Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Mon Apr 21, 2014 5:42 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 233 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: 17X17X17!! BY: OSKAR VAN DEVENTER!!
PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2010 6:00 am 

If you redesign the puzzle twice as large then I am sure many things can be achieved. Just upscaling the STL's by a factor of two might not be a good idea though because it will be really bad on the tolerances (with this many layers, many tiny gaps will add up).

Personally, I wouldn't consider FDM for a project of this complexity for a second. incredible's printer uses 0.25mm layers whereas Oskar describes TNO's SLS service with 0.15mm layers as barely usable (Shapeways offers 0.10mm layers).
At this price point, it pays to look at different vendors to find the best price. Maybe you could look into using a different printing technique such as SLA. SLA has the potential to provide much smoother pieces and even thinner layers.

Buy my mass produced puzzles at Mefferts:
- 4x4x6 Cuboid for just $38
- Curvy Copter for just $18
- 3x4x5 Cuboid for just $34

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2010 7:39 am 

clauswe wrote:
And this is one of the mayor problems.

Good. Only the mayor problem's. That means Barrack Obama might not deal with it.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
You meant "major," didn't you?

2 invites to Jade club
PM me for invite

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2010 8:10 am 

I am looking at the pieces of you 17x17. Your design has a flaw. The flaw is pretty big also. I don't know what type of mechanism you used, but there is something wrong with the pice in the picture. If you used v-mech, it is clear that you did not make the rivet large enough. Therefore, it looks like to me that you have about 1-2 mm holding in the rest of the mechanism. This is a problem because if that 1-2 mm rivet is overlapped at any point, the entire edge will explode. A solution for this would to be to make the rivet a lot larger. Even if the rivet goes past the first or second piece (which it should), you can make the mechanism work by having the piece go out and around the mechanism. If I am to confusing for you, don't hesitate to ask for a digram. Hopefully this helped.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2010 9:14 am 

I personally think that the sphere core will help the most. That way, if the pieces try to move from where you intend them to move, they have one less axis.

"I discovered the triangle one day while shaving. I trimmed my beard like the intersection of three circles and noticed how I could unfog a square in the bathroom mirror by rubbing my beard circularly against the glass."-Franz Reuleaux

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2010 10:03 am 

yummyyummypbj wrote:
I am looking at the pieces of you 17x17. Your design has a flaw. The flaw is pretty big also. I don't know what type of mechanism you used, but there is something wrong with the pice in the picture. If you used v-mech, it is clear that you did not make the rivet large enough. Therefore, it looks like to me that you have about 1-2 mm holding in the rest of the mechanism. This is a problem because if that 1-2 mm rivet is overlapped at any point, the entire edge will explode. A solution for this would to be to make the rivet a lot larger. Even if the rivet goes past the first or second piece (which it should), you can make the mechanism work by having the piece go out and around the mechanism. If I am to confusing for you, don't hesitate to ask for a digram. Hopefully this helped.

V Mech doesn't work past 11x11x11, and verdes had an idea for a 12x12x12. This is a design oskar came up with and we call the Pagoda Mech.

3x3x3 PB: 00:48.10
"Study gravitation, it's a field with a lot of potential."

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2010 10:45 am 

TomZ wrote:
incredible's printer uses 0.25mm layers

he has his own 3d printer?

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2010 2:17 pm 

theVDude wrote:
yummyyummypbj wrote:

V Mech doesn't work past 11x11x11, and verdes had an idea for a 12x12x12. This is a design oskar came up with and we call the Pagoda Mech.

I understand where you going. And yes, I don't live in a cave. I can't believe you thought that I didn't know what a podaga mechanism was. I also posted earlier in what you quoted that the mechanism doesn't matter. The piece he showed is proof that there is a thin layer. This layer is only held in by (as you can see in the picture) be about 1 mm. This means if the mechanism passes over this tiny hair of a rivet, the cube explodes. This is just from the simple laws of big cubes.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2010 2:24 pm 

mu puzzles wrote:
TomZ wrote:
incredible's printer uses 0.25mm layers

he has his own 3d printer?

Quiet a few members do. I may be mistaken, but I think RubixFreakGreg has one. Either that or I'm confusing someone else.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2010 2:26 pm 

No, that would be VeryWetPaint (he has a SD3000).

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2010 2:58 pm 

what is the average cost of a printer? One with a good level of detail

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2010 3:29 pm 

I can get a 1600 dpi printer at the mall for about $100.

Seriously, the average 3D printer might cost $50k. That said, prices range from $15k to over $200k.
I know of three "affordable" printers (all around $15k with all bells and whistles). incredible has a uPrint which in my opinion, isn't all that suitable due to the low resolution but apparently can make puzzles.
A better choice might be the V-Flash (also around that price) which looks really promising to me but has never been tried for puzzles (I want to see if I can get a sample made some day).
Then there is the SD300 which is owned by forum member VeryWetPaint but that one doesn't really have much puzzle potential.

Alongside the ~$15k cost of the machine, expect to pay much more for maintenance, spare parts,... Build material can be especially expensive.
It costs approx $.30 per cm^3 for the uPrint. Compared to Shapeways' $1.50 this might seem good but keep in mind that hollowing out parts doesn't work and that you also need to account for support material.
V-flash resin costs around $.55 per cm^3. I think it allows hollowing but also requires supports to some degree.
The SD300 has the lowest cost of $.10 per cm^3 but the entire build volume needs to be filled with material so you can't compare this figure directly.
Of course there is the <$1k RepRap but that machine won't satisfy any puzzle building needs whatsoever.

This post doesn't have anything to do with the original topic, so if anybody wants to comment on household 3D printers, please do so in a new topic.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2010 4:51 pm 

For those of you that missed it, I started a new topic on household 3d printers: viewtopic.php?f=7&p=220794

My Shapeways shop

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 11:39 am 

clauswe wrote:
I am still believing in this design. I know it will work. But the pieces are to small. Please see the picture. What will happen, if I scale the stl's with factor 1.8 or 2.0? The grip will be better? What is with the tolerances? They will be double, too. Is this a problem? Sometimes the biggest parts of the puzzle hooked with the core. I think it will be a workaround to design the core as a sphere.
Claus,

I would be happy to make a new design for the 17x17x17, and scale it up while keeping the 0.2 mm clearance. Please provide me with a list of all the things that are wrong with the current design.
-Too small pieces
-Hooking of pieces with core (Photo? Video?)
-More ... ?

Thank you.

Oskar

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 6:13 pm 

Imagine doing an average of 5 with that beast, and if someone can solve it blindfolded, i'd build a rocket in my backyard, just to be safe as the universe implodes:)

Last edited by MrTimCube on Fri Jul 23, 2010 6:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 6:34 pm 

Is there anyway to print just part of it, or a highly bandaged version so you can get a proof of concept going without the huge cost attached. It's terrible that someone spent so much on the first one and it didn't work.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 10:00 am 

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

Because I have no live, I stalk Oskar's Shapeways shop and I noticed this.

I beleive he will make a new thread soon for this living Monstrosity, and a Video.

Text and pictures are from his Shapeways Shop, I take no credit.

PS this design IS printible :D

http://www.shapeways.com/model/64058/ov ... tml?gid=rg

Attachment:
alligned.jpg
alligned.jpg [ 18.6 KiB | Viewed 5258 times ]

Attachment:
layers twisted.jpg
layers twisted.jpg [ 21.25 KiB | Viewed 5258 times ]

Think that it is just a screenshot? Think again.

Attachment:
oskar with cube.jpg
oskar with cube.jpg [ 75.89 KiB | Viewed 5258 times ]

More pictures can be found on his shop, just posted my favorites here.

This copied from his shop:

Over The Top is a world-record 17x17x17 Rubik's Cube. It makes quite pretty patterns. It can take many, many hours to solve. The puzzle will be first presented live to the world at at the New York Puzzle Party Symposium, Saturday Feb. 12th . A YouTube video will be published after that event.

The complete Over The Top 17x17x17 puzzle requires
-1x Set 1
-26 x Set 2
(Actually, you need only 24x Set 2, but it is strongly advised to order some spare parts.)

Please contact Oskar directly if you are interested in obtaining a fully colored and assembled sample of this puzzle.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Again, I take no credit, I just wanted to informally reveal this to everyone, and because he already has it public on Shapeways, I figure that it is okay to post here.

Oskar, if that's not okay for some reason just let me know.

EDIT: Oh and Oskar GREAT JOB! congrats on the amazing achievement.

Adam

Past project: The Geode
Current Project: Replica RPK-74
Future Project: Possibly another master mental
Oskar wrote:
I am now adding dummy cubes to my models to cross the 10% density threshold and save myself money big time.

Last edited by Adman234 on Thu Jan 27, 2011 10:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 10:04 am 

Location: USA, North America, Planet Earth, Solar system, Milky Way galaxy, Universe
Wow, that's amazing. So, a working prototype finally got made. Even though, although it's mechanically a 17x17x17, it's actually more of a babyface 15x15x15.
A momentous achievement, congratulations Oskar!
PS looking at the pictures, I really love the patterns the faces form! Remind me of modern art. Also, which of the 4 (IIRC) mechs did you settle on using?
EDIT: ok, I see what mech it is now. Stupid me.

NEW VIDEOS-
3x3x3 stop-motion solve
Meffert's new Pyraminx Crystal solve
QJ 4x4x4 solve

Last edited by Monopoly on Thu Jan 27, 2011 10:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 10:08 am 

Oh my.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 10:14 am 

YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! IT WAS FINALLY BUILT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i told you guys to stick with a cubic design. :lol:

I would totally buy one of these if i had the cash.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 10:15 am 

WOW, incredible, I never thought he'd get it working after the problems with the first version. Again, WOW!! :shock:

Monopoly wrote:
Even though, although it's mechanically a 17x17x17, it's actually more of a babyface 15x15x15.
Adman234 wrote:
Please contact Oskar directly if you are interested in obtaining a fully colored and assembled sample of this puzzle.
I guess a stickered version would be too much to ask! :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 10:17 am 

So when will oskar make a youtube video of this? Also, he hasn't solved it yet right...

And it's only $2000! Doesn't that make it cheaper than the 12x12? :lol:

Last edited by jerry533482 on Thu Jan 27, 2011 10:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 10:22 am 

Oskar's shop Page wrote:

puzzle will be first presented live to the world at at the New York Puzzle Party Symposium, Saturday Feb. 12th . A YouTube video will be published after that event.

Also, when will we get dyed edges? I am glad that this is now bigger, so that the pieces are able to stay in and it is supposedly more stable (and easier to assemble). It's bigger than I would have thought though (monsterous, even). Seriously, this makes me want to cry. It shocks me. Tugs at me. Moves me...

doctor who wrote:
I don't think I can make her pose without heavy sedation. The rendering doesn't have to be perfect, it just can't look like Oskar in drag.

Last edited by quicksolver on Thu Jan 27, 2011 10:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 10:22 am 

PS. I wanna see someone speedsolve this.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 10:23 am 

Email from Shapeways

Quote:
Oskar van Deventer Breaks World Record, Visits New York

Our very own community now includes a world record-breaker. Renowned puzzle designer and long-time Shapeways community member Oskar van Deventer has seen his ambitious 17x17x17 Rubik’s cube go from a wild idea to a real-life 3D printed puzzle. Congrats Oskar!

He'll be showing off his mind-bending achievement on Saturday Feb. 12th at the New York Puzzle Party Symposium. If you're in town, join Oskar and some of the Shapeways team, and come see it for yourself!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 10:24 am 

I beleive that a video will be made somtime after Feb 12th, as said earlier.

And I do not think he has solved it yes, but there is a partially scrambled picture at his shop.

I too love this cubic version over the pillowed version, and it seems that using shapeways gave much higher quality in the final build to allow this beast to come to life.

And it is solved like a babyface 15x15x15, I think stickering this puzzle would probably be THE STUPIDEST idea ever attempted by humans. ever. 1,734 stickers is way too many.

Maybe oskar could print the edges in 2 parts and dye them indempentantly, like a Dayan stickerless cube.

Again, fantastic job Oskar. I expect much higher order puzzles to come from this mech in the near future.

ALSO, do you think that this mech is mass-producable? do you plan to patent it?

Adam

Past project: The Geode
Current Project: Replica RPK-74
Future Project: Possibly another master mental
Oskar wrote:
I am now adding dummy cubes to my models to cross the 10% density threshold and save myself money big time.

Last edited by Adman234 on Thu Jan 27, 2011 10:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 10:28 am 

why not just sticker the edges and corners? or spray paint them?

I wanna see someone break an hour on this thing. It took me 8 hrs on a simulator!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 10:32 am 

Location: USA, North America, Planet Earth, Solar system, Milky Way galaxy, Universe
It would be easiest to split the pieces in two and dye them. The 'tiles' approach wouldn't be good, because as on the first prototype the tiles would probably fall off...
Also, is it even possible to sticker this thing? Each facelet looks smaller than a cubie on a micro 3x3x3! :lol:

NEW VIDEOS-
3x3x3 stop-motion solve
Meffert's new Pyraminx Crystal solve
QJ 4x4x4 solve

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 10:40 am 

im sure its possible. Id recommend tiles though, cause if i stickered it, id want it to last!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 10:45 am 

so how long did it take him to assemble this? I watched esquimat's 11x11 tutorial and i thought it was torture, oskar deserves a medal for his dedication.

So the petaminx is no longer the biggest twisty puzzle in the world (in # of pieces). :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 10:55 am 

jerry533482 wrote:
I wanna see someone break an hour on this thing. It took me 8 hrs on a simulator!
I was curious what the world record holders could do on the 17x17x17 so I threw the current world records into Excel, plotted them, and added a trendline (2nd order polynomial seems to fit and it makes sense).
Attachment:
times.png
times.png [ 3.58 KiB | Viewed 5135 times ]
Looks like it would take the pros 30-35 minute :shock: But that's assuming this turns as well as the "smaller" cubes and isn't cumbersome.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 11:01 am 

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

I wanna see this thing pop during a speedsolve. :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 11:04 am 

Wow, just wow, I think my mind exploded. . . school no longer seems important. . . just wow!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 11:08 am 

My heart's been going like 300 b/m for the last hour, but i think my cubegasm is starting to die down. :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 11:29 am 

The Micros have smaller pieces!!

Attachment:
cw_17x17x17_and Micros.JPG
cw_17x17x17_and Micros.JPG [ 2.59 MiB | Viewed 5087 times ]

Attachment:
cw_17x17x17_and Micros (2).JPG
cw_17x17x17_and Micros (2).JPG [ 2.16 MiB | Viewed 5087 times ]

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 11:43 am 

At least it makes deciding on my all time favourite puzzle a lot easier. Once I see one in black plastic with stickers of course.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 11:45 am 

o_O. Wow. That is phenominal! Great work. But I agree with Tony, there needs to be one with stickers. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Buy the Curvy Copter Skewb, NovaMinx, and more here!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 11:57 am 

send it to me il do it...ive got plenty of time on my hands as i work for norfolk county council(english cutbacks joke)....i need a reason to stay in starbucks for 3 days straight.... :lol:
ps my god that cube is awsome...outstanding work....

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 12:31 pm 

Perfect!! I can't wait to see a video!!!!

- Greg :D

My Website on Twisty Puzzles with Gears

Grégoire Pfennig

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 12:55 pm 

Completely
insane!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 12:57 pm 

RubixFreakGreg wrote:
Perfect!! I can't wait to see a video!!!!
Sorry, the video has to wait until the New York Puzzle Party Symposium ("by invitation only") on 12 February, where I shall present the full story (including Claus' epic prototyping efforts) and the working puzzle. You can see more photos in my Shapeways Shop. You'll probably see more teaser info from Shapeways during the next few days.

Oskar

Last edited by Oskar on Thu Jan 27, 2011 2:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 1:07 pm 

Wow!

It's the only way I can sum up my feelings without violating the "no cursing" standard. And I don't curse a lot-- it lacks originality and flair, but this reduced me to base thoughts and expressions.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 2:02 pm 

clauswe wrote:
The Micros have smaller pieces!!

Beauty and the Beast :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 2:52 pm 

Oskar wrote:
Sorry, the video has to wait until the New York Puzzle Party Symposium on 12 February

We'll all be waiting with baited breath, Oskar. Congratulations!!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 3:03 pm 

AMAZING. I can't think of any other way to describe it.

Tony Fisher wrote:
MaCheezm0 wrote:
2nd layer using Fisher parts

I very much hope you mean Fisher Cube parts.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 3:15 pm 

This is one pretty incredible achievement! That's all I can say now.
I would imagine there must have been a sponsor to print this puzzle.
Oscar, is that so? Is the sponsor going to own this puzzle? Just asking.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 4:28 pm 

Aleksey wrote:
Is the sponsor going to own this puzzle?
The first two prototypes have been sponsored and built in an epic effort by Claus Wenicker. Shapeways has kindly sponsored the third prototype, which is offered for sale at my Shapeways Shop, in exchange for some publicity. I assume that I can keep the prototype after my presentation in New York.

Oskar

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 5:16 pm 

We'll I have to change my pants now. :lol:

Does this make 3 17x17x17's? ( two functional and claus's first try)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 5:39 pm 

WOW!!!! I must confess when I first saw that mech I didn't have high hopes. I couldn't be happier that I was wrong.

Any chance this might see some form of mass production? If this works in strong white and flexable I would be inclinded to think it would work even better in injection molded plastic. And go the way several MF8 puzzles have gone by using colored plastic and not stickers and you solve the issue of how to sticker this beast. At $2000 I don't see myself ever owning this beast get it down to $200-$300 and I'd LOVE to have one... even if I had to put it together myself.

Carl

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 5:42 pm 

wwwmwww wrote:
At $2000 I don't see myself ever owning this beast get it down to $200-$300 and I'd LOVE to have one... even if I had to put it together myself.

Carl

I dont think it will ever go down to $200-$300 lol.. but I got the same hopes =)

Sharon

The puzzles on the picture are not for sale.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 6:21 pm 

This makes v cubes look puny. :lol:

But I wonder which one is higher quality....

Oskar, I can proudly tell you that once that vid makes it's way on youtube, my first actions (after watching it of course) will be to favorite it (on all my channels).

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 233 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next