Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Sun Apr 20, 2014 6:45 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Site Status
PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 9:07 am 

Over the past few days we've been experiencing some technical difficulties. Two in particular, which may or may not have been related.

First, Perl's ability to access the database was broken during a software update that my host performed on the server on Saturday night. Since then, many portions of the site have been out of order including the museum, collections, and the forum sidebar. The shop and the forum (with the exception of the sidebar) are still working because they are written in PHP rather than Perl.

Second, a chunk of the forum database went belly up inexplicably last night. This prevented access to the contents of forum messages, resulting in errors when users attempted to view threads and similar things here in the forum.

The second issue has been resolved (indeed, you couldn't load this message if the issue was still unresolved). Be warned that it's possible that some forum message data got lost or scrambled as a result of this issue. If you are concerned about this possibility, you may want to check if the last message (public or PM) you wrote/sent still exists.

As of right now, the first issue is still unresolved. My host appears to be working diligently on the problem, and it is certainly affecting any of their other clients that happen to use Perl with mySQL and share the same server as ours.

We'll know when it's working again because all the broken stuff will just automagically work again, most notably in the forum where the sidebar will suddenly reappear.

Sandy

Post subject: Re: Site Status
PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 12:01 am 

Latest update:

Quote:
We will pull the server off line again at around 1.00am MDT to work on the library dependancies dealing with the newly installed mysql 5.1.x

Sandy

Post subject: Re: Site Status
PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 6:52 am 

Received this message late last night (about 30 minutes after I went to bed), so I didn't read it until this morning:

Quote:
In simple terms Hsphere released cluster management before it was cooked. as part of this they updated mysql to 5.1.x and broke most of the perl libraries. From there they broke Perl enough that I have had the Ukrainian development team. They have engineered the fix to undo/fix the update. Because of the time zone difference they start work at 2.00am MDT and I am told that they will fix the library bugs in their custom hardened libraries tonight.

This one came about an hour later:

Quote:
If the developers do not get it corrected tonight, then I will provide you one of our VDS servers at the same price that you are paying now. This will put you in your own environment and have all the functionality of a dedicated server.

Sincerely sorry about the delay.

So at this point, I loaded up the site HOPING it was still busted! HA! A virtual dedicated server (VDS) would have been a nice upgrade. No more instances of the host taking the site offline because my buggy scripts were slowing down his other customers.

Anyway, it looks fixed now, and that's good news too!

Sandy