Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Wed Jul 23, 2014 11:51 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 233 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
 Post subject: Re: 17X17X17!! BY: OSKAR VAN DEVENTER!!
PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 8:16 pm 

Now that I am not at school anymore, I have some time to actually type out my 2 cents worth.

First of all, amazing job Oskar. I have a new favorite puzzle.

Second of all Oskar, I would really like to know if somebody could record the New York Puzzle event and post it on Youtube. Just a thought, because I am very intrigued to know what is going to happen there.

Oskar, do you plan to patent this mechanism? Do you plan to go higher? Do you plan to go even-layered? Do you plan to make something smaller? (legal 11x11x11)

I love the cubic version. It looks very nice, so nice that I thought that the pictures from your shop were CAD screenshots :lol:

Can you also tell us how hard this was to assemble? And how stable it it? Or must that wait until after New York... Whatever you tell us would be fantastic.

I hope that somebody makes a stickered version also, but the dyed version is probably the only reasonable way to do this.

Thank you Claus for taking the huge step of prototyping this, and thank you Shapeways for making this possible as well.

Sorry for all my questions, just curious.

Adam

Past project: The Geode
Current Project: Replica RPK-74
Future Project: Possibly another master mental
Oskar wrote:
I am now adding dummy cubes to my models to cross the 10% density threshold and save myself money big time.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 9:17 pm 

This is really incredible!!!!
Finally something to take an entire week to solve, without stops... hahaha
Congratulations Oskar!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 9:54 pm 

Kelvin Stott wrote:
I guess a stickered version would be too much to ask! :lol:

Just order it in WSF, dye it black, assemble, and paint the sides with nail varnish. I did that with my mf8 Teraminx. No regrets! :mrgreen:

How well is the turning on it? My understanding was the mushy prototype didn't turn well at all. Congrats also on hollowing this baby out. Could somebody maybe tell be exactly how wide the layers are? Compairing it to a Rubik's cube and/or Rubik's keychain would be more insightful...

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 9:56 pm 

I'll do the stickering, if I don't have to pay for anything.

Moderator for Puzzling Stack Exchange - a new site for specific puzzling questions!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 10:30 pm 

Quote:
3D Prints 17x17x17 working mechanical puzzle at Shapeways.com.

New York - Shapeways, the online community and marketplace for personalized production using 3D printing, is excited to announce that internationally renowned puzzle designer and long-time Shapeways community member Oskar van Deventer has achieved an unofficial world record with the creation of his 17x17x17 twisty puzzle 3D printed at Shapeways.com.

The previous record was held by Leslie Lie from China for his 12x12x12 cube.

“When I heard about the world records being set for Rubik’s Cubes, like the 7x7x7, 9x9x9 and 11x11x11 created by Panagiotis Verdes from Greece, and Lie from China for his 12x12x12, I wanted to try to set a new record myself,” says Oskar van Deventer.
Read More:
http://www.pddnet.com/news-shapeways-th ... ts-012711/

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 10:43 pm 

This gives me an idea... QUICK! TO SOLIDWORKS!!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 11:05 pm 

stardust4ever wrote:
Kelvin Stott wrote:

Just order it in WSF, dye it black, assemble, and paint the sides with nail varnish. I did that with my mf8 Teraminx. No regrets! :mrgreen:

A stickered version would be very straightforward. Just order it in black and super glue them on. No nail varnish required.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 11:06 pm 

I may be belated but this is an amazing feat for Oskar and it is an amazing feat for complex puzzles like Over the Top, to be created and shows how anything can come true once you work hard enough :wink: :D Congrats Oskar and Clause for this amazing puzzle! :D
I wish I could think up of one mech for a 25x25x25 ;)

RubixFreakGreg wrote:
Actually in your hand it feels the right size :)

That's what she said :D

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 2:06 am 

Tony Fisher wrote:
stardust4ever wrote:
Kelvin Stott wrote:

A stickered version would be very straightforward. Just order it in black and super glue them on. No nail varnish required.

Oh yeah, you could just stick the 1,734 stickers on with glue. I wish I had thought of that. Thanks! :D

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 3:26 am 

oskk gets mentioned on gizmodo today...a really nice pic too

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 6:34 am 

Kelvin Stott wrote:
Oh yeah, you could just stick the 1,734 stickers on with glue. I wish I had thought of that. Thanks! :D

You kids these days! You don't know your born. That's not even equivalent to 10 Rhomballs. It would all be easy shapes to hand cut and just a few days work to apply. No complex colour schemes to keep track of either.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 7:55 am 

Tony Fisher wrote:
Kelvin Stott wrote:

You kids these days! You don't know your born. That's not even equivalent to 10 Rhomballs. It would all be easy shapes to hand cut and just a few days work to apply. No complex colour schemes to keep track of either.

:shock:
Now you *must* be joking!! :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 8:05 am 

If anyone makes a stickered version, one should make it a "super cube" right from the beginning, that would make solving a bit harder.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 8:07 am 

Tony Fisher wrote:
Kelvin Stott wrote:

I think tony has stickered the equivalence to at least a dozen of these in his puzzle building campaign :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 8:09 am 

ortwin wrote:
If anyone makes a stickered version, one should make it a "super cube" right from the beginning, that would make solving a bit harder.

Imagine it with pictures. The same one on each side but at very slightly different angles.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 8:10 am 

ortwin wrote:
... and may as well add some internal bandaging, in case it's still too easy. :D

Tony Fisher wrote:
Imagine it with pictures. The same one on each side but at very slightly different angles.
You could probably make some really nice pictures anyway, with all those "pixels". :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 8:36 am 

Attachment:
17654.jpg
17654.jpg [ 27.75 KiB | Viewed 3008 times ]

How about a picture like THIS one on each side? :lol:

Past project: The Geode
Current Project: Replica RPK-74
Future Project: Possibly another master mental
Oskar wrote:
I am now adding dummy cubes to my models to cross the 10% density threshold and save myself money big time.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 8:49 am 

Congrtulations. This is incrediblely big. Im looking forward to another video.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 10:27 am 

Sharon wrote:
wwwmwww wrote:
At $2000 I don't see myself ever owning this beast get it down to $200-$300 and I'd LOVE to have one... even if I had to put it together myself.
I dont think it will ever go down to $200-$300 lol.. but I got the same hopes =)
If you calculate the price per piece of the V7 and assume it's the same for the 17x17x17, it would cost about $292. So there is hope for that price range, but I doubt the market is big enough for it to be mass produced.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 11:09 am 

We WILL see a fully colored (if not stickered) version, right?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 11:54 am 

GuiltyBystander wrote:
Sharon wrote:
wwwmwww wrote:
At $2000 I don't see myself ever owning this beast get it down to $200-$300 and I'd LOVE to have one... even if I had to put it together myself.
I dont think it will ever go down to $200-$300 lol.. but I got the same hopes =)
If you calculate the price per piece of the V7 and assume it's the same for the 17x17x17, it would cost about $292. So there is hope for that price range, but I doubt the market is big enough for it to be mass produced.

However, some pieces are much larger than on the V-7 and others are very complex. I don't think a direct price-per-piece is the way to calculate it.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 12:29 pm 

Rentlix wrote:
GuiltyBystander wrote:
However, some pieces are much larger than on the V-7 and others are very complex. I don't think a direct price-per-piece is the way to calculate it.
I think it's a reasonable estimate. The pieces don't look that complicated (he's not using the binary mech anymore). And isn't the raw plastic for the puzzle relatively cheap? I don't think size of the puzzle is a huge part of the cost. I'll agree that it would increase the cost, but I'd guess it'd be no more than $400.
What's your estimate then?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 8:24 pm 

Over the Top 17x17x17 on gizmodo

Thought I would post this here (maybe it deserves a new thread) but I though I should let all of you know that Oskars 17x17x17 has been posted on gizmodo. Please digg the article(http://digg.com/news/gaming/try_and_sol ... f_you_dare). We need to generate as much publicity as possible.

My Shapeways shop

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 12:18 am 

I'm disappointed Rubik's name got stuck on there. It's not related to the Rubik's company or Erno himself, and the misconception that all twisty puzzles are Rubik's Cubes has to be one of my biggest pet peeves. I can only wonder how much money this thing drained from prototyping.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 1:21 am 

Its also mentioned at Gizmodo. Ever since i saw this, i wondered if it as better then previous version.

Edit: Someone already mentioned it.

"Cheap cube is not great. Great cube is not cheap."

I'm with Frank

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 1:57 am 

People are talking about a fully stickered version but I think just stickering the edges and corners would be nice. & it would have the same effect as all the other pieces are dyed.

Tony Fisher wrote:
MaCheezm0 wrote:
2nd layer using Fisher parts

I very much hope you mean Fisher Cube parts.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 6:18 am 

This reply on Gizmondo really gave me a good laugh :lol:
Quote:
Oskar van Deventer? Was he born in a science lab, delivered by a robot run on crystals and watch parts?

Which reminds me of how Top Gear introduces the Stig.

Some say he doesn't have to abide the laws of science, others say he breaks the universe.
All we know is... he's called Oskar van Deventer.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 6:40 am 

Rentlix wrote:
I'm disappointed Rubik's name got stuck on there. It's not related to the Rubik's company or Erno himself, and the misconception that all twisty puzzles are Rubik's Cubes has to be one of my biggest pet peeves. I can only wonder how much money this thing drained from prototyping.

Language evolves over time (or we would still be grunting at each other). Slang and mistakes are carried forward and eventually make it into dictionaries. 'Rubik's Cube' now means a lot more than a 3x3x3 magic cube produced by Erno Rubik. In popular speech it now means any puzzle similar. In addition 'Cube' is a shortened version of the same. Meaning if someone makes a twisty puzzle in the shape of a kangaroo, it is perfectly acceptable to say "Hey, nice Cube".
And of course on the internet it makes searching a lot easier.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 3:06 pm 

GuiltyBystander wrote:
Rentlix wrote:
GuiltyBystander wrote:
I think it's a reasonable estimate.
Me too. How much of the cost of a V7 is the labor to assemble it? I'm be willing to take the 17x17x17 in kit form. I wouldn't be surprised if that would save half the cost.

Carl

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 10:47 pm 

Okay, I have sorta "skimmed" this thread and I'm still wondering why the v-mech didn't work on this. Though I'm quite satisfied that it worked without it, but I am just curious.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 1:42 pm 

It would just be too lose. There would be a gap between the outer layers and the second layers.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 1:49 pm 

Location: USA, North America, Planet Earth, Solar system, Milky Way galaxy, Universe
In one of the 'big cubes' threads, it was said that the V-mech would not be stable on cubes where the ratio of the 'wide' outer layer to the inner layers exceeds 2:1. I'm not sure why this is. I leave the math up to the experts :wink:

By the way I find this mech really interesting, is it feasible to apply it to a lower-level cube (say, a v-7)? I'd personally love to see one.

NEW VIDEOS-
3x3x3 stop-motion solve
Meffert's new Pyraminx Crystal solve
QJ 4x4x4 solve

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 2:08 pm 

Oskar wrote:
Sorry, the video has to wait until the New York Puzzle Party Symposium ("by invitation only") on 12 February, where I shall present the full story (including Claus' epic prototyping efforts) and the working puzzle

One moment... when is again the end of the world? 2012, or... February 12?

:shock: :lol:

Legendary achievement!

Pantazis

Educational R&D, Gravity, 4D Symmetry, Puzzle Ninja, Matrix Mech, Alien Technology.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 233 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5