Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Sat Apr 19, 2014 8:59 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 146 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: Re: Crazy 4x4x4 cube
PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 5:11 pm 

The crazy 4x4 cube appears to be available from Cube4You as well as mf8...

doctor who wrote:
I don't think I can make her pose without heavy sedation. The rendering doesn't have to be perfect, it just can't look like Oskar in drag.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 5:16 pm 

I do not see it. Could you provide a link?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 5:20 pm 

http://cubeforyou.com/product-565.html

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 7:28 pm 

You have to solve the center bit first, then move on to the outsides. It's like solving a 2x2x2, then a 4x4x4, but if you are like me, once you've solved the 2x2x2 and move on you start mucking up the 4x4x4 bit.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 7:31 pm 

New cube4you website? cubeforyou? I think that deserves its own thread

You just Uber Pwned a Noob

http://willscubingcenter.webs.com/

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2009 11:32 am 

wwwmwww wrote:
(2) Its easy to see the Crazy 4×4×4 cube I is equivalent to a 2×2×2 inside a 4×4×4. What about II, III, and IV? Version IV looks to be a complete 2×2×2 inside a complete 4×4×4 plus some other cubies. And versions II and III don't have a complete external 4×4×4. Is there a similiar interpretation to these puzzles as with version I being one puzzle inside another? If so I can't see it.

Here is my solution:
Think of a 6x6x6 where you connect all corners with bridges to each other. Only the 12 slices (a.k.a. sides and slices of the 4x4x4) are left over. Then render these corners and all the edge pieces invisible. The inner pieces of the circles are the core pieces of the 4x4x4 made visible. The version 1,2,3,4 differ from each other which of the remaining outer pieces of the 6x6x6 are retained. For version 1 you don't need this explanation but it doesn't contradict as well.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2009 1:11 pm 

谢谢大家关注这个主题,我有用Google等翻译软件来查看,只看明白少部份的翻译意思。

这Crazy 4x4x4 cube系列的魔方,每个面圆圈内的块是不可以旋转的。

Crazy 4x4x4 cube Ⅱ我还没复原出来,今天把魔方拆下重装成初始状态:

Attachments:
SNV37625.jpg
SNV37625.jpg [ 133.54 KiB | Viewed 11484 times ]
SNV37626.jpg
SNV37626.jpg [ 129.58 KiB | Viewed 11477 times ]
SNV37627.jpg
SNV37627.jpg [ 142.55 KiB | Viewed 11482 times ]
SNV37628.jpg
SNV37628.jpg [ 132.89 KiB | Viewed 11480 times ]
SNV37629.jpg
SNV37629.jpg [ 139.72 KiB | Viewed 11484 times ]
SNV37630.jpg
SNV37630.jpg [ 136.07 KiB | Viewed 11482 times ]

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2009 1:19 pm 

Where are you RyanZ?

Google translate completely mutilates whatever he wrote. :D

Edit: Mine just came in the mail! It's quite a bit looser then I expected, but the puzzle is really beautiful! Shipping took exactly one week to NY on the day of ordering. Thank you for the wonderful puzzle Daqing Bao and keep them coming! Translate for me RyanZ :D

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2009 5:37 pm 

"Thank you for interest in this subject, I am useful to Google and other translation software to view, but only a small part of the translation to understand the meaning.

This is Crazy 4x4x4 cube series of Rubik's Cube, each face within a circle the block can not be rotated.

Crazy 4x4x4 cube Ⅱ I have not recovered, as today to remove the heavy equipment into the initial state of Rubik's Cube" -Google Translate

My interpretation:

Thank you for interest in this subject, I am knoledgable of Google and other translation software, but only on a small part of the translation can I understand the meaning.

This is the Crazy 4x4x4 cube series of Rubik's Cube like puzzles, each face has a circle that is blocked and can not be rotated.

Crazy 4x4x4 cube Ⅱ I have yet to solve, as today to return it into the initial state of Rubik's Cube (solved).

Was that so hard? :wink:

"I discovered the triangle one day while shaving. I trimmed my beard like the intersection of three circles and noticed how I could unfog a square in the bathroom mirror by rubbing my beard circularly against the glass."-Franz Reuleaux

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2009 7:16 pm 

EMarx wrote:
Edit: Mine just came in the mail! It's quite a bit looser then I expected...

Cool!!! So maybe mine will get here soon as well. I'm in rual Mississippi so I guess that's why it takes a bit more then a week. Did you get the black one you wanted?

And regarding the loosness, I see some screws in the pictures from the first post of this thread. Provided you can get to them it might be possible to tighten it up a bit.

Carl

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2009 7:34 pm 

Yea, your going to love it. The puzzle is very, very fun to solve, and it's become one of my new favorites. The only "recent" puzzle that I can say gave the same satisfaction was the Pyraminx Crystal. The puzzle is really a marvel, you just have to play with it to understand me.

It is fully adjustable, including the inner 3x3, and the tightness of the 2x2 corners. My one loose (2x2) corner happens to be stripped and doesn't allow me to tighten it. If I can get an inner 3x3 corner replacement the puzzle would be mint.

I'm really dying for the next one. These puzzles are really something.

Thanks Styrene! Can you accurately reverse translate? I need to request a replacement inner corner in Japanese.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2009 7:40 pm 

Andreas Nortmann wrote:
wwwmwww wrote:
(2) Its easy to see the Crazy 4×4×4 cube I is equivalent to a 2×2×2 inside a 4×4×4. What about II, III, and IV? Version IV looks to be a complete 2×2×2 inside a complete 4×4×4 plus some other cubies. And versions II and III don't have a complete external 4×4×4. Is there a similiar interpretation to these puzzles as with version I being one puzzle inside another? If so I can't see it.

Here is my solution:
Think of a 6x6x6 where you connect all corners with bridges to each other. Only the 12 slices (a.k.a. sides and slices of the 4x4x4) are left over. Then render these corners and all the edge pieces invisible. The inner pieces of the circles are the core pieces of the 4x4x4 made visible. The version 1,2,3,4 differ from each other which of the remaining outer pieces of the 6x6x6 are retained. For version 1 you don't need this explanation but it doesn't contradict as well.

Thanks... I like that. So... if you can solve the 6×6×6 Multicube then you should be able to solve all of these as in essence each is a subset of that puzzle. I wonder if Daqing Bao is aware of the CubixPlayer2 program.

Carl

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2009 4:47 am 

Daqing Bao wrote:
谢谢大家关注这个主题,我有用Google等翻译软件来查看,只看明白少部份的翻译意思。

这Crazy 4x4x4 cube系列的魔方,每个面圆圈内的块是不可以旋转的。

Crazy 4x4x4 cube Ⅱ我还没复原出来,今天把魔方拆下重装成初始状态:

Sorry guys for the late translation
This is what he wrote:

Thanks everyone for reading this topic. I have used google to translate what everyone's comment but i only understand a small portion of it.
The circles in the Crazy 4x4x4 cube series cannot be rotated independently.
I have not solved this Crazy 4x4x4 cube but i will be disassembling it, so it will return to its original state.

"Cheap cube is not great. Great cube is not cheap."

I'm with Frank

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2009 5:09 am 

I'm most likely buying one of these from mf8.

I hope this translates correctly:

你很善于拼图

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 7:22 pm 

EMarx wrote:
Yea, your going to love it.

I just got it today. And yes, I LOVE it. A truely great puzzle. I'll be getting the rest of this series too.

Carl

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 7:51 pm 

i bought one and i cant wait for it to arrive

will post a comment when the cube arrives

我买了一个,我不能等待它到达

将张贴评论到达时,立方体

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 8:19 pm 

wwwmwww wrote:
Andreas Nortmann wrote:
wwwmwww wrote:

Here is my solution:

Thanks... I like that. So... if you can solve the 6×6×6 Multicube then you should be able to solve all of these as in essence each is a subset of that puzzle. I wonder if Daqing Bao is aware of the CubixPlayer2 program.

Carl

Arg... its not as simple as I first thought it was. I've done some more thinking about this problem and the above explanation is wrong. I've posted a more detailed and hopefully correct explanation here.

In short... the outer puzzle is a normal 4x4x4 and what is seen inside the circles are the face pieces of a bandaged 6x6x6. In the link above a method is proposed for allowing you to see the edge pieces of that 6x6x6.

Carl

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 2:41 am 

You just need to solve the innermost part as a 2x2, and then, with those centers as reference, solve the rest as a 4x4 SUPERCUBE.

[EDIT] I will elaborate a bit more ...

1 Fix the inner part of the centers, just like you would solve a 2x2. All your moves should cover 2 layers, otherwise the inner part will not be affected.

2 Build the rest of the centers, the outer part. You can build them as a normal 4x4, but from the first center, you need to act as if other centers were already built, i.e. restoring every move.

3 Continue as a normal 4x4 - build edges, and solve like a 3x3

4 You will not encounter odd parity, but if you encounter even parity - edges swapped, you need to be careful on the algorithm you use. The usual 4x4 algorithm will badly affect the inner centers. You need to use an algorithm specific for 4x4 supercubes - http://michael-gottlieb.blogspot.com/20 ... cubes.html

Hope it helps

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2009 11:25 am 

Hmmm..... I did some more thinking and posted what I came up with here:

http://twistypuzzles.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=181157#p181157

Thinking of that inner puzzle as the face centers of a 6x6x6 adds edges and corners to the picture that aren't needed. It really is an equivalent 4x4x4 inside a 4x4x4.

Carl

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2009 10:12 am 

mmonede wrote:
4 You will not encounter odd parity, but if you encounter even parity - edges swapped, you need to be careful on the algorithm you use. The usual 4x4 algorithm will badly affect the inner centers. You need to use an algorithm specific for 4x4 supercubes - http://michael-gottlieb.blogspot.com/20 ... cubes.html

Hope it helps

Ok... I've been thinking about this for a few days and I think (still not sure I have the whole picture) the algorithms specific for 4x4x4 supercubes still may not be adequate. A 4x4x4 supercube just contains a 2x2x2. These crazy 4x4x4 cubes contain what I'm calling an Inside Out 4x4x4 at the link I posted above. Those algorithms may not mess up the 2x2x2 but what about the edges and corners of that inner equivalent 4x4x4?

Using the notation here plus add MMR=R such that we can apply the operation M to a sequence to perform the following:

R --> MR
MR --> R
U --> MU
MU --> U
F --> MF
MF --> F
L --> ML
ML --> L
D --> MD
MD --> D
B --> MB
MB --> B

Then I believe solving a Crazy 4x4x4 is equivanent to:

1. Map the circle pieces (which is an Inside Out 4×4×4) to a normal 4×4×4.
    2. Solve that normal 4×4×4 as you normally would. You now have a Crazy 4×4×4 with the circle areas solved.
    3. Solve the outer 4×4×4 of the Crazy 4×4×4 without mixing up the circle areas. This can be done by finding a sequence (called S) where S solves a normal 4×4×4 but the sequence M(S) does nothing to a 4×4×4.

Now the question becomes how does one find those sequences/algorithms? Do the algorithm specific for 4x4x4 supercubes already have this property? It seems like a constrait that they shouldn't necessarily need.

Carl

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 2:54 am 

The Crazy Cube (version I) is simply a 4x4x4 with inner 2x2x2. I have no idea what the parts in the version II are equivalent to, though :?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 8:37 am 

stardust4ever wrote:
The Crazy Cube (version I) is simply a 4x4x4 with inner 2x2x2.
Agreed.

stardust4ever wrote:
I have no idea what the parts in the version II are equivalent to, though :?
The inner puzzle is equivalent to another 4x4x4 for versions II, III, and IV. Its just that the inner 4x4x4 is constructed differently then a normal 4x4x4. See my link above... I've called it an Inside Out 4x4x4. In fact that picture does generalize to version I as well as the face centers of an Inside Out 4x4x4 are the corners of a 2x2x2 inside a normal 4x4x4.

Carl

Post subject: Crazy 4x4x4 vII explained
PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 2:50 pm 

I was laying awake in bed the other night mulling over the wedgelike pieces on the Version II. One method that I think will help us visualize the Version II is to first bandage it as a 3x3x3 with no deep cuts. By doing so, it is impossible for the wedges to leave the slice that they are currently on, since centers cannot rotate. It then dawned on me that every time you rotate the upper face, the upper wedges (red) always move with it.
Attachment:
crazy vII wedges.PNG
crazy vII wedges.PNG [ 12.77 KiB | Viewed 15579 times ]

Thus the wedges act behave in the same way as a virtual face center, and can be rotated independently of the face via the use of center rotation algorithms. The red in this next image shows the parts location on a normal 4x4x4.
Attachment:
standard 4x4x4.PNG
standard 4x4x4.PNG [ 7.94 KiB | Viewed 15558 times ]

Finally, with a fully unbandaged crazy 4x4x4 V2 cube, the red, blue, and yellow wedge pieces correspond to their location (X) on a standard 4x4x4. Even though they are separate pieces, they travel around the cube as pairs, representing an adjacent face center on a normal super-cube. :mrgreen:
Attachment:
crazy vII revealed.PNG
crazy vII revealed.PNG [ 12.55 KiB | Viewed 15578 times ]

What makes solving the vII crazy cube confusing however, is that these "pairs" do not match the color of their virtual face center, but instead match the colors of the adjacent faces, making it difficult to look at a scrambled cube and recognize at exactly which position a particular pair should go. Solve as you would a 4x4x4 supercube with an embedded 2x2x2.
:scrambled: :arrow: :solved:

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 3:08 pm 

This same conclusion "dawned" on me maybe a few days after I saw CV2.

Then I realized maybe 10 minutes later they don't travel in pairs. In your last picture imagine doing any U move. Boom, "pairs" are unpaired.

wwwmwww has done the best, albeit confusing job of explaining the CV2.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 3:34 pm 

I received my Crazy 4x4 today. It's a nice puzzle :) For those who would like to know, I disassembled it slightly and it seems to be a core-within-a-core type thing. The small circles seem to be one kind of mechanism, similar to that of a 2x2 from what I will assume (I dare not take it apart further :lol:) and then a Rubik's 4x4. The pictures in the first post will show this.

Despite it being a Rubik's 4x4-esque core, it moves much better than a Rubik's 4x4. There are far fewer lock-ups. I'll take internal pictures once I'm back from College tomorrow if you guys like.

It solved like a 2x2 then 4x4, however I've noticed that if you get a 4x4 parity error, the algorithm may result in the alignment of the centres may become slightly scrambled again. The outer center (Square part) is fine, however the inner center (Circles) may move around a little.

I'll most probably post a review about it soon too.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 3:58 pm 

EMarx wrote:

Thank You... I try. To help that is... not to confuse.

Retr0 wrote:

Please post a link to your review here. I might miss it otherwise and I'd love to here other's opinions about this cube.

Carl

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 5:19 pm 

Retro, the great thing about this puzzle is it's a mech within a mech within a mech.

An inner 3x3, with a 2x2 shell, with a 4x4 shell.

It's brilliant! :D

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2009 4:29 am 

EMarx wrote:
This same conclusion "dawned" on me maybe a few days after I saw CV2.

Then I realized maybe 10 minutes later they don't travel in pairs. In your last picture imagine doing any U move. Boom, "pairs" are unpaired.

How are they unpaired? If I rotate the only Up (red) face, the red wedges move with it. The blue and yellow wedges on the Up face stay in place, because the circular region does not move; the blue and yellow wedges in the middle layer are likewise unaffected. If I rotate only the upper middle slice, then the blue and yellow wedges in that layer move with it, whereas the red wedges stay put. Likewise, the blue and yellow wedges on the Up face also move in unison with the middle slice.

That same logic that I applied to the Up (red) face also applies to the Front (blue) and Left (yellow) faces. In none of those six possible moves is any color-coded pair split apart from itself. Granted, on a proper crazy vII, each pair will have two distinct colors based upon the cube's color scheme. Nor do the corresponding pieces visibly or physically make contact. But each married pair will traverse the cube as one unit, behaving in an identical fashion as a standard 4x4x4 center cubie, only it will reside in a displaced location. As for the crudely drawn Xs in the diagram, these are not real parts on the crazy 4x4x4. They are only symbolic references to visualize the "virtual" location of the part (face center) that they would represent on a normal 4x4x4.

The same "virtual movement" cannot be said of inscribed corners, if the circle is expanded to include a cross-section of the corner cubies. I have not pondered over their movement, but I am sure it would not be equivalent to their "face center" siblings. Maybe the creator's next project after the "crazy 4x4x4" should be a "crazy 3x3x3" featuring corners inscribed within the circles :twisted: Then you'll have to deal with the virtual inner face corners of a locked 5x5x5 outer shell :scrambled:

Holy cow! All of the 6x6x6 face part analogies suddenly make sence to me :shock:

==============================

Retr0 wrote:
I received my Crazy 4x4 today. It's a nice puzzle :)
I ordered mine from mf8 just two days ago (via economy "air-snail"), so it will be a while before I get it. The internal 2x2x2 also explains the higher price tag, but it's more than worth it :P
retr0 wrote:
For those who would like to know, I disassembled it slightly and it seems to be a core-within-a-core type thing. The small circles seem to be one kind of mechanism, similar to that of a 2x2 from what I will assume (I dare not take it apart further :lol:) and then a Rubik's 4x4. The pictures in the first post will show this.

Despite it being a Rubik's 4x4-esque core, it moves much better than a Rubik's 4x4. There are far fewer lock-ups. I'll take internal pictures once I'm back from College tomorrow if you guys like.
This is because the Rubik's core is asymmetrical, thus it applies uneven torque on the halves of the cube when being rotated. Also, the recessed tracks just increase the overall friction in the puzzle. The crazy 4x4x4 has a true internal 2x2x2 mechanism, thus eliminating the grooved tracks and making the puzzle operate symmetrically, something that neither the Eastsheen 4x4x4 nor the V-Cube 6 has accomplished. The V-Cube mechanism is absolutely symmetric, but relies on tabs to hold half the core in place, which makes it "clicky" and occasionally leads to misalignment.
retr0 wrote:
It solved like a 2x2 then 4x4, however I've noticed that if you get a 4x4 parity error, the algorithm may result in the alignment of the centres may become slightly scrambled again. The outer center (Square part) is fine, however the inner center (Circles) may move around a little.

The parity fix I use to "monoflip" the Up-Front edge pair for traditional 4x4x4 solving, which also works equally well on the 5x5x5 parity is,

r2 B2 U2 l U2 r' U2 r U2 F2 r F2 l' B2 r2

where lowercase represents inner slices only, and uppercase outer slices.

Two minor side effects of this fix, it swaps the U centers around 180 degrees (which even on a supercube, can be fixed using an additional 3x3x3 face twisting algorithm), and equates to an "r" clockwise face turn on the inner 2x2x2. This elegantly demonstrates that two edge pieces on the outer 4x4x4 can be swapped provided there is an odd parity of moves on the inner 2x2x2. Based on my logic, the 4x4x4 edge parity should not arise if the inner 2x2x2 is already solved or has even parity.

The other parity concern that commonly arises during a solve with the 4x4x4 edges, two displaced edge pairs, can be solved by three piece commutator algorithms alone and thus is unaffected by parity.

I believe that the parity which the face centers (supercube) possess is dependent on the outer turn metric and not the inner 2x2x2, since a quarter turn inner slice permutes two quartets of face centers (even parity) but only one quartet of edges (odd parity). Contrastingly, an equivalent quarter turn on an outer slice permutes one quartet of face centers (odd parity) and two quartets of edges (even parity).

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2009 10:15 am 

stardust4ever wrote:
How are they unpaired?
I think EMarx and myself were looking at your X's and thinking you had tied that physical piece to the others.

stardust4ever wrote:
But each married pair will traverse the cube as one unit, behaving in an identical fashion as a standard 4x4x4 center cubie, only it will reside in a displaced location.
We'll this married pair shows two sides of it's cubie, two colors. A standard 4x4x4 center only shows 1. So ask yourself what piece/cubie on a standard 4x4x4 is displaced from the location of the center cubie and shows two colors. Does an edge cubie come to mind? The two stickers on an edge cubie are a married pair.

stardust4ever wrote:
The same "virtual movement" cannot be said of inscribed corners, if the circle is expanded to include a cross-section of the corner cubies. I have not pondered over their movement, but I am sure it would not be equivalent to their "face center" siblings.
Hmmm... non-married corners. These cubies only show one face... so yes I think I'd called these equivalent 4x4x4 face centers. ;)

Carl

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2009 3:50 pm 

wwwmwww wrote:
stardust4ever wrote:
But each married pair will traverse the cube as one unit, behaving in an identical fashion as a standard 4x4x4 center cubie, only it will reside in a displaced location.
We'll this married pair shows two sides of it's cubie, two colors. A standard 4x4x4 center only shows 1.

The centres should be compared to the ones on a supercube rather than an ordinary 4x4x4. Consider putting Pochman supercube stickers on the 4x4x4 centres; they have the 1 colour you're thinking of, plus coloured stripes on two edges. Now push those stripes over to the adjacent faces, and you have the crescent pieces of the crazy 4x4x4 cube II. Get rid of what's left of the face centre (the 1 colour you were thinking of) and you have Cube II's outer puzzle.

It may be easier to see this by starting from Cube IV instead; this is an equivalent puzzle to solve. The tiny crescent pieces of IV are identical in behaviour to II, while each of the face centre corners (outside of the circle) always stays together with a married pair of adjacent crescents. Together, these three pieces behave the same as the three colours of a supercube sticker. Shrink the face centre corner to zero and you have Cube II.

Cube I is just a regular 4x4x4 built around a 2x2x2, while Cubes II and IV (and III too) are 4x4x4 supercubes built around a 2x2x2.

Cube III actually adds nothing to Cube II; the 'edge' pieces of the circles are paired to the 'phantom' centres of the outer 4x4x4 the same as with Cube II's crescents. The 'corner' pieces in the circles are paired to the edge pieces of the outer 4x4x4, and will all fall in place automatically when the outer 4x4x4 puzzle is solved.

From this, it should also be apparant that Aleh's 3x3x3 circle cube is actually no different to solve than a regular 3x3x3 supercube. The circle corners all take care of themselves when the outer edges are put in place, while the circle edges all act the same as the edge stripes of the 3x3x3 supercube's centres.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2009 12:39 pm 

I'm new at the forum and this is my very first post.

I got the Crazy 4x4x4 cube from mf8 a few days ago and with my first solve I've run into the problem that 2 pairs of edges needed to be swapped. The usual algorithm I use on an ordinary 4x4x4 scrambled the inner 2x2x2 a bit.
I found a solution but it was not so elegant.
Then I had a look at the forum discussion here and found the hint to
http://michael-gottlieb.blogspot.com/2008/05/solving-4x4x4-and-5x5x5-supercubes.html

I like the solution there (x' 2U' R F' U R' F 2U 2D F' R U' F R' 2D' x) for the PLL parity but I was not familiar with the used notation.
The algorithm translates to x' u' R F' U R' F u d F' R U' F R' d' x in the notation I'm used to.

I found it confusing that on the very same page the notation with lower case u, d, ... has been used in concurrency with 2U, 2D ...

I have written this note in case that anybody else had the same problem with this notation.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 11:17 pm 

konsassen wrote:

I got the Crazy 4x4x4 cube from mf8 a few days ago and with my first solve I've run into the problem that 2 pairs of edges needed to be swapped. The usual algorithm I use on an ordinary 4x4x4 scrambled the inner 2x2x2 a bit.
http://michael-gottlieb.blogspot.com/2008/05/solving-4x4x4-and-5x5x5-supercubes.html

I like the solution there (x' 2U' R F' U R' F 2U 2D F' R U' F R' 2D' x) for the PLL parity but I was not familiar with the used notation.
The algorithm translates to x' u' R F' U R' F u d F' R U' F R' d' x in the notation I'm used to.

I found it confusing that on the very same page the notation with lower case u, d, ... has been used in concurrency with 2U, 2D ...

I have written this note in case that anybody else had the same problem with this notation.
I mentioned in a previous post that the "swapped edges" can be solved solely by three piece commutators alone. Here is the algorithm. I know it's a little bit long-winded, but it works. Manipulate the cube so that the edge pairs to be swapped are in the UB and UF positions. (lowercase = inner slice; uppercase = outer slice):

((l' U R U' l U R' U') + U2) * 4

l' U R U' l U R' U' is a three-piece commutator that swaps three edge pieces on the 4x4x4 and the 5x5x5. Perform this sequence, then do U2. Repeat three more times. I use this algorithm almost exclusively to solve the edge pieces on high order cubes. I haven't had the opportunity yet to test this on a crazy cube (mine has not arrived yet), but it can be proven that it does not mess up the inner 2x2x2, as there are only two inner slice moves, l' and l

Konsassen, I have rewritten the algorithm to use your notation:

((2L' 1U 1R 1U' 2L 1U 1R' 1U') + 1U2) * 4

I think I actually like this notation, because it can work on any order cube without confusion, example, the right half of a V-Cube 6 could be 123R. The lowercase/Uppercase system is no good for cubes 6 or larger, anyway. No weird new letters or notation to relearn either.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 9:11 am 

stardust4ever wrote:
konsassen wrote:

I mentioned in a previous post that the "swapped edges" can be solved solely by three piece commutators alone. Here is the algorithm. I know it's a little bit long-winded, but it works. Manipulate the cube so that the edge pairs to be swapped are in the UB and UF positions. (lowercase = inner slice; uppercase = outer slice):

((l' U R U' l U R' U') + U2) * 4

l' U R U' l U R' U' is a three-piece commutator that swaps three edge pieces on the 4x4x4 and the 5x5x5. Perform this sequence, then do U2. Repeat three more times. I use this algorithm almost exclusively to solve the edge pieces on high order cubes. I haven't had the opportunity yet to test this on a crazy cube (mine has not arrived yet), but it can be proven that it does not mess up the inner 2x2x2, as there are only two inner slice moves, l' and l

Konsassen, I have rewritten the algorithm to use your notation:

((2L' 1U 1R 1U' 2L 1U 1R' 1U') + 1U2) * 4

I think I actually like this notation, because it can work on any order cube without confusion, example, the right half of a V-Cube 6 could be 123R. The lowercase/Uppercase system is no good for cubes 6 or larger, anyway. No weird new letters or notation to relearn either.

stardust4ever,
your algorithm works fine on the Crazy 4x4x4 as you had expected.
The algorithm of Michael Gottlieb (u' R F' U R' F u d F' R U' F R' d' )achieves the same thing with 14 moves.
If I count the U'+U2 in your algorithm as one move, your algorithm is 32 moves.

I had found the link to Michael Gottlieb's page in the post of mmonede, September 29.
The notation I had mentioned is used on Michael's page.
So, it's not *my* notation.
It has, obviously, some benefits on larger cubes.
On the other hand, I could not find any hint if it is used commonly.
A while ago I have seen the notation 2U as an akronym for (Uu) - 2 layers at the U side.
Therefore, I was confused a little bit in the first place.
As I had mentioned, I find Michael's algorithm quite elegant.
My original post was about the unfamiliar notation only.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 10:56 am 

Ok... time for some pretty POV-Ray pictures as promised here.

I had to read the below post about 3 times over two days before it popped and I now see it. Pictures would have helped so I've made those and in so doing I now also see what stardust4ever was getting at with his X's. Where I failed was in looking at the Crazy 4x4x4 as a puzzle inside a puzzle and asking myself what the inside puzzle was. In so doing I failed to see that some of the outside 4x4x4 WAS part of the inside puzzle... which is a normal 2x2x2. Talk about making things overly complicated. I stated with a 6x6x6 minus the edges and corners or a babyface 4x4x4 on the inside. I then got it down to an Inside-Out 4x4x4 on the inside. But now I see its just a 2x2x2 after all. Wow!!!

luns wrote:
The centres should be compared to the ones on a supercube rather than an ordinary 4x4x4. Consider putting Pochman supercube stickers on the 4x4x4 centres; they have the 1 colour you're thinking of, plus coloured stripes on two edges. Now push those stripes over to the adjacent faces, and you have the crescent pieces of the crazy 4x4x4 cube II. Get rid of what's left of the face centre (the 1 colour you were thinking of) and you have Cube II's outer puzzle.

It may be easier to see this by starting from Cube IV instead; this is an equivalent puzzle to solve. The tiny crescent pieces of IV are identical in behaviour to II, while each of the face centre corners (outside of the circle) always stays together with a married pair of adjacent crescents. Together, these three pieces behave the same as the three colours of a supercube sticker. Shrink the face centre corner to zero and you have Cube II.

Here is your 3 color face center on the outer 4x4x4 showing how it IS the two crescent pieces.

luns wrote:
Cube I is just a regular 4x4x4 built around a 2x2x2, while Cubes II and IV (and III too) are 4x4x4 supercubes built around a 2x2x2.

Cube III actually adds nothing to Cube II; the 'edge' pieces of the circles are paired to the 'phantom' centres of the outer 4x4x4 the same as with Cube II's crescents. The 'corner' pieces in the circles are paired to the edge pieces of the outer 4x4x4, and will all fall in place automatically when the outer 4x4x4 puzzle is solved.

This shows how the circle's corers show you the third color of the outer 4x4x4 edges.

luns wrote:
From this, it should also be apparant that Aleh's 3x3x3 circle cube is actually no different to solve than a regular 3x3x3 supercube. The circle corners all take care of themselves when the outer edges are put in place, while the circle edges all act the same as the edge stripes of the 3x3x3 supercube's centres.

Nice...

Thanks for helping me see that,
Carl

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 1:44 am 

wwwmwww wrote:
Ok... time for some pretty POV-Ray pictures as promised here.
Thank you wwwmwww; you have done a much better job explaining the existence of the redundant parts than I did :D

konsassen wrote:
stardust4ever wrote:
I mentioned in a previous post that the "swapped edges" can be solved solely by three piece commutators alone. Here is the algorithm. I know it's a little bit long-winded, but it works....

stardust4ever,
your algorithm works fine on the Crazy 4x4x4 as you had expected.
The algorithm of Michael Gottlieb (u' R F' U R' F u d F' R U' F R' d' )achieves the same thing with 14 moves.
If I count the U'+U2 in your algorithm as one move, your algorithm is 32 moves.
Yes, but my 36 more sequence requires less memorization than the 14 move version.

One thing that I would like to mention here is that I have an extremely difficult time blunt-memorizing algorithms. Therefore, if I plan on taking a cube with my on the go, I also have to bring along my "cheat sheet". Since I can solve the first two 3x3x3 layers without help, my cheat sheet has a total of 4 top layer algorithms for the 3x3x3, a universal corner twist and a universal edge flip that fix one edge/corner and allow the cubist to rotate the top face edge/corner in question into position midway through the algorithm before undoing the previous moves. There is also a three-piece edge commutator and a three-piece corner commutator that do not affect parity at all, meaning it does not matter which order the algorithms are applied. Odd parity can be fixed simply by applying U or U'. All four of my 3x3x3 algorithms are also "Kosher", my term for a normal algorithm that does not disrupt face centers, meaning it will also works on super cubes.

For the 4x4x4 and 5x5x5 (and higher order V-Cubes), I am able to solve all of the center pieces on each face without help. I then use an 8 move, 3-piece commutator extensively to solve the remainder of the edges. Then there is the odd-parity condition that sometimes results. On 5x5x5 cubes, this is immediately evident before the 3x3x3 solve, on the 4x4x4 cubes, this condition is not recognizable until near the end of the 3x3x3 solve. This is the single pair of flipped tredges. As I mentioned earlier, the "very good" algorithm that I use to solve this scenario is appropriate for both 4x4x4 and 5x5x5 solves, and has the fewest "non-Kosher" side effects that I can tell regarding face centers. It corrects the "odd" parity by rotating a single quarter turn r face of the "inner" 2x2x2 or 3x3x3. It's also the longest algorithm on my Cheat Sheet. The other parity issue, which only mucks up 4x4x4 solves, is not really a parity at all. Furthermore, most of the 4x4x4 solutions that I have encountered generally muck up the face centers on supercubes as well as normal 5x5x5s. So I discovered since it is not affected by parity at all, I could use my existing 3 edge commutator to fix this condition, as I have demonstrated, despite requiring 32 moves to do so. By incorporating my existing 3-piece commutator into the fix, it also allowed me to strike the final seventh algorithm off of my cheat sheet, bringing the the total number of necessary algorithms down to six. Using those six algorithms, I can solve any size NxNxN cube (with only 4 algorithms for the 3x3x3, and 2 algorithms for the 2x2x2), albeit even if restricting usage to just six algorithms takes me longer to solve, those six algorithms are all that is required for me to complete the cube. Someday I will start a topic devoted based on my "six-algorithm solution" but for now, I need to go to bed.

BTW, I am not a speed-solver; I am a "simple solver" :P

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 8:16 am 

stardust4ever wrote:
Thank you wwwmwww; you have done a much better job explaining the existence of the redundant parts than I did :D
A picture is worth a 1000 words and luns did most of the typing. It just took me some effort to see what you and he were saying so once I did I figured I could help others do the same.

stardust4ever wrote:
Someday I will start a topic devoted based on my "six-algorithm solution" but for now, I need to go to bed.

BTW, I am not a speed-solver; I am a "simple solver" :P
Wow!!!! That is EXACTLY what I need. It's been 20 years since I've been a "solver" at all. In High School I was able to just solve the top layer of a 3x3x3 intuitively, but I had memorized several algorithms and was able to solve the 3x3x3. In fact I got relatively fast at it. Nothing impressive really but I could solve it in about a minute and at my High School that was impressive then. Now... I want to understand what I'm doing and I've long forgotten all the algoithms I once had memorized as I didn't really understand them. Within the last year or so the bug has been building in me again and by just playing with the cube I can now solve the top 2 layers of a 3x3x3 intuitively... something I couldn't really do in High School but now I have to get a book out to solve the last layer as I've resisted simply memorizing moves again. Your Cheat Sheet sounds like something I could really use. Though I must also confess I've always sort of been stuck trying to solve the higher order cubes 1 layer at a time just as that was all I knew from solving the 3x3x3. I don't know of I could solve all the center pieces on each face without help as you can as I've never really tried that approach. Though I do want to learn. If you ever start that topic PLEASE pm me. My employment situation will be pulling my focus away from these forums for I don't yet know how long and I'd hate to miss it.

Thanks,
Carl

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 11:00 pm 

if anyone needs help, here is my solution.

step 0 : solve inner 2x2 centers
step 1 : solve 4x4 centers
step 2 : line up edge pairs
step 3 : solve as 3x3
Parity : for case that can normally be solved by r2 U2 r2 Uu2 r2 u2, which doesn't work on this cube because that transfers the parity from the edges to the centers.
the correct algorithm for the parity case ( without screwing up 2x2 centers is u L' U' L U F U' F' u' d' F U F' U' L' U L d.

:solved: :scrambled: :solved: :scrambled:
:scrambled: :solved: :scrambled: :solved:

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 9:12 am 

ubuntucuber wrote:
if anyone needs help, here is my solution.

step 0 : solve inner 2x2x2 centers
step 1 : solve 4x4x4 centers
step 2 : line up edge pairs
step 3 : solve as 3x3x3
(sorry, pet peeve of mine :oops: )

Parity : for case that can normally be solved by r2 U2 r2 Uu2 r2 u2, which doesn't work on this cube because that transfers the parity from the edges to the centers.
the correct algorithm for the parity case ( without screwing up 2x2 centers is u L' U' L U F U' F' u' d' F U F' U' L' U L d.

Well, I went home over the weekend, and unboxed my crazy 4x4x4. Unfortunately, one of the faces had disassembled during transit, so I put back the pieces on the top layer. As soon as I attempted twisting of the faces, the cube exploded! The culprit? Two of the roundy center caps were not glued down, one on the yellow face and one on the green face. Nothing two small drops of superglue can't fix. After letting it set overnight, I reassembled all of the pieces; reattaching the square centers to the round caps can be a pain, as you have to twist the 2x2x2 core approximately 22.5 degrees (one sixteenth of a turn) in order to cram the square centers on. Finally, to get the puzzle turning really smoothly, I used my usual Dupont Silicone+Teflon lubrication method. I recommend misaligning the inner 2x2x2 to form a little square hole, then stick the straw down into the core and give a little squirt. Immediately scramble your freshly lubed puzzle; the silicone will naturally work it's way from the core into the outer layers of the puzzle.

I gave my fiance the honor of first scramble, as I typically do if she is present the first time I try to solve my puzzles. It solved fine on my first try. The crazy 4x4x4 is really a joy to solve, as there is more variety in the solve process. It takes much of the monotony out of the traditional large cube. You have to be careful when matching pairs of square centers, to make sure to always rotate the inner 2x2x2 back into it's solved position when you're done transmuting them. The monoflip parity does not exist unless the parity of the inner 2x2x2 is odd, which will obviously not occur if it is solved.

For the swapped edge parity, I use the same 3-piece commutator that I use to solve the edges, four times over with U2 in between (read my previous posts on the subject).
My verdict: buy this cube!!!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 10:14 am 

u L' U' L U F U' F' u' d' F U F' U' L' U L d

that is the parity algorithm

only is the pieces that need to be switched are on the front-left and front-right

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 5:35 pm 

ubuntucuber wrote:
u L' U' L U F U' F' u' d' F U F' U' L' U L d

that is the parity algorithm

only is the pieces that need to be switched are on the front-left and front-right

This parity algorithm is quite similar to the parity algorithm of Michael Gottlieb that I had mentioned
in my post October 14.
I repeat it here mirrored to show better the similarity to ubuntucuber's sequence:
u L' F U' L F' u' d' F L' U F' L d (14 moves).
I find the sequence quite elegant because 1.) it is easy to see what's going on,
2.) needs almost no memorization (Because you understand what's happening) and 3.) because it is short.

For those who are interested I'll explain the algorithm in detail:

Why do I say "easy to see what's going on"?
Let's put some brackets into the sequence:
u (L' F U' L F') u' d' (F L' U F' L) d
The part X1=(L' F U' L F') swaps the pair of edges at FL (named in the following Flu and Fld) and the part (F L' U F' L)
is just X1' (inverse sequence of X1).
(It's like changing the orientation of an FL edge on a 3x3x3.)

The first u creates a mixed pair of FL and FR edges (Fru goes to the location Flu).
Then X1 swaps this mixed pair of edges (original cubie Flu is now at its final location Fld, original cubie Fld
at location Flu).
The rest of the cube looks a bit scrambled but the u and d layers have changed at location Flu and Fld only.
u' brings the original Fld (currently at Flu) to its final destination at location Fru.
d' moves cubie Frd to location Fld.
X1' swaps again the pair of edges at FL (Original Frd is now at final destination Flu) AND sets back the scrambled rest of the cube to its original state.
d inverses the d' (Original Flu goes to final destination Frd) and we are done.

In ubuntucuber's algorithm the part (L' U' L U F U' F') is X1 and (F U F' U' L' U L) is X1'.
The rest of the logic is identical.

Works fine on 4x4x4 and 5x5x5 supercubes as on the Crazy 4x4x4.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2009 12:45 pm 

Here's some pics of the internal 3x3x3 inside of a 2x2x2 inside of a 4x4x4 mechanism. Sorry about the fuzzy pictures; my Motorola V3 cellphone is not the best digital camera, but I did sharpen the images in Photoshop.
Attachment:
crazy cube internals exposed.jpg
crazy cube internals exposed.jpg [ 78.93 KiB | Viewed 11477 times ]

That internal 3x3x3 mech is built of some super-tough plastic construction! I tried to pop an edge out, but it wouldn't budge...
Attachment:
Crazy core.jpg
Crazy core.jpg [ 66.4 KiB | Viewed 11475 times ]

Please don't try to disassemble the internal 2x2x2 sphere like I did! I ran into serious problems screwing the corners back in place. Either half the screws were already stripped before I even unscrewed them the first time, or they shredded the plastic threads going back in. When I reassembled the puzzle, I started randomly shuffling it up, and the internals were ridiculously loose, with misalignments and gaps between the spherical core pieces. This caused extreme lockups between the circular grooves of the face centers on the outer layers. Finally, after a couple of minutes of randomly twisting around the faces, the entire puzzle exploded with one whole eighth of the puzzle fell off (more specifically, the spherical 2x2x2 corner that was bolted down to the 3x3x3 mini core). Urgggh :x Had to dismantle and reassemble the entire thing again, this time using superglue to hold the 8 Spherical corners in place, in addition to the screws. That's the second time I've had to superglue something on this puzzle. It didn't help matters very much that I had freshly silicone-lubed the internals, either. Take that, LockTight... I was so scared I was going to accidentally glue down an edge piece or something else inside the core and ruin the puzzle, but I got the 2x2x2 portion permanently glued back together. I waited a couple of hours for the glue to fully cure before I added back all of the 4x4x4 cubies. Well, at least all of the inner cuts turned freely when I tested it - and that was an insanely tight fit trying to pop that last edge cubie back in - I can safely say this cube is never coming apart, ever again - well, maybe Chuck Norris could rip it back apart, or else it'd take the strength of eight mules pulling in different directions to do it!!! :lol:

Seriously though, don't undo the internal 2x2x2 mech; it's not worth the trouble :roll:

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 6:27 pm 

I just had a thought - would it be possible to cut one of these down into a cubeoctahedron, or would it fall apart that way?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 7:21 pm 

The puzzle is just a little less modable then a regular Rubik's 4x4.

YOu just cant cut any of the 2x2 parts. Most shape mods are possible.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2009 10:33 pm 

Mine fell apart last night.

Fortunately the train was near the end of the line and I was in the end car, so I heard the first piece fall on the floor. There was even an empty seat next to me so I could set pieces on it while trying to piece it back together.

The convex inner centres are solved. The corners are solved and edges are in a configuration that I know is solvable, though I haven't accomplished it yet without messing up the inner centres.

So the first question is about the concave outer centres. Are there configurations which can't be solved, like 11/12 of the configurations of an ordinary 3x3x3 cube? Or are all configurations solvable? If there are multiple orbits of configurations then I'd better take the whole thing apart and put it back together solved.

The second question is if it's OK to just put Krazy Glue on the post of the inner centre that fell out, and glue it to the interior post which is now visible.

(I don't want to read hints or techniques on how others have solved this puzzle. I still want to solve it myself, no matter how excessively beginner level my beginner trials are.)

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2009 10:55 pm 

I am pretty sure that all center piece configureations work for a not super 4x4x4 as I have an alg to switch just two of them. I Krazy Glued my 2x2x2 cap back on (mine broke in transit.) It still works for me. Hope that helps, Tanner.

"I discovered the triangle one day while shaving. I trimmed my beard like the intersection of three circles and noticed how I could unfog a square in the bathroom mirror by rubbing my beard circularly against the glass."-Franz Reuleaux

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2009 11:04 pm 

Steryne wrote:
I am pretty sure that all center piece configureations work for a not super 4x4x4 as I have an alg to switch just two of them. I Krazy Glued my 2x2x2 cap back on (mine broke in transit.) It still works for me. Hope that helps, Tanner.

Thank you.

But now your corrupted wish wasn't granted because the person below you typed some characters, even though in a different forum.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2009 11:16 pm 

I agree, their were better answers to my wish then the one s/he chose.
I was looking for coppied text (still not "typed") or a few smilies.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2009 11:25 pm 

Actually I meant that the person below you in this forum typed characters in response to your posting. This is a different forum from the forum where that topic was on topic though, so I'd better not do it again.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2009 3:59 am 

A second inner centre fell out. I took the whole thing apart, put it back together solved, Krazy Glued the post, and will try starting over in a few days.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2009 3:53 am 

Okay, people, a little heads up on the crazy glue thing:

My Cube partially disassembled in the mail due to a green center cap that came off. There was also a yellow one that was loose as well. I disassembled the crazy cube and tugged on every round center cap to make sure they were secure. None of them budged. With all the 4x4x4 pieces disassembled, (including the square centers), place a drop of glue into the hole on the underside of the round cap. Then press it firmly and securely back into it's socket. Hold it in place for about 30 seconds to set it. If you've got multiple center caps loose, be sure to pay careful attention to the correct color arrangement before applying them. Wait for glue to dry before reassembling. If the inner 2x2x2 is scrambled, then you will need to solve it using standard methods before reassembling the rest of the puzzle. Otherwise, you may end up with an unsolvable parity error unique to the Crazy 4x4x4.

DO NOT DISASSEMBLE THE CORE. The thread pitch on the screws is so fine that it shreds the plastic very easily. If you strip the threads, you will need to glue the 2x2x2 quarter-hemisphere back on to the inner mech 3x3x3 corner, then twist the screw back in before the glue sets (this pushes the glue down into the threads of the screw, permanently securing it to the plastic) while placing firm pressure on the part the entire time to ensure the glue bonds properly.

Getting the 24 square centers reattached is a pain. You must rotate the 2x2x2 sphere by about a 1/16 turn (22 degrees) in order to fit the lips of the center squares underneath the round caps. You'll do this two square centers at a time around the "equator" until you've finished four colors of the puzzle. Now realign the core and do a 1/16 (22 degree) turn vertically. Insert the remaining pieces the same way for the top and bottom face centers.

Now assemble the remainder of the puzzle the same as a Rubik's 4x44.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 146 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next