Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 10:49 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours



Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: Bramboules by BRAM and OSKAR
PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 1:39 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Nov 30, 2009 1:03 pm
Hi Twisty Puzzles fans,

Bramboules is an invention by Bram Cohen, inspired by the Cmetric puzzle. A gearing system enforces that all balls have to be turned in some direction simultaneously. This makes the puzzle quite confusing. Instead of the conventional way of solving a twisty puzzle part by part, this puzzle requires a holistic approach.

Compared to the original version, there are the following changes.
    The structure is more open.
    The gears have been simplified.
    The styling and colors are changed.
The new version runs as smoothly as the original. However, it requires some training to have all four balls move at the same time. If you move only one ball, or if you move the second ball in the wrong direction, then the move is blocked.

Watch the YouTube video.
Buy the puzzle at my Shapeways Shop.
Read more at the Shapeways Forum.
Check out the photos below.

Enjoy!

Oskar
Attachment:
Bramboules v6 - prototype - view 1.jpg
Bramboules v6 - prototype - view 1.jpg [ 51.64 KiB | Viewed 2069 times ]

Attachment:
Bramboules v6 - prototype - view 2.jpg
Bramboules v6 - prototype - view 2.jpg [ 50.36 KiB | Viewed 2069 times ]

Attachment:
Bramboules v6 - prototype - view 3.jpg
Bramboules v6 - prototype - view 3.jpg [ 51.16 KiB | Viewed 2069 times ]

Attachment:
Bramboules v6 - prototype - view 4.jpg
Bramboules v6 - prototype - view 4.jpg [ 52.72 KiB | Viewed 2069 times ]

Attachment:
Bramboules v6 - prototype - view 5.jpg
Bramboules v6 - prototype - view 5.jpg [ 45.58 KiB | Viewed 2069 times ]

_________________
Oskar's home page, YouTube, Shapeways Shop, Puzzlemaster, and fan club
Image.


Last edited by Oskar on Sat Apr 16, 2011 1:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Bramboules by BRAM and OSKAR
PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 1:41 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 20, 2009 11:18 pm
Location: HONG KONG
nice puzzle :lol:

_________________
my E-mail: smaz2012@yahoo.com.hk


my website: http://www.iq-puzzle.com.hk/


Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Bramboules by BRAM and OSKAR
PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 2:43 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Sep 24, 2009 12:21 pm
Location: Chichester, England
I really like this puzzle. Good work. ;)

_________________
3x3x3 single: 5.73 seconds.
3x3x3 average of five: 8.92 seconds.
3x3x3 average of twelve: 9.77 seconds.

Buy the Curvy Copter Skewb, NovaMinx, and more here!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Bramboules by BRAM and OSKAR
PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 3:31 am 
Offline

Joined: Mon Aug 18, 2008 10:16 pm
Location: Somewhere Else
Very nice remake!

It looks like you dyed the parts of the balls and glued them together. Did you consider full-color printing on this one? I know it would be more expensive that way, but perhaps you could do some interesting color variations, like gradients or colored bands.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Bramboules by BRAM and OSKAR
PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 4:06 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Nov 30, 2009 1:03 pm
Jared wrote:
Did you consider full-color printing on this one? I know it would be more expensive that way, but perhaps you could do some interesting color variations, like gradients or colored bands.
Hi Jared,

That sounds like a nice idea. I glue the balls before assembling the rest of the puzzle, so solidly-printed balls would work equally well. I hope someone picks up your suggestion.

Oskar

_________________
Oskar's home page, YouTube, Shapeways Shop, Puzzlemaster, and fan club
Image.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Bramboules by BRAM and OSKAR
PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 7:39 am 
Offline

Joined: Sat Mar 22, 2003 9:11 am
Location: Marin, CA
Hey Oskar, thanks for getting this made! It looks like there's quite a bit of friction in this one. Is it possible that giving a little more tolerance between the balls and cage, and/or making only the very tops and bottoms of the cage hold in the ball would reduce the friction? I still maintain that it should be possible to make a version of this one where moving one ball tends to move the whole thing, although the vinyl material has a fair amount of friction to begin with.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Bramboules by BRAM and OSKAR
PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2011 5:55 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Nov 30, 2009 1:03 pm
Bram,
Bram wrote:
It looks like there's quite a bit of friction in this one.
Your observation is incorrect. There is hardly any friction, and certainly not between the balls and the cage. What you see is occasional jamming because of misalignment of the gears. Please do not confuse this for friction.
Bram wrote:
I still maintain that it should be possible to make a version of this one where moving one ball tends to move the whole thing.
The reason why I believe you are wrong, is that if you move one ball, each adjacent ball can move in two directions. As neither of those balls has a reason to chose either direction, they will get stuck in the middle. Try running your car into the middle of a highway bifurcation and see what happens to your car.

Oskar

_________________
Oskar's home page, YouTube, Shapeways Shop, Puzzlemaster, and fan club
Image.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Bramboules by BRAM and OSKAR
PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2011 6:07 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jan 16, 2010 11:48 am
Location: In Front Of My Teraminx (saying WTF?)
Oskar wrote:
Try running your car into the middle of a highway bifurcation and see what happens to your car


Thanks for my new sig :lol: :lol: :lol:

_________________
My Shapeways Shop!
My Designs
My Official Results
My Website on Twisty Puzzles with Gears

Grégoire Pfennig


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Bramboules by BRAM and OSKAR
PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2011 11:49 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jun 03, 2010 2:25 pm
Location: Farmington, NM
Now this should be mass-produced!

_________________
Autism Speaks can go away. I have Autism. I can speak for myself.

"You say tomater, I zader matermorts." - Coach Z


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Bramboules by BRAM and OSKAR
PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2011 12:46 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Mar 22, 2003 9:11 am
Location: Marin, CA
Oskar wrote:
Bram wrote:
I still maintain that it should be possible to make a version of this one where moving one ball tends to move the whole thing.
The reason why I believe you are wrong, is that if you move one ball, each adjacent ball can move in two directions. As neither of those balls has a reason to chose either direction, they will get stuck in the middle. Try running your car into the middle of a highway bifurcation and see what happens to your car.


I'd need to actually play with the prototype to know for sure, but watching the video it appears there are numerous snags which happen at a point inconsistent with that separating being the problem. Also, the previous prototype did a reasonable job of forcing the balls to go one way or the other, and had unrelated snags which were the real problem.

In terms of assembly, did you make the cage be in two parts, with an inside and an outside? If so, it should require some forcing to put together, but it looks like you got it assembled just fine.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Bramboules by BRAM and OSKAR
PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 2:08 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Mar 06, 2009 9:23 pm
Bram wrote:
Oskar wrote:
Bram wrote:
I still maintain that it should be possible to make a version of this one where moving one ball tends to move the whole thing.
The reason why I believe you are wrong, is that if you move one ball, each adjacent ball can move in two directions. As neither of those balls has a reason to chose either direction, they will get stuck in the middle. Try running your car into the middle of a highway bifurcation and see what happens to your car.


I'd need to actually play with the prototype to know for sure, but watching the video it appears there are numerous snags which happen at a point inconsistent with that separating being the problem. Also, the previous prototype did a reasonable job of forcing the balls to go one way or the other, and had unrelated snags which were the real problem.



Oskar, I think the puzzle Bram suggested may be possible. Using two independently moving gears in between each ball instead of a single one could make the difference. Because the axis of rotation between the gears and the balls are not parallel, having two gears should introduce a net tourque on the ball that forces it to choose one of the two possible "paths" (this force is brought about by the different angular velocities in the gears).

It's unlikely that this would work, but it may be possible. I would guess that the sls material has so much friction that it would dwarf the "net torque" but it is just something to think about. To quote Eitan "this should work with a certain level of actuallity removed."


maybe this idea is somehow oddly applied to the polo gears?

_________________
--Eric Vergo

My Shapeways shop


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 5 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Cristhenice, rakaCN, wwwmwww and 10 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  

Forum powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group