Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 2:12 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 215 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Mosaic Cube tension adjustment
PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 11:07 am 

Zzupler wrote:
...If you decide to get this beautiful puzzle i hope you have lots of fun with it!
Yeah, I agree with this. It is a beautiful puzzle. And I really hope, that nobody who wants it has got frightened by this discussion. I can confirm Roxanne that this puzzle improves by playing. At least, I have learnt something new: I've ordered some Blue Tack :lol: (named Blu Tack, but probably the same stuff.)

Thanks for your videos, Zzupler. Your puzzle looks quite OK to me. Maybe, the main difference to Tony's video is, how he firmly holds the major part of, it while turning a layer? :)

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 11:11 am 

If (I am almost completely sure it will) My Mosaic Cube shows up like this, I am going to send it back, claiming a refund or replacement.
I am not going to take it all apart and work on it for hours to get it right. For a production puzzle, this is NOT something that I needs to do myself. This is something you pay for in the price you pay for the puzzle.
I am really disappointed with these news. Meffert's has such a good repuation, but maybe it's starting to turn on them.
I really appreciate the effort he shows in trying to give us SO many new puzzles but come on. If the quality and our experiences has to suffer from it then it is deffinatly not worth it!

-Sigurd

My puzzles in the Museum
My Website
My Youtube Channel

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 11:29 am 

Sigurd wrote:
If (I am almost completely sure it will) My Mosaic Cube shows up like this,
Sigurd, to which video are you refering? Do you agree, that Tony's video shows a reasonable puzzle? All I tried to express, is that this puzzle needs a certain holding technique and Zzupler's puzzle would look not so bad in Tony's hands. :)

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 12:37 pm 

Zzupler - thanks for the videos. I want mine to look like yours. After hearing all the comments on re-assembly - now I'm definately afraid to take it apart.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 1:26 pm 

Cyberdman wrote:
Zzupler - thanks for the videos. I want mine to look like yours. After hearing all the comments on re-assembly - now I'm definately afraid to take it apart.
I think there is a big difference between a normal disassembly / reassembly and taking off the caps. I could do a normal disassembly easily (as I have said above) following Roger's advice: take off the "big edge" (consisting of a centre piece and the two adjacent edges) at once. I could do that without force and put it back without force.
Taking off the caps is a different story.
Have you watched the video Tony has refered to above?
They have not taken out the caps, but Rox has shown that one came off by accident. This will certainly not happen to all eight. :)
Why not try it stepwise?
1. just use a good silicone spray and turn different layers for some time (while you are watching a nice movie on TV e.g.)
(Sometimes, something can help, even if you do not believe in it :) )
2. normal disassembly, cleaning and more lubrication
3. write an email to Uwe, if he can replace yours (because if it has not improved by steps 1 and 2 close to the state of Zzupler's, you have got a really bad one), if he can exchange it against one of the news with caps not glued on.
But please, take all the comments serious about being "squishy" in principle and remember the plain warning in Uwe's Newsletter. (I hope that you recognize that I do not want to frustrate you, but want to be helpful :) )

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 1:53 pm 

I definately consider all comments. Thanks again.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 5:49 pm 

Figured i owed you guys a video with tension adjusted and caps in place....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1QMMMi0Iub8

@cyberdman: as konrad says, if you only take it apart and loosen the tension a tiny bit at a time by pulling and turning the corners it's actually very easy.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 5:08 am 

Zzupler wrote:
Figured i owed you guys a video with tension adjusted and caps in place....
Thanks! Your puzzle turns really well now :D I would say, mine turns very similarly, maybe, yours is a tiny bit better.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 11:39 am 

Alright, mine is just like the rest. I am sending it back... :(

My puzzles in the Museum
My Website
My Youtube Channel

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 1:21 pm 

Got the Mosaic cube yesterday, now I can add my piece to the puzzle.
Thanks to all people, who contributed to the discussion here, my expectations weren’t very high. At the beginning I spent a couple of hours turning big and small corners randomly. Then an edge piece came out. Instead of putting it back, I disassembled the puzzle. Pieces are smooth, lube practically imperceptible. Corners have some freedom on axes, just a tiny bit.
Thanks go to Rox for the assembly process video, because fitting the last piece you need some confidence. It is possible to start disassembly when big corner is rotated 60 degrees by pushing two edges contrariwise. Turning quality is similar as in Zzupler’s video. Once aligned puzzle stays in cubic shape.
In general it is a nice looking however self-willed puzzle for accommodating puzzle enthusiasts.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 3:56 pm 

Well, I can't help it. I'm exhausted from reading all the comments about this puzzle. But I feel compelled to comment.

I love Mefferts. They have taken significant financial risks over the years to serve, what we should all admit, is a rather limited market. For those of you who are too young to remember, Uwe Meffert was the one who purchased the Hungarian molds to re-introduce the Dogic, and he made them affordable for the first time.

With the introduction of the Jade Club, Meffert's has stepped up their introduction of new puzzles. I can tell you that mass-producing new devices containing precision parts at low cost can be an extremely challenging endeavor. I have tremendous respect for people who are willing to take a financial risk like this. Over the years, Mefferts products have brought me a lot of joy.

I'm experiencing the same issues with the Mosaic Cube as everyone else is. As a matter of fact, one of my pieces broke. I sent a message to them, and I'm sure that they will make it right.

But you can be sure that this one problem is not going to make me abandon this fine company. I hope they will continue to bring us new complex and beautiful designs, and I hope they are prosperous and satisfied in the process.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2011 10:07 am 

Carter wrote:
Well, I can't help it. I'm exhausted from reading all the comments about this puzzle. But I feel compelled to comment.

I love Mefferts. They have taken significant financial risks over the years to serve, what we should all admit, is a rather limited market. For those of you who are too young to remember, Uwe Meffert was the one who purchased the Hungarian molds to re-introduce the Dogic, and he made them affordable for the first time.

With the introduction of the Jade Club, Meffert's has stepped up their introduction of new puzzles. I can tell you that mass-producing new devices containing precision parts at low cost can be an extremely challenging endeavor. I have tremendous respect for people who are willing to take a financial risk like this. Over the years, Mefferts products have brought me a lot of joy.

I'm experiencing the same issues with the Mosaic Cube as everyone else is. As a matter of fact, one of my pieces broke. I sent a message to them, and I'm sure that they will make it right.

But you can be sure that this one problem is not going to make me abandon this fine company. I hope they will continue to bring us new complex and beautiful designs, and I hope they are prosperous and satisfied in the process.
This is what I like to see. I'm sick of reading comments where people think Uwe is trying to rip them off. It's not like anything he's done in the past, and it's very unlikely that he'd change now. I've always been a fan of the puzzles he puts out, and he DOES put puzzles out. He's one of the main sources of NEW puzzles. I think people forget that sometimes. Who put out the Pillowed Mastermorphix (which had KOs made before it's release, even D:)? Mefferts. And I've never seen anyone who didn't like their pillowed mastermorphix. Some of the best puzzles come from mefferts, Pyraminx Crystal? Mefferts. Kilominx? Mefferts. Who's probably going to be releasing some form of FTI in the future? Mefferts.

3x3x3 PB: 00:48.10
"Study gravitation, it's a field with a lot of potential."

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2011 11:07 am 

theVDude wrote:
I'm sick of reading comments where people think Uwe is trying to rip them off. It's not like anything he's done in the past, and it's very unlikely that he'd change now. I've always been a fan of the puzzles he puts out, and he DOES put puzzles out. He's one of the main sources of NEW puzzles. I think people forget that sometimes. Who put out the Pillowed Mastermorphix (which had KOs made before it's release, even D:)? Mefferts. And I've never seen anyone who didn't like their pillowed mastermorphix. Some of the best puzzles come from mefferts, Pyraminx Crystal? Mefferts. Kilominx? Mefferts. Who's probably going to be releasing some form of FTI in the future? Mefferts.
Oh, please...don't bring the discussion back, cause I'm also sick of people that brag Mefferts for every puzzle he's putting out and calling it amazing no matter if it really is amazing or not. The same goes for statements like "join the Jade Club for free, but it costs 40$" or taking money from the people one year before they were able to actually send the puzzles...and there are also other examples, but I'll stop.

Nobody said this company doesn't have great merits in the puzzle history or that everything is crap. No, Mefferts is a great puzzle maker! But let's admit it: they have positive, but also negative sides. This Mosaic puzzle seems to be one of the negatives, if you read the comments of several different people. Most of us were just complaining about this puzzle and we had the feeling some people here were trying to convince us that we actually have a great puzzle and we don't see this. Don't look at things only in black or white. I won't continue on this.

Coming back to the Mosaic puzzle. I took it apart, made some inner mod without a notable improvement. :) Solving is quite easy, but funny. After studying the inside of the puzzle, half assembled I think I found out what's the reason for the missalignement. I'm quite sure it's because the center pieces (those little 4) are too small. If you look carefully at the aligned puzzle, there is too much free space between those pieces so as soon as you turn a side or two, those will slip into those free spaces and become squishy. Unfortunately this is not something we can repair as we should add material, not remove it :). If you do that to the centers of a normal rubik's cube, it will become the same. I know from experience So, some pieces were made too small, leaving distance between them, making the puzzle unstable.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2011 11:24 am 

He never actually called it amazing. We are all aware (except for a few VERY lucky people) that many of the fantastic puzzles Meffert's releases don't turn spectacularly. However, they do turn in the first place.

Honestly, who expected to own a Fadi cube for less than the Shapeways cost? A professor pyraminx? A trignis?

Who knows what he'll release next, but it's guaranteed to be something you didn't expect to ever own. Granted, many can't afford all he releases, however the fact still remains that he does release them. It would be silly to shoot him down for releasing puzzles that turn worse than you should like, when you never could have expected to own one without him.

Maybe not you specifically, I don't know how rich you are, but I'm sure I'm one among many who could never afford Timur and Oskar's creations.

Also, I'm sorry to hear that there isn't a performance mod possible.

(I'm not trying to attack you here, only defend Uwe)

I don't know half of you half as well as I should like and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2011 10:16 pm 

I think we've had a lot of differing views expressed on this matter but I'm not sure we're adding much with further posts. Few, as it turns out lately, add much to the issue of tension adjustment with the exception of Radu's notes on inner piece sizing.

It's understandable people are getting puzzles displaying differing degrees of problems, so we can't expect any one review to negate the experiences of others. It is true that Meffert has a long history of supporting the puzzling community and producing high quality puzzles. It is pretty obvious that this puzzle has quality problems and this thread was about dealing with them.

Some will find them acceptable, some unacceptable and all are welcome to their opinion. But I don't think trying to convince each other is working, so let's stop trying.

Further discussion on the technical topic of tension adjustment is welcome.

Dave :)

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2011 10:19 pm 

I think the problem originates from the edge pieces. They seem to be a bit too large, and it appears that their resting position (the position most cubic that provides the least tension) is slightly offset.

Loosening the tensions covers up the problem, but doesn't remove the fact that the edge pieces are too large. Tensioning, in addition, also adds to the amount of pops.

I don't know half of you half as well as I should like and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 6:47 am 

Quote:
NType3 wrote:
I think the problem originates from the edge pieces. They seem to be a bit too large, and it appears that their resting position (the position most cubic that provides the least tension) is slightly offset.

Loosening the tensions covers up the problem, but doesn't remove the fact that the edge pieces are too large. Tensioning, in addition, also adds to the amount of pops.

Are you going to try to sand them down to fix the puzzle?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 7:08 am 

The more I tinker with mine the worse it gets. It is to the point where I am no longer sure if the damage was there to start with or if I'm causing it by tinkering. My puzzle is no longer usable for anything other than displaying on a shelf. I wish I had never taken it apart to begin with. As soon as Meffert’s gets these back in stock I’m going to order another one and use this one as spare parts.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 8:54 am 

I finally got mine yesterday, and am inclined to agree with Konrad. Mine moved fairly well and after some play stayed fairly cubic without any adjustments at all. It's much better after being adjusted, without a doubt, but I had no issues with it how it came except the lube.

D: I'll be taking it apart again, cleaning the pieces off, and lubing it with my stuff today. That should turn this from good puzzle to great puzzle at least, and I think I will tighten it a bit more because it's way too loose now.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 8:55 am 

I want to add another voice in support of less intrusive solutions. My Mosaic looked awful fresh out of the box. It refused to hold a clean cube shape, it slipped out of alignment during many turns in such a way as to block a full move, and it was generally a real mess to work with. I tried two rounds of disassembly (WITHOUT popping off the caps) and pulling/twisting to loosen the screws just a bit. After that, it still wasn't perfect, but it did hold together and turn with relative ease. Since then, I have worked with it, turning each large and small corner, and occasionally smoothing the puzzle by tapping its flat surfaces against a tabletop. It is now a much more cooperative cube, and a genuinely beautiful piece. Some instability is inherent in the design, but I can now enjoy it without being distracted by its strange tightness. This may not work for everyone, but it did transform a cube that I initially considered returning (the ONLY Mefferts puzzle that I have ever considered sending back) into one that I really like.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 9:39 am 

I received my Mosaic Cube yesterday as well. It was highly distorted fresh out of the box. I've done 3 scrambles+solves to try and loosen it, and I was fighting the cube on almost every turn. Moves catch a lot and I often have to turn the opposite direction x2 or rock the piece back and forth to get help realignment. I am quite disappointed but I'll try a few more solves before I retire it as an expensive paperweight.

I did figure out a nice trick to return it to cubic shape without a table. "Just" turn 2 opposite large slices.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 9:39 am 

isearch12 wrote:
Are you going to try to sand them down to fix the puzzle?
Am I going to? No. Too valuable of a puzzle to me.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 2:12 pm 

GuiltyBystander wrote:
I received my Mosaic Cube yesterday as well. It was highly distorted fresh out of the box. I've done 3 scrambles+solves to try and loosen it, and I was fighting the cube on almost every turn. Moves catch a lot and I often have to turn the opposite direction x2 or rock the piece back and forth to get help realignment. I am quite disappointed but I'll try a few more solves before I retire it as an expensive paperweight.

I did figure out a nice trick to return it to cubic shape without a table. "Just" turn 2 opposite large slices.

I had very little trouble getting the caps off (could only get 7 off, only lost one 'leg') and loosen it. If you don't break the legs off, you can gently push them so they point to the center of the cap, then put them back on. Otherwise, break off all the legs (I did this) and use paper or blutack or glue to put them back on.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 3:44 pm 

theVDude wrote:
I had very little trouble getting the caps off (could only get 7 off, only lost one 'leg') and loosen it. If you don't break the legs off, you can gently push them so they point to the center of the cap, then put them back on. Otherwise, break off all the legs (I did this) and use paper or blutack or glue to put them back on.
I tried pulling on the corners a bit, but after reading a few of the other horror stories in this thread, I'm a bit hesitant. I'm going to try breaking it in a tad more before pulling on it harder.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 5:33 pm 

It seems that this puzzle suffers from a condition I'd like to call "Spongy Mech." Another mostly forgotten puzzle by Mefferts that suffered from this condition was the Flower Kilominx. The Flower Minx had a very similar spongy feel to it, with misalignment of the corners common. I believe that the problem with that puzzle was either the core or the edges was slightly too small, or perhaps the corners may have been too large. Fortunately for that puzzle, the tension screws were easily visible just beneath the open face centers. I believe the Flowerminx used Megaminx-like core and centers, Pyraminx Crystal edges, with brand new redesigned corner parts. This caused a slight tolerance error somewhere in the puzzle, perhaps a millimeter or so, giving it a spongy feel. Out of the box, you could squeeze it, and the corners would deform a little bit. Force-twisting a misaligned face could also cause an internal edge to pop out as well. I believe I tightened all twelve screws, about a quarter turn at a time, until the turning was decent. Aside from tuning issues, the simple solution to the misaligned faces problem was to simply slap the puzzle on a table with the face you wanted to turn pointing down.

The mosaic cube appears to suffer from the same "spongy mech" condition that I described earlier, only much, much worse. My mosaic cube came in a jumbled shape with some pieces sticking out further than others, just like the other pictures in this thread. As the mosaic cube is built upon an octahedronal core, there are actually four faces about a corner rather than three (the octahedron corners are the tiny holes inside the face centers). The problem I believe is exacerbated by the octahedronal design: the fact that there are four rotational axes about an octahedron corner (cube center) rather than three like a cube or dodecahedron, allows the rotational axes to act like gears: rotate one corner clockwise, the three corners next to it tend to rotate counterclockwise. The slight offset of the adjacent corners then binds up the corner you are attempting to move. I have found oftentimes when this happens that if a corner binds when I try to turn it in a specific direction, it is often easier to rotate it twice in the opposite direction than to try to continue to force it in the intended direction.

People have also said that loosening the tension will help it stay in it's proper shape, but the difficult movement seems to stem from misalignment, not over tightness. Loosening the puzzle seems counterintuitive to me. It is very easy for edges to pop out during a stubborn rotation of the large corner, and I would imagine loosening the puzzle, even if it helped retain a cubic shape, would make edge pops out even more. I also have found one edge piece that disassembled due to a stripped screw. Like some of the parts in the Vulcano puzzle, the wings on many of the pieces are attached by screws due to necessity by injection mold limitations. I recommend checking all of your edges for loose screws. If the screw threads are stripped, a drop of Super Glue will do the joint some good. I also had to repair one little edge part on my Vulcano puzzle this way.

Radu wrote:
After studying the inside of the puzzle, half assembled I think I found out what's the reason for the missalignement. I'm quite sure it's because the center pieces (those little 4) are too small.
I seem to agree here that something within the puzzle is the wrong size or tolerance. I initially thought that the core was too small, and the tension on the springs was causing the parts to bunch up. If that was the case, then pending complete disassembly of the puzzle, one could possibly apply a tiny M3 washer along each axle between the core and corner. But now that you mention the center bridges, there is a lot of gap between the center squares. However, it may not be technically possible to completely close that gap without making the faces bind. I'm sure Meffert has thought of this. He did say that this puzzle was very challenging to design.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 1:05 pm 

When dreams meet reality....

(Please note that there is not a single word from me, except a little bit framework. I do not want to start an argument again, but it may be worthwhile, to have a look at these quotes, especially the last one.)

Some quotes from July 2009 about Oskar's announcement of the Fadi Cube:
Georges wrote:
Well done Oskar!
I like it.
reeeech wrote:
Wow!!!
I think one day he will make a real life version of the Hellraiser's cube! :shock: :shock: :shock:
juanan wrote:
Mr Oskar V.D. non stop

Congrats...

When we could play with this puzzles (redi, fadi ....) ?

…
solucions wrote:
It is very nice. I like. :shock:
flambore wrote:
These two puzzles are amazing! I can't believe the rate you guys are turning out puzzles these days. It seems like every other day there's a new one out by Oskar, Bram, Calzone, or a number of other guys around here. Well done!
Namegoeswhere wrote:
I watch Oskar's shapeways account regularly and these two puzzles I really looked forward to seeing, the turning also seem very nice, outstanding puzzles!
Frank Tiex wrote:
Incredible design again.
Fantastic!
Kapusta wrote:
…
You're unbelievable, Oskar.
cubervietnam wrote:
Oh-my-GOD!!!!
These puzzles look amazing :shock:
Alokin wrote:
Nice puzzle :)
Wish I could get one like that :P…

This is Oskar's statement (quoted from an Email from Oskar):
Oskar wrote:
Oskar: Feel free to quote about the comparison.
Question from Konrad: How would you compare the turning quality of Fadi and Mosaic?
Oskar's answer: Mosaic Cube turns much better than Fadi Cube. Unlike Fadi Cube, it never pops. My niece and nephew played with it for an hour. I heard no complaints. Of course, they are not speed cubers, so they may have a different expectation level.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 6:48 pm 

stardust4ever wrote:
It seems that this puzzle suffers from a condition I'd like to call "Spongy Mech."

I just got my Mosaic cube today :D
I have to agree with stardust4ever it does suffer from spongy mech.. But maybe its more squishy than spongy. My cube squishes and then stays like that. Spongy seems to imply it will squish and then rebound when the pressure is released.
Now I really do like the cube, my gf Donna also likes it a lot, Donna has no problem turning it and has done a good job scrambling it . I who seems to have a problem turning it, popped two edge and one center piece while solving it. I do not know the original orientation of the pieces and i just popped them back in.
My question to you all is-- Do I continue my solve or do I take the cube apart and put it back together correctly and know it is solvable? :?

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 7:32 pm 

Reassemble it correctly and then rescramble it. I solved it intuitively, it's not that hard. A bit of lube helped mine to turn without crushing as much. I put it on a flat surface to turn and push down on it with my finger across the top. This helps maintain the shape. Nice cube.

I would rather have it like this than it not be made. Still, looking at the mechanism I think some kind of internal plastic ball might help it maintain its shape for hand turning. Slipped over the core and fitting snug under the pieces. Just a thought.

Actually, come to think of it, it shouldn't be popping. You might want to check that the screwed pieces haven't come apart (most of the pieces are two parts screwed together). A few of mine were broken in the screw shaft and it caused mine to `pop`. I had to glue them in. They're fine now. Perhaps they should glue them in the factory.

Burgo.

Attachments:
File comment: This is how I hold it on a table to help it maintain its shape.
holding-mosaic.gif
holding-mosaic.gif [ 15.62 KiB | Viewed 6853 times ]
File comment: It's the only cube I have that does this... without being incorrectly assembled!
mosaic-cube.gif
mosaic-cube.gif [ 27.07 KiB | Viewed 6857 times ]

PB 3x3 55sec Jan 2011 (When I was a kid 1:30 was speedcubing so I'm stoked).
1st 3x3 Earth (nemesis) solve Jan 2011 My You Tube (Now has ALLCrazy 3X3 Planets with Reduction)

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 3:13 pm 

:lol: the twisted corner is one of the first things I did after solving it. Still trying to come up with some sort of snake pattern for it. D:

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 3:06 am 

The twisted corner was what I got on my first solve. And I'm like, ` :shock: Oooh no, I got some sort of parity, how am I gunna do this.` But it was easy to amend :lol: .

Burgo.

1st 3x3 Earth (nemesis) solve Jan 2011 My You Tube (Now has ALLCrazy 3X3 Planets with Reduction)

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 2:21 am 

Every small corner twist does a three-cycle of edges. Since performing three-cycle algorithms does not break parity, it can easily be fixed.

To twist the upper right corner clockwise:

L' r L r L' r L r

Where "L" is the large section upper front left corner, and "r" is the small section upper front right corner.

Concerning reassembly of a popped cube, being based on octahedral geometry, there are two distinct sets of interchangeable edges. An edge from one set cannot be interchanged with an edge from the other set. Also, the centers cannot be flipped. Either of these conditions will cause unsolvable parity.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 1:38 am 

OK, That's neater than what I did. I just spun the corner around (with R) until it was correctly orientated and then fixed the rest with edge `3 cycles`. I wasn't planning anything though, just smashing through it on the first solve with barbarian abandon!

Thanks for the tip.
Burgo.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 7:07 am 

Ok, I thought I would share my experience with the Mosaic cube. First, when I received it, it was in the same distorted shape that everyone was complaining about. The stickers were okay (unlike my volcano puzzle :evil: ). I read this forum and decided not to take mine apart, but instead just play with it a some and see what happens. Well, after scrambling it only ONCE and not forcing any turns a corner piece fell off, then an edge piece BROKE. The entire puzzle fell apart in my hands. I am more than a little upset by this.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 12:36 pm 

The edge pieces are held together with screws. It's likely the threads stripped or something like that. Use threadlocker or superglue to put it back together.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 3:37 pm 

theVDude wrote:
The edge pieces are held together with screws. It's likely the threads stripped or something like that.

I have had two of my edge pieces break so far and I used Super Glue to put them back together. Something I did notice is that even when you tighten the screw as far as it will go there is still some amount of movement between the two pieces. I don't know if this is by design or a mistake with tolerances. Therefore I don't know if gluing these together so that the two part are rigid instead of allowing that small amount of movement is bad or not.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 7:59 pm 

This looks promising for both spongy puzzles AND anybody who cracked their core.

Somebody should protoype this, thanks Oskar!

I know that you already payed $42 for the mosaic cube, but this may greatly increase "playability" if you are planning on solving alot.

Past project: The Geode
Current Project: Replica RPK-74
Future Project: Possibly another master mental
Oskar wrote:
I am now adding dummy cubes to my models to cross the 10% density threshold and save myself money big time.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 8:36 am 

Hello,

I am experiencing the same problems as you. Here I attach a picture of my cube as coming from Meffert's.

Attachment:
IMG_0291.JPG
IMG_0291.JPG [ 1.81 MiB | Viewed 6417 times ]

I think the solution is much simpler than we think. We have to put a few washers on the screws of the core to push a little to the outside corners. Thus we can tighten the screws without the puzzle cube out of shape and preventing it pops.

Attachment:
IMG_0298.JPG
IMG_0298.JPG [ 1.48 MiB | Viewed 6417 times ]

Now I haven't enough washers, so when buying them these days and try my possible solution I'll post back the results obtained.

Good luck to all

P.D.: Sorry for my english. I'm from Spain.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 8:02 am 

It works!

Attachment:
IMG_0306.JPG
IMG_0306.JPG [ 1.48 MiB | Viewed 6368 times ]

There is another problem: a couple of screws are crooked, so I will have to be replaced by others who are straight.

The hub returns to its cubic shape and turns very well. Also, do not pops.

If after that lubricates it certainly improves even more.

I hope you like.

Within minutes I put a video. Be patient.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 8:05 am 

Video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vq9RdOk0tZo

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 8:53 am 

¡Gracias Antonio!

I can't believe it was so easy, I might be getting one after all :D

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 9:40 am 

cisco wrote:
¡Gracias Antonio!

I can't believe it was so easy, I might be getting one after all :D

Imposible to be easier!!!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 1:09 pm 

The washers repair is quite convincing. After, it also won't be to loose.
It seems to me that some tolerance was estimated wrong or the design just got this little mistake by someone. Well your cube looks just like what I would expect from a meffert's puzzle. Really great!
And now look at this little cube and tell me: Can you really be angry at such a little cube? Ok it has this design flaw. And it's causing big trouble if not cared for. But : NOOOO :roll: :)
The mosaic cube just seems to be need extra attention at first but when you treat it the way it wants it is your best friend. :lol:
Seriously I think everyone who was angry should forgive Uwe. This puzzle is cool.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 9:44 am 

How did you take apart the center caps?

Nice solution! VERY nice!

Should I say "simple and classy"? haha!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 9:56 am 

I used a screwdriver or knife to scrape the union. Is attached with glue.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 4:36 pm 

antoniofr wrote:
I used a screwdriver or knife to scrape the union. Is attached with glue.

Brilliant, thanks for your easy and simple solution which help us a lot.
Please PM me your shipping address, I shall post you 2 mosaic cubes as our thankfulness when my new stock arrived. :wink:

- from Hong Kong

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 5:08 pm 

excalvin wrote:
Brilliant, thanks for your easy and simple solution which help us a lot.
Please PM me your shipping address, I shall post you 2 mosaic cubes as our thankfulness when my new stock arrived. :wink:

Thank you very much, Calvin!!! I send you a PM with my shipping address.

I'm happy to help everybody.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 4:46 pm 

I've received my puzzle and have experienced the same issues as well as something new?

After adjusting the tension to make the puzzle turn more smoothly and "fit together" better, this happened:

This is an edge piece...the inside post that is supposed to be attached to the other half of the edge peice broke off after turning the puzzle...keep in mind this was not immediate, but after breaking in for about 5 minutes...

This shows the other half still stuck in the puzzle after coming apart....

This is one of the caps that had broken posts when trying to remove them from the screw area...

Any chance Meffert's would send me replacement pieces for this?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 8:59 pm 

Yes! Meffert's always sends replacements for defective pieces, so long as you ask nicely :lol:

Email support@mefferts.com

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 7:32 am 

No he doesn't. I haven't received mine, and won't, after 4 or 5 emails, 2 or 3 pictures and 6 or 7 months.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 9:46 am 

antoniofr wrote:
I think the solution is much simpler than we think. We have to put a few washers on the screws of the core to push a little to the outside corners. Thus we can tighten the screws without the puzzle cube out of shape and preventing it pops.
How thick are the washers?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 215 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next