Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 10:49 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Bramboules by BRAM and OSKAR
PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 1:39 am 

Hi Twisty Puzzles fans,

Bramboules is an invention by Bram Cohen, inspired by the Cmetric puzzle. A gearing system enforces that all balls have to be turned in some direction simultaneously. This makes the puzzle quite confusing. Instead of the conventional way of solving a twisty puzzle part by part, this puzzle requires a holistic approach.

Compared to the original version, there are the following changes.
    The structure is more open.
    The gears have been simplified.
    The styling and colors are changed.
The new version runs as smoothly as the original. However, it requires some training to have all four balls move at the same time. If you move only one ball, or if you move the second ball in the wrong direction, then the move is blocked.

Watch the YouTube video.
Buy the puzzle at my Shapeways Shop.
Read more at the Shapeways Forum.
Check out the photos below.

Enjoy!

Oskar
Attachment:
Bramboules v6 - prototype - view 1.jpg
Bramboules v6 - prototype - view 1.jpg [ 51.64 KiB | Viewed 2069 times ]

Attachment:
Bramboules v6 - prototype - view 2.jpg
Bramboules v6 - prototype - view 2.jpg [ 50.36 KiB | Viewed 2069 times ]

Attachment:
Bramboules v6 - prototype - view 3.jpg
Bramboules v6 - prototype - view 3.jpg [ 51.16 KiB | Viewed 2069 times ]

Attachment:
Bramboules v6 - prototype - view 4.jpg
Bramboules v6 - prototype - view 4.jpg [ 52.72 KiB | Viewed 2069 times ]

Attachment:
Bramboules v6 - prototype - view 5.jpg
Bramboules v6 - prototype - view 5.jpg [ 45.58 KiB | Viewed 2069 times ]

Last edited by Oskar on Sat Apr 16, 2011 1:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Bramboules by BRAM and OSKAR
PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 1:41 am 

nice puzzle :lol:

my website: http://www.iq-puzzle.com.hk/

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 2:43 am 

I really like this puzzle. Good work. ;)

Buy the Curvy Copter Skewb, NovaMinx, and more here!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 3:31 am 

Very nice remake!

It looks like you dyed the parts of the balls and glued them together. Did you consider full-color printing on this one? I know it would be more expensive that way, but perhaps you could do some interesting color variations, like gradients or colored bands.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 4:06 am 

Jared wrote:
Did you consider full-color printing on this one? I know it would be more expensive that way, but perhaps you could do some interesting color variations, like gradients or colored bands.
Hi Jared,

That sounds like a nice idea. I glue the balls before assembling the rest of the puzzle, so solidly-printed balls would work equally well. I hope someone picks up your suggestion.

Oskar

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 7:39 am 

Hey Oskar, thanks for getting this made! It looks like there's quite a bit of friction in this one. Is it possible that giving a little more tolerance between the balls and cage, and/or making only the very tops and bottoms of the cage hold in the ball would reduce the friction? I still maintain that it should be possible to make a version of this one where moving one ball tends to move the whole thing, although the vinyl material has a fair amount of friction to begin with.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2011 5:55 am 

Bram,
Bram wrote:
It looks like there's quite a bit of friction in this one.
Your observation is incorrect. There is hardly any friction, and certainly not between the balls and the cage. What you see is occasional jamming because of misalignment of the gears. Please do not confuse this for friction.
Bram wrote:
I still maintain that it should be possible to make a version of this one where moving one ball tends to move the whole thing.
The reason why I believe you are wrong, is that if you move one ball, each adjacent ball can move in two directions. As neither of those balls has a reason to chose either direction, they will get stuck in the middle. Try running your car into the middle of a highway bifurcation and see what happens to your car.

Oskar

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2011 6:07 am 

Oskar wrote:
Try running your car into the middle of a highway bifurcation and see what happens to your car

Thanks for my new sig :lol: :lol: :lol:

My Website on Twisty Puzzles with Gears

Grégoire Pfennig

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2011 11:49 am 

Now this should be mass-produced!

"You say tomater, I zader matermorts." - Coach Z

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2011 12:46 pm 

Oskar wrote:
Bram wrote:
I still maintain that it should be possible to make a version of this one where moving one ball tends to move the whole thing.
The reason why I believe you are wrong, is that if you move one ball, each adjacent ball can move in two directions. As neither of those balls has a reason to chose either direction, they will get stuck in the middle. Try running your car into the middle of a highway bifurcation and see what happens to your car.

I'd need to actually play with the prototype to know for sure, but watching the video it appears there are numerous snags which happen at a point inconsistent with that separating being the problem. Also, the previous prototype did a reasonable job of forcing the balls to go one way or the other, and had unrelated snags which were the real problem.

In terms of assembly, did you make the cage be in two parts, with an inside and an outside? If so, it should require some forcing to put together, but it looks like you got it assembled just fine.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 2:08 pm 

Bram wrote:
Oskar wrote:
Bram wrote:

I'd need to actually play with the prototype to know for sure, but watching the video it appears there are numerous snags which happen at a point inconsistent with that separating being the problem. Also, the previous prototype did a reasonable job of forcing the balls to go one way or the other, and had unrelated snags which were the real problem.

Oskar, I think the puzzle Bram suggested may be possible. Using two independently moving gears in between each ball instead of a single one could make the difference. Because the axis of rotation between the gears and the balls are not parallel, having two gears should introduce a net tourque on the ball that forces it to choose one of the two possible "paths" (this force is brought about by the different angular velocities in the gears).

It's unlikely that this would work, but it may be possible. I would guess that the sls material has so much friction that it would dwarf the "net torque" but it is just something to think about. To quote Eitan "this should work with a certain level of actuallity removed."

maybe this idea is somehow oddly applied to the polo gears?

My Shapeways shop