Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Wed Apr 23, 2014 4:49 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Danny's 19x19x19 Cube Design
PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2010 1:41 am 

I know a lot of you guys will probably think that this is just ridicuous but I put a ton of hours into designing it and it was mostly just for fun. I don't really have much intention of building it unless I get enough support from you all. The main reason for my doing this was just a test of my own knowledge of mechanisms and CAD. The mech is as close to what a V-cube would look like at such a large scale as I could imagine. That said, I referenced the innards of my 7x7x7 a few times, but everything else was out of my head. The outer layer is large enough in comparison to the inner layers that I'm fairly sure it would be stable in reality. Also, it is pillowed enough that the stalk holding the corner in would be plenty thick. There are 55 unique pieces in this puzzle, 83 if you include necessary mirrors. If you comment, let me know whether or not you think it would work based on the series of pictures that follow. I hope you enjoy!
Attachment:
File comment: center piece, corner and middle edge
19x19x19 corner and edge.png
19x19x19 corner and edge.png [ 68.77 KiB | Viewed 4401 times ]

Attachment:
File comment: add in the center layer pieces
19x19x19 corner edge cross.png
19x19x19 corner edge cross.png [ 36.29 KiB | Viewed 4401 times ]

Attachment:
File comment: Next come the diagonal inner corner pieces
19x19x19 corner edge cross diagonal.png
19x19x19 corner edge cross diagonal.png [ 67.35 KiB | Viewed 4401 times ]

Attachment:
File comment: Next are the perimeter wings
19x19x19 corner edge cross diagonal perimeter.png
19x19x19 corner edge cross diagonal perimeter.png [ 45.25 KiB | Viewed 4401 times ]

Attachment:
File comment: another view of the previous photo
19x19x19 corner edge cross diagonal perimeter alternate.png
19x19x19 corner edge cross diagonal perimeter alternate.png [ 71.2 KiB | Viewed 4401 times ]

Attachment:
File comment: The last of the unique pieces are the inner ones and all of their mirrors.
19x19x19 full.png
19x19x19 full.png [ 67.12 KiB | Viewed 4401 times ]

More pictures in the next post

Post subject: Re: Danny's 19x19x19 Cube Design
PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2010 1:47 am 

Attachment:
File comment: Another view of the previous photo
19x19x19 full alternate.png
19x19x19 full alternate.png [ 51.99 KiB | Viewed 4398 times ]

Attachment:
File comment: starting to create a ful layer
19x19x19 layer corners.png
19x19x19 layer corners.png [ 94.28 KiB | Viewed 4398 times ]

Attachment:
File comment: Cross pieces and perimeter are added
19x19x19 layer perimeter.png
19x19x19 layer perimeter.png [ 115.72 KiB | Viewed 4398 times ]

Attachment:
File comment: Diagonal pieces are added
19x19x19 layer diagonals.png
19x19x19 layer diagonals.png [ 122.07 KiB | Viewed 4398 times ]

Attachment:
File comment: A full 19x19 layer
19x19x19 layer full.png
19x19x19 layer full.png [ 113.18 KiB | Viewed 4398 times ]

Attachment:
File comment: The underside view of the previous picture
19x19x19 layer full alternate.png
19x19x19 layer full alternate.png [ 65.74 KiB | Viewed 4398 times ]

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2010 1:54 am 

I . . . but . . . if you . . .

I WANT IT SO BAD!

You seriously have to make this happen. If I find a way to fund you, could we say split the profits 50/50?

jk :)

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2010 2:18 am 

I've heard it said that the V-cube mech will not work past 11 or 13 or so. I just hope it don't turn out like Oskar's 17x17x17 "Over the Top" did:

Anyways, excellent work. Those corners are HUGE :shock: Gut/hollow out the corners and make the puzzle half the price/wieght :lol:

Oh annd to save yourself the sticker trouble, just paint the darned thing 8-)

My V-cube 7 is big enough, LOL! :scrambled:

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2010 3:13 am 

Hmm... At first it looks like a 3x3x3 mech with pieces added around it. That would be an intersting mechansim. I'm not sure if this mechansim would work or not, but if I was designing it, I would base it on V-MECH but with each piece allowing a space for the piece after to hold onto, and that should increase the stability. Just some food for thought.

Buy the Curvy Copter Skewb, NovaMinx, and more here!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2010 3:45 am 

Wow this is amazing! I hope you'll take the time to make it a reality one day!!!

- Greg :D

P.S:

I got a new mechanim I will try out for high order cubes (VERY high order cubes)
I'll see if I can make it work :)

My Website on Twisty Puzzles with Gears

Grégoire Pfennig

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2010 4:11 am 

I dont understand how people see something new in this?
It is just an extrapolation of the v-cube mechanism, hardly new and highly likely not the best way of making this.
Cutting the pieces along these lines is no feat, anyone could make the design for a 100x100x100, or however big you want to go. There is more to it then just having a big outer layer for stable corners. Firstly Mr. Verdes predicted that if the centre edge is more then 2 times longer then it is wide, it would become unstable. This is the case in your design, and basically unavoidable. Secondly one of the most important things in a puzzle of this scale is the filleting and tolerances, you have not put any thought into that yet and without it the puzzle would become a solid block of nylon. A slight amount of over tolerancing would result in a puzzle that constantly pops.

I understand that you just did this as an excersize and for fun, which is fine. However this is much farther from reality then you probably have foreseen yourself.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2010 9:46 am 

Namegoeswhere wrote:
I dont understand how people see something new in this?
It is just an extrapolation of the v-cube mechanism, hardly new and highly likely not the best way of making this.
Cutting the pieces along these lines is no feat, anyone could make the design for a 100x100x100, or however big you want to go. There is more to it then just having a big outer layer for stable corners. Firstly Mr. Verdes predicted that if the centre edge is more then 2 times longer then it is wide, it would become unstable. This is the case in your design, and basically unavoidable. Secondly one of the most important things in a puzzle of this scale is the filleting and tolerances, you have not put any thought into that yet and without it the puzzle would become a solid block of nylon. A slight amount of over tolerancing would result in a puzzle that constantly pops.

I understand that you just did this as an excersize and for fun, which is fine. However this is much farther from reality then you probably have foreseen yourself.

Not to sound rude but please don't make assumptions about how much thought I have put into my own design. I haven't added fillets because I really don't intend to make this puzzle and they also slow down my CAD program considerably and the assembly file of hundreds of pieces would've been impossible to run on my computer. As for tolerances, just because they're not there doesn't mean I haven't put thought into them. They actually are there in all the internals, simply not on the surface of the pieces. If I were to ever create this thing, this design is far from the final version I would use. I simply wanted to share the rough draft with you all.

Also, I know about that 2:1 edge ratio problem. Can anyone give a reason that this would be true? Nobody's ever tested this in reality and I'm really curious as to why it would be a problem.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2010 10:09 am 

Great work. I really hope it takes solid form one day. If my prediction for a 21x21x21 within the next 10 years is to come true I am sure this will be an important stepping stone towards that.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2010 10:24 am 

Based on the necessity of having it in the design, there is a ridiculous amount of pillowing here. A lot more would be needed if you wanted it to be "proportional" to the point where I predict a practically spherical puzzle in the very high-order puzzles. To make a puzzle that would accurately reflect design flaws (flaws in the V-mech), in my opinion it would have to be appropriately large with pieces the size of the 9x9 or the 11x11 in order to remove any question about how the size of the pieces would affect the stability of the puzzle. any guess as to how big a puzzle of this order with that piece size would be?

doctor who wrote:
I don't think I can make her pose without heavy sedation. The rendering doesn't have to be perfect, it just can't look like Oskar in drag.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2010 10:28 am 

This would pop a lot. You need to make the center piece expand farther. Also friction and other problems would make this a low quality puzzle.

That said, it's a great extension of the v mech and with a little more work I could see this ready to be made :D

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2010 10:58 am 

Tony Fisher wrote:
Great work. I really hope it takes solid form one day. If my prediction for a 21x21x21 within the next 10 years is to come true I am sure this will be an important stepping stone towards that.

Sarcasm I assume. :( Thanks for making me feel like an idiot. This was just for fun, I don't get why people want to be so negative.

If it's not sarcasm I apologize. Just trying to cover all of my bases. I don't want to anger anyone. :?

Last edited by dannyb21892 on Sun Sep 05, 2010 11:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2010 11:15 am 

I to be honest love this idea, I believe tony really thinks a 21x21 would come out by the way.

If you can figure out how to drop the cost of this puzzle enough I will honestly help you fund this next year, good luck

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2010 11:19 am 

I'm sure that Tony's reply is entirely genuine. Tony doesn't usually use sarcasm.

Personally, I feel that the forum is being way too harsh towards you. I don't understand why people feel the need to explain to you that this isn't a fully finished design: I think it's pretty clear you already understand that quite well.

This is quite a nice rendition of the V-Cube design applied to a higher order.

@PuzzleMaster6262: what makes you say that? Personally, I've been amazed at how small grips can be and still work.

@Namegoeswhere: actually, this design does include what seem to be, proper tolerances. Of course it hasn't been filleted, because it was meant as a exercise only. Filleting something like this would take way too long for a novelty design like this.
Sure, anyone with enough time can draw a V-mech 100x100x100. But still, drawing something like this takes quite some time and commitment so it's still a feat.

I don't get why people need to be so harsh. It's nice to see how a very high order V-cube may look like. And since Danny seems to understand this isn't something that would work as is, why would there be any need to criticize it like this.

Buy my mass produced puzzles at Mefferts:
- 4x4x6 Cuboid for just $38
- Curvy Copter for just $18
- 3x4x5 Cuboid for just $34

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2010 12:43 pm 

dannyb21892 wrote:
Tony Fisher wrote:

Sarcasm I assume. :( Thanks for making me feel like an idiot. This was just for fun, I don't get why people want to be so negative.

If it's not sarcasm I apologize. Just trying to cover all of my bases. I don't want to anger anyone. :?

My comment is definitely not sarcasm and I mean every word of it. I love high order cubes and want to see them made as high as possible. That's why I was supportive of the recent 17x17x17 attempt.
I really hope your design leads to something and you should ignore criticisms.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2010 1:20 pm 

Sincerest apologies, Tony. I came to expect the worst from people's reactions from some of the earlier posts. Thanks for the support :)

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2010 1:22 pm 

But in all seriousness I would buy this if i could get the money

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2010 1:52 pm 

Danny this is very impressive. I do hope to see a prototype one day soon. Assuming it was possible to produce a functioning puzzle, any idea as to how much it would cost (parts and labor) to build it?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2010 3:36 pm 

Well, not including the core, a fully built 19x19x19 would have 1946 pieces! So it would likely be very expensive to make.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2010 3:46 pm 

It would be even more expensive to make if you made the pieces at a size that is based on the progression of size of the previous puzzles that have been made. I would not want to be the one to sticker/assemble this puzzle! I am very glad that you did not decide to cut down the corners of the feet like the makers of the 9x9 did. That creates a puzzle that pops easily. At least you know what you are doing! I expect that you would want to cast it, or for all of the expense it would be less expensive to hand-carve out of wood (but that would take a lot of time). I would be very interested in seeing whether or not this works, but I am not willing to back this up with my wallet :( . So good luck if you decide to make it!

doctor who wrote:
I don't think I can make her pose without heavy sedation. The rendering doesn't have to be perfect, it just can't look like Oskar in drag.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2010 4:18 pm 

Even if this puzzle doesn't get made, it shows that continuing to add layers would be not only possible but within reach. Even if it is based on V-Mech, imagine how many puzzles there are also based on the V-Mech. In order to finalize this puzzle design, parts would probably have to be stored on USBs or other external hard drive. I don't blame you for not wanting to give this the final touches it would need to be remotely functional in physical form. That would definitely finish off my computer.

Also, I would not consider this a puzzle worth solving. Sure it'd be awesome to make/have one, but it's just overkill to solve (sort of like the Petaminx- by the way has reeech finished it yet?).

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2010 10:40 am 

I had some inspiration for an addition to this puzzle that would likely greatly increase its stability. The thought came from the latest pictures in Oskar's Linear versus Binary style for super high NxNxN thread. The addition is one more shell which would hold the corners and edges directly into the core This essntially creates a true 3x3x3 sphere at the center of this puzzle. It seems silly that I overlooked this before. :lol:
Tell me what you think! :)

I apologize in advance for multiple posts for the pictures. My internet is being very sporadic. This is literally my 10th attempt to post this, and every time I add a piture file, there's a 50% chance of it not working and I lose all that I've typed. So I'm doing it in multiple posts so I can get everything out there.

Attachment:
File comment: The six arms of the core show the beginnings of a new shell.
19x19x19 new centers.png
19x19x19 new centers.png [ 58.07 KiB | Viewed 3910 times ]

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2010 10:45 am 

Attachment:
File comment: A corner is added, with parts that both partially complete this new shell, and extend under it, filling the space beneath.
19x19x19 new centers and corner.png
19x19x19 new centers and corner.png [ 78.2 KiB | Viewed 3904 times ]

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2010 10:49 am 

Attachment:
File comment: The rest of the corners added. You see where this is going :]
19x19x19 new centers and corners.png
19x19x19 new centers and corners.png [ 79.08 KiB | Viewed 3896 times ]

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2010 10:57 am 

Attachment:
File comment: An edge fills the obvious space between the corners.
19x19x19 new centers corners edge.png
19x19x19 new centers corners edge.png [ 72.97 KiB | Viewed 3889 times ]

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2010 11:00 am 

Last one, I promise :oops:
Attachment:
File comment: I like this picture. It looks like a planet. All edges and corners are added.
19x19x19 new centers corners edges.png
19x19x19 new centers corners edges.png [ 85.14 KiB | Viewed 3885 times ]

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2010 11:02 am 

You know you can upload up to 10 ten photos right? :lol: They look really good so far :D

RubixFreakGreg wrote:
Actually in your hand it feels the right size :)

That's what she said :D

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2010 11:11 am 

Great addition :D

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2010 11:17 am 

DARKYtheCUBER wrote:
You know you can upload up to 10 ten photos right? :lol: They look really good so far :D

dannyb21892 wrote:
I apologize in advance for multiple posts for the pictures. My internet is being very sporadic. This is literally my 10th attempt to post this, and every time I add a piture file, there's a 50% chance of it not working and I lose all that I've typed. So I'm doing it in multiple posts so I can get everything out there.

The interesting thing about this is that the puzzle can be played with perfectly as a 3x3x3 when in the state of assembly shown in the last photo :D

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2010 2:44 pm 

care for a picture of the beast fully assembled?

I still don't get why you guys don't stick to cubic designs on big cubes. I'm sure it would eliminate the pain of a malformed assembly!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2010 3:22 pm 

Instead of the underlying 3x3 shell, why not make the core a sphere?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2010 3:30 pm 

So for the newest design you are going for a rubik's 5x5/ vcube fusion? this should work a lot better for stability in the outer layers, but i think you could improve it by making the tabs on the center pieces a little bit wider, and whatever you do, dont apply any more of the rubik's 5x5 design to it, or it will be terrrrrrrible.... in my opinion.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2010 5:02 pm 

Do you think it would be possible to use a 3x3 cube as a base? Like how you would use a mini 2x2 as a base for some mods? :| :?: Just a thought.

RubixFreakGreg wrote:
Actually in your hand it feels the right size :)

That's what she said :D