Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Fri Jul 25, 2014 2:13 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Hollow Cube "sticker" mod (idea)
PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 7:41 pm 

Long time reader, first time poster... (didn't realize I had rights until now)

I was thinking about Oskar's Hollow Cube and I think I've come up with an interesting "sticker" mod.

Essentially, the idea is to turn it into a shepherd's cube using polarized sheets of plastic (glass?).

The direction of the arrow would be replace by the direction of the polarization. You cannot see the direction of polarization directly, but you could infer it by trying to look through the cube and see if the opposite sticker lines up. If the two stickers have the same polarization, you'll be able to see through. If the two stickers have perpendicular polarization, you cannot see through. :solved: would be a completely transparent or opaque cube depending how you setup the stickers.

With the standard shepard's cube stickers, the solution would be pretty simple but still fun I think. There'd be only 2 kinds of corners and their rotation doesn't matter. There'd only be one kind of edge so only orientation would matter. With this setup any half turn or slice move would remain :solved: .

To make half turns :scrambled:, you would just need to make opposite stickers on the same face have different rotation. I would keep every sticker either aligned or orthogonal. If you don't, you might end up with an advance Rubik Icon.

For added difficulty to prevent redundant slice moves, you could add a third sticker to each edge that is perpendicular to it's two other faces.

Anyone feel like "butchering" their hollow cube?

For reference, here's a youtube video showing how two polarized sheet behave together. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yteBaO4Lewc

Post subject: Re: Hollow Cube "sticker" mod (idea)
PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 1:45 am 

WOW. That's really a cool idea! That would throw a new twist into an old puzzle.

-pi (Eitan)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 11:01 am 

GuiltyBystander wrote:
Long time reader, first time poster... (didn't realize I had rights until now)

Simply being a member gets you rights.

This would be pretty interesting to have done I'd be interested to see finished results, but that may be a bit harder seeing as the Hollow Cube might be difficult to get a hold of.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 12:37 pm 

First and only email said
Quote:
Your account is currently inactive, the administrator of the board will need to activate it before you can log in. You will receive another e-mail when this has occurred.

I suppose the second one might have been marked as spam. Oh well, I'm just glad I'm here now.

Yeah, I wish I could get a Hollow cube but it's out of my price range. Maybe I'll try to work up a virtual one though I'm still confused about how to render it without some O(n^2) operation.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 1:45 pm 

GuiltyBystander wrote:
First and only email said
Quote:
Your account is currently inactive, the administrator of the board will need to activate it before you can log in. You will receive another e-mail when this has occurred.

I suppose the second one might have been marked as spam. Oh well, I'm just glad I'm here now.
A lot of people have this happen. I had the same thing happen to me.

3x3x3 PB: 00:48.10
"Study gravitation, it's a field with a lot of potential."

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2010 1:28 am 

I finally got a virtual version of this cube done. Lots of fun rotational coding stuff. The current sticker pattern is just the basic shepherd's cube so it's fairly easy to solve..

I've already done one super solve. A super solve is making every sticker on each face go the same direction. For example, you could do a super-flip on this cube and it would still be solved if you only cared about opposite pairs of stickers, but it wouldn't be super solved anymore. If you want to see what a non-super solved cube looks like, do R L from a solved cube.

The solve was pretty fun actually even though I tripped myself up more than once. I was once trying to insert an edge for the middle layer and forgot that even though I didn't rotate the piece, the sticker would rotate :lol: .

You can find the applet here. Happy puzzling.

I'm told that this might not run on Linux. If that's the case, open a terminal and run "appletviewer http://landonkryger.com/rubik/polarized/". Also if you have a real solution to whatever this problem is, let me know.