Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Wed Apr 16, 2014 5:51 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Gift Pyramid by OSKAR
PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2010 3:02 am 

Hi Twisty Puzzles fans,

Gift Pyramid is a pyramid-shaped twisty puzzle that can be taken apart when solved. It has a little spherical cavity that can contain a small object.

This puzzle was commissioned by Darryl Suskin, who used it for a wedding proposal to his girlfriend Michelle. He was inspired by the Gift Cube, but he wanted the more elegant pyramid shape. On Thursday 5 August, Darryl gave Michelle the Gift Pyramid with the ring, she opened, he proposed, she accepted and they lived happily ever after.

Darryl insisted he wanted to print and apply the stickers himself, which is why I sent him a puzzle without stickers. I made the YouTube video to freak him out. However, he pulled my bluff and he guessed correctly that I would never make such a bad joke for real.

Watch the YouTube video.
Buy the puzzle from my Shapeways Shop.
Read more at the Shapeways Forum.
Check out the photos below.

Enjoy!

Oskar
Attachment:
Gift Pyramid - prototype - view 1.jpg
Gift Pyramid - prototype - view 1.jpg [ 48.02 KiB | Viewed 2811 times ]

Attachment:
Gift Pyramid - prototype - view 2.jpg
Gift Pyramid - prototype - view 2.jpg [ 47.66 KiB | Viewed 2811 times ]

Attachment:
Gift Pyramid - prototype - view 3.jpg
Gift Pyramid - prototype - view 3.jpg [ 46.6 KiB | Viewed 2811 times ]

Post subject: Re: Gift Pyramid by OSKAR
PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2010 4:04 am 

Would it be possible to open the pyramid with (some) tips not correctly oriented? Trying to open it after scrambling without stickers would be very annoying!! :lol:

Per

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2010 4:11 am 

perfredlund wrote:
Trying to open it after scrambling without stickers would be very annoying!!

- I think the intention is to offer a present, not a nightmare :lol: :lol:

My Puzzle Collection

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2010 8:22 am 

I suppose that it can be opened with out actually solving the whole thing. like with the gift cube, it can be opened by only solving the first two layers (heart as cross color..)

am I correct?

My puzzles in the Museum
My Website
My Youtube Channel

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2010 8:54 am 

Doubleyou wrote:
I suppose that it can be opened with out actually solving the whole thing. like with the gift cube, it can be opened by only solving the first two layers (heart as cross color..)

am I correct?

The only thing unsolved would be the trivial orientation of 1 tip, which is 1 turn.
I think the trivial tips do not need to be solved for this to be opened but there is no challange left when you have come that far anyway.

Very nice puzzle as allways, but how did you get the puzzle unscambled again before shipping? :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2010 8:56 am 

Namegoeswhere wrote:
Doubleyou wrote:

am I correct?

The only thing unsolved would be the trivial orientation of 1 tip, which is 1 turn.
I think the trivial tips do not need to be solved for this to be opened but there is no challange left when you have come that far anyway.

Very nice puzzle as allways, but how did you get the puzzle unscambled again before shipping? :lol:

I didn't follow the scrambling, but I'm assuming it wasn't very "scrambled", or he possible just took it apart?

3x3x3 PB: 00:48.10
"Study gravitation, it's a field with a lot of potential."

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2010 9:10 am 

Namegoeswhere wrote:
Doubleyou wrote:

am I correct?

well, for the puzzle to open, the "open-cut" pieces that touch are the only pieces that needs to be solved. How could the far pieces reach that solution anyway?

My puzzles in the Museum
My Website
My Youtube Channel

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2010 4:40 pm 

The tips don't have to be correct in the correct position for it to open, but it's trickier with the stickers I have on. (It's more of a picture cube). I'll try to post pictures some time this weekend. I'm still waiting on the permanent stickers though. I don't have a video camera, but my regular camera I think can do short videos, so I'll try to do something.

Also it's possible to open it if the top three pieces are in place regardless of the bottom pieces. But without knowing which side the top is, one may very well have to solve the whole thing to get it to open. In fact, 3 out of 4 times.

Oskar, you are being too kind. Sure the pyramid shape is "more elegant" as you put it, but Michele doesn't know how to solve a rubik's cube yet, and I know she can solve the pyraminx. :)

-d

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2010 8:47 am 

Wow, such a cruel trick in the youtube video :lol: :lol: :lol:

But I suppose in an emergency situation with the unstickered gift Pyramid, it may be possible to pop a piece out without damaging the puzzle, or worst case senario, one could just use the devil's algorithm, which likely would consist of 933,120 moves, and take less than 11 days with one move per second, definitely achievable by human timing, unlike gift cube. :scrambled:

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2010 8:51 am 

stardust4ever wrote:
Wow, such a cruel trick in the youtube video :lol: :lol: :lol:

but I suppose in an emergency, it may be possible to pop a piece out without damaging the puzzle, Or worst case, one could just use the devil's algorithm, which likely would consist of 933,120 moves, and take less than 11 days with one move per second, definitely achievable by human timing, unlike gift cube. :scrambled:

But after every rotation, you would need to check if it was solved!

That would take a long time :lol:

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2010 10:33 am 

Nice puzzle, this is greeat idea for gift !