Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Sat Apr 19, 2014 3:20 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Progress Update
PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 8:59 am 

Not that I don't have enough Twisty stuff on my plate, but other than David, I haven't heard much from the content mods these days. Any articles or solutions almost finished? How about the Videos and Links sections? The Puzzle of the Month contest (which has massive potential in my view) doesn't seem to be off the ground yet. To give you an update on my progress, there are a few things that I haven't done yet, such as sending the museum image people the massive backlog and rediscovering and resurrecting the patent collection that I've got half-completed somewhere around.

Sandy

Post subject: Re: Progress Update
PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 9:19 am 

Ouch, that almost sounds as iff we are being spanked. :lol:
send me your patent info and I'll go through it and load it.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 9:38 am 

Spanked?! Someone's mind isn't on puzzles! (And since I wrote this, I guess that means it's mine...)

I was going for "reminded", "encouraged", "motivated", "inspired"! Of course, if none of those work, then that's a paddlin'.

Seriously, though, I believe people are sincere in their expressions of wanting to contribute to the content of this site, so I tell myself that all that's required is for me to be doing my share and to drop the occasional reminder. Am I wrong? (My results seem to indicate I am...!) Is there a way of approaching this that would be more effective for any of you?

Sandy

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2009 10:23 am 

I'm starting to become back in action around here. I've been lurking the past couple days catching up on old threads. I plan to get the PotM up and running soon. I still have to finish the PotY08 (Thanks for getting on my case about it at the MN Open Darren). Hopefully this will be done by the end of this week.

25, Male
Started cubing Oct 15 '05

Out of the game, but not completely.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2009 10:52 am 

LOL Sandy your approach is right in my opinion.

But I need to add that so unexpected events have arisen,
and I am always catching up. Thanks to this forum, I can have
some nice "breaks"! I am onto to the pricing task (have actually started),
but my super priority right now is to make a nice puzzle "review"
for the... big guy! (I won't say yet publicly who it is, give me five weeks!)

;)

Pantazis

PS. And Noah... where have *you* been???

Educational R&D, Gravity, 4D Symmetry, Puzzle Ninja, Matrix Mech, Alien Technology.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 10:36 pm 

I was thinking that may be we should have a public check list that needs to be done so that certain people would want to get it done fast because there name is on the line. Nobody wants a bad reputation. When it is done to Sandy's liking or any higher ups for that matter it can get deleted it.

Anybody like my idea I hope?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 12:13 pm 

In the summer of 2002 I made a commitment to myself that I would add two puzzles (which included editing about 5-10 photographs) to the museum every day. It seemed wise to build the world-class resource I envisioned by consistently contributing a small amount of information over a long period of time. This commitment resulted in an 18 month period of unprecedented growth for the museum. By the end of 2003, the number of entries almost doubled. I single-handedly added about 700 puzzles and over 2000 photographs.

As the months went by, however, the daily task that began as a labour of love became twisted into an easily-avoidable, undesirable chore. Some days I wouldn't add the two puzzles, so I told myself I had to add four the next day. Sometimes I "owed" 20 or 30 puzzle contributions, which would take an entire day to accomplish. Under this ruthless self-imposed weight, my nearly-boundless ethusiasm for finding, acquiring, photographing and publishing information on these puzzles was crushed. My loving stewardship of this site and its community predictably dwindled and I soon dropped the entire hobby in favour of other pursuits. It took a number of years and a long personal journey which included bottoming-out in many other aspects of my life before I could sufficiently integrate the lessons behind this experience.

We need to contibute to this site only in such ways that flourish our love for this hobby. Nothing else is acceptable. We need to support each other in making contributions, not coerce each other. If people aren't able to contribute to this site in a loving and effortless manner, they should reconsider their choice to contribute. Being a community leader, having a title and a unique colour can be a lot of fun, but it does come with a set of responsibilities that are capable of serious detracting from the love of the hobby if not handled properly. That is the last thing that anyone wants.

Sandy

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 9:59 am 

Well said, Sandy. I, for one, will do my best to get moving on solutions. This is a great site, and we should all be doing our part. Thanks for the kick in the pants!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2009 2:04 pm 

I made a few submissions to the museum a few weeks ago but it never got put in. I tried to contribute :/

Quote:
We need to support each other in making contributions, not coerce each other

I can't agree much more with that, although Wayne fixed the problem of people just flaming each other with "use the search function -_-" etc when it could have been a simple yes or no. Or many other occasions when people just simply put down another. I'm starting to see it more and more now but I'm only guessing its from the new members that join that still don't quite understand how things should work here.

Now where's my ice pack, my buttocks is throbbing with pain.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 8:42 am 

Sandy wrote:
We need to contibute to this site only in such ways that flourish our love for this hobby. Nothing else is acceptable. We need to support each other in making contributions, not coerce each other. If people aren't able to contribute to this site in a loving and effortless manner, they should reconsider their choice to contribute. Being a community leader, having a title and a unique colour can be a lot of fun, but it does come with a set of responsibilities that are capable of serious detracting from the love of the hobby if not handled properly. That is the last thing that anyone wants.

Sandy

I only said it harsh to get the point a cross. I didn't actually mean it. Does any body Know how the progress is going for the database and/or any other type of thing related to this site?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 11:06 am 

Another thing is that, there was a request to update ebay prices (which I have tracked down the years)
according to accurate enough dates. In my opinion there is no need for this.

And sadly, this has caused a major headache to me, and has significantly slowed down my progress.
I can remember very few dates (usually for items that I had won), but that's about it. If anyone wants
to do the search for those dates (maybe on the "Items for sale" thread), please be my guest.

But because of this, now I am stuck. The database would have been updated from my part
during the first week I took over this task, but the unreasonable request (always in my opinion)
has wasted a lot of my time. After a lot of thought, I see no reason why those prices should have
an exact date.

Please let me know what I should do, and if still can offer those price data. But if the answer is "yes"
there would be no guarantee for the accuracy of the dates (they may even be +/- one year).

Pantazis

Educational R&D, Gravity, 4D Symmetry, Puzzle Ninja, Matrix Mech, Alien Technology.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 8:59 am 

kastellorizo wrote:
Please let me know what I should do, and if still can offer those price data. But if the answer is "yes" there would be no guarantee for the accuracy of the dates (they may even be +/- one year).

This may help us decide.

Sandy

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 12:01 pm 

Just a small update - I am now well into the Pyraminx Crystal solution and hope to have it completed and submitted to Sandy before the weekend.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2009 9:12 pm 

I haven't been able to contribute any work as of yet because my PSU went up in my desktop :? I have had to use my uncle's computer when I can but not to worry my alienware is on its way and i can get back into the spin of things :D

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2009 11:22 pm 

Synester wrote:
I haven't been able to contribute any work as of yet because my PSU went up in my desktop :? I have had to use my uncle's computer when I can but not to worry my alienware is on its way and i can get back into the spin of things :D

Was your desktop swamped by a tsunami?
Is the PSU your practical salinity unit?

I had to post this after looking up what PSU is standing for.
(I now know you were using it in the sense of power supply unit lol)

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2009 11:54 pm 

Georges wrote:
Synester wrote:

Was your desktop swamped by a tsunami?
Is the PSU your practical salinity unit?

I had to post this after looking up what PSU is standing for.
(I now know you were using it in the sense of power supply unit lol)

That just brightened up my night Georges :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 3:57 pm 

kastellorizo wrote:
Please let me know what I should do, and if still can offer those price data. But if the answer is "yes"
there would be no guarantee for the accuracy of the dates (they may even be +/- one year).

Okay, so according to this poll, people are okay with you estimating the date as long as you indicate in the notes that the date was estimated. Simply include something like "Sale date estimated." in the spreadsheet Notes field.

Sandy

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 6:19 pm 

Sandy wrote:
kastellorizo wrote:

Okay, so according to this poll, people are okay with you estimating the date as long as you indicate in the notes that the date was estimated. Simply include something like "Sale date estimated." in the spreadsheet Notes field.

Sandy

Thanks Sandy!

Greetings from beautiful Kastellorizo island!

:)

Pantazis