Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Fri Apr 18, 2014 7:00 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: display cases
PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 3:59 pm 

I've been looking around for some time now for some kind of small display case for my collection. I wanted some small individual cases (something similar to a baseball display case?) and also something larger to put multiple puzzles in, but something that is airtight so dust doesn't collect inside.

Does anyone know of a decent place to get anything like this? I'd like to spend as little as possible, as my girlfriend doesn't really think I should spend money on puzzles as it is :P

Thanks!

Post subject: Re: display cases
PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 9:11 pm 

trixter wrote:
I've been looking around for some time now for some kind of small display case for my collection. I wanted some small individual cases (something similar to a baseball display case?) and also something larger to put multiple puzzles in, but something that is airtight so dust doesn't collect inside.

Does anyone know of a decent place to get anything like this? I'd like to spend as little as possible, as my girlfriend doesn't really think I should spend money on puzzles as it is :P

Thanks!

You could consider purchasing clear plexiglass or plastic and building your own, but I'd only recommend that if you had a small collection.

3x3x3 PB: 00:48.10
"Study gravitation, it's a field with a lot of potential."

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 10:01 pm 

I have quite a few boxes made in Japan. They are clear, and used mainly for storing figurines. You might want to look into that. I don't know where you wourl get them in the states though. I just head down to the wholesale shops.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 6:13 pm 

You could buy some display case that people use for model cars, they come in many different sizes.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 6:39 pm 

http://www.CurioCabinetShowroom.com/

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2010 12:35 am 

Thanks, I was originally looking for something small and not furniture-like. Maybe something more closely related to a baseball/football display case? I found a couple of places with the baseball cases and such for a decent price but then I started thinking...why not put all of my puzzles in a case? Well, buying individual baseball cases was out of the question then, as I have upwards of 80 puzzles.

So I looked through the link you just posted with the cabinets and found a couple there and also at a place called Gemo Displays > http://www.gemodisplays.com/512-3212.html < is one I liked. This way I could put what I have in here and still have room to grow! :) unfortunately this thing is quite expensive! So it will be quite a while before I can afford to get anything like this, unless I find one in a garage sale or something

I would still like some smaller cases for individual puzzles in the meantime, so if anyone finds any, please let me know! Something large enough to fit a Golden Cube, I assume it's the largest, or maybe a Pyraminx Crystal might be bigger? I dunno...

Also, I've wondered about the stand on the inside of the case to hold the puzzle in place...at first I thought about cutting pieces of acrylic to fit the shape/angle of the puzzle, then I thought about just hotgluing a rubik's stand to the bottom of the case. What are your thoughts?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2010 10:50 am 

Would this work: :)
http://www.casesforcollectibles.com/acr ... nAodjiXDlA

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2010 10:53 am 

Wow I was just about to make this thread because I need one for my signed Golden Cube on its way.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 3:31 am 

Try the Ikea Bertby.

This is what I am using here.

For IPP29 quite a few Ikea Biby cases were bought and I wound up with two of them afterwards. They have a lock, which is nice when you have young kids for whom a cabinet full of brightly colored puzzles will attract less than gentle hands. The problem is each shelf is about 12 inches tall. I laser cut 4.5mm acrylic in between shelves and built pillars out of acrylic tube to hold them so I double the shelf space. I'll have to post pictures some time.

In general, Ikea will probably have a number of reasonably priced solutions for you. I need to get myself a few Billy bookcases next...

Dave

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 4:33 am 

DLitwin wrote:
In general, Ikea will probably have a number of reasonably priced solutions for you. I need to get myself a few Billy bookcases next...

Dave

Billy can look like this...

Please excuse the unfavorable lighting conditions, I just snapped this picture in response to David's remark.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 7:32 am 

DLitwin wrote:
Try the Ikea Bertby.
Dave

This is how Bertby looks like when filled:

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 8:34 am 

Here is what I did a while ago with some Ikea Billy cases:

viewtopic.php?p=121677#p121677

Since I took those older pictures I have added more shelves (and many more puzzles). I should take some updated pictures some day soon.