Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Tue Jul 22, 2014 8:25 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: The Ring of Torture or Something
PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 8:52 am 

Like the Octo-puzzle, with literally a new twist.

Last edited by Draconic on Mon Mar 22, 2010 6:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: It deserves a diferent topic.
PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 4:44 pm 

Looks very nice, but what does it do, how does it work?

PS. This topic certainly deserves a meaningful title! [Edit: that's a bit better, thanks :) ... though I still can't tell what this thing does?]

Post subject: Re: The Ring of Torture or Something
PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 4:53 am 

It's like this only more evil.

http://twistypuzzles.com/cgi-bin/puzzle.cgi?pkey=759

3x3x3 PB: 00:48.10
"Study gravitation, it's a field with a lot of potential."

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 8:22 pm 

Augh! Geometry fail.

I made the slidy piece, buuutttt I assembled it (virtually) and saw a major design flaw I should've seen. New mech below.

Oh, and the AutoDesk Inventor DVD's came. Now I can work on it on this computer, which I have much more access to.

Attachments:
concept1.png
concept1.png [ 7.61 KiB | Viewed 4944 times ]

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2010 4:08 pm 

Now that Inventor has been installed on computer, my pace has greatly increased.

Attachments:
RingPuzzleComplete.png
RingPuzzleComplete.png [ 103.06 KiB | Viewed 4811 times ]
RingPuzzleComplete2.png
RingPuzzleComplete2.png [ 81.89 KiB | Viewed 4811 times ]
RingPuzzleComplete3.png
RingPuzzleComplete3.png [ 84.34 KiB | Viewed 4811 times ]

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2010 5:13 pm 

this thing is sweet and you better build it
or i will. lol

Clay: Barrel cube?...Why? It's such a Geometrical contradiction...I don't understand[/size]
Eva:?

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2010 11:13 pm 

Clay n Eva Creations wrote:
or i will. lol

:lol:

Im With Frank!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 6:29 pm 

I just ordered the parts from Shapeways with the money I got from my 16th birthday, and not only that but I got a dremel as a present too :D

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 6:48 pm 

wow it will be an awesome puzzle
but i'm scared about the alignement
i hope it'll not be too hard to turn

but still an awesome idea

simese cube : 49,05 avg: 1:01,76 (i'll have the sub-1)

I'M WITH FRANK!!!!!!!!!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 7:00 pm 

Hey, does anyone have links for guides on Molding/Casting and recommended materials?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 7:21 pm 

Drew made a pretty good puzzle casting tutorial here.

For rubber, most people use either OOMOO 25/30 or Mold Max 30 from Smooth-On. Mold Max is better if you have a scale (it is less likely to tear), but OOMOO works if you don't have one. For resin, Smooth-Cast 300 and Alumilite Regular are good for casting (though I don't have experience with Alumilite). I live about 20 minutes from a Smooth-Cast distributor, so I go there for casting materials. If you live outside of the US, I'm not sure what is best (or what is available, for that matter), so you would have to ask someone else.

Have fun and good luck casting! :D

My Shapeways shop

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 5:53 am 

Make a new topic in the "New puzzles section"... NOW! :lol: :lol:

Please post it withing the hour you recieve it! lol

:mrgreen: Greg :mrgreen:

My Website on Twisty Puzzles with Gears

Grégoire Pfennig

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 1:16 pm 

Heh... thanks for your enthusiasm. I've invested $150 into this little project, half for 3D printing and half for molding materials. Hopefully I can sell this well... I'll auction off the first one on eBay and then mass produce a bunch, as long as the demand is there. They'll probably be sold for about $75 each, or more or less depending on the price from eBay. I have some good plans for that cash. I'm writing a book right now, so I might get an iPad, rofl.

The masters should be arriving within a week, then it will probably take two or three days to mold and cast them. There are exactly 200 parts to cast.

Also, I need some help with the mold/casting...

Any idea on how I can do it with this?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 1:29 pm 

Draconic wrote:
Heh... thanks for your enthusiasm. I've invested $150 into this little project, half for 3D printing and half for molding materials. Hopefully I can sell this well... I'll auction off the first one on eBay and then mass produce a bunch, as long as the demand is there. They'll probably be sold for about $75 each, or more or less depending on the price from eBay. I have some good plans for that cash. I'm writing a book right now, so I might get an iPad, rofl.

The masters should be arriving within a week, then it will probably take two or three days to mold and cast them. There are exactly 200 parts to cast.

Also, I need some help with the mold/casting...

Any idea on how I can do it with this?

If you just have the masters, i say: make molds with legos and clay and then with silicon molding, and then do that casting part with whichever casting material you have.....

But if you have all the pieces for 1 puzzle, i say.... POST... IT... NOOOOOOOOOOOOWWWWW.... :evil: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :evil: ...... And then, If you just have the masters, i say: make molds with legos and clay and then with silicon molding, and then do that casting part with whichever casting material you have..... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Grégoire Pfennig

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 2:40 pm 

I doubt that was his question.

That shape is very tricky to mold yes, but you should be able to pull it out in a curve.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 2:57 pm 

Namegoeswhere wrote:
I doubt that was his question.

That shape is very tricky to mold yes, but you should be able to pull it out in a curve.

I know but I can't help him :oops:

Anyways, i'm still waiting for the results! :D

:lol: Greg :lol:

Grégoire Pfennig

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 3:50 pm 

Namegoeswhere wrote:
I agree, the curvature is not so much that it would be a problem. But you will want to carefully sand those grooves. Enough to make it smooth (1000+ sandpaper followed by plain paper) but not so much that you make it loose.

If it is not smooth you will probably tear up your mold quite quickly removing the piece.

Good luck!

Dave

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 1:18 pm 

Awesome!
I really want to see it! This will be great! Good look! (I hope so for your sake now, that we know what to expect and our hopes up... :lol: :lol: )

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2010 8:05 pm 

dude that's gonna be a beastly puzzle
cant wait to see it :P

I'm a youtuber =D

hey look ^

Rest In Peace Frank

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 8:52 am 

Booh yah!

The masters came yesterday. Sanding them down and polishing them is a pain so far... this is my first time making a puzzle this way so I didn't account for the 3D Priner's imperfectness (3DPI).

I've also discovered some errors. See the grooves at the bottom of the main groove on the part above (the ones that look like the side of a pie dish)? Due to the 3DPI, the groove is intereferring with the rail... but I've also realized that, due to simple geometry, that sub-groove is completely unecessary. It's a ring, but the rail isn't inserted even close to a 90 degeree angle, so it's not coming out, sub-groove for not. So I had to do a fair bit of careful sanding to make sure the rails actually worked... it's pretty smooth so far. Still all liney and wavy, but I'm not done with sanding.

Also, the sliding piece (the colored rings from above) is super fragile, and I need to sand the Rails for that one... but they're near the wall of the pieces so I'd have to be very careful. The sliding piece really is pretty thin, so I might have to re-model it and make it larger so it can actually fit on the rails that the imperfect printer made.

But... what's THE fastest way to get this printed and sent to my door? Like, what company is really quick with it. There's no way I'm waiting another week for just this little thing...

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 9:23 am 

Draconic wrote:
Booh yah!

The masters came yesterday. Sanding them down and polishing them is a pain so far... this is my first time making a puzzle this way so I didn't account for the 3D Priner's imperfectness (3DPI).

I've also discovered some errors. See the grooves at the bottom of the main groove on the part above (the ones that look like the side of a pie dish)? Due to the 3DPI, the groove is intereferring with the rail... but I've also realized that, due to simple geometry, that sub-groove is completely unecessary. It's a ring, but the rail isn't inserted even close to a 90 degeree angle, so it's not coming out, sub-groove for not. So I had to do a fair bit of careful sanding to make sure the rails actually worked... it's pretty smooth so far. Still all liney and wavy, but I'm not done with sanding.

Also, the sliding piece (the colored rings from above) is super fragile, and I need to sand the Rails for that one... but they're near the wall of the pieces so I'd have to be very careful. The sliding piece really is pretty thin, so I might have to re-model it and make it larger so it can actually fit on the rails that the imperfect printer made.

But... what's THE fastest way to get this printed and sent to my door? Like, what company is really quick with it. There's no way I'm waiting another week for just this little thing...

POST... VIDEO... NOOOOWWW :lol: :lol: :lol:

As soon as you're finished with the puzzle post a video, i want to see it bad!! Oh and dont forget to sned me a free copy ;)

Grégoire Pfennig

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2010 8:31 pm 

The mold for the central core is done. I just need to redesign the sliding pieces and sand down a few of the other parts. I also need to make sure the rails are all the same size.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 3:27 pm 

GAH! Not good... the first mold I made for the central core, a two-part mold of course... I forgot to use mold release and now the two parts are completely fused together. I'm not able to tear them apart...

Is there any way to fix this? Boiling it? Anything? Or do I just have to trust my hands and cut it open...?

EDIT: I just cut it open, looks fine.

Not bad for my first mold :D

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 11:16 am 

Draconic wrote:
GAH! Not good... the first mold I made for the central core, a two-part mold of course... I forgot to use mold release and now the two parts are completely fused together. I'm not able to tear them apart...

Is there any way to fix this? Boiling it? Anything? Or do I just have to trust my hands and cut it open...?

EDIT: I just cut it open, looks fine.

Not bad for my first mold :D

Great news, now me want the puzzle ... NOW :p like always... :lol: :lol: :lol:

Grégoire Pfennig

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 3:10 pm 

Hehe... it might be awhile. I still need to redesign the sliding piece, and I need to make sure the tracks for the sliding piece have a uniform size, and I still need to polish a couple of the masters and then I need to make the molds. Oh, and I need to buy more molding rubber. And then I need to cast everything. And paint the sliding pieces.

Any questions?

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 6:18 pm 

Heh it's been awhile...

I remodeled the one part that didn't work and recently re-ordered it. Once I get those I'll sand down all the parts (I haven't even gotten to those...) and will make the molds (I might re-make the one I messed up on, it's since but it doesn't have the lip for Drew's method).

I miiiiggghhhhtttt get it done before May ends.

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 7:56 pm 

I had this idea too a long time ago... But I never came up with solutions you did about come of the problems. This will be an epic first puzzle. I luck forward to recording it into the puzzles of the year history. HOWEVER I'll need to see it made first.

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 4:57 pm 

Rentlix wrote:
I had this idea too a long time ago... But I never came up with solutions you did about come of the problems. This will be an epic first puzzle. I luck forward to recording it into the puzzles of the year history. HOWEVER I'll need to see it made first.

Yah yah yah quiet.

(Oh, and what problem were those?)

Oh, I'm just posting that the remodeled masters came in the mail just minutes ago. I'll start sanding the ALL the pieces "now"...

Oh, and in a coincidental event of fortune I discovered that Shapeways requires a >$25 purchase, so I had to order 5 of the remodeled parts. And this is the part I need to make 64 of.

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 5:54 pm 

You did in fact problem solve to make this. In fact, you had to remodel the parts, right? So there was a problem.

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2010 2:44 pm 

Hahahahaaaahahahaaa!!!!!! I'm done with this super massive school project that has been munching away at my time for the last month or so. It was annoyingly large, I mean as in it felt like the last day of school on Friday when I turned it in... sooooo I have FINALLY found the time to do this:-

Please note I did drive out the air bubbles until they stopped coming out.

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 7:15 am 

Ugh... [Censored. Please be nice!] [Censored. Please be nice!] [Censored. Please be nice!] [Censored. Please be nice!] [Censored. Please be nice!]....

Well, the mold I made is ruined. I used mold release, one that I thought would work, one that the internet said should work... but it didn't. I had to cut the mold in half again but I didn't quite get it right... $60 down the drain.

So, I would like some help. If you can make a couple molds for me, I'll reimburse you for your time and materials.

I promised a lot of people I'd get this done before school is out, and I only have two weeks before that. I'll have to read up on molding more... but for now I don't want to practice on this.

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2010 9:35 am 

Just some quick advice - I went through six sets of molds before I got it right, so practice with smaller molds to save some money... Also, you really might want to consider getting your clay smoother before putting the pieces in - use a large putty knife or something similar to scape the clay on the top, build the legos up higher after that, and then put your pieces in... This made a huge difference for me - And you can use Vaseline for release and that worked well for me too - Hope this helps.

Edit: These are the videos that helped me the most: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Y0dhgK4 ... re=related

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2010 9:38 am 

Thanks.

I'll have to but softer clay because this blue stuff is an absolute pain.

I'll look around more on the internet, and Alumite Forums, to see if Vaseline will work as a release for this kind of rubber.

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2010 12:15 pm 

If your clay is too hard, try putting it in the microwave for a few seconds. As it gets warm it softens up a bit. What rubber are you using? To my knowledge vaseline works fine for most mold making rubber. Just be sure to spread it on smooth.

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2010 12:27 pm 

and generously.

"I discovered the triangle one day while shaving. I trimmed my beard like the intersection of three circles and noticed how I could unfog a square in the bathroom mirror by rubbing my beard circularly against the glass."-Franz Reuleaux

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 11:07 am 

The rubber is Alumite-brand Silicone (HIII). It's about the only molding material I can find in my local hobby store... that's were I went first and last. I'll check Home Depot, they'd probably have something... actually I'll stick with the silicone. There's nothing wrong with it (but it is a PAIN to clean off of things) and it's easy to use. All I need is a sealant.

Yah this'll work out.

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 1:20 pm 

So when you get them cast are you going to sell or auction them.

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 4:07 pm 

Once it's cast and painted I'll see if it's good enough to auction off. If I get a good price I'll sell them at a fixed price based on the bid. This is my first build so that might not happen.

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2010 1:11 pm 

I am completely out of funds for this project, save enough money for 1/3 of the silicone I need. 100 for the printing, 100 for the wasted silicone, 70 in UNUSED casting material, I estimate 30 in paint, and 100 for the requisite silicone I still need, for a total of ~$400. Luckily, once I actually get the bloody molds done, I can just cast them a few dozen times (16 for one mold and 8 for another per puzzle) for more than one puzzle... at least even if I can't sell it I can still have a one of a kind puzzle I made myself. It's pretty cool looking, isn't it? Quite the first build. If it's not sell-worthy I'll be selling the .STL's (after some tweaking of the Inventor files, to account for a single redundancy and for tolerances).

I'll have to borrow $70 from my parents. I didn't want to do that, though since the $300 dollars have all been gifts from relatives... but, I don't have any allowance of any kind, not even for huge chores. Though, oh never mind I'll pay them back. I WILL auction off the first puzzle and I know I can get something for offering the .STL's (probably $20 for all 6 parts).

Seeing as this is my first build AND it's pretty complex one that has, so far, only had one major [Censored. Please be nice!]-up (forgot mold release), it's going fine. By nature I have a knack for the spatial thinking required for this sort of thing, and I already have the mechanisms down for some other sweet puzzles (though I haven't designed them in Inventor yet).

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2010 1:28 pm 

At least, once I finish this, I'll get a good feeling of ACHIEVEDGASM.

But right now it's left me in despair and is eating away at my sanity.