Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Thu Apr 17, 2014 5:03 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 791 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16  Next
 Post subject: Re: Cubesmith Update
PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2010 12:03 pm 

MeMyselfAndPi wrote:
So, I currently won't be going for the Megaminx, but I would for the Gigaminx & Teraminx. Even if those cost was up to $20

No plans for Gigaminx or Teraminx tiles yet, but I'll pass the idea along to Chris.

RedRoost80 wrote:
My MF8 minx has those big plastic tiles on it. My apologies, but i won't be getting them because I prefer to use what I have, especially if they can be reapplied (in comparison to Rubik's stickers they fall off for good.)

Understandable...Our tile sets would not be meant as a replacement for the plastic tiles on Megaminx puzzles. We have seen that stickered Megaminx puzzles are becoming available, so our Megaminx tiles would be meant as a replacement for the vinyl stickers.

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2010 3:07 pm 

Pyraminx Crystal sets and singles are now available.
3x3x7 sets and singles are now available.

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2010 8:14 am 

Any chance of a set for the Gear Cube from Mefferts? I'd love a set like the ones Tony Fisher made here: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=17419

Thanks!

-π (Eitan)

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2010 9:38 am 

pirsquared wrote:
Any chance of a set for the Gear Cube from Mefferts? I'd love a set like the ones Tony Fisher made here: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=17419

Thanks!

-π (Eitan)

I'd like that too!

Shapeways Shop | Youtube Channel

Custom Puzzles For Sale

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2010 11:43 am 

I agree. I would pay whatever it takes to get a set o f teraminx tiles.

That would be awesome indeed!

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2010 2:38 pm 

I would like to see tiles for the gigaminx and teraminx also.

If you do Gear Cube tiles, please make them like Tony Fisher's.

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2010 4:26 pm 

pirsquared wrote:

Thanks!

-π (Eitan)

Make sure you ask Tony first though if you do.

Tony Fisher wrote:
MaCheezm0 wrote:
2nd layer using Fisher parts

I very much hope you mean Fisher Cube parts.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2010 12:44 am 

I received a Cubesmith order last week, & here's a look at what I got:

1) Teraminx stickers
2) Super Cube Shepherd stickers
3) Flowerminx stickers
4) Full uncut tile set
5) Chrome stickers
6) Mosaic stickers

I love the Chrome stickers! I have the cube on a napkin to prevent scratches. I plan to spray Shellac on the cube to protect the stickers. I will do so on many of the other puzzles too.

ImageImageImage

The Mosiac stickers are really cool tool. They also seem very durable. They're much thicker then the vinyl stickers. I don't plan to spray this one with Shellac.

ImageImageImage

A few notable things about them is most of the stickers are made up of squares. But the yellow has circles.

Also, instead of green, they used a purple type of color. It's too bad because it really blends with the orange & the red:

You also might think that there would be noticeable pattern differences if all the stickers aren't placed in the same order that they are on the sheet. But you can't tell at all.

The Shepherd Super Cube stickers are awesome! They're prefect! It's cool that my suggestion over a year ago has come into affect! Thank you everyone else who suggested them too!

ImageImage

You don't have that huge color mass you had with the previous super cube stickers. The stickers accurately show the direction each sticker should be. I would certainly buy stickers for the for higher order cubes!

So here's probably the first pictures you've seen of the new tile colors. It's very basic, they added purple, & then 5 lighter colors. I didn't get the florescent orange since it would probably stand out too much in front of the other colors.

I cut them for my Holey Megaminx. That missing piece you see there broke. :shock: Not sure how. I just went to take these pictures & it fell off. I'm attempting to fix it with super glue & a pin. If it's successful, I'll show pictures in another topic.

ImageImageImageImageImageImage

One thing I didn't like about the previous Cubesmith stickers, is how small they were. Too much black showed. I know they were the same size as the original Mefferts Megaminx tiles, but it still bothered me. So I cut my tiles much bigger. They actually turned out a little too big, but I like them much better.

I've uploaded the tile outlines below for anyone to use. Since everyone probably has Word, you should be able to print them with the .doc file. But if you Microsoft Publisher too, you can also edit them with the .pub file. (You'll have to open the zip folder though)
Attachment:
Holey Megaminx Tile Outlines.doc [296 KiB]
Downloaded 123 times
Attachment:
Zipped Holey Megaminx Tile Outlines.zip [15 KiB]
Downloaded 109 times
By the way Crystal, if the pre-cut Megaminx tiles had been available before I had a chance to get the uncut material, I would've bought them instead. I've been thinking on getting a better megaminx then my Chinaminx, & I would certainly go for the pre-cut ones. Even at $12 a set.

Now onto the Flowerminx Stickers. They are so much better then original ones! Those shiny stickers fit perfectly on the pieces!

ImageImageImage

& finally onto the Teraminx stickers:

I got my $63 Meffert's MF8 teraminx a few days ago & I haven't had time to put the rest of the hundreds of stickers on. The fit really well, but the smallest stickers pealed very quickly. My mischievous mother mixed up the puzzle after I got the white side done, & after I solved it, those stickers started pealing quickly:

ImageImage

Kind of hard to see, but that's only after solving the white side. Just imagine it after a couple of solves :oops: So I'm still trying to decide weather to spray these stickers with Shellac, or try to cut tiles for it myself.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2010 5:55 am 

Thanks for that. Great photos. My cubesmith order should be here any day now for my Teraminx stickers. Do you think super gluing down the really small ones would help the lifting?

Thanks.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2010 9:04 am 

Sure, that's what I always did. Try pushing a blob up to the top of the super glue tip, & dip a tooth pick into, then put a VERY SMALL dab onto the sticker. Make sure you get that pointy tip!

Or you could try the Shellac I got from Home Depot. That would cover all of the stickers. I plan to make a video about it soon.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2010 10:34 am 

I'll have to order those flowerminx stickers!

3x3x3 PB: 00:48.10
"Study gravitation, it's a field with a lot of potential."

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2010 10:45 am 

nice, in one of my other hobbies (scratch built vintage airplane models) I use Krylon Crystal Clear to seal and strengthen my tissue covering, Krylon Crystal Clear is a clear spray used to seal various things, craft projects, decoupage, etc. I've also used Future Floor Polish to seal decals on my scale models. Both are hard acrylic coatings and are quite durable.

I almost wonder if either product could be used to seal the stickers, I think the glossy vinyl would be resistant to anything water based though, I'll try an experiment tonight.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2010 5:45 pm 

Let me know how that turns out. I'm having trouble with Shellac chipping off. It keeps getting bumped into stuff though, just from carrying & stuff. But the stickers themselves aren't peeling at all. At least not yet.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2010 8:20 pm 

I sprayed an older cube with Krylon crystal clear, it adhered very well to both the vinyl stickers and plastic and formed a nice protective layer that was smooth with no bumps. doesn't look like the stickers will peel off now but time will tell if it chips or not.

Give it a shot if you want, Crystal clear is about 4 or 5 bucks at walmart etc, if it works out for you then great.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 4:47 pm 

pirsquared wrote:

Thanks!

-π (Eitan)

I made a test set this week and they look good. Quite delicate to sticker on the small pieces but overall they look nice. I'll post a pic this weekend here and they should be on the site next week some time.

Buy online at http://www.cubesmith.com

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 5:00 pm 

i used the mf8 stickers for these parts as they are bigger and hand cut on vinyl sheets for the colours i didnt have...they seem to stick just fine ..

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 11:29 am 

Here are pictures of the Gear Cube stickers we should have up on the site this week. I only labeled one side to give you an idea of the fit, but full sets will be available of coarse.

Cubesmith

Attachments:
Gear reg.jpg
Gear reg.jpg [ 73.83 KiB | Viewed 6250 times ]
Gear Fisher.jpg
Gear Fisher.jpg [ 74.2 KiB | Viewed 6250 times ]

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 10:43 am 

sickers look awesome it looks harder to solve though :solved: :scrambled: :solved: :scrambled: :solved: :scrambled: :solved: :scrambled:

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 11:22 am 

Yay! Now I want to get a Gear Cube thanks to those stickers! I'd also like to mention that I did a $60 order yesterday, which for me is pretty big, as it just for stickers.

Buy the Curvy Copter Skewb, NovaMinx, and more here!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 2:00 pm 

So Jello33, are you Chris Licciardi, or another employee like Crystal (cubegrrrl)? This is the first time I've seen you in this thread.

As for those Gear Cube stickers, they looks awesome! But I think they would peal very easily. Try giving that cube a lot of use & compare they're strength to the original stickers. If they start pealing right away, it may be a good idea to offer both sets of stickers for the Gear Cube. As for me, I'll just spray like Shellac, or Crystal Clear to protect the stickers.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 2:08 pm 

IMO the cubesmith gear cube stickers don't show enough plastic.

Just my 2 cents.

http://www.youtube.com/user/336616

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 2:25 pm 

the gear cube looks nice.
I think you should stock up on helicopter cube tiles. The "stock" stickers are a little dull (closest word I can conjure up) and they would give it a very clean finish.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2010 12:29 am 

336616 wrote:

I agree they could be slightly smaller. Although they probably did this so that the centre edges wouldn't be too thin. I wonder how it would look if you made those from two pieces.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2010 1:47 pm 

Just want to second MM&Π's interest in higher order 6 color Shepherd's sets. Particularly for a 4x4x4. And yes, I'm the same HeavyTanHat that emailed you (you being CubeSmith) about them, I just can't wait! :D

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2010 7:58 pm 

[quote="MeMyselfAndPi"]So Jello33, are you Chris Licciardi, or another employee like Crystal (cubegrrrl)? This is the first time I've seen you in this thread.

Yes this is Chirs, I just haven't posted in a while.

As to the size of these stickers, they are actually .01" smaller all the way around then the files posted on these boards. The only place i didn't reduce the size was on the very middle of the inner pieces. If i made the middle stickers much smaller they wouldn't have much adhesive area, much bigger and the hang over too much. Kind of a catch22 thing but I think the look and apply pretty well at this size.

I of coarse will have the original style sets available too.

Cubesmith

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 1:33 am 

HeavyTanHat wrote:
Just want to second MM&Π's interest in higher order 6 color Shepherd's sets. Particularly for a 4x4x4. And yes, I'm the same HeavyTanHat that emailed you (you being CubeSmith) about them, I just can't wait! :D

Got the one color sets up tonight...I'll get the 6 color sets up soon.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 10:28 am 

336616 wrote:

Just my 2 cents.

Once the puzzle is turned, then the amount of plastic will change compared to sitting flush.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 1:51 pm 

Okay guys, the 4x4x4 and 5x5x5 six color Shepherd's sets are now up...We've reorganized things a bit on the site, and they are now listed as Supercube sets. http://cubesmith.com/Supercube%20Sticker%20Sets.htm

We have also added a new Square-1 set. We are calling this color combination the Japanese Color Scheme. It will have blue and green for the top and bottom (triangular stickers), yellow and white for the side with the long center sticker, and orange and red for the side with the cut center. http://cubesmith.com/square1.htm

I am working on the gearcube stickers next.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 1:55 pm 

I'm looking forward to getting these Shephard Cube Stickers, a bit of variation in solving a 4x4x4 or 5x5x5. Just a question though, what is the point with the Harry Potter stickers. They don't seem any different from the Rubik's 2x2x2 sets.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 1:59 pm 

SEBUVER wrote:
I'm looking forward to getting these Shephard Cube Stickers, a bit of variation in solving a 4x4x4 or 5x5x5. Just a question though, what is the point with the Harry Potter stickers. They don't seem any different from the Rubik's 2x2x2 sets.

The Harry Potter ones are 1 inch square and the Rubiks ones are .68 inches square.

Tony Fisher wrote:
MaCheezm0 wrote:
2nd layer using Fisher parts

I very much hope you mean Fisher Cube parts.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 9:35 pm 

Just got the gear cube sets and singles up. For these cubes, we're offering two sticker variations, the original and the Fisher's. There are three different set combinations available for each sticker pattern, and of course singles of everything. It's been a long week, and this page took me forever to make, so let me know if you guys find anything I should correct :) Thanks!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 10:17 pm 

I would like to thank chris and crystal for the excellent quality of all the stickers I have recieved from them. If you don't mind, I would like to ask a few questions about your site.

1. Why are the shadeshifting stickers discontinued?

2. could the tile material be made avalible in larger sheets? (This would make it more convenient for me because I would only have to order one as apposed to 3 or 4)

3. Do you have any plans to sell actual cubes on your site?

Thank you for listening :D

Mourning my Grandfather

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 11:17 pm 

drew11 wrote:
I would like to thank chris and crystal for the excellent quality of all the stickers I have recieved from them. If you don't mind, I would like to ask a few questions about your site.

2. could the tile material be made avalible in larger sheets? (This would make it more convenient for me because I would only have to order one as apposed to 3 or 4)

http://www.cubesmith.com/FAQ.htm

more precisely: http://www.cubesmith.com/FAQ.htm#SellCubes

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2010 8:27 am 

drew11 wrote:

I believe the reason was that their supplier stopped carrying it.

(I asked them a while ago and IIRC this was the reason.)

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 1:09 pm 

In response to chris' post in another thread (instead of taking that one off topic)

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE HELICOPTER CUBE TILES.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 1:38 pm 

theVDude wrote:
PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE HELICOPTER CUBE TILES.
I would buy a set of these as long as Helicopter Cubes were still available when these become available (no idea how long this will be). In the mean time I'm looking forward to Helicopter Cube stickers and hope they come soon :)

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 3:52 pm 

drew11 wrote:

1. hikeeba is correct, our supplier discontinued the material and we were unable to find another source for it. We have some of the material left, but aside from the gold/silver and blue/red, it is all cut already. So if you see it on the site, we have it, and will continue to sell it until our stock runs out.

2. yes, just email us at orders@cubesmith.com and we can discuss size and cost.

3. Logan Kelly already provided a link, but to answer your question, we do not have plans at this time to sell puzzles, though it's not out of the question for the future (we have looked into it in the past).

I know we are working on helicopter cube stickers...no plans for tiles yet, as far as I know.

Last edited by cubegrrrl on Wed Aug 11, 2010 4:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 11:22 am 

Helicopter Cube sets and singles are now available http://cubesmith.com/Helicopter%20Cube.htm
We've also added Crazy 3x3x2 singles.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 11:47 am 

Excellent news! I have a back log of stickers I’ve wanted to order but have been waiting for these. I’ll place the order tonight :)

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 9:43 pm 

Helicopter tiles are large enough, that it should be fairly easy, with the help of a shearing table and protractor, to cut the required 45-45-90 tiles out of raw material. Cubesmith said that the reason for not offering more tile sets for other puzzles, is that the custom stamps they use to punch out the tiles are highly expensive, and thus they have to sell many, many tile sets to break even on the die cost. For stickers, they only have to load a template into the vinyl plotter. Thus, cubesmith is only going to sell tile sets for common puzzles, and cubes are by far much more common than the more exotic puzzle types. :scrambled:

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 4:14 am 

hurray for cubesmith! so many new products! cool that you can actually keep up with the demand here! :)

My puzzles in the Museum
My Website
My Youtube Channel

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 10:24 am 

Just wanted to let you guys know that we have changed the pattern for our Fisher style gear cube stickers. It is the same design, each sticker is just a little smaller around the edges so they will fit the puzzle pieces better. Orders placed after 9/22/2010 will receive the new sticker pattern.

We've also added single Small Size 3x3x3 white, black, and fluorescent orange logo sticker to the logos page.

Helicopter Cube tile sets will be coming soon!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 10:30 am 

cubegrrrl wrote:
Helicopter Cube tile sets will be coming soon!
Can't wait for these!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 11:15 am 

Agreed. But first I need my Helicopter Cubes! I'm also glad about the smaller logos.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 1:55 pm 

Now I need to order yet another Helicopter Cube :)

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 6:29 pm 

Helicopter tile sets and singles are up: http://cubesmith.com/Helicopter%20Cube%20Tiles.htm

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 11:32 pm 

Whoa, it's certainly rare to have a new set of tiles come out. :shock:

Oh, in case you not aware, the link the on the tiles page isn't there. So the only way to order helicopter tiles now is clicking on the link you provided here, or on a google search.

Come to think of it, it might be kind of convenient to have a link to the tiles page from the sticker sets. So lets say you're looking at 3x3 stickers, but then decide you want to look at 3x3 tiles. You could have a link there that says something like, "click hear for 3x3 tiles." That would probably encourage browsing more.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2010 2:39 am 

The link works, but just the writing, not the image of the Helicopter Cube. I do agree with Pi that there should be links on the individual products page. What would also be nice to see in the future is lubricant. The new Lubix Cube lube is apparently very good, and I'd like to see it on your (metaphorical) shelves one day. :)

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2010 10:26 am 

SEBUVER wrote:
The link works, but just the writing, not the image of the Helicopter Cube. I do agree with Pi that there should be links on the individual products page. What would also be nice to see in the future is lubricant. The new Lubix Cube lube is apparently very good, and I'd like to see it on your (metaphorical) shelves one day. :)

Look for Lubix lube to be available from Cubesmith soon :)

If you can't see any of the new links or products, just hit refresh - sometimes you're looking at a cached version of the page. I'll add the link to the image, as well as some links from stickers to tiles soon.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2010 1:28 pm 

cubegrrrl wrote:
Now that we have enough tile colors, we have begun to plan for a Megaminx tile set. It seems, though, that to cover our production costs and make them worth selling (from a business perspective), we will need to sell the 12 color set for $12. This will include one face each of white/black, yellow, red, orange, blue, green, purple, light blue, light green, light orange, pink, and light purple. Before we invest the time and money in these, we want to know how many people are going to be willing to pay that much for a tile set...I know a lot of people have asked for Megaminx tile sets, but maybe have not considered that it is a 12 sided puzzle, and at $1 a side for tiles, that adds up quick. So, let me know here whether you guys would have any interest in buying them, and I'll pass your comments on to Chris. Thanks :)

3x3x7 and pyraminx crystal sticker sets and singles will be up this week :scrambled:

I would definitely buy Megaminx tiles.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 791 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16  Next