Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Tue Jul 22, 2014 5:35 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Mini Mixup Cube-PuzzleMaster6262
PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 10:11 pm 

I realized the Mini Mixup Cube has never had an appearance under the New Puzzles forum section. Plus I do believe all previous pictures I have shown are from my first personal prototype instead of the final commercial version. That commercial version is for sale on Shapeways for $45. I also sell assembled, dyed, and stickered variants for only $52 plus inexpensive shipping. Order one by sending me a pm.

Oskar Van Deventer deserves some credit for his version for sale here. Oskar developed his in 2009 only to discover thanks to Vladimir that Sergey Makarov patented a very similar puzzle in 1985. Both have unique mechanisms.

In Sergey's original version the pieces were held together using overlaps, very similar to dovetails. Oskar improved this by supporting the puzzle with an internal 2x2x2. His first version was a bit stiff but is now greatly improved. It should also be noted that Vladimir Yaroslavskiy produced a magnet using version. Edit: His uses a metal sphere as the core. The 8 corners have magnets holding them to the core essentially making an inner 2x2x2. To keep costs low and quality up my miniature version uses an Eastsheen 2x2x2 as the core. In addition it has 24 extra pieces that fit in between the edges and centers. This helps hold everything together and the new larger hidden pieces greatly increase stability.

Watch the scramble video of the Mini Mixup Cube on YouTube.com or watch the ultra cool 3D Scramble Video that I made thanks to this post. The video quality is not as good so if you don't care for 3D, watch the first video. I did find a unique rustic background to contrast the puzzle though.

You can see the "hidden" pieces in these photos. They are the lines in between edge and center pieces.
Attachment:
File comment: Solved
DSCN0772.JPG
DSCN0772.JPG [ 321.43 KiB | Viewed 6514 times ]

Another link I need to post is one to Dr-Sticker.com. They supplied me with the amazing stickers and have the template saved so those who buy this puzzle from Shapeways don't need to fumble around with a ruler or ask me for dimensions. Just send them a message explaining you need to buy stickers for the Mini Mixup Cube and you're good to go.
Attachment:
File comment: Special Move!
DSCN0771.JPG
DSCN0771.JPG [ 83.12 KiB | Viewed 6514 times ]

I don't have a scrambled picture because 1) I forgot to take a photo after the video and 2) this is a very hard puzzle to solve!

Last edited by PuzzleMaster6262 on Fri May 20, 2011 11:29 am, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject: Re: Mini Mixup Cube-PuzzleMaster6262
PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 10:17 pm 

Will have this amazing puzzle in my collection soon enough...

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 2:59 am 

PuzzleMaster6262 wrote:
... this is a very hard puzzle to solve!
That's an understatement!

This was my first Shapeways puzzle and for the price it is great value for money. Go buy it!

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 3:31 am 

PuzzleMaster6262 wrote:
It should also be noted that Vladimir Yaroslavskiy produced a magnet using version. His uses a magnetic 2x2x2 as the core.

Small correction: in my cube "metal" sphere is used as the core, not magnetic 2x2x2 core. Magnets are used in the parts. You can see new video. Note that internal "metal" sphere can be used in magnet 24 Cube / Little Chop too. If you like magnets idea, I have one extra Makarov's Cube for sale / trade.

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 9:25 am 

@iaroslavski
I have edited the description. Does this work for you?

Thank you Gus for the great compliment :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 9:36 am 

PuzzleMaster6262 wrote:
@iaroslavski
I have edited the description. Does this work for you?

Exactly!

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 10:37 am 

I have both puzzles, the one made by Oskar and the one made by Mike.
Mike's is very beautiful and I like it more than the original.
Also, it turns better.
It is a nice addition to my collection.

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 11:21 am 

I recently ordered one from Mike and it was sent on Tuesday. From all the reviews that have been given, I can't wait to receive mine! :D

Buy the Curvy Copter Skewb, NovaMinx, and more here!

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 2:47 pm 

Did you ask Oskar for permission first?

Oskar wrote:
Am I becoming some twisty Chuck Norris, or so?

Check out my blog

Follow me on Twitter

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 3:09 pm 

im saving my money up for this, just keep selling them so i can buy one soon!

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 3:15 pm 

thomasbomb wrote:
Yes, Mike did. I think that it is great to have his affordable mini version next to my full-size version. I still hope that someone will locate Sergey Makarov, the original inventor, so I can pay him his royalty share for the few Mixup Cubes that I sold.
Georges wrote:
I have both puzzles, the one made by Oskar and the one made by Mike. Mike's is very beautiful and I like it more than the original. Also, it turns better.
Developing twisty puzzles is a continuous learning experience. My updated version of Mixup Cube (YouTube) turns much better than my original one.

Oskar

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 3:23 pm 

Oskar wrote:
thomasbomb wrote:
Yes, Mike did. I think that it is great to have his affordable mini version next to my full-size version. I still hope that someone will locate Sergey Makarov, the original inventor, so I can pay him his royalty share for the few Mixup Cubes that I sold.

Oskar

Ok thanks. Now I feel more comfortable about it. I won't be buying it too soon, but It'll be on my wish list!

Oskar wrote:
Am I becoming some twisty Chuck Norris, or so?

Check out my blog

Follow me on Twitter

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2011 1:17 pm 

After editing my first post and expanding on both Oskar's and iaroslavski"s Mixup Cubes, I thought I should expand upon my own Mini Mixup Cube's history. When I was designing the Fully Functional Siamese 3x3x3 I noticed the edges and centers were mechanically the same piece and could be interchanged, apart from the different sizes. This gave me the idea of a Mixup like puzzle. Around this time I remembered seeing Oskar's Mixup Cube video. He decreased the depth of the cuts so that the centers and edges could be perfectly interchanged. The idea I always had was using the extra 24 pieces used in my version to keep it proportional. I also noticed Oskar stated the puzzle was patented so I started doing research. Eventually I found a few posts on this site saying Sergey made the concept fair game after his prototype failed. So off I went and designed a Mixup Cube to fit around a mini Eastsheen. I had no real understanding of how Oskar's worked until after I finished my design. With it finished though I examined Oskar's 3D model on Shapeways to make sure the designs were different. With mine having the extra 24 pieces and being miniature I uploaded it to Shapeways for sale. Thanks to Greg around that time I also contacted Oskar to get his opinions.

It would be great to track down Sergey Makarov to see what he thinks of all of this.

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2011 6:02 pm 

PuzzleMaster6262 wrote:
With mine having the extra 24 pieces...

Could you comment on why there is a need for the 24 pieces? If these pieces were stickered would they add to the challenge of solving the puzzle? Having worked on my Circle Mixup Cube (aka Thorny Cube) I believe I understand how Oscar's puzzle works but I'm not sure I understand the need or use of these 24 pieces.
PuzzleMaster6262 wrote:
It would be great to track down Sergey Makarov to see what he thinks of all of this.

Agreed. The twisty puzzle community seems rather connected so I'm surprised someone here doesn't know how to contact him. This day and age we have 3D printing, nice software packages like SolidWorks, etc. so it really makes me appreciate the work of Ernő Rubik (3x3x3), Uwe Meffert (Pyraminx), and those like Sergey Makarov that worked to create new puzzles and ideas without all the tools we have today.

Carl

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2011 2:59 pm 

@Carl
This first photo shows the puzzle's model with the edge and center piece pegs held in place without the hidden pieces.
Attachment:
Mixup 1.jpg
Mixup 1.jpg [ 133.41 KiB | Viewed 5959 times ]

In this photo the hidden pieces are returned, filling up the gap.
Attachment:
Mixup 2.jpg
Mixup 2.jpg [ 134.89 KiB | Viewed 5959 times ]

This side shot shows the center slice layer of the puzzle; centers, edges, and hidden pieces.
Attachment:
mixup 3.jpg
mixup 3.jpg [ 128.31 KiB | Viewed 5959 times ]

This is from the same angle with the hidden pieces removed.
Attachment:
mixup 4.jpg
mixup 4.jpg [ 120.71 KiB | Viewed 5959 times ]

You can see how without them the puzzle would be loose and unstable. This post from Oskar shows the puzzle can't be doctrinaire. This is incorrect. Instead by decreasing the size of the edge and center pegs a single extra piece can be added to fill the gap.

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2011 4:05 pm 

PuzzleMaster6262 wrote:
@Carl
This first photo shows the puzzle's model with the edge and center piece pegs held in place without the hidden pieces.

But the feet of the edges and the face centers can be made big enough to touch thus filling in most of that empty space. I don't think a Mixup Cube without these pieces necessarily needs to be loose and unstable. None the less they are interesting pieces and they appear to add a new type of piece to this puzzle. More on that in a second...
PuzzleMaster6262 wrote:
This post from Oskar shows the puzzle can't be doctrinaire. This is incorrect. Instead by decreasing the size of the edge and center pegs a single extra piece can be added to fill the gap.

I agree... this puzzle IS doctrinaire. This is true even without those extra 24 pieces.

What you have made here is in effect a bandaged version of madartilect's Mixup Cube II.
You have all these pieces but you have limited the slice turns to 45degrees. Granted I wouldn't call your puzzle bandaged and all the pieces can still be seperated. I suspect this would make your puzzle harder then madartilect's Mixup Cube II if you were to sticker the small pieces.
PuzzleMaster6262 wrote:
This gave me the idea of a Mixup like puzzle. Around this time I remembered seeing Oskar's Mixup Cube video. He decreased the depth of the cuts so that the centers and edges could be perfectly interchanged. The idea I always had was using the extra 24 pieces used in my version to keep it proportional.

I now also understand what you meant by keep it proportional. With your mech you could keep all 3 layers which rotate about a common axis the same width. If you did this your 24 pieces would gain surface area and you'd have a puzzle in appearance which was about half way between a Mixup Cube and madartilect's Mixup Cube II. His yellow pieces would be rectangular on your puzzle keeping your puzzle limited to 45 degree turns on the slice layers. Why did you drop the proportional idea? You SHOULD make that puzzle. I believe it would add a whole new solving challenge to the Mixup Cube and be a new unique puzzle all its own.

Carl

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2011 5:04 pm 

wwwmwww wrote:
I don't think a Mixup Cube without these pieces necessarily needs to be loose and unstable.

I agree, I only mean mine would be loose and unstable.
wwwmwww wrote:
I agree... this puzzle IS doctrinaire. This is true even without those extra 24 pieces.

I would really like to see why you think that it can be doctrinaire without extra pieces. May you please explain?
wwwmwww wrote:
You have all these pieces but you have limited the slice turns to 45degrees. Granted I wouldn't call your puzzle bandaged and all the pieces can still be seperated.quote]
Although both puzzles could look the same, I don't see mine being the bandaged form of the other. The angles on all the pieces would need to be adjusted and the hidden pieces would need to be redesigned, much more than cutting a piece or two in half.
wwwmwww wrote:
Why did you drop the proportional idea? You SHOULD make that puzzle. I believe it would add a whole new solving challenge to the Mixup Cube and be a new unique puzzle all its own.

I haven't designed it in cube form but instead as a octahedron. The design is on Shapeways and will be printed soon. The model is confusing to make it compact but you can see the hidden pieces .Speaking of this octahedron shape, could you design a mixup octahedron without using my hidden pieces?

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2011 11:14 pm 

PuzzleMaster6262 wrote:
I would really like to see why you think that it can be doctrinaire without extra pieces. May you please explain?

Yes, happy to. You need to go back and review the definitions Bram posted here.

Let's start with these 2:
Bram wrote:
Let's define a 'doctrinaire' puzzle as one where if you were to remove all the coloration then every single position would look exactly the same. The Rubik's Cube is a doctrinaire puzzle, as is the Skewb and Megaminx. Also the Sphere Xyz, Chromo Ball, Puck puzzles, and a bunch of other puzzles which don't have slices like a Rubik's Cube but still have permutations.

A shape mod is a non-doctrinaire puzzle which can be shape modded to a doctrinaire puzzle. The Fisher Cube is a shape mod, as is the Mixup Cube.

Based on this I would technically call both Oskar's and your Mixup Cubes shape mods of a doctrinaire puzzle. The easiest way to see this is to replace all the edges pieces with face centers so you have a puzzle with 8 corners and 18 face center pieces. In this form with the stickers removed the puzzle never changes shape, even with the 45 degree slice turns and every single position looks exactly the same as all the others.
PuzzleMaster6262 wrote:
Although both puzzles could look the same, I don't see mine being the bandaged form of the other. The angles on all the pieces would need to be adjusted and the hidden pieces would need to be redesigned, much more than cutting a piece or two in half.

Ok... I'm using the word bandaged in 2 different ways so I think that is part of the confusion. First there is the "Bandaged Puzzle" which Bram defines in the link above as...
Bram wrote:
A bandage puzzle is a non-doctrinaire one where by cutting the pieces into smaller parts it's possible to transform it into a doctrinaire puzzle.

The other way I use it is as a verb... i.e. to bandage a puzzle. For example, you can bandage a 4x4x4 and turn it into a 3x3x3. That doesn't mean I consider a 3x3x3 a "Bandaged Puzzle" as its a doctrinaire puzzle all by itself. I hope that makes sense. So when I refer to bandaging a puzzle I simply mean a restriction has been placed on that puzzle. That restriction could mean pieces have been fused together but that isn't the only way restrictions can be added to the puzzle. I consider the Gear Cube a bandaged form of the 3x3x3 which is itself also a doctrinaire puzzle.

In this case let's start with madartilect's Mixup Cube II (the one seen in the gif above). The type of bandaging I want to apply to it is simply the restriction that only 45 degree slice turns are allowed. If we never make any 22.5 degree turns then the yellow pieces in his puzzle map perfectly to the smaller pieces of your puzzle. They would move in the exact same way and they would solve in the exact same way. They ARE the same pieces. Granted they are totally different in their shape and the mech that holds them but its still the same puzzle. Just look at all the 3x3x3 mechs out there... a 3x3x3 corner is still a 3x3x3 corner from the puzzle solving stand point. So yes, you can't turn your mech into his mech by simply cutting a piece in half, but your puzzle still behaves EXACTLY the way his would if it were limited (aka bandaged) to just 45 degree slice turns... and your 24 small pieces were stickered.
PuzzleMaster6262 wrote:
Speaking of this octahedron shape, could you design a mixup octahedron without using my hidden pieces?

Short answer... yes. It would just be a shape mod of Oskar's Mixup Cube.

Looking at the basic mech Oskar used for his Mixup Cube and is also present on my Thorny Cube you have face and edge pieces that are interchangeable. These pieces have an outer part which is stickered, a neck, and a foot. The foot is held down by the corners of the puzzle but I believe in Oscar's design the outer part of these pieces touches its neighbors as does the foot touch the foot of its neighbors. The volume that you turned into your hidden pieces is the volume between the necks of neighboring pieces which is empty on Oskar's Mixup Cube and my Thorny Cube. Neighboring pieces still push each other well as they still have two contact points (at the surface and the foot). You need these pieces as the feet of your pieces don't touch their neighbors feet. Not saying one way is better then the other and truth be told I hadn't though of this volume as being a potential new puzzle piece before now. I do really like the idea of a truely proportional Mixup 3x3x3 with these pieces stickered.

Carl

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2011 11:56 pm 

I was misusing the word doctrinaire. I was thinking it also included something about no gaps/no fudging.

wwwmwww wrote:
In this case let's start with madartilect's Mixup Cube II (the one seen in the gif above). The type of bandaging I want to apply to it is simply the restriction that only 45 degree slice turns are allowed. If we never make any 22.5 degree turns then the yellow pieces in his puzzle map perfectly to the smaller pieces of your puzzle. They would move in the exact same way and they would solve in the exact same way. They ARE the same pieces. Granted they are totally different in their shape and the mech that holds them but its still the same puzzle. Just look at all the 3x3x3 mechs out there... a 3x3x3 corner is still a 3x3x3 corner from the puzzle solving stand point. So yes, you can't turn your mech into his mech by simply cutting a piece in half, but your puzzle still behaves EXACTLY the way his would if it were limited (aka bandaged) to just 45 degree slice turns... and your 24 small pieces were stickered.

I do see how both my puzzle and the mixup 2 could behave as the same puzzle, just like a 7x7x7 can be a 3x3x3. I also understood what you were meaning by bandaged. The reason this is different than a 3x3x3 with different mechanisms is the basic puzzle is different on my Mini Mixup Cube and the Mixup Cube II. On your mixup cube, oskar's mixup cube, and even iaroslavski's mixup cube the centers and edges are cut at 45 degree angles. This ofcourse allows the special roations at 45 degrees without having a gap. In my puzzle by adding the hidden pieces this angle is variable, on mine it's 0 degrees. To convert my puzzle to a mixup cube II the angles would need to be changed to 22.5 degrees. This is why even though my hidden pieces act like the mixup II's extra pieces, I see both puzzles as fundamentally different.

I added a photo of my Mixup Octahedron to show there are no gaps between any surface pieces. Sorry for it being dark.
Attachment:
octahedron mixup.jpg
octahedron mixup.jpg [ 55.02 KiB | Viewed 5857 times ]

wwwmwww wrote:
Short answer... yes. It would just be a shape mod of Oskar's Mixup Cube.

But the shape mod would have gaps! Without using conical cuts at the surface there must be a large gap between the edges and centers. The exception is making the edges and centers almost deepcut, as madartilect did. This moves the gaps to between the edges and corners as you can see in his design. I understand this gap can be small but it still bugs me that it exists.

Besides a proportional Mixup cube, you can also make the cuts shallower than normal, adding 4 corner pieces around the center plus my 24 pieces . I'll finish this design befor I go back to the proportional one. If its not to much to ask could you make a POV Ray animation of a mixup cube with varying cut depths? I think this would help both of us understand the relationship bewtween these puzzles and get rid of the mechanical differences that are skewing our perceptions.

Edit: I found this thread that gave me the idea for the octahedron. I think the drawing helps show why the extra pieces are needed.

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2011 11:09 pm 

PuzzleMaster6262 wrote:
I was misusing the word doctrinaire. I was thinking it also included something about no gaps/no fudging.

Nope. There are doctrinaire puzzles which have gaps and there are also doctrinaire puzzles which are fudged.
PuzzleMaster6262 wrote:
I do see how both my puzzle and the mixup 2 could behave as the same puzzle, just like a 7x7x7 can be a 3x3x3. I also understood what you were meaning by bandaged. The reason this is different than a 3x3x3 with different mechanisms is the basic puzzle is different on my Mini Mixup Cube and the Mixup Cube II. On your mixup cube, oskar's mixup cube, and even iaroslavski's mixup cube the centers and edges are cut at 45 degree angles. This ofcourse allows the special roations at 45 degrees without having a gap. In my puzzle by adding the hidden pieces this angle is variable, on mine it's 0 degrees. To convert my puzzle to a mixup cube II the angles would need to be changed to 22.5 degrees. This is why even though my hidden pieces act like the mixup II's extra pieces, I see both puzzles as fundamentally different.

I think we are on the same page more or less. They are different puzzles but with bandaging as you said above both could be made to behave as the same puzzle.
PuzzleMaster6262 wrote:
I added a photo of my Mixup Octahedron to show there are no gaps between any surface pieces.

A very nice puzzle you've designed there. I'm eager to see it printed.
PuzzleMaster6262 wrote:
But the shape mod would have gaps! Without using conical cuts at the surface there must be a large gap between the edges and centers. The exception is making the edges and centers almost deepcut, as madartilect did. This moves the gaps to between the edges and corners as you can see in his design. I understand this gap can be small but it still bugs me that it exists.

Yes, you are correct. It would have gaps on the surface. All pieces could still be made to contact their neighbors at two points though so it should still function fine. I do like your extra pieces though as it does produce a neater look puzzle and even more then that it adds another piece type to solve so it makes for a harder puzzle. I like it. :)
PuzzleMaster6262 wrote:
Besides a proportional Mixup cube, you can also make the cuts shallower than normal, adding 4 corner pieces around the center plus my 24 pieces . I'll finish this design befor I go back to the proportional one. If its not to much to ask could you make a POV Ray animation of a mixup cube with varying cut depths? I think this would help both of us understand the relationship bewtween these puzzles and get rid of the mechanical differences that are skewing our perceptions.

Almost done... and there are a few VERY nice surprises I've found. I think I've finally found a jumbling Mixup Cube... actually make that 3 jumbling Mixup Cubes.
PuzzleMaster6262 wrote:
Edit: I found this thread that gave me the idea for the octahedron. I think the drawing helps show why the extra pieces are needed.

Nice drawing. Thanks...

Carl

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2011 11:25 pm 

PuzzleMaster6262 wrote:

Ok... to "get rid of the mechanical differences" these cubes have been gutted. We are just looking at the surface which is what defines the puzzle. I'm not concerned with the mech at the moment.

So for this series of animations I've had POV-Ray render a Mixup Cube in this shape:

box {<-1,-1,-1>,<1,1,1>}

This means all the surfaces of the puzzle are always 1 unit away from the point where all the axes of rotation cross. The code for each of these animations is identical except for one line which defines the cut depth. If that line looks like this:

#declare depth = (sqrt(2)/2)/(1+sqrt(2)/2);

We get the basic doctrinaire Mixup Cube. And it looks like this:

If we go for the proportional Mixup Cube we use a deeper cut:

#declare depth = 1/3;

And we get this doctrinaire puzzle:

But what happens when we go shallower? Short answer is some VERY interesting things. Stay tuned for my next post. Still rendering...

Carl

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2011 11:56 pm 

PuzzleMaster6262 wrote:
you can also make the cuts shallower than normal, adding 4 corner pieces around the center plus my 24 pieces.

This isn't quite correct. True there are now 4 new X-Centers but the 24 T-Centers AREN'T the same as your 24 pieces. They move differently. Note a slice layer now moves all 4 of the T-Centers on a given face. In your Mini Mixup Cube in this thread there are only 2 of the T-Centers on a given face moved with a slice layer.

Here we use:
#declare depth = 3/(1+3*sqrt(2));

Which gives us this NON-doctrinaire puzzle. I believe this jumbles but I haven't tried to unbandaged it yet so I'm not 100% sure.

Going even shallower:
#declare depth = 1/sqrt(2);

We get another NON-doctrinaire puzzle. This is a subset of the one above. We've lost the Centers and the T-Centers.

And if we push this even shallower:
#declare depth = (sqrt(2))/(1+sqrt(2)/2)-.04;

We get yet another NON-doctrinaire puzzle. We now get Centers and T-Centers again but look closely... these aren't the same Centers and T-
Centers we had before. These move differently.

Now all this has me thinking about a Multi-Mixup Cube. How can I get all these piece types on the same puzzle? We have:

1 type of Corner
2 types of Edge
2 types of Face Centers
3 types of T-Centers
1 type of X-Centers

Carl

Last edited by wwwmwww on Mon May 23, 2011 12:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 12:10 am 

Attachment:
Mixup Shallow.png
Mixup Shallow.png [ 25.52 KiB | Viewed 5732 times ]

This is what I was meaning. You just need to unbandage the edges in your models to make the puzzles doctrinaire.

I understood the hidden pieces act different. That is why in my puzzle on the surface they are not flush with the other pieces. I guess I was just being confused in my post...

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 12:23 am 

PuzzleMaster6262 wrote:
You just need to unbandage the edges in your models to make the puzzles doctrinaire.

No, I don't think that works. Here I have turned the two vertical slices by 45 degrees.

If I "unbandage the edges" as you describe I still can't turn the horizontal slice in this state. I can turn all 3 slices from the solved state so this state IS different... its not doctrinaire.

Carl

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 12:29 am 

Ok then, I think I see the problem. I'll mess around in Blender and hope more cuts don't need to be added besides the ones I plan to ad.

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 12:34 am 

PuzzleMaster6262 wrote:
Ok then, I think I see the problem. I'll mess around in Blender and hope more cuts don't need to be added besides the ones I plan to ad.

Nothing wrong with making a non-doctrinaire puzzle. I think this one would make a great puzzle just as it is:

Carl

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 1:38 am 

I was really sloppy in making the model but I'm really sure atleast a sphere transformation of this puzzle can be doctrinaire. In the morning I'll redo the model on a cube to see if I'm right or just needing sleep.
Attachment:
Mixup sphere.png
Mixup sphere.png [ 181.65 KiB | Viewed 5691 times ]

The holes are the final pieces. They are the central corners in Carl's animations. I didn't want to waste my time making them on such a crude model.

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 1:43 pm 

Success!. Lets keep this thread atleast slightly about my mixup cube. :lol:

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2011 5:18 pm 

I received mine from Mike yesterday. It's a very nice puzzle. Although I am somewhat puzzled by something. When I opened the packet it seemed that some dye had exploded on the inside bag which had the puzzle and my address in it. The card with my address on it was completely covered in dye, and a few stickers were stained by the dye. Luckily it's not too bad. Overall, an excellent puzzle, and so I recommend it to anyone! :D

Buy the Curvy Copter Skewb, NovaMinx, and more here!

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2011 12:47 am 

:?

Please post some pictures Luke, this is very odd. I placed the puzzle in a bag to keep liquids out, not in. Can you tell where the dye came from or is each piece about the same blackness?

Has any other forum member ever had this happen?

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2011 3:29 am 

My puzzle came in Saturday perfect and beautiful. Thank you! :D

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 7:01 am 

My puzzle has arrived today.
Everything is in perfect order! :D :D :D
It came very well packed with a short shipping time.
I have got it fully assembled and stickered from Mike directly.
Thank you very much Mike! :D And thank you Oskar for agreeing that Mike can sell the Mini version! :D
A real bargain, too, if you ask me (€ 40 everything included.)
The solving has to wait until my birthday, when I'll get the Mini Mixup in a nice parcel together with Timur's Master FTO! ( Will that one be still unique :wink: ?)