Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Thu Apr 17, 2014 7:26 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Meffert's January puzzle of the month
PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 9:50 am 

Ok, I have been given the go ahead to post this here.

January will see not one, but 6 puzzles released. All of them are old favorites that have been out of stock for a while.

1) Skewb black with florescent labels
2) Skewb white with florescent labels
3) Skewb black diamond with oracal vinyl labels
4) Skewb white diamond with oracle vinyl labels
5) Skewb Ultimate white or black with 12 colors of oracle vinyl label
6) Skewb Ultimate white or black with original florescent labels

They are now being assembled, and should be ready for shipping within 2 weeks. Yes, it's late. To make a long story short, there was a problem with moving the molds from one factory to another and customs. Those molds traveled around more than I do in China. But they made it to the factory nice and safe without being confiscated, and are working overtime to get themselves ready for shipping. Don't you just feel so sorry for them. The poor dears didn't even get time to rest after their travels and they were immediately put to work :lol:

You should be able to place orders within the next day or two.

I know that he said it would be a new puzzle each month for the year-technically, these are new. They are being made with white plastic :lol: The skewb ultimate has never been released with 12 colors.

February's puzzle is molded and almost ready for manufacture. It looks as though that one will be late February rather than early.

And just a word of warning on that. Chinese New Year is on 14 February. You may not know that many factories close down for a period of one to two weeks during this time. Because of the holiday, we may not see February until March, but I will guarantee that you will love both February's and March's puzzles! Isn't that right Dr. Panda (sneaking peeks when you shouldn't be :lol: )

Post subject: Re: Meffert's January puzzle of the month
PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 9:54 am 

Right, time to plan the next order:

Black and White Skewbs
Black and White Skewb Diamonds
Black and White 12 Coloured Skewb Ultimates.

Buy the Curvy Copter Skewb, NovaMinx, and more here!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 10:01 am 

Ah, so the beans are spilt and the cat's out of the bag! Thank you for the news. :D

I enjoyed your story immensely. Thank you for the humor.

Decisions, decisions.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 10:04 am 

Finally I get to have a chance to own a geniue skewb diamond! :P

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 10:06 am 

Having known about this release for a while, I felt like an expectant father, or the husband of a mail order bride. "Where are they", The poor molds probably thought "Are we there yet"

You remember that movie, Planes, Trains, and Automobiles? Well, that is kind of the story of this set of molds. But they are here and working so alls well that ends well. I'm guessing the price is as listed currently on the website-but no quotes.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 10:09 am 

katsmom wrote:
Because of the holiday, we may not see February until March, but I will guarantee that you will love both February's and March's puzzles! Isn't that right Dr. Panda (sneaking peeks when you shouldn't be :lol: )

Oh... you mean the time when Uwe was searching for the Jade puzzle prototype which was deep inside
his magic "Sport-Billy-alike" bag, and to find it, he had to take out some *other* puzzles!

Well... would you believe me that I suffered temporary blindness and I saw nothing?

:mrgreen: :lol:

Pantazis

Educational R&D, Gravity, 4D Symmetry, Puzzle Ninja, Matrix Mech, Alien Technology.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 10:56 am 

Awe. I just finished being sneaky and bought this to swap pieces to make a Skewb and Skewb Ultimate.

I still need a Skewb Diamond so thats cool too.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 11:44 am 

YES! Skewb Diamonds that aren't Mohzi!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 1:35 pm 

Actually, it's kinda disappointing about the skewb diamonds because I have two originals that now will most likely be lesser in value now that they've been re-released. Or are these new ones different in some way? Mine are both stickered. It would have been cool to get tiled versions, but whatever. Guess I'm just being overprotective of my collection, but now I will be much more careful about paying a lot for a mefferts puzzle that was discontinued.
I am excited about getting a real white mefferts diamond tho, that's cool.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 2:23 pm 

I'm looking forward to getting an actual skewb. :D YAY!

3x3x3 PB: 00:48.10
"Study gravitation, it's a field with a lot of potential."

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 3:40 pm 

2 Skewb in Black*
2 Skewb Diamond in Black*
1 Skewb Ultimate in Black

Hello more debt.

*1 each to keep, 1 each for building Cuboctahedral Skewb and Skewb-Diamond Compound.

I pledge allegiance to the whole of humanity, and to the world in which we live: one people under the heavens, indivisible, with Liberty and Equality for all.

My Shapeways Shop

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 5:24 pm 

Wonderful news. I have been hoping for Meffert's to make more skewbs and Ultimate Skewb's. Thank-you for the info katsmom.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 5:45 pm 

flambore wrote:
Actually, it's kinda disappointing about the skewb diamonds because I have two originals that now will most likely be lesser in value now that they've been re-released. Or are these new ones different in some way? Mine are both stickered. It would have been cool to get tiled versions, but whatever. Guess I'm just being overprotective of my collection, but now I will be much more careful about paying a lot for a mefferts puzzle that was discontinued.
I am excited about getting a real white mefferts diamond tho, that's cool.

Even without owning a skewb diamond I completely agree.

Ofcourse it is not a bad thing when things get reproduced, but when it is at one point told that a puzzle will never be remade again, and the next moment it is reproduced....
I have bought a few puzzles knowing that if I ever wished to own them, I would need to buy them now as they wouldn't be made again.
Now it seems I just overpayed for them..
I will get one of the skewb diamonds though, I have allways loved them and didn't want the cheap KO, I guess I saved myself some money on that one..

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 5:55 pm 

From viewtopic.php?p=192790#p192790

katsmom wrote:
Retr0 wrote:
But if they don't plan on making different molds, then all that's going to happen is the re-release of puzzles, right? Somewhere down the line there must be different molds.

To set the record straight (as far as I have been told) There are 12 NEW PUZZLES coming out.

Each of these takes a different mold, and in some cases two or three molds.

Does white plastic require new molds?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 6:28 pm 

Re-releases require new molds, usually.

Molds do get old.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 7:09 pm 

EMarx wrote:
Re-releases require new molds, usually.

Molds do get old.

Machined metal ones should hold up to quite a bit, though.

It's not like they're using rubber.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 9:25 pm 

I'm sure Rox can tell you, even machined metal molds get old. :D

I wasn't thinking rubber.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 12:30 am 

The January puzzles are using the old molds. That doesn't mean they are bad or will be of poorer quality. Remember, these were only used for a couple thousand puzzles.

The same molds are used no matter what the color of the plastic. They just get cleaned before the new color goes in. This could be in the form of a good scrubbing, or it could be pushing through the new color until all the old is gone. Depends on the system the factory uses. (I have a few puzzles that are swirled because of the 'mold cleaning')

All the other puzzles require new molds be made. They are made of metal, not rubber.

The jade puzzle molds have been coated in another type of metal to make them last longer. Sorry, I can't remember the name of the material used.

Namegoeswhere wrote:
Of course it is not a bad thing when things get reproduced, but when it is at one point told that a puzzle will never be remade again, and the next moment it is reproduced....
To my knowledge, the only puzzle Uwe has said he will never make again is the Dogic. There is a difference between "I have no plans to make this again" and "I will never make this again" I'm not singling you out, but rather pointing out that very often people don't read correctly, or read what they want to see and pass it on and then it becomes fact. I've asked Uwe about all the puzzles in his line up and the only one he has ever said never with is the Dogic. On the rest, I get the vague answer of maybe in a few years. :lol: I want the massager so bad I threatened to make 500 different email accounts and keep clicking on the preorder button. Even though he has said he won't make it now, he has given me the vague "in the future" with this one too.

You never pay more for anything than you can afford to spend. If you feel the price you paid was too much now. Well, I'm sorry. That is the risk you take. When you buy through an auction or an online seller, you always run the risk of finding it cheaper later on. I don't think this statement is at all fair. It's life.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 1:14 am 

Yay! I have been waiting for the Skewb Diamond for a very, very, very long time now. :mrgreen: I'm thinking about also using this opportunity to get an Ultimate as well. I'd prefer that they released a four color edition of the Diamond in textured vinyl (Octahedrons are perfectly happy in four colors), but beggars can't be choosers. :P Well, after I broke down and purchased a knock-off version, my guilty conscience got the best of me, and I have vowed at least four times (the fourth being this post!) here on twistypuzzles, to destroy the K.O. whenever I get a real one from Meffert's in hand. So at some point, you will see a thread concerning this, posted by me, with a link to the youtube video :twisted:

Oct. 6th, 2009:
http://twistypuzzles.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=14544&p=181545#p181545
stardust4ever wrote:
I must confess that I bought the Mohzi Diamond. I knew that it was a K.O. of Meffert's, but I also knew that the chances of him reproducing the Diamond are dire. I also ordered the face turning octahedron, and wanted a junior version to compare it to. I felt so guilty when I clicked "submit" button, having added it into my cart. :oops: But I had always wanted one, and getting a real one from Meffert's was not an option. It still saddens me in a way.

Sausage is right about supporting the inventors. Without the inventors, there would be nothing to copy in the first place. But if copying means that the inventors place there heart and soul into an invention and get nothing back, while the copiers pocket $$$ off the invention with little effort being put into it, I cannot condone such behavior.

If the Meffert's Skewb Diamond ever goes into production again and I have in opportunity to buy one, I vow to my friends at Twisty Forums to destroy the Mozhi knockoff when the package arrives. :cry:

Oct. 26, 2009:
http://twistypuzzles.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=15189&p=184309#p184309
stardust4ever wrote:

As far as puzzles are concerned, I bought a Super Floppy out of ignorance, thinking that it was fair game because it used a different mechanism from the original Floppy Cube. I also knowingly purchased a K.O. Diamond, after years of waiting for the Meffert's Skewb Diamond to be rereleased. I vowed in another thread to someday destroy the K.O. copy, provided that eventually Meffert re-releases the Diamond, upon receiving the genuine version in the mail. Please don't banish me for admitting that I have committed wrongs. :oops: Every single person on this forum, in the world even, is guilty of doing things they know are wrong, puzzle related or not. That is why we must forgive each other.

Nov. 10th, 2009:
http://twistypuzzles.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=15308&p=186409#p186409
stardust4ever wrote:
Was it wrong of me to buy the Mohzi Diamond? For some reason, after waiting years for Mefferts to rerelease the Skewb Diamond, I broke down and bought the knockoff. It's a good puzzle, but not the great clicky mechanism like the Meffert's Skewb. I still feel guilty about buying it, so much that I vowed to destroy it it I ever get a real one from Mefferts :cry: I mean, they're just puzzles, right???

The fact that it exists shows that there is a demand for it, that Mefferts is not supplying :roll:

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 2:28 am 

I got a KO skewb ultimate on ebay and have felt bad ever since.

I'll be ordering a skewb ultimate and a regular skewb for sure.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 3:03 am 

HOW MUCH LONGER!!!

I need to do my order, and so that I can compare the Skewb Diamond to the Mozhi Diamond.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 12:53 pm 

SEBUVER wrote:
I need to do my order, and so that I can compare the Skewb Diamond to the Mozhi Diamond.

There's no contest. The Skewb Diamond is SO much better quality, smoother movement, and has bearings for locking positions. The Mozhi Diamond just slides like a regular cube. The mefferts puzzle is hands-down the better puzzle.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 1:51 am 

theVDude wrote:
I got a KO skewb ultimate on ebay and have felt bad ever since.

I'll be ordering a skewb ultimate and a regular skewb for sure.
Well, it's a good thing the copy pirates are not making KO Dogics, considering the prices they tend to fetch on eBay :roll:

But I do believe that the recent plethora of Skewb-ish KOs is/was a wakeup call to Mefferts that there is still a demand for them 8-)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 11:29 am 

katsmom wrote:
I have a few puzzles that are swirled because of the 'mold cleaning'

That sounds awesome! :D

Are they as good as they sound (swirly) or are they just a blurry mix of colours? :lol:

Alex

YouTube Account: Cubiksrube113

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 11:35 am 

splotchy more like. a bit of one color here, a bit of another there. Some colors blended together to make another.

Sorry, no pictures-not released yet :D

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 11:39 am 

katsmom wrote:
I have a few puzzles that are swirled because of the 'mold cleaning'
These mixed colour puzzles are rare and should be highly collectible, because they occur in just a very limited number of puzzles at the beginning of each colour run. They also tell a bit of history, in terms of what colour was made first. :D

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 11:41 am 

Or depending on where they were made, it shows you the color of the toy produced before the puzzle.

The plastic goes into the machine and is then squeezed into the mold. The mold might be changed, but the plastic could still be in the machine. That needs cleaning too.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 11:43 am 

katsmom wrote:
Or depending on where they were made, it shows you the color of the toy produced before the puzzle.

The plastic goes into the machine and is then squeezed into the mold. The mold might be changed, but the plastic could still be in the machine. That needs cleaning too.

True, I forgot about the whole hopper part of the machine. Still, it's nice to show you got one of the very first puzzles in a run...

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 11:45 am 

hopper? Is that what it's called? :lol:

I like getting to play with them first more!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 11:48 am 

katsmom wrote:
hopper? Is that what it's called? :lol:

I like getting to play with them first more!

Well technically the hopper is the big funnel where you pour in the solid plastic pellets from a bag, then they go into the melting chamber before being pushed into the mould...

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 11:54 am 

in that case, it's not a hopper. these look different, no funnel, just a tube that the plastic bits go into. Although, I've seen the funnel kind too.

I just love those factory tours. Any one else want to bring me on one?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 11:57 am 

katsmom wrote:
in that case, it's not a hopper. these look different, no funnel, just a tube that the plastic bits go into. Although, I've seen the funnel kind too.

I just love those factory tours. Any one else want to bring me on one?

I've already suggested to you before that you are welcome to visit the factory I work with in Shenzhen. I'll let you know next time they do a run, but right now I've got more parts than I have time to assemble... :lol:

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2010 6:09 am 

EMarx wrote:
YES! Skewb Diamonds that aren't Mohzi!

AFAIK, that is YuXin

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2010 7:39 pm 

just got the newsletter! they're all available now!!!! head over to www.mefferts.com quick! :)

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2010 7:52 pm 

trixter wrote:
just got the newsletter! they're all available now!!!! head over to http://www.mefferts.com quick! :)

Only it looks like they are not the January puzzles, but rather the February puzzles from the looks of the subject line.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 8:42 am 

I ordered both the Skewb Diamond and the Ultimate. Thanks for getting them back in stock Uwe!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 9:36 am 

I'm going to post a warning here.
It's Chinese New Year now. Factories have already started to close in China, and there are simply no workers. Meffert's is affected by this each year as are all other Chinese Companies. Your orders if placed after the 10th probably will be a week or two later than normal. There is really no getting around it. If I remember correctly, Meffert's has a skeleton crew of about 1 person :lol: (And no, it's not me) Until the 27th of February. Which in effect means orders won't be shipped until the 1st of March.

The 12 colored Skewb Ultimate puzzles will be coming. Seems there was an issue with the cutter (?), a lost truck, and customs again. If you ordered that one, I am told you will get it.

Also, regarding the puzzles, it appears that the wrong photo was put on the web page. Meffert's has produced this puzzle, Not Mozhi. Uwe was given a Mozhi puzzle so he could use it against one of the KO companies, and photographs of it were put into the same folder/file as the ones for the web page. The one you will get is NOT the Mozhi KO! (I'd slap him silly if he tried passing one of those off on me, so I know you all would too). Thank you's are sent out on behalf of Uwe to those who sent emails in asking about the puzzle in question.

As for February puzzle of the month, I know what it is, and my understanding is it is now in the manufacturing process. Seems that Months are longer in this neck of the woods :lol:

Because of the holiday, I am pretty sure it will not be released until early March.
Just a bit of personal information, for me this holiday bites. Lots of family visits to elderly relatives who use mothballs-which leads to a trip to the hospital because of allergies, food I can't stand, or can't eat-because of allergies, and having to stock up on groceries-which means no fresh vegetables-before the prices sky-rocket tomorrow. Shops closed all over town, a week off with nothing but movie theaters and Disney open. No puzzle hunting for a week! Of course all the kids love it because of the red-pockets full of money. Thank heavens I DON'T DO Chinese New Year. :lol: My husband spends as much on those packets as I do on puzzles each year.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 11:20 am 

I wonder what would happen to the US economy if we shut down all our businesses for a few weeks to celebrate New Years. I don't get how a whole country can just shut down for that long. Guess it's a cultural thing I'll never understand.

I've seen this before. It took over a month and a half to get stuff from C4U during the months of Jan-Feb. Course he's always slow with shipping, but that was one particular experience that really ticked me off.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 11:54 am 

katsmom wrote:
As for February puzzle of the month, I know what it is, and my understanding is it is now in the manufacturing process. Seems that Months are longer in this neck of the woods :lol:

Hasn't Uwe indicated that the Skewb is the February puzzle of the month in his newsletter? As far as I see it, there wasn't really a January puzzle, but he made up for it with a bunch of February puzzles and the Jade Club. So the next puzzle we are looking for is the March puzzle and it should be right on time. :D

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 12:18 pm 

robertpauljr wrote:
katsmom wrote:

Hasn't Uwe indicated that the Skewb is the February puzzle of the month in his newsletter? As far as I see it, there wasn't really a January puzzle, but he made up for it with a bunch of February puzzles and the Jade Club. So the next puzzle we are looking for is the March puzzle and it should be right on time. :D

No, as Roxanne said, January's puzzle are the skewbs and variants, but were released late, and only a few people know what February's is. That too will probably be released late due to the skewbs and variants. If we've already had February's puzzle and skipped January's, then it would poke a big hole through Uwe's puzzle a month thing.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 1:45 pm 

SEBUVER wrote:
robertpauljr wrote:
katsmom wrote:

No, as Roxanne said, January's puzzle are the skewbs and variants, but were released late, and only a few people know what February's is. That too will probably be released late due to the skewbs and variants. If we've already had February's puzzle and skipped January's, then it would poke a big hole through Uwe's puzzle a month thing.

"Puzzle News as of February 6. 2010 - PUZZLES of the Month for February 2010" at http://mefferts.com/page.php?lang=en&theme=news is what I based my statement on. Uwe himself calls the Skewbs the Puzzles of the Month for February.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 8:43 pm 

Just got my two skewb diamonds on Monday (white and black). They're sweet. They are identical to the two original skewb diamonds except for a few subtle things.

For the centers that aren't part of the axis (the ones you can push in slightly)- on the originals, there is a small circular dimple on each of these under the stickers. The new ones I have don't have those dimples.

Also, the sticker color schemes are different, but I suspect the two originals I have may have been restickered because one is a 4-color and the other is an 8-color. The new one is 8-color and is similar, but has purple instead of darker blue.

The white one is beautiful, and beats the pants off the Mozhi ko. (Sorry Uwe, I got it before any announcement of a revival of the skewb diamond and any mention of a white one).

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 3:12 am 

So many skewb variants!

If hypotheically (or not so hypothetically) you could only pick one between the Skewb, Skewb Ultimate, Skewb Diamond, Golden Cube, Golden Egg, Pyraminx and Jing Pyraminx, which would you pick?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 10:22 am 

Do the stickers have the grooves I love so much?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 10:59 am 

No, they're vinyl stickers. Just basic stickers.
I wish they had tiled versions of this puzzle. I don't have any with tiles. Maybe Uwe will make a tile DIY kit or something. That would be sweet.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 11:29 am 

:( Glad I'm hopefully getting the one that offered in the marketplace, then.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 12:20 pm 

flambore wrote:
No, they're vinyl stickers. Just basic stickers.
I wish they had tiled versions of this puzzle. I don't have any with tiles. Maybe Uwe will make a tile DIY kit or something. That would be sweet.
Tiles are nice, but they have the disadvantage that they keep falling off until you have re-glued them all. I had a preference for Meffert's tiles (BTW, the Skewb Diamond never had tiles), but I like now the stickers better. Unfortunately, the stickers on the Flowerminx and the new Pyraminx Crystal are a bit misplaced. But still look nice!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 1:26 pm 

I'm with konsassen in regards to tiles. As soon as I did a turn on an old Mefferts Megaminx, off came three or four of the tiles. :oops:

I'm hoping that whatever the February puzzle is, it won't have tiles.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 1:04 pm 

Strange, I bought all three, and my cube and ultimate have "grooved" stickers..... hmmmm.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 1:12 pm 

8sanders wrote:
Strange, I bought all three, and my cube and ultimate have "grooved" stickers..... hmmmm.

Maybe I will pick up a couple then?

I should've specified the fluorescent ones, though.