Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Thu Apr 17, 2014 1:48 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Link problem
PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 4:02 pm 

I recieved this link from an email http://d56538.u22.qwknetllc.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=15350&p=220454&sid=42cbbac0d21982f2298137f630dbaa81#p220454. I thought it was weird but I don't know what it means. Does this happen to anyone else?

"I discovered the triangle one day while shaving. I trimmed my beard like the intersection of three circles and noticed how I could unfog a square in the bathroom mirror by rubbing my beard circularly against the glass."-Franz Reuleaux

Post subject: Re: Link problem
PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 4:14 pm 

I have never had this happen to me, but whoever sent this to you sure knew how to link you to a specific post of a topic :wink:

Wait a second, maybe it just linked you to a certain page of a topic?

My Youtube and Shapeways

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 4:20 pm 

I think that is how the E-mail Friend button works.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 7:20 pm 

Next to the "posted + date" is a little orange letter with the corner folded. If you click that, it will bring you to the url for that exact post. I use it all the time when referring back to previous discussions.

As for emailing that to you, your friend wanted you to start reading from that point I would guess.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 8:01 pm 

It always appears when I do Google searches for puzzles. I don't think it means anything, though I've never bothered to ask.

Shapeways Shop | Youtube Channel

Custom Puzzles For Sale

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 9:24 pm 

I've learned exactly how the links work since I have to get te URLs of every single new puzzle:

viewtopic.php- this is the page the PHP coding is located, which works with the rest of the URL to draw up the page

?- this states that variables will follow. It is PHP syntax for a GET call.

f=X&t=Y&p=Z- X is the category the topic can be found in. Y is the ID of the topic, which is always in chronological order from the first post. Z is the post identity. If you cut this part off, it takes you to the start of the page

&start=0- if this is present, it will go to the top automatically.

&sid=?- this is simply a completely random Hex number that is generated to trick your computer into loading the page instead of pulling up the one from last time you were here. This is so you can edit your posts.

What you've shown us is exactly how all hyperlinks on this site works. The ones on the right column for recent posts, the email notifications, and search results all do the same thing- take you to the exact post rather than the first topic.

As katsmom has stated, you may simply click on that paper with the corner folded for the URL of that exact post. This way you can link to specific posts instead of saying "this topic 2nd page 10th post down". It makes it so the reader doesn't have to search for the post and forget what the topic was originally.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 9:56 pm 

Um, did nobody else notice this part? I'm pretty sure Steryne know how urls work.

http://d56538.u22.qwknetllc.com/

I'm guessing that Sandy buys the server through qwknetllc.com and d56538.u22 is their internal name for the server that twistypuzzles.com is on. I'm not sure why the name is broken. It could be some mail setting that got lost in the latest software update that was just done.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 10:44 pm 

GuiltyBystander wrote:
Um, did nobody else notice this part? I'm pretty sure Steryne know how urls work.

http://d56538.u22.qwknetllc.com/

I'm guessing that Sandy buys the server through qwknetllc.com and d56538.u22 is their internal name for the server that twistypuzzles.com is on. I'm not sure why the name is broken. It could be some mail setting that got lost in the latest software update that was just done.

That was my thought also.

A quick google search of http://d56538.u22.qwknetllc.com/ links right back to twistypuzzles.com, so I'm guessing that it checks out good... But if I received a link like that I would be also concerned also.

Ben

In search of Erno Rubik signed cube.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 9:31 pm 

Steryne wrote:
I recieved this link from an email

Where did the e-mail come from?

As was stated above, twistypuzzles.com (the name I came up with) is basically an alternative name for d56538.u22.qwknetllc.com (the name my host came up with), but the latter shouldn't ever be visible if things are set up correctly. If you can help me identify what generated that URL, I should be able to fix it.

Sandy