Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Fri Apr 18, 2014 6:42 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: User Shops
PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 8:15 pm 

The title may seem weird, but it'll make sense in a little.

I think we should have a sub-forum (correct me if the name is wrong) like "Marketplace", but with TP Forum user shops. The reason I think that this is necessary (or at least desired) is because today I was trying to find Muffet's shop after seeing a post in the Packages Just Arrived With Rare Puzzles thread about his Mini Master Hexagonal Domino puzzle, which I now really want, and I could not find it (and still can't). So the point of this sub-forum (again, correct me if I'm wrong) would be for people to post links to shops (what a concept!) for their puzzles, and not auctions, which would go in the already existing Marketplace. This would include Shapeways shops, shops like Olz' (I think), where he made a list of his available puzzles and instructed interested buyers to PM him, etc. This would also help boost sales for those people, and make them able to churn out more puzzles.

So what do you guys think? Is this a good idea?

Edit: Fixed some grammar, and added a sentence at the end of the second paragraph.

Transsexual and Proud!

Post subject: Re: User Shops
PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 9:43 pm 

Are the shops offering different stuff than Sandy? That's the big question, because there's an official shop on this site already. If a user advertises a twisty puzzle shop here with duplicate items that Sandy offers, it'll do nothing but pull away business from Sandy's shop.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 10:07 pm 

blizzard_kb wrote:
Are the shops offering different stuff than Sandy? That's the big question, because there's an official shop on this site already. If a user advertises a twisty puzzle shop here with duplicate items that Sandy offers, it'll do nothing but pull away business from Sandy's shop.

These puzzles could be considered 50% custom and 50% mass produced. The only way to buy them is from the user's shop.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 11:01 pm 

It's as simple as adding a link in the signature to solve this problem. It may help quite a bit to know where to find users' shops. However, not too many users have shops. Sure Sandy hosts the website's shop, but I don't see custom puzzles available there. The only mass-produced shops of users on this website would be Kastellorizo's, some of Tony's puzzles that Meffert has mass-produced, and the TP shop. Kelvin Scott is getting there too. But that's all for mass-production.

Custom puzzles are bought via people's websites or the Marketplace or occasionally through PMs. They're linked to by the users hosting the site, usually in the signature though sometimes they have their own thread (such as Oliver's sticker shop).

If none of the above match a shop, it is possible that the shop isn't open to everyone or that the shop does not pertain to the Twisty Puzzles Forum. In this case, and in the current situation, there isn't enough need for a shop forum to open up a whole new thread. Ultimately the decision is up to Sandy.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 7:56 pm 

blizzard_kb wrote:

Sorry for the kind of late response. What I mean by this is that people can post links to shops that consist of only their own custom puzzles. This also means that if someone finds a custom puzzle shop that isn't their own, they will either have to get permission from the store owner, or not post it at all.

Now, of course, this is up to Sandy's speculation, rules and all.

Transsexual and Proud!