save file.

The reference root of the program is "$HOME/Magic Polyhedra" and not the current working directory.
By default, the program is installed under $HOME. You must have deleted it after copying it elsewhere.
The reference to "." is not good for several reasons.
First, the current directory of applet is browser-dependent.
For standalone version too, if you clicked the JAVA VM from your finder, maybe your current direcotry is the location of the executable program and maybe write-protected.

This is why many Windows applications fail with non-administrator privilege. And many users continue to logging in as root to avoid problems in spite of enormous risks. :?

troubleshooting

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 3:15 pm 

gelatinbrain wrote:
The reference root of the program is "$HOME/Magic Polyhedra" and not the current working directory.
By default, the program is installed under $HOME. You must have deleted it after copying it elsewhere.
The reference to "." is not good for several reasons.
First, the current directory of applet is browser-dependent.
For standalone version too, if you clicked the JAVA VM from your finder, maybe your current direcotry is the location of the executable program and maybe write-protected.

This is why many Windows applications fail with non-administrator privilege. And many users continue to logging in as root to avoid problems in spite of enormous risks. :?

You make a good point that I hadn't thought of. Thinking about it more, I also find programs that store stuff in . to be annoying.

What about an environment variable for overriding the path? I could set GB_SESSIONS="/path/to/sessions/directory/" and then you could check the existence of $GB_SESSIONS and if it's there use it and otherwise try with $HOME/Magic Polyhedra/

I understand this is more non-puzzle programming work so you won't hurt my feelings if you ignore me :D

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 6:20 pm 

I tried to play with the Sphere 6.2.1 today but 6.2.1 and 6.2.1b can't be twisted and the program crashes when I try to load 6.2.1c.

Thanks for looking into the issue :D

Edit:
The problem was fixed in this update:
Code:
The timestamp on http://users.skynet.be/gelatinbrain/Applets/Magic%20Polyhedra/joglx/polyhedra.jar was updated.
New date: Tue, 28 Feb 2012 20:15:32 GMT
New md5:  a9aa82e4037b8e4cf84b5df30b921c0b

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 12:53 pm 

Location: In my study drooling over my puzzle hoard - Precioussssss!
Sorry to dig up this thread but I think this is the place to try for Gelatin Brain support.

I have a Mac and it was working fine using the stand alone jar application (I used the installer).

Last week I upgraded to Mountain Lion and then installed Java 7 from Oracle.
I re-downloaded the installer and it installed OK into my Application folder. But when I double click the polyhedra.jar file nothing much happens! I do get a CStart menu come up but no window at all!

Any ideas how to resolve this as I can't find a way to run it in a browser window and I need this to try to work some algorithms through with Konrad for the 4x4 bandaged AI.

Thanks for any help.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 11:51 am 

Puzzlemad wrote:
Last week I upgraded to Mountain Lion and then installed Java 7 from Oracle.
I re-downloaded the installer and it installed OK into my Application folder. But when I double click the polyhedra.jar file nothing much happens! I do get a CStart menu come up but no window at all!

I know next to nothing about Mac. But this sounds like a 32/64bits compatibility thing.
Try one of test applet on this page.
If it works, your problem will be solved by installing the latest JOGL modules for your configuration. If not, unfortunately your OS is not supported yet. :(

troubleshooting

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 1:15 pm 

gelatinbrain wrote:
I know next to nothing about Mac. But this sounds like a 32/64bits compatibility thing.
If it works, your problem will be solved by installing the latest JOGL modules for your configuration. If not, unfortunately your OS is not supported yet. :(

I get the following error when I run the gears demo:
Code:
com.sun.deploy.net.JARSigningException: Found unsigned entry in resource: http://download.java.net/media/jogl/jsr-231-2.x-webstart/jogl.all.jar
   at com.sun.javaws.security.SigningInfo.getCommonCodeSignersForJar(Unknown Source)
   at com.sun.javaws.security.SigningInfo.check(Unknown Source)
   at com.sun.javaws.security.JNLPSignedResourcesHelper.checkSignedResourcesHelper(Unknown Source)
   at com.sun.javaws.security.JNLPSignedResourcesHelper.checkSignedResources(Unknown Source)
   at com.sun.javaws.Launcher.prepareResources(Unknown Source)
   at com.sun.javaws.Launcher.prepareAllResources(Unknown Source)
   at com.sun.javaws.Launcher.prepareToLaunch(Unknown Source)
   at com.sun.javaws.Launcher.prepareToLaunch(Unknown Source)
   at com.sun.javaws.Launcher.launch(Unknown Source)
   at com.sun.javaws.Main.launchApp(Unknown Source)
   at com.sun.javaws.Main.continueInSecureThread(Unknown Source)
   at com.sun.javaws.Main.access$000(Unknown Source)
   at com.sun.javaws.Main$1.run(Unknown Source)
   at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:722)

Is this helpful in determining what is going on?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 1:25 pm 

Puzzlemad wrote:
gelatinbrain wrote:

I get the following error when I run the gears demo:
Code:
com.sun.deploy.net.JARSigningException: Found unsigned entry in resource: http://download.java.net/media/jogl/jsr-231-2.x-webstart/jogl.all.jar
   at com.sun.javaws.security.SigningInfo.getCommonCodeSignersForJar(Unknown Source)
   at com.sun.javaws.security.SigningInfo.check(Unknown Source)
[...]

Is this helpful in determining what is going on?

Sorta. Looks like Java / JOGL code signing is, once again, screwed up.

Check out this post. Try temporarily defeating Java's code signing checks and see if you make progress.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 4:06 pm 

bmenrigh wrote:
Check out this post. Try temporarily defeating Java's code signing checks and see if you make progress.

In the end at the bottom of the page I tried using Terminal to start the app using the command:
java -jar polyhedra.jar

It came up with this error in the terminal window but at least did start the Gelatin Brain app!

Code:
Kevins-iMac:Magic Polyhedra kevinmsadler$ java -jar polyhedra.jar
objc[52841]: Class ContextUpdater is implemented in both /Applications/Magic Polyhedra/libjogl_gl2.jnilib and /Applications/Magic Polyhedra/libjogl_gl2es12.jnilib. One of the two will be used. Which one is undefined.

If anyone knows why it works fromTerminal but not by double clicking the Polyhedra.jar file then that would be helpful!!

At least it now works!

Last edited by Puzzlemad on Thu Nov 01, 2012 4:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 4:10 pm 

Puzzlemad wrote:
If anyone knows why it works fromTermianl but not by double clicking the Polyhedra.jar file then that would be helpful!!

I don't know how OS X handles GUI events and application launches but there must be a registered handler for files with the ".jar" extension. The handler must be running a different version of java. You probably have a 32/64 bit missmatch where the terminal is one but the GUI launches the other.

The other possibility is that the GUI launcher sets up the JRE/JDK environment differently and the path information or permission information isn't the same as the defaults when you launch java manually. A quick and dirty java program to print the environment and version would tell you the difference between the GUI and terminal.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 4:21 pm 

bmenrigh wrote:
A quick and dirty java program to print the environment and version would tell you the difference between the GUI and terminal.

I haven't done any programming since 1988!!! :shock: :shock:
I'm not sure that java was around then! :lol:

I'm just pleased I could get it working!!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 2:24 pm 

The URL of my site is changed. So I modified my signature below. Note that the old installer doesn't work offline. You have to re-download the installer to update the JAVA version.

Thanks.

troubleshooting