Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 2:52 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Welcome to Wiki Waki Wahoo's World of Wonder (Shapeway ?)
PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2010 3:57 pm 

Hello All,

Oskar has given me his blessings to try and offer the Mixup Circle Cube on Shapeways. I just created a shop today.

http://www.shapeways.com/shops/wwwmwww

A bit of history... wwwmwww has been my user ID ever since I've been on line... which is just about as long as there has been a line to be on. A quarter of a century ago back when I was in High School I made up a character for an English project and his name was Wiki Waki Wahoo. Later after the movie Lawn Mower Man came out I told all my friends the sequel would be called Weed Wacker Woman. So when the World Wide Web came along I felt it fitting to join the other www's in my life and thus wwwmwww (or Wiki Waki Wahoo Meets Weed Wacker Woman) was born. Therefore I've named my Shapeway's shop Wiki Waki Wahoo's World of Wonder. All my friends call me Carl. wwwmwww is just my user ID.

Attachment:
ShapeWay.jpg
ShapeWay.jpg [ 195.41 KiB | Viewed 941 times ]

Anyways... I'm looking for tips. Oskar has a nice post here:

http://twistypuzzles.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=218349

But I'm not even at that stage yet. My POV-Ray models aren't meshs so I think I need to learn something new. I have almost zero free time but what little time I do have I love to play with puzzles so I'm willing to give this a try. I'm used to thinking in terms of CSGs so I calculate positions and place boxes, spheres, cones, planes, cyliners, and I rotate and move them around taking intersections and merging things together. None of my models are point and click... I find it hard to see how you can be percise with a mouse. But maybe I'm to old school and need to change. I've got alot of ideas in my head and I know how to get them out but I'm just not sure I can get them out in a form that Shapeways can use. So what is the best software to use to make models if the intent is to upload them to shapeways? Ideally it would be free as that is about the most I can aford at the moment. Either that or I'm looking for someone to partner with. My goal here isn't to make money. My initial goal is just to find a way to bring some of my ideas into the real world and share them with people that might enjoy them so I'd hope to be able to offer my first creations with ZERO markup. Maybe down the road a little pocket change would be nice but that can wait. If you are a similarly minded individual and would be willing to help bring a few dreams to life contact me.

So I'm looking for general tips on shapeways, which software to use, and anyone that enjoys making 3D models that would be willing to turn CSG models into something useable on Shapeways. It would be very low volume as I don't have much time to work on it and I'd rather the motivation not be money but simply love of the hobby and a desire to share. Any help would receive full credit and if there was any money made it would certainly be shared.

Speaking of credit... Oskar would be credited for the Mixup Cube idea. Who is the first person to come up with the "circle" concept? As it applies to twisty puzzles... i.e. fixing a center piece so it doesn't rotate when the rest of the layer turns and seeing what new pieces this creates. I assume the first such puzzle was the circle 3x3x3 but I'm not sure. I'd like to see to it they were credited as well if I were able to offer the Mixup Circle Cube. And Hugo Mak would be credited with making me see these two ideas could be brought together.

Thanks,
Carl

Last edited by wwwmwww on Tue Nov 12, 2013 9:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject: Re: Welcome to Wiki Waki Wahoo's World of Wonder (Shapeway ?)
PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2010 4:18 pm 

I haven't made my shop yet(still need a paypal account) but I can try to help.

For a program, use Blender! It's free and might be able to import the files you use.

To get more shop views, you can add renders and text.

The first was the crazy 4x4x4.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2010 4:59 pm 

PuzzleMaster6262 wrote:

For a program, use Blender! It's free and might be able to import the files you use.

For the love of god stop advertizing blender to people who are looking for CAD software, it simply isn't meant for it, has a huge learning curve, and will have you spend hours on actually making the simplest of puzzle pieces.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2010 5:01 pm 

Namegoeswhere wrote:
PuzzleMaster6262 wrote:

For the love of god stop advertizing blender to people who are looking for CAD software, it simply isn't meant for it, has a huge learning curve, and will have you spend hours on actually making the simplest of puzzle pieces.

That is true :lol: , but it's also free :mrgreen:

It could probably be used to import pov and export it as a mesh.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2010 5:03 pm 

Daqing Bao presented his first circle 4x4x4 here http://twistypuzzles.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=77864 back in October of 2007 but I thought there were circle 3x3x3's before this. Am I mistaken? It seems odd that the 4x4x4 came before the 3x3x3.

Carl

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2010 5:08 pm 

The 4x4x4 came first. It's a simple design once you see the inside.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2010 5:18 pm 

PuzzleMaster6262 wrote:
The 4x4x4 came first. It's a simple design once you see the inside.

Yep, that was posted here in October 2007 (http://www.twistypuzzles.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=7918) and Aleh's Circle 2x2x2 was posted in December 2007 (http://twistypuzzles.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=8445&p=86308#p86308). :D

Alex

YouTube Account: Cubiksrube113

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2010 7:21 pm 

I posted some new pics in the Circle Mixup Cube thread. I've cleaned up the model and all should work now. Here is a simple piece of the finished model.

declare 3x3x3CoreEdge = difference {
union {
intersection {
sphere {<0,0,0>, 2-cut}
box {<.4+2*cut,-1,-.4-2*cut>,<10,1,-10>}
}
intersection {
sphere {<0,0,0>, 2.25-cut}
box {<1+cut,-1+cut,-1-cut>,<10,1-cut,-10>}
}
}
intersection {
sphere {<0,0,0>, 2+cut}
plane {<0,-1,0>, -.4}
}
intersection {
sphere {<0,0,0>, 2+cut}
plane {<0,1,0>, -.4}
}
}

In short its the union of the slice of two spheres with two pieces cut away that are also pieces of spheres. The variable "cut" is half the gap between pieces in the assembled puzzle as its cut off this piece and the pieces next to it as well. Using the simple CSG above could someone show me how to turn that into the format Shapeway needs. This should be the easiest piece in the puzzle.

Thanks,
Carl