A long time Adam (PuzzleMaster42) was having trouble getting some parts 3D printed and asked me to print them at the TechShop for him. Sadly, that didn't go so well and after many delays they printed them in dark blue instead of the requested white. That was corrected and the subsequently printed white parts found their way to Adam (and later to Frank Tiex, I believe...).
This left me with some expensive parts (an entire solid print of a Helicopter). The TechShop, having made the mistake, didn't charge me twice but thought they might keep them as examples of what their printer can do. But it wasn't my design to allow for others to view, and the thought of having a very rare puzzle sit around in parts not be built or played with was... painful.
I expressed this and so they offered them to me. Free. This didn't seem right (it cost them, even though it was their mistake) so I offered to build them a Neon in exchange (you can see it at the end of this
So now I had some parts, but they were of a puzzle I didn't design or purchase. It was only proper that ask Adam for permission to make them into a puzzle. In exchange for a Neon (see the yellow Radiation puzzle in the above link) he gave me permission to build them into a puzzle a did a lot of the initial prep (a ton of sanding).
They were sent back to me in this state, and I've had them over a year sitting around. I bought some IPSWeld months ago but finally got around to trying my hand at solvent sealing FDM parts.
I had heard that solvent fumes are nasty and so working with lots of ventilation was a good thing. For me this meant in the back yard. Solvent painting the parts took practice but after some time I was getting pretty smooth parts.
What was dissapointing was instead of a nice glossy surface it looked like I had sprayed it with silicone:
A bit of phone tag with Adam later I found out about the concept of "blush", which is exactly what this cloudiness is. Adam indicated humidity might have something to do with it and I think perhaps rapid evaporation might also be a cause. It had rained not so long before I was working, and there was a bit of a breeze. Good for carrying away fumes, but apparently not so great for a nice surface.
A day later (to give them time to firm up) I tried again but inside this time at my current casting location (my bathrooom with the window open). The results, aside from a bit more fumes, were very nice. Absolutely no blush, and an amazing glossy dark blue finish:
[Finished parts with a black Alumilite pillowed 2x2x2 piece for color and surface comparison]
Now I have to sticker it, but I don't want to cover up that beautiful blue plastic! I am considering stickers that are hollow, with just a mm or two band. I also have to decide if I use light blue on the dark blue puzzle or black on the dark blue. More pictures to follow when I do the stickers.
Enjoy (I did),