Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Sun Apr 20, 2014 5:59 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Thanks Wayne!
PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 2:26 am 

Has anyone noticed the big change yet?!

On his 10th anniversary of administering the Twisty Forum, Wayne has retired from adminstrative duties.

Congratulations on your 10 successful years, Wayne. I doubt I'll ever manage to adequately express my thanks for all you have given us over the years. Enjoy your new role as an autonomous, irresponsible twisty forum member!

Sandy

Post subject: Re: Thanks Wayne!
PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 2:31 am 

I haven't been here nearly ten years but I've definitely seen how much Wayne's put into this place and it's sad to see him step down. Congratulations on ten years, and thanks for everything!

(Demotion from sausage to hot dog? :lol:)

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 3:13 am 

I guess I'm happy for you. But wasn't this your baby and Sandy the babysitter(No offense Sandy)? How or why did you give this up if I may ask? Do we have enough Administrators and moderators now? I guess I can't believe it. Do we have enough people to keep this site up and running now?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 3:20 am 

I'm brainstorming for ideas for a suitable "thank you" gift that we can get for Wayne. I'm hoping for something like a one-off custom TwistyPuzzles.com puzzle, or maybe you know of some special puzzle he's been talking about getting. If you have any ideas, PM me.

Sandy

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 9:19 am 

Darren Grewe wrote:
Do we have enough Administrators and moderators now? (...) Do we have enough people to keep this site up and running now?

I'll handle these ones and leave the rest for Wayne.

Short answer: I believe we currently have it covered, but we can make adjustments if we need to.

Long answer: Wayne let Jin and I know about his plans to step down in November way back in July. Since that time, Wayne and I decided on his replacement, Jin, then the three of us decided on Jin's replacement, David. Wayne and Jin then spent a few months training their respective replacements, Jin and David. With that complete, both Jin and David were officially given their new responsibilities about two months ago. Since that time, they have both been actively phasing out Wayne, taking over more and more of his responsbilities to ensure we'd be ready for his planned November retirement.

Wayne wouldn't have retired if we weren't ready, and he isn't going anywhere, he just wants to enjoy things from your perspective as a normal visitor who comes here to enjoy his twisty hobby. He will remain a resource and a consultant when we need him. This forum IS still his baby after all... it's simply grown up enough to have moved away from home!

Sandy

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 9:53 am 

Congratulations Wayne!

Ive only been here around a year, but i pay attention.

Great Job!!!

Sandy wrote:
I'm brainstorming for ideas for a suitable "thank you" gift that we can get for Wayne. I'm hoping for something like a one-off custom TwistyPuzzles.com puzzle, or maybe you know of some special puzzle he's been talking about getting. If you have any ideas, PM me.

Sandy

Im thinking........hmmmmmm.

Clay: Barrel cube?...Why? It's such a Geometrical contradiction...I don't understand[/size]
Eva:?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 11:42 am 

Sandy wrote:

Sandy

Hmmm. maybe a twisty puzzle that spells TwistyPuzzes?

Thank you Wayne!!!
I have not been here nearly as long as you, but I can see and love how much you have put into this place *looks around screen* I now owe you my eternal gratitude.

-Logan Kelly

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 12:08 pm 

There is no doubt Wayne did an immaculate job in all those past years.

I can surely understand him wanting to be a "normal" member
("normal" in the sense of the crazy puzzle enthusiast, like many others here!)

You see, being an administration does not really mean being more "powerful",
but it means being a lot more responsible, which sometimes can take the fun
out of the puzzle-experience in this forum.

Jin and David are well suited to continue the legacy, and hopefully all of us and
the new members, will contribute into keeping this place as a puzzle oasis.

Wayne, welcome to the fun club!

:)

Pantazis

Educational R&D, Gravity, 4D Symmetry, Puzzle Ninja, Matrix Mech, Alien Technology.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 1:39 pm 

You know Sandy, now that Wayne doesn't have admin access anymore, you could have set up a separate subforum that he alone cannot see, and started a thread for discussion for a surprise gift there, instead. :P

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 4:41 pm 

Thanks for the words, guys. It's only been a weekend but I feel strangely disconnected, but it's also a very relaxing feeling.

So yeah... I no longer wear red. As Sandy has said, this is something that has been in a handover phase for the last few months.

I thought during the year that I would very much like to spend more time actually designing new puzzles and thinking about other projects I'm interested in.

This community has grown so much and is so self sufficient with a lot of members who care about this forum, I'm pleased that the admin/moderation hat can be passed from one to another.

Of course, I'm not actually going anywhere, so I'll try not to make this sound like a funeral.

But I would like to say some things from the perspective of administrator. That is, to thank you all for the experience and the trust. I can honestly say that I am proud of this community, the people who make it up. I'm proud to be friends of Sandy, our host, and the admin/mod team Jin & Dave, and of course content mods who lend their spare time to improve the various areas, and to so many regulars.

Our community has shifted greatly over ten years and we now have a resurgence of younger people taking up the hobby of collecting and/or building their own puzzles. Our hobby certainly is not a dying one with such a strong new generation coming aboard. And it's great seeing older seasoned members encouraging the younger ones.

An interesting part of the job for me has been reviewing application for acceptance onto the forum. You see all kinds if people with interesting, sometimes amazing stories, backgrounds etc. Some people who were involved in the 80's, who have resparked their interest and found us. Even Meffert and Rubik have joined us.

Recent meetings (which unfortunately I haven't been able to be part of) like the recent one organised by Dave and also the DCD are places where you guys are connecting in person. I think it's a fantastic thing, and I've always loved to see the photos, if not with some minor jealousy.

For me the focus has always been about having a place where you can hang out and enjoy a simple hobby with others, without having to put up with aggression, anger, ego, elitism, fights, etc, etc.

I've had my time, so I'm enjoying returning to civilian clothing. After seeing twistypuzzles.com finally mature into it's next level with the new layout, the shop, stable happy community(mostly?), seems like the right time.

And what a time to end on a 12x12x12 having been developed, a 17x17x17 designed, and a whole host of amazing puzzles that come out on a monthly basis. It truly mind boggling the efforts that go on.

As a final note, and I don't need to say this to all, but please always throw your support behind Sandy, Jin & Dave. There isn't a whole lot of fun chasing up people for things that are said or posted. it's easy to be discouraged at our various jobs. Their first interest is the community, so please try to ensure that it is yours as well.

Thank you everyone!

Last edited by sausage on Mon Nov 23, 2009 7:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 7:02 pm 

A decade of service to the community is an awesome achievement. Many thanks, and congratulations, to Wayne!

As the new moderator I feel like my son Matthew on our trip to the Netherlands (DCD 2007!) a few years back:

I've got some *big* shoes to fill :)

Dave

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2009 10:43 pm 

Hi Wayne,

If you've reviewed my application, you know that I kept my promise. I love this forum because I appreciate it, though I'm a newcomer and works slowly. :D

Oh, being civilians are easy and enjoyable, come on!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2009 8:14 pm 

sausage wrote:
Even Meffert and Rubik have joined us.
,hO I t'ndid wonk ew erew dewolla ot noitnem .taht fI d'I nwonk ,taht d'I evah detnemmoc .reilrae :mrgreen:

sausage wrote:
For me the focus has always been about having a place where you can hang out and enjoy a simple hobby with others, without having to put up with aggression, anger, ego, elitism, fights, etc, etc.
Umm, you must be new here :P
When people get tired of fighting in knock off threads, they start knock offs of knock off threads.
(Fortunately they conform to Rule 10.)

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 6:07 pm 

Thank you So much for your Service Wayne! IMO You were the most fair and responsive admin we could have ever asked for. I know you loved your job and serving our community :D It is really sad to see you step down but I know we are in good hands :D

Thank You Wayne!,

Chris Hemerich

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 11:42 pm 

ndiamond wrote:
sausage wrote:
Umm, you must be new here :P
When people get tired of fighting in knock off threads, they start knock offs of knock off threads.
(Fortunately they conform to Rule 10.)

:)... I am kinda new. Sometimes it gets a little heated, but the issue will settle at some point. It could be a lot worse :)

Last edited by sausage on Wed Dec 02, 2009 4:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 5:20 am 

When doctors become surgeons, they change their title from Dr. back to Mr. I love this concept, that when you've achieved so much you don't need any kind of special title or recognition to prove your value, because everybody knows it. In the same way, it's great to see your name in standard, boring black/blue letters: you don't need any "special" colour because everybody knows and appreciates what you've done for this community anyway! :D

Thank you!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 11:12 pm 

Sandy wrote:
I'm brainstorming for ideas for a suitable "thank you" gift that we can get for Wayne.

Buy one of these:
http://cgi.ebay.com/Wayne-Daniels-All-Five-Wooden-3D-Interlocking-Puzzle_W0QQitemZ330283234849QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item4ce66a3621
and make a custom mod of it?

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2009 11:00 pm 

ndiamond wrote:
Sandy wrote:
I'm brainstorming for ideas for a suitable "thank you" gift that we can get for Wayne.

Buy one of these:
http://cgi.ebay.com/Wayne-Daniels-All-Five-Wooden-3D-Interlocking-Puzzle_W0QQitemZ330283234849QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item4ce66a3621
and make a custom mod of it?

I actually have one of those. Honestly I wasn't too happy with the quality. The pieces just don't fit together all that nicely. I love the concept though.

-d