Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Mon Apr 21, 2014 5:57 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Oskar done it again!
PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2009 5:57 am 

Oskar has done it again: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UDVb9NExsA8
Amazing :shock: !

Check out my youtube Channel
---------------------------------------------
"Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away"

Post subject: Re: Oskar done it again!
PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2009 6:20 am 

LOL!!!

not only the puzzles, but also his presentations become better and better!

:lol:

Pantazis

Educational R&D, Gravity, 4D Symmetry, Puzzle Ninja, Matrix Mech, Alien Technology.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2009 9:58 am 

His puzzles are absolutely awesome and the presentation of this one was a bit funny. His english isn't too good though....

Last edited by luke1984 on Sat Aug 01, 2009 11:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2009 10:09 am 

luke1984 wrote:
awsome

But I am pretty sure his spelling is better than yours.
(English is not the first language for many people, including me, I thought you were aware of it?)

;)

Pantazis

Educational R&D, Gravity, 4D Symmetry, Puzzle Ninja, Matrix Mech, Alien Technology.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2009 10:24 am 

luke1984 wrote:
His puzzles are absolutely awsome and the presentation of this one was a bit funny. His english isn't too good though....

Hmm, I like his accent though :lol:
kastellorizo wrote:
luke1984 wrote:
awsome

(English is not the first language for many people, including me, I thought you were aware of it?)

;)

Pantazis

LOL! You totally countered him :lol:
Peace Man ;D

Check out my youtube Channel
---------------------------------------------
"Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away"

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2009 10:27 am 

Oh my word, this man's awesomeness is never going to peak, he keeps outdoing himself on a regular basis. I just couldn't believe my own eyes when I saw it, he put gloves on in the video and I thought the cube would spike him or something when he solved it :lol:

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2009 10:34 am 

Another wonderful puzzle. I loved the tie thrown over the shoulder. I can just imagine that getting stuck into the gears!

What's wrong with his English? It is completely understandable, slight L1 accent, but no interference. Be nice guys! This forum while small, is pretty universal. English is not everyones first language. You should be glad Oskar loads videos you can understand!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2009 11:00 am 

Nice!!!! Though I do wonder just how this puzzle fits into some of our standard definitions... see my post here:

http://twistypuzzles.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=171945#p171945

Also... I'm curious. Starting from a solved cube how many degrees does the top need to be turned before the puzzle looks like a cube again? Is the puzzle back in the solved state at this time? If not, how many degrees does it have to be turned to return to the solved state? It appears the top must be turned 180 degrees before another face can be turned but after that 180 degree turn the edges that rotated seem to be at a very odd angle.

Carl

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2009 11:01 am 

I think this my favorite out of all of Oskar's puzzles. And my favorite video. I think his english is great. I know if I tried to speak a language other than english I am pretty sure I would butcher it.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2009 11:19 am 

kastellorizo wrote:
luke1984 wrote:
awsome

;)

Pantazis

That was a typo, I know it's spelled awesome as it induces "awe". And his english grammer isn't that bad but his pronunciation is horrible. An accent is unavoidable when english isn't your first language but it's not like you shouldn't at least try. I just don't believe this is the best he can do, pronunciation-wise.

But let's talk about puzzles...

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2009 12:21 pm 

luke1984 wrote:
kastellorizo wrote:
luke1984 wrote:
awsome

;)

Pantazis

That was a typo, I know it's spelled awesome as it induces "awe". And his english grammer isn't that bad but his pronunciation is horrible. An accent is unavoidable when english isn't your first language but it's not like you shouldn't at least try. I just don't believe this is the best he can do, pronunciation-wise.

Why should we talk about puzzles when we can talk about:
1. Your run-on sentence ("That was a typo, I know it's spelled...")
2. Your unnecessary beginning "and" ("And his english grammer..." should start with "His")
3. Your missed capitalization of the word English ("english")
4. Your misspelling of the word grammar ("grammer")
5. Your first missed comma (it should be "...isn't that bad, but his...")
6. Your second missed comma (it should be "...your first language, but it's not...")

Sorry, I got distracted.

Oskar, incredible puzzle! I've seen your Geary Cube before, where two sides turn in opposite directions simultaneously, but I never would have thought you could take it to the next level by turning EDGES with gears! The presentation was entertaining as well!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2009 12:34 pm 

I don't like it. :?

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2009 12:46 pm 

luke1984 wrote:
kastellorizo wrote:
luke1984 wrote:
awsome

;)

Pantazis

Hey, I was just pulling your leg. ;)

Different languages give completely different accents. You will know this
if you visit many different countries. The way words are pronounced can
be completely different. And why would you think he is not trying?
I think that was a very unfair comment and not something nice to say.

My accent is also bad, and I had people telling me that, NOT nice!
(so I know first hand, and yes I *try*)

;)

Pantazis

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2009 2:51 pm 

:lol: It's not your accent Dr. It's the speed you speak at. If you don't have a brain that can register what you say that fast......I miss it. :lol:

But then I wouldn't even attempt Greek, and you've heard me with my futile attempts at German, (to say nothing about my bad Cantonese) so who am I to judge! Thank heavens for tolerant friends!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2009 3:56 pm 

Since English is not Oskar's first language, I must commend him for being more proficient than many native speakers. Some Americans cannot speak proper English to save their lives despite it being the only language they know.

Anyways, Oskar certainly has a god-like skill when it comes to making real puzzles that defy all conventions.

I pledge allegiance to the whole of humanity, and to the world in which we live: one people under the heavens, indivisible, with Liberty and Equality for all.

My Shapeways Shop

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2009 4:55 pm 

blizzard_kb wrote:

2. Your unnecessary beginning "and" ("And his english grammer..." should start with "His")
6. Your second missed comma (it should be "...your first language, but it's not...")

Sorry, I got distracted.

Oskar, incredible puzzle! I've seen your Geary Cube before, where two sides turn in opposite directions simultaneously, but I never would have thought you could take it to the next level by turning EDGES with gears! The presentation was entertaining as well!

And the sad thing is: as bad as my English may seem, it's still alot better than that of the average American, and I'm Dutch! But if I'm not wanted here, I'll go bug someone else...

Last edited by luke1984 on Sat Aug 01, 2009 4:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2009 4:56 pm 

Wow, this may surpass Matt's Danger Cube as the most dangerous puzzle ever! I can see someone getting hurt playing with this, and because of that it could probably have been more thought out. But at the same time it looks way cool to turn, so I will compromise and wear gloves :wink:

Can we take the grammar wars somewhere else, please??

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2009 4:57 pm 

Three questions/comments:

1. Is this thread really supposed to be about English language proficiency?

2. Why do people here always give so much (all) of the credit to Oskar, when many or even most of "his" puzzles are actually designed and made by Bram and others working with Oskar?

3. Incredible puzzle, I would like to see more of these puzzles entered into competitions, but I guess that wouldn't be fair on everyone else! :lol:

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2009 5:04 pm 

Kelvin Stott wrote:
2. Why do people here always give so much (all) of the credit to Oskar, when many or even most of "his" puzzles are actually designed and made by Bram and others working with Oskar?

My understanding is that Bram will come to Oscar with an idea or a concept, and Oscar will find a way to make it work. He does all the 3d designing.

Drew gets 90% of his mechanisms from the Verdes patent. Does that mean that he shouldn't get credit for them?

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2009 5:11 pm 

I never said that Oskar shouldn't get any credit, just that some people should get a bit more credit. After all, it's really the concepts that people find amazing with these puzzles, at least as much the execution.

How would people feel playing in a team where one team member always gets all the credit for winning? Would Oskar create so many amazing puzzles without the ideas from Bram and others? I doubt it.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2009 5:42 pm 

luke1984 wrote:
blizzard_kb wrote:

Sorry, I got distracted.

And the sad thing is: as bad as my English may seem, it's still alot better than that of the average American, and I'm Dutch! But if I'm not wanted here, I'll go bug someone else...

It's not you that's not wanted - it's your hurtful comment about Oskar's accent that isn't wanted. None of us have proof that he isn't trying to pronounce English correctly already. If you actually cared about him fixing his strong accent in his video, you could have just sent him a private message. But you chose instead to throw a gratuitous remark into a public forum about it, and then walked away from the comment as if it was nothing.

And you should ESPECIALLY not write up a comment about someone else's poor accent if your grammar and spelling while writing about said accent are far from perfect to begin with.

The way you're reacting here is the same way Oskar might feel if/when he reads this thread. He may not leave the forum, and he very well may brush it off, but underneath all of that he has feelings. You would do well to remember that. If you see a problem with his accent, you should think first of how it could be fixed, and then communicate that to him PRIVATELY, instead of in a thread that's supposed to celebrate a new puzzle he built.

Kelvin Stott wrote:
Three questions/comments:

1. Is this thread really supposed to be about English language proficiency?

The snarky comments from the anal-retentive word nerd (me) are over. I'm done. No more jihad on grammar from me. :)

Kelvin Stott wrote:

I had no idea at first other people were involved. He did mention some names in some of his videos, but as his face was the only one I saw in the videos, I tuned out that information. I guess it's like Elton John and Bernie Taupin. Everyone thinks Elton is a lyrical genius, when he doesn't write any of the words - Bernie does all the lyric writing. In fact, the words are all written before Elton even starts writing music for it, which makes it even more analogous to this situation. So hats off to "Bram and others" as well! :)

Kelvin Stott wrote:
3. Incredible puzzle, I would like to see more of these puzzles entered into competitions, but I guess that wouldn't be fair on everyone else! :lol:

I agree. He/they would be competing against himself/themselves. (How's that for credit to Bram?) :)

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2009 7:30 pm 

We're talking about derivatives of Rubik's Cube, right? All further discussion should be in Hungarian.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2009 7:56 pm 

Kelvin Stott wrote:

Actually in many of my posts I think I've done the opposite. When Bram has replied to some of my questions, I've replied calling these "his" puzzles. And I think the first time that happened I was thinking Bram was the guy in the videos. I quickly realized that wasn't the case but I think some of the confusion may come from the way most learn of these puzzles as YouTube has them all grouped here:

http://www.youtube.com/user/OskarPuzzle

So it seems natural to think of these as Oskar's puzzles. I have myself at times wondered who was best to credit for these puzzles and I've been looking more at the descriptions on YouTube.

Here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UDVb9NExsA8 the Caution Cube says "Copyright (c) 2009 Oskar van Deventer."

And here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cf2OnAKUuZg the Geary Cube says Copyright (c) Bram Cohen and Oskar van Deventer 2009."

So does this mean it is ok to refer to the Caution Cube as Oskar's puzzle and the Geary Cube as Bram and Oskar's puzzle? To be honest... I'm really curious as I'm not sure of the details of the connections between the two. They do really seem to come across as a team, Oskar makes the videos, and Bram seems to be the one here answering the questions. Off the top of my head I'm not sure I've seen a post from Oskar himself.

And regarding Oskar's accent... I think those making an issue out of it are silly. English is my only language and he sounds just fine to me.

Carl

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2009 8:39 pm 

Yeesh, so much angst about credit.

The form of collaboration between me and Oskar is all over the map. A few of the puzzles are all him (for example, I had nothing to do with the Fadi Cube), some of them Oskar did mostly CAD monkey work. Most of them are true collaborations though, with a combination of ideas from me and Oskar, with more of the conceptual ideas coming from me and more of the design work from Oskar, but Oskar contributes some important conceptual ideas and I sometimes contribute to the actual design as well, and for many of these puzzles the CAD work is by its nature not a simple mechanical task but actually requires finishing the design.

Oskar by the way is extremely prolific and has a whole lot of puzzle projects going on which I'm not involved in, and I have a bunch of puzzles which Oskar didn't contribute to, but my twisty ideas tend to involve some serious CAD work, and I haven't learned CAD yet, so basically all of those have been collaborations with him.

By the way, Oskar speaks completely fluent and understandable english :-P

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2009 6:02 am 

Many thanks for clarifying this, Bram,

I think it is amazing how well you two work together as a true team, each complementing the skills of the other in a flexible manner, almost like an elegant dance. Clearly you also have a lot of respect and appreciation for each other, which I imagine is a critical success factor in your partnership. Hopefully others on this forum will appreciate this a bit more, not just because I think you deserve more credit, but because it really shows how good teamwork can produce the best innovation.

In fact I would love to have you guys come over and give a talk on the importance of good teamwork for innovation at the pharmaceutical company I work for. I think your puzzles are a true testament to this, but please send me a PM to confirm if you might be interested before I make enquiries within our company.

Congratulations again and keep up the incredible teamwork!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2009 1:52 pm 

That is one crazy cube. I feel like throwing up..

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2009 4:05 pm 

katsmom wrote:
:lol: It's not your accent Dr. It's the speed you speak at. If you don't have a brain that can register what you say that fast......I miss it. :lol:

Now you know my problem... I speak Greek at a very fast speed, and when I try to do the same
in English, my tongue just won't follow!!! (my tongue is not evolved yet LOL)

Going back to topic, I foresee Oskar wearing a... nuclear suite in his next video!

:mrgreen:

Pantazis