Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Sat Apr 19, 2014 9:35 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Lilly Library
PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 10:39 pm 

If any of you are in Bloomington Indiana on the 6th or 7th of august, I will be there with a few members from this forum.

I have managed a tour of the Slocum puzzle room. I would like to invite any and all to go along if you are free.

Post subject: Re: Lilly Library
PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 9:18 am 

Unless something changes, I will certainly be there.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 9:49 am 

May i ask, is it worth a 4 hour trip??
I think so... Hopefully I'll be there!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 10:24 am 

Working on getting there! For those who won't be able to be there, I will try to arrange for some filming...

doctor who wrote:
I don't think I can make her pose without heavy sedation. The rendering doesn't have to be perfect, it just can't look like Oskar in drag.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 12:19 pm 

It's a 4 hour drive for me too. If I go, it would have to be the 7th. Hopefully I can go. Please send out another reminder prior to it.

-d

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 12:29 pm 

Hmm, I've been in Indiana for the past 2 weeks and it just so happens that right now I am in Fort Wayne Airport waiting for my flight back to (not-so-sunny) Southern California. Guess I missed the time frame by a few weeks :roll:

(Even if it would have been a 4 hour drive from where I was staying...)

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2010 3:38 am 

katsmom wrote:
If any of you are in Bloomington Indiana on the 6th or 7th of august, I will be there with a few members from this forum. I have managed a tour of the Slocum puzzle room.
Rox,

Visit also the Kinsey Institute. It is around the corner from the Lilly Library. They have my 8"Bolt puzzle on display, and several other things that slide. No twisty puzzles, though.

Say hi to Brett Rothstein, who teaches at Bloomington and who attended IPP30 in Osaka/Hakone, and to Jillian Hinchliffe, who does an excellent job on the Slocum Collection.

Oskar

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2010 8:19 am 

Will do Oskar. I alsoplanto visit Johnson and Johnson too :lol: :lol:

Is that the right place? But I think I'll leave the kids at home for that puzzle. (George told me all about it)

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2010 6:58 pm 

Oskar wrote:
Visit also the Kinsey Institute. It is around the corner from the Lilly Library. They have my 8"Bolt puzzle on display, and several other things that slide. No twisty puzzles, though.

8"Bolt is displayed in the Kinsey Institute? I admit it looks a bit...uh...provocative but this seems a bit outrageous!

On the other hand, it takes some effort to display 8"Bolt tastefully. George always displayed it lying on its side. Here's a relatively-tame pose standing on end...

Attachments:
File comment: Oskar's 8-inch bolt, atop my own work-in-progress
IMG_3085.JPG
IMG_3085.JPG [ 143.04 KiB | Viewed 2472 times ]

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2010 12:25 pm 

Just an update, I'll be staying at the fairfield inn, 1014 Wylie Drive, Bloomington, Illinois 61705 USA.

Again, I offer my services as a not so good tour guide for this trip. If any of you are in the area, please feel free to stop by. We are there Friday the 6th and Saturday the 7th.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2010 12:38 pm 

AWW man, its so close to where I live(Indianapolis) but my parents hate twisty puzzles and stuff like that.

Pyraminx:0:02.45/0:06.81/07.50
Really want a Master and Elite Pyraminx, a Tuttminx... Oh wait... I can has that now!!!

Post subject: Lilly and Kinsey
PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 9:49 am 

> 8"Bolt is displayed in the Kinsey Institute? I admit it looks a bit...uh...provocative
> but this seems a bit outrageous!

The copy in question was, I believe, a prototype. George Miller printed it with a bright pink tip and, if memory serves, ring. Of course, it's probably more than a matter of simple appearance. As you know from trying to solve it, the action required is suggestive, to say the least. Still, size, shape and color were probably significant factors in the decision regarding where to house it.

Bret Rothstein

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 2:54 pm 

I wish I could be there -- I went to grad school in Bloomington, and I love the Lilly Library. Douglas Hofstadter had an office in the building next to my department, and I used to say hi to him several times a week, but I didn't realize who he was until the week I left town!

If you have the chance, I recommend a visit to The Garret, which is just a short walk from the town square:

http://atlasobscura.com/place/garret

Have fun, and please post lots of pictures!

- Peter

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2010 8:53 pm 

Today was my first reunion with Roxanne at the Lilly Library. We entered and greeted each other, then we went to the puzzle room. The room is not a huge room but it nonetheless had the puzzles. There was only 1 display case filled with some puzzles (I will post a picture because I am lousy with judging sizes) and 2 tables with hands-on puzzles. The neat thing about the tables was that they are puzzles themselves that were chosen as a result of an international contest. The one that we saw the mechanisms of featured a panel with knobs that activated various sliding panels that could be arranged to form patterns on the tabletop. When a certain pattern is formed, a drawer is able to open. There were a few neat puzzles in the display case but the main attraction was behind the scenes. Roxanne is a friend of Jerry Slocum and she managed to get hands-on access to some puzzles in storage. I got to touch and play with several very rare puzzles including a mint condition in-the-box Smart Alex, a Dino Cube, Tony Fisher's 2x3x4 and Mental Block, the original Free the Key puzzle in wood, Christoph's Jewel, Million Space Shuttle, some sort of mod of a keychain 3x3 that had 2 opposite corners and their touching center-edge pairs rounded off into a ball and stickered in Green and Blue (anyone have links for this/know who made it?), and a whole bunch of others that will come to mind upon uploading some pictures. I drooled for the next 2 hours straight while Roxanne teased me about my childlike excitement, and I got a great history lesson from her and the museum's director Breon Mitchell. After the museum closed ( :cry: ) we went out to dinner where Roxanne showed me a few toys of her own. I got to see (and play with) some new and unfinished Hanayama puzzles, Tony Fisher's Nesting Cubes (because her Dogic was in storage), an 11x11 (shh...don't tell), and a Cheese Block. I am still anticipating tomorrow's meeting because she has some more surprises and we only saw 1 of the storage areas. I will upload some photos and videos once I get some tech issues solved and I have permission from the library to publish them on YouTube.

doctor who wrote:
I don't think I can make her pose without heavy sedation. The rendering doesn't have to be perfect, it just can't look like Oskar in drag.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2010 9:31 pm 

A few photos can be found here

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2010 4:23 pm 

Our last day of puzzles in Indiana was fun. Roxanne and I arrived before anyone else so we discussed some puzzle stuff and I got a solve video of the Cheese Block. Then Charlie, Thomas, and their associated groups arrived and we went to town on the storage cases. I tried out some neat Japanese Puzzle Boxes and trick locks (both of which interest me greatly), solved a bolt/maze puzzle, and almost scrambled Tony Fisher's 2x3x4. After the museum closed we weren't ready to part ways quite yet (although Thomas had some other plans so we separated from them), so Charlie (et al), Roxanne, and I decided to go for lunch. Conveniently enough we found ourselves parking right in front of a puzzle store that was close to the restaurant so we picked up a few goodies there. At lunch we enjoyed exchanging puzzles and looking at each others' neat toys. I almost solved Tony Fisher's Nesting Cubes but I am cursing myself for neglecting to learn the Megaminx LL because that was all that I had left to solve (it is quite a difficult puzzle). I showed Roxanne how to store her Cast Quartet because she couldn't solve it and played with a few nice Binary Arts puzzles that Charlie brought. We proceeded to a bookstore for some browsing then parted ways. In total I spent 5.5 hours at the museum and around 4 of those playing with some really rare puzzles (you can request puzzles to be brought from storage to the reading room so that you can play with them on the condition that they fit back in their custom boxes and preferably be solved once you are done), then another 4-6 hours with friends in somewhat puzzle-related situations. I will post later this week with photos and videos of the puzzle part of the trip.

EDIT: I have made a Facebook Album for the photos and I am working on a video compilation of photos and videos

doctor who wrote:

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2010 6:29 pm 

Today's photos. Facebook again.
http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2055001&id=1138673266&l=81cbcc741c

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2055001&id=1138673266&l=81cbcc741c

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2055006&id=1138673266&l=168d957ee6

It was a great day, but I need food. Will post report when done.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2010 9:15 pm 

Well, here is my take on the days and events. I arrived around 10AM with my family at the Lilly Library. After a short introduction by the man in charge, I dove straight into the puzzles that Rox and Jean-Marc were getting into. My interest was, to my surprise, captured the most by the wooden puzzles as opposed to the Twisty puzzles. There were no doubt some cool Twisties, such as the Mental Block (My personal Favorite). Most of the wooden puzzles were trick boxes or hidden compartment puzzles. I was even able to open one on my own, which was a satisfactory feeling.

After all was said and done in terms of the main storage cabinets, I inquired about a shorter roll-away set of metal drawers, and Rox just smiled. We opened it up and she showed me the highlights of its contents as time was running out. Beautiful hand crafted Ivory Tangram-type puzzle sets were inside. They were so wonderful (Pictures amongst Rox's links). A few sets of the ivory ones and 2 books of hand printed shapes to make with them with ivory covers were amongst these highlights as well. The craftsmanship could be seen and felt with the puzzles. They were simply breathtaking.

After the museum, we enjoyed lunch together, which included a few fun puzzles from each others' collections. Apart from what Jean-Marc has already mentioned, we enjoyed a few Crazy puzzles, a Square-2 and Castle Cube made by Smaz, and some Mefferts puzzles such as a flowerminx.

For me, meeting Jean-Marc and Roxanne was worth nearly as much as playing with the puzzles was. It was simply a wonderful, enjoyable time.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 10:17 am 

A bit of a bump: for those who are interested, I have finally made a video/photo compilation from my own camera to show some of the interesting features of the museum. It was slightly delayed because the curators wanted to approve it first and one of them was having some personal issues. In any case, the video is now up and I intend to have the Cheese Block solve video up as soon as I can figure out how to make it shorter. My apologies but you will likely have to turn it up because the audio recording isn't very good.

doctor who wrote: