Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Wed Apr 23, 2014 4:46 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 365 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next
 Post subject: Who's Who...
PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2004 3:59 pm 

This thread is designed to contain little mini bios on any member who cares to post one. In an attempt to keep the thread clean and easily readable, please post just one message about yourself and post any replies to other people's messages either in a new topic or in a private message.

Remember that you can edit any of your own posts, so it's easy to update the entry later on if you wish.

Users who frequented the TwistyMegasite may want to refer to the following threads as potential cut-and-paste sources for some of this info:

viewtopic.php?t=214
viewtopic.php?t=472

Here are some sample questions you may consider answering (mostly stolen from Michael's thread!), but feel free to write whatever you want:

1) Age, location, profession, eBay ID?
2) Is your main twisty puzzles interest solving, collecting, building, or something else?
3) How long have you been doing the above? If (like most of us) you lost touch with the field for a while, tell us the story! How did you get dragged back in?
4) If you build puzzles, what have you built, and what are your current projects?
5) How many puzzles are in your collection? Would you dare estimate how much it's worth?
6) How would you define the "boundaries" of your collection? In other words, which types of puzzles do you collect, and which puzzles do you avoid?
7) Which one of your puzzles is the sentimental favourite and why?
8) Which one would currently have the most monetary value on eBay?
9) What is your favourite puzzle overall for: a) solving, b) appearance, c) feel, d) complexity, e) other reasons.
10) Enough about puzzles. Do you have any other hobbies?
11) Is there anything else interesting about yourself that you'd like to share?

Sandy

Last edited by Sandy on Fri Aug 27, 2004 4:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Sandy
PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2004 4:00 pm 

1) I'm 31, live in Toronto Canada, work as a software developer, and go by TwistyPuzzles on eBay.

2) My main interest would have to be this site these days, but that aside I'm primarily a collector, although I generally always have at least one puzzle building project going on.

3) While I was living in Romania sometime around 2001, my brother in law (a chess master, and puzzle fanatic) happened to show me a Rubik's Cube that he was trying to solve. I got all intrigued, remembering the hours I spent as I child, and went out and found one of my own. I soon gave up (again), and headed to the internet to find a solution. It was then that I found Denny's puzzle museum, Wayne's forum, Rubiks.com and Mefferts.com. I was well and truly hooked.

4) I've built all of the following (roughly in chronological order): Sphere in Cube, Cube in Sphere, Rubik's Cube in a Jar, Staircase Cube, Edges Only Cube, Starburst, Gem, Octaminx, Star Prism, Dodecagonal Prism, Three Colour Cube, Master Cuboctahedron, Ironic Blindman's Cube, Extended Cuboctahedron, Pocket Missing Link, Master Missing Link. I am currently working (and by "working" I mean "not working at all") on the following: Master Clock (4x4), Professor Clock (5x5) and the Pocket Clock (2x2).

5) The last time I counted, there were 652 unique items. There were at least 150 duplicates and other miscellaneous items that I didn't bother counting. Have a look at my collection here: http://prevalence.com/puzzles . Frankly, I don't want to know how much it's worth. More to the point, I don't want my incredibly tolerant wife to know. I suspect it's worth quite a bit more than the downpayment on the house we still can't afford.

6) I definitely collect ALL of the undisputable "twisty puzzles", all the way down to every last sticker variation. Where I've expanded to from there has been mostly a result of me wanting to try solving a particular puzzle. I have also collected quite a few non-puzzle items with Rubik connections such as autographs, t-shirts, stickers, pins, books, games, and so forth. In other words, I haven't shown much restraint or focus while collecting.

7) My sentimental favourite is definitely my first Rubik's Cube. The bottom half the plastic case has been lost, and the cube is looking very banged up, but I'm amazed it was still kicking around when I went looking for it a few years ago. It even has all of the original stickers, although almost every one has been chipped.

8) I've got a mint Christoph's Magic Jewel, which I suspect is currently the most valuable, but I have no idea. So it's a close call between each of my Dino cubes and Tony Fisher's 4x4x5. If I had to guess, I'd say the Dinos. Most people tend to place more value in rare production puzzles than brilliant custom puzzles. I suppose I understand this, but I don't encourage it.

9) Favourites: a) solving: 5x5x5. b) appearance: Dogic. c) feel: Skewb. d) complexity: Megaminx (there are numerous others TOO complex for my pea brain!).

10) When I can find time away from my 9-month old son Tyson, I enjoy the following hobbies. I listen to and play music quite a bit. I used to be a musician (electric bass, acoustic guitar, piano, vocal) until I came to my senses. I play board games every second Sunday with a group of friends, and role-playing games every Thursday. Logic problems and movies are also favourite pass-times.

11) Nothing else, really. I'm a pretty typical 30-something guy.

Sandy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2004 5:30 pm 

I am 43 I live in Amsterdam The Netherlands, my ebay ID is very simple TonDennebroek

2) Is your main twisty puzzles interest collecting, building, or something else?
I am a collector, puzzle builder and speedcuber, I also design solultion methods based on a minimal set of sequences needed exept for the Rubik's 3x3x3, 4x4x4 5x5x5 , my method is for therse are mix of Ron's my and others methods

3) How long have you been doing the above? If (like most of us) you lost touch with the field for a while, tell us the story! How did you get dragged back in?
from 1980-1984 and from 1999-taoday so with a gap of 15 year

4) If you build puzzles, what have you built, and what are your current projects?
See my build pages, current projects, I have to much ideas....but I promised myself I will build a 7x7x7 one day!

5) How many puzzles are in your collection? Would you dare estimate how much it's worth?
550+ , I do not dare estimate the value, I gues $0 since I will not never sell it

I aslo have a few hundred doubles + a small stock

6) How would you define the "boundaries" of your collection? In other words, which types of puzzles do you collect, and which puzzles do you avoid?
3D twisty and 2D permutation puzzles

I do not collect take-a-part puzzles or advertisement cubes

Rubik 3x3x3, why it was my first puzzle,My friend had the cube, I finaly solved it on paper because I did not own one! It took me hole week.

Rubik's Ivory Cube, I miss this one in my collection. Do not ask me what I am willing to pay for it.

9) What is your favourite puzzle overall for: a) solving, b) appearance, c) feel, d) complexity, e) other reasons.
a) 3x3x3 b) Tony Fisher Gold cube c) Atrolabacus d) 4x4x5 this has some nice new challenges that probably only a few knows!

F1 and a SF

Not realy I am just Ton

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2004 7:55 pm 

cheese

Last edited by cubehead22 on Tue Dec 28, 2004 8:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2004 9:01 pm 

40, Ann Arbor, MI, Computer Geek, ecambridge
2) Is your main twisty puzzles interest collecting, building, or something else?
I like all three. I'm currently trying to work on improving my time. If I can get it under 30 seconds, I'll try to talk my wife into taking a family vacation to the next World Championships IOrlando?). I know I won't win, but 30 seconds seems respectable.
I got my first cube for Christmas in 1981. I quickly got hooked and it became my best friend (very sad, I know). It took me 2 months, but I was eventually able to solve it using the corners first method. When the Rubik's craze slowed down, I still collected, but it was mostly non-twisty mechanical puzzles. When I discovered eBay, TwistyMegaSite, and TwistyPuzzles, I was home again. Thanks to Sandy, Wayne and everyone else who contributes!
I've build many that are just sticker variations or based on pieces from various puzzles. The only complicated mod I've built is a 2x2x4 based on a Revenge. It was fun, but took a long time. I hope to find the time to build more in the future.
Last count was about 300 twistys and about 550 total. Value...Priceless.
I collect all mechanical puzzles, but I focus on the following:
- Twistys specifically Rubik products in original packages
- "Antique" mechanical puzzles.
- Puzzles that the average person can solve (easier mechanical puzzles and things like Ruch Hour and Lunar Lockout (awesome!) from Binary Arts. I like to work with kids on logic and problem solving. I'm hoping to start a puzzle club for kids.
Original 3x3x3, custom 2x2x4.
One of my Dominoes. I have a standard, a red and white Marvel and another red and white one with symbols.
a) 3x3x3
b) Custom built skewb/skewb diamond combo.
c) 5x5x5
d) ?
e) ?
Turtles (Eastern Box to be specific), Youth Ministry (very involved with Young Life)
I love this forum. In order for a place like this to be valuable, it needs to be a true Community and it's clear that the "regulars" here value all comers and many different perspectives. Thank you all!

Post subject: Re: Who's Who...
PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2004 11:29 pm 

This is a marketing masterpiece Sandy. This type of info is very valuable... But that is exactly what I want, marketers getting exited enough knowing that there is a big enough customer base. And people letting us know about promotions and new items. So gladly here it is my information

Quote:

43, Cincinnati, OH, I work in an area called Operation Research wich is basically about mathematical optimization of quantifyable problems.

Quote:

My main interest from the start has been to SOLVE puzzles. I've never used a solution from anyone else. Spent 6 months solving square-1.
Recently I started building my collection, given that it is becoming increasingly difficult and expensive to get twisty puzzles with a new or intersting variation in the solution. The last 3 months I most have purchased or acquired near 50 puzzles most of which are not going to leave their boxes.
I'm not good at building puzzles but I've built a few (ball cube, cube in sphere, gem, starburst, skewb star, and currently a master and junior nintendo barrels)

Quote:

There most be nearly 300 Twisty puzzles in my collection. I have 1000+ total puzzles in my collection. When I started I did not have access to a big variety of Twisty puzzles so I collected anything that looked intersting and affordable. 5 years ago with the Internet I realized that the number of puzzles was infinite so I started specialicing in Twistsy puzzles. I have all sorts of take appart puzzles and secret opening boxes. I have 100+ interlocking and burr sets. And, of course plenty of disentanglement ropes, rins, wires and metals. I will continue to buy any puzzle that I think has something unique or different from the ones I have.
I will not go after the 3x3x3 promos unless they have some interesting pattern like the MOMA puzzle (you should all get one!)

Quote:

From the design point of view: I would have to say my Fisher Golden Cube and Mental Block. Appart from being wild half way through a solution, they are a reminder of how someone can transform a relatively common object (a skewb) into ANYTHING they can imagine.
Of the commercial puzzles I like the Dogic (very nice looking), the Square-1 (still the most difficult one) and the Astolabacus (what a wild mechanism)

Quote:

The Golden Cube should be high up there in peoples lists. There is only a handfull of them, they are fun and they are probably not easy to reproduce. However I doubt very much that you will ever see one on eBay.

Quote:

I do 1 or 2 marthons a year...Walking ... or more precisely racewalking. My best time is 4:20 hrs or 6min/mile=10km/hr pace

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2004 4:31 am 

I'm Jaap Scherphuis, 32 years of age, live in Delft in the Netherlands, am a programmer, and use jaapsch on eBay.

Collecting, solving/analysing (often with computer assistance) and then putting it up on my website. I'm also interesting in puzzle patents.

It started in the early 80s, when every birthday/christmas I would ask for new puzzles. Through the 80s and 90s I continued collecting the few new ones I came across, though I was not really fanatic about it. It was only around 1997 or so when Meffert's puzzles started appearing in the shops (in England) that I slowly began to get a bit more serious about it. I started writing down my solutions, and finally began a website to put my solutions on.

I don't build puzzles. My projects are my programming efforts, puzzle related or otherwise.

I never count them. I have at least 200 prominently displayed in my cabinet, and probably another 200 (duplicates, variations, types I dont' care for) in boxes.

I mainly go for pure twisty puzzles. I generally avoid (dis)assembly puzzles, ring/string puzzles, and such. I like the solution to a puzzle to have a kind of system, not just trying every possibility till you're done.

For me a puzzle is there to be solved, which is also why I rarely want advertising variations of a standard puzzle. The occasional shape variation is ok though.

For no good reason I don't care for custom built puzzles.

The cube remains my favourite, since it started my interest. I don't know for sure however which one is my very first cube.

Not sure. Dino cube (6 colour) probably, else Dogic or Domino.

Solving: 3x3x3 cube. There are just so many different ways of solving it.
Appearance: Original Rubik's Magic. I just love the rainbow colours on black. The Dogic is cool too.
Feel: Apart from the cube, it must be the Astrolabacus. It feels just so organic.
Complexity: Square 1

Computing, Film, Music, SciFi, Magic, Maths.

Jaap's Puzzle Page:
http://www.jaapsch.net/puzzles/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2004 6:01 am 

1) Born Jan 1974, so 33 today. Systems engineer. eBay ID is a poorly kept secret but I won't say publicly.

2) My main focus is building. I don't collect much anymore since I already have all commercially produced mechanisms.

3) Solved a pyraminx back around 1982 and had a small collection. Put away my puzzles for a few years after the fad died but a friend from high school got me interested again (1991). Before eBay was big (98-99) it was hard to find some of the puzzles I wanted but since eBay my interest has been steady.

4) I've made quite a few different custom puzzles. You can pretty much see all of the ones I've made at http://chrono.org/puzzles.html which I update quasi-regularly.

5) Maybe 90 or so unique puzzles according to my twisty puzzles gallery. Very few repeats and few variants except for a pretty fair number of Rubik's Snakes. Estimated worth? To me my collection is priceless.

6) I'm pretty faithful to Twisty puzzles and some puzzles with "Rubik's" name attached to them (like Rubik's Clock). Even the Smart Alex is not quite "twisty" enough for me although I have one in my collection. Twisty mechanisms and how pieces fit together fascinate me. The classic "15" puzzle or variants bore me.

7) The Pyraminx is my sentimental favorite classic puzzle because it was the first I solved. The Slim Tower is also a sentimental favorite because it was the first real custom puzzle I ever made and sold.

8) My most expensive puzzle is probably the Octahedron which goes for $100-200 Consistently. I have an original Hungarian Dogic which used to go for as much as $500, but with the recent reproduction by Meffert I doubt it will fetch as much.

9) The classic 3x3x3 Rubik's Cube is just the perfect puzzle. Challenging to solve so you can't just "stumble" on the solution, other people recognize it immediately, and it's just the perfect puzzle for moving quickly so it is still the overall favorite.

10) Other hobbies? Occasional PC gams.. Japanese monster movies (Godzilla and the like). Camping/hiking. Astronomy. I really enjoy things mechanical/electrical in general.

11) Anything else of interest? I'm a pretty dull person although I have a few interesting stories to tell.

Last edited by Jin H Kim on Fri Jun 01, 2007 2:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject: Get to know me!
PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2004 6:48 am 

28, Wales in the UK, Tech Support for Broadband Internet, necrophagous

I quite like collecting TwistyPuzzles and solving them. I have tried some [b]I collect anything and everything TwistyPuzzle related. I am more drawn towards then NxNxN puzzles and the 15 style puzzles. I've got to admit I also have a softspot for Meffert's Bandaged Cube and Square-1

3) Which one of your puzzles is the sentimental favourite and why?
My first 3x3x3 I bought myself. Bought in 1986 in a school Christmase fete when with my father. First cube I solved and (not being very knowing back then) is lubed to death with Vaseline. Moves like a dream mind and (don't laugh!) I can regularly get times below 1 minute 10 seconds on it!

4) Which one would currently have the most monetary value on eBay?
Probably a tossup between my platic tube packaged 4x4x4, Rubik World or Alexander's mods (which haven't turned out very well!!) Also I like chatting/visiting this forum!

5) How long have you been doing the above? If (like most of us) you lost touch with the field for a while, tell us the story! How did you get dragged back in?
Been cubing on and off since early 80s, although my fascination didn't kick in until about 1999/2000 and the collection about 2002

6) If you build puzzles, what have you built, and what are your current projects?
Have tried a few sticker mods and am planning on trying a Fisher Cube. Also will try making a black Keyboard Cube oneday (to go with the cracking one I bought from Adam)

7) How many puzzles are in your collection? Would you dare estimate how much it's worth?
I have 85 (so far) and at a rough guesstimate I would give a value of about £200 - £300 (going by average prices on eBay)

8) How would you define the "boundaries" of your collection? In other words, which types of puzzles do you collect, and which puzzles do you avoid?
Star. Mind you, my Face 4 (a fully packaged version of Instant Insanity released by Ideal in the 80s) may bring in a few pounds (dollars!!)

a ) As mentioned earlier my first 3x3x3 I bought myself! Smooth movements and minimal cube lock. Although if you do get a serious cuble lock, then about 6 or 8 cubies fly out in all directions!
b ) I do like my 3x3x3 from the above (sentimental reasons) but I've always thought the 4x4x4 looks really impressive when on display! Must get a 5x5x5 one day aswell!
c ) Ooops! Answered this to early! My origianl 3x3x3 again!
d ) The Skewb Ultimate is decievingly tricky (although simple) due to it's odd shape. Also the Square-1 and Bandaged cube are a bit of fun to! But as with all TwistyPuzzles, after a while you get used to them and solve them quicker and easier!
e ) My PetCube >> My first mod with "stickers" of all my pets on it!

I like a my Metal music, webdesign/internet, reading, most thing computery and yo-yos (although I'm not that good at them!), Almost forgot reading other posts I like Godzilla films. A great site for those interested is http://www.gojistomp.org

Not a lot really. Although I do run a publishing company http://www.crystalserenades.co.uk which has a haunted weekend coming up soon if any UK people (or anywhere else in the World for that matter!) are interested. Details at http://craigynos.crystalserenades.co.uk

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2004 6:59 am 

I'm a 36 years old network engineer. I am using my wife's eBay ID: khaendel

I would like to build own puzzles but I don't have the room and time for it. So I'm collecting them and of course I play with them.

I started with one of the first cubes available, it took me months to solve it first time. When I have bought it I thought it was a take apart puzzle and when I unwrapped it I was quite disappointed. Well, I think that was a mistake... I played and collected them for about 2 years then 22 years later (in the beginning of 2003) I started collecting them again.

I don't build any puzzles.

I own about 120 puzzles. I have no idea how much the collection is worth cause I tend to pay too much on eBay.

I collect all 3d puzzles but take apart puzzles and advertisement puzzles. I don't have many custom puzzles because they are just too hard to get.

My first 3x3x3. I wouldn't trade it for anything.

8 ) Which one would currently have the most monetary value on eBay?
In my collection the Dogic. All in all I think the Rubik's silver cube would get the highest price.

a) The Megaminx
b) The Dogic
c) The Astrolabacus
d) Again the Dogic
e) The 3x3x3. It's brilliant!

Lots... First of all my wife then movies, travelling, computing...

Not really. I am German and there will be a German cube day soon (24th April) and I will be there :wink:
One missing question is here: What puzzle are you looking for at the moment? I am looking for an Octahedron, a Rubik's Domino and a Deluxe Cube. If someone here has one for trade or sell, please let me know :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2004 7:24 am 

1) My name is Vadim Grishin, I am 34, Voice Analyst working within WAN team, converging our traditional telephony into Cisco IP, live in Nottingham, UK, Russian national, but British citizen. Bidding as nottsguy on ebay.

2) I mainly collect, htough build and solve if I have spare time.

3) I saw the cube on TV in the early 80's, but could not get hold of one for years as they were extremely rare on sale in Soviet Union. My cousin finelly got me one as a present: original used one which did not turn very well at all, so I was always wondering:"How on Earth do they solve them under a minute if you can't even turn the *** thing!". I moved in to UK in 1992 and came across the Skewb, Megaminx, etc. which I've never seen before. Though when I got myself a computer in 97 or 98 and saw the variety of twistys there, the fever started again.

4) I built ballcube, cube-in-ball, Keyboerd cubes (standard, black and bandaged), Octagon-1, 8 colour Revenge, Star prism, Starburst, Okki, Mushroom, Rhombic shaped 3x3x3 extended, and few others.

5) I have about 145 unique ones, but like Ton I am not going to sell my collection.

6) Like Ton I collect 3D twistys + 2D permutations. I do not collect Burr, metal os sliding ones (unless the latter closely relate to twistys). I don't mind some sticker variation. They have to be interesting ones though, like Mark Longridges ones etc.

7) My Russian tiled pyraminx was the first proper twisty I ever bought myself, so it's quite special.

8) My "Mental block" should be worth something on ebay, though there's always "magic octahedron" as well.

9) "Mental block" is the overall favourite, though I get really cross with it when trying to solve.

10) Computing, music (Please don't ask me what sort... you really don't want to know, honestly. Aleksey might recognise a few names, though), films etc.

11) I have 2 boys (4 & 7 yrs old). My wife and I won a VIP Champagne trip on Eurostar to Brussels few years back. I am considered to have a very unusual hobby among our friends: it's the same one you lot have!

Vadim

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2004 1:27 pm 

Hi all here is all of my information

My name is Adam Zamora and I am 26. I live in San Diego, CA. I work for the Navy fixing computer for their liberty recreation centers. my ebay name is mistizo858.

My main interest is speedsolving, collecting, and building. i like to make things that i havent seen before.

I have only been collecting from October of 2003. My coworker brought in a cube and was able to solve it and never showed me how so i was determined to get one and solve it. thats how it all started

i have built a star prism, keyboard cube, siemese cube, 3-4 different fused cubes, white grey black cubes, extended 3x3x4 extended 3x3x5, a 3x3x3x9 cube, twisted rubenking, 9 color bands cube, turnbull tartan, triangle tartan, pyraminx tartan, master tartan. (sorry Chris for the cracking Keyboard cube, I do try to put alot of effert into my building)

i have about 75-80 puzzles, worth = priceless or a few hundred dollars? you choose

i try to collect mainly twisting puzzles, but i like anything that can pose a challenge for me.

Of course my first 3x3x3. i gave it a make over with new vinal stickers so it didn't look so flaky. i like it because i can draw attention to myself in a crowd by just solving it. it seems everyone know what a cube is but has never seen someone solve it.

i think that the star prism woulod go for alot but would not sell it. it was my first actual mod. or the rare PYRAMIX notice no N. Domino, Brass cube or Tiled Deluxe.

a) 3x3x3
b)domino
c)5x5x5
d)square 1
e)

I like to ride my bike(freestyle), play game( board and video), listen to music and go to movies, concerts, art exibits, museums.

Im just another person in a crowd. but i know how to do this :scrambled: to :solved: 8)

Last edited by Adam Zamora on Sat Mar 18, 2006 7:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject: Re: Who's who
PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2004 10:55 pm 

Here are the questions that I have the answers below.

1. 29 on March the 19, New Ulm Minnesota, Packaging and googoloctaplex

2. Just collecting. I wish I could build sort of.

3. In the 80's sometime off and on again until 1999 thats when I bought a lot of puzzles through an online store the not there anymore. After that I think the (rubiks)bug has got me real bad. I need puzzles and love them to!!!

4. Nope I don't build would like to though.

5. Near close to 200 or more I think I don't know right off hand. I'll add my collection in March some time. Worth I think at least $4800.00!!! I think!!!!

6. Puzzles I do collect are rubiks type twisty, take apart and put together, Metal ones (tarven) and interlocking puzzles. I don't do Japanese boxes or jigsaws.

7. Dogic and Fisher puzzles because it is so complex, exspensive and the most sought after puzzle.

8. Any Fishers puzzle or the Dogic.

9. A. Rubiks mini
B. Dogic and Astrolabacus
C. Astrolabacus
D. Dogic
E. none at the moment

10. Monopolies board games, lamps, playing cards, swords and knives.

11. :cry: I was in a car accident on July 18, 1976. :cry: If you want more details e-mail me privately please. I don't want to depress anybody.

Last edited by Darren Grewe on Thu Mar 20, 2008 5:19 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2004 2:29 am 

31, Oakland, Maintenance, skeneegee

2) Is your main twisty puzzles interest solving, collecting, building, or something else?
all of the above

3) How long have you been doing the above?
solving since 2001, collecting a couple of years, I've recently started building

Tetraminx, 5-color Alexanders Star, Evil Twin, Starburst, Gem. currently working on a Master Pyramorphix and a couple of other secrets...

50 something so far maybe a couple hundred bucks

I collect puzzles that don't come apart.

last years speedcube, my first year competing. I got 82nd place in the world in 2004!

probably Evil Twin or chromed rubiks cube

a) Rubik's Cube
b) Megaminx (12 color)
c) tuned speedcubes
d) Dogic "two hundred and what moving parts?!?!"
e) PyraMORPHix because I can solve it faster than you :wink:

Playing and watching basketball, Flash mx, bicycling, skateboarding.

My little baby girl is growing up too fast

Last edited by skeneegee on Mon Apr 11, 2005 12:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2004 7:39 pm 

Sandy wrote:

Almost 35, Washington DC area since 1996, originally from Russia, Unix kernel hacker, keshonok on Ebay

Sandy wrote:

Collecting, and learning on mechanisms. Eventually - building, but I haven't come to that just yet.

Sandy wrote:

I got my first cube around 1983, and then in the next few years I got a pyraminx, a snake, and a barrel, as well as a number of other puzzles. I did lost touch with the field for quite some time as many of you though, but only in terms of collecting. I kept up with the fields by cutting out relevant articles on the twisty puzzles, and getting few books. I found the cube lovers list when I came to the US, and then I found the forum around 2001, though I never posted to the former, and did not start posting to the latter until about 2002, I guess. So, in a way, I'd been always looking, and it's not really that I "jumped back in". :)

Sandy wrote:

I am just experimenting, and haven't built anything yet.

Sandy wrote:

Believe it or not, I never really counted. I would estimate it to be about 150 different puzzles, maybe more. And I would rather not think about how much it's worth.

Sandy wrote:

I collect twisty puzzles. I generally don't collect take apart kind of puzzles, or wire puzzles, etc. However I have a few of the kind, the ones that I found interesting.

Sandy wrote:

I still have my first Rubik's Cube in very good condition in a box! That's only because it were all next cubes that were destroyed due to my curiosity, and playing! I also was real happy when I found my first snake, pyraminx, and barrel. I've lost everything else from those early ears.

Sandy wrote:

I have no idea. Dogic? In fact, I don't think I really care much.

Sandy wrote:

5x5x5; dogic; astrolabacus; megaminx ? ; skewb;

Sandy wrote:

Hard SciFi (no fantasy), movies, unix.

Sandy wrote:

I have no idea. I am pretty much regular.[/quote]

PostPosted: Sun Feb 29, 2004 10:26 pm 

27, IL (USA), Software Developer, eBay ID=gtregay (go figure)

Alright, should I be ashamed of myself for being a member of this forum and not really having any interest in building or collecting? I'm a speedcubist, plain and simple. Though I wouldn't mind having some more puzzles to solve, of course. And I have to admit, I am amazed at the puzzle builders' abilities and the collectors collections :-D

First learned to solve the cube in college. After probably about a year I got to the point that I wasn't improving. I put it down for a year or so, but then decided to pick it up again - it was pretty disappointing how bad I was, but a coworker got interested, and competition ensued. That got me back in the groove, and pulled me down under a minute. I've been stuck ever since.

Not much of a collection, as a cubist. I have maybe 20-25 twisty puzzles, mostly cubes of various sizes. If I were to include disentanglement puzzles, I'm not sure how high that number would go. I probably have another 30-50 packed away somewhere.

Worth? Nothing special, aside from my 2003 WC prize cube. If I were to say it in replacement value, probably around $300 and a lot of re-breaking in.

I "collect" puzzles I want to have to solve. At this point, I'd love to have a tiled pyraminx, skewb puzzles (cube, diamond, ultimate), and a pyramorphinx. I'd also love a master/prof megaminx and a 6x6x6 cube (as I've seen has been made), but don't anticipate either happening any time soon.

Sentimental? Megaminx I guess - it's my favorite to solve and it's been with me through a lot. :P I just got a second one that I plan to paint a 6-color version (to supplement the existing 12-color tiled one).

Probably the WC2003 prize cube, but I suppose if I auctioned off my winning megaminx, that might go for a pretty penny ;-)

Solving and complexity - Megaminx (of course), though I may have to say 6x6x6 for complexity if I can ever get one
Appearance and feel - My main 3x3x3 cube. Nicely painted in nail polish, though I hope to do better next time I need to start a new 3x3x3
Other - Megaminx... Can you tell my interests are kinda focused?

Computer programming, rollerblading, rock climbing, though I don't do much of anything except programming and cubing

For now, I hold the official Megaminx world record at 2 minutes, 12 seconds. I have made some somewhat serious plans to create a distributed, shared effort solver to attempt to delve more deeply into the cube space. Time and good ideas are currently lacking, though.

- Grant

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2004 10:52 pm 

I'm 15 years old in 10th grade. I live in Orlando, Florida USA, and my ebay ID is Cubemaster55

My main Rubik's cube interest usually changes around from time to time. One week I'm building puzzles; the next week, I'm trying to improve my speedcubing time (around 30 seconds). I'm pretty much always collecting puzzles.

I can always remember having a rubik's cube lying around the house. The onlly way I could solve it was by taking it apart. So I found the book "conquer the cube in 45 seconds', memorized it and my interests grew from there.

my constructions, in close to this order:
Siamese cube, 3x3x5 extended, fused cube, Siamese in shape of X(still trying to find the picture), ball in cube, cube in ball, starburst, gem, half-truncated cube, 2x2x4, crystal cube, octaminx, keyboard cube

current projects: mental block, electric cube

Maybe around 110 puzzles. I have no estimate.

I collect mostly twisty type puzzles, but I also have some non-rubik's mind games. I'm interested in puzzles that challenge my mind.

I'd have to say the 3x3x3. This is the one that started it all, and I just love the way it feels in my hands

Dogic

a) 3x3x3 cube
b) dogic
c) 3x3x3
d) dogic
e) most challenging: Square 1

Before I became hooked to the rubik's cube, I was interested in building balsa wood model planes.

I'm on my highschool tennis team, and I would run track if I could fit it into my schedule. I also play tennis, football (american), and basketball. I have a twin brother( not identical), but he has no interest for the rubik's cube.

So here's my interesting story:
A couple months ago I was invited to solve the rubik's cube at an Orlando Magic basketball game. They gave me 6 free tickets, so I was able to go with my friends. I was to solve it during a time out. It was sort of a race between how fast I could solve the cube, and how fast some other guy could shoot a certain amount of baskets. He kept shooting baskets from certain spots on the court, and he was to stop when I finished the cube. In a way, I was his stop clock. Unfortunately, I solved the cube with a dissapointing time somewhere close to a minute. I think the guy got two baskets. I'm still not too sure which of us won.
Since the game was on T.V, I was on the local news station for about 30 seconds and on ESPN for about 10 seconds. but they pretty much only filmed my hands.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2004 7:16 pm 

17, New York, Student, Sum1else on Ebay.
Next year will be attending Boston University with no major.

It used to be building, now its mostly reselling and collecting

About 3 year's id say

I've built whatever you can find on http://www.thepuzzlestore.com. Nothing that special, but some cool stuff. No current projects

Not many anymore, and its not worth much anymore. Most of it is the puzzles that i enjoy playing with, not the ones that are the most valuable.

Now, i only collect puzzles that i like to play with. if i dont play with it, i sell it.

Hmm... It has to be a fused cube i built. My first mod ever

Probably one of my 5x5x5's... Nothing special.
My collection used to include a Dogic, Three Dominoes, a Brass cube, and 2 Octahedron

A) Fused Cube. First one i figured out myself
B) Dogic
C) Rubik Studio 3x3
D) I love the technical complexity of the dogic

ehh... not really... my car is about it

Nope

Tyler
[removed from spambots]

Last edited by Tyler on Tue Apr 12, 2011 9:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2004 6:12 pm 

Quote:

37 years old from Leicester in the UK. I am a Deputy Head Teacher in a Primary School and my ebay ID is iamasmallfish
Quote:

My main interest is in collecting and solving puzzles but I am beginning to try and build a few simple mods.
Quote:

I first came across 'The Cube' in 1981 whilst staying in France as a 14 year old on an exchange. I was fascinated and picked up a magazine with a solution in French. I learnt this and amazed my friends back in the UK as all the sequences I followed I could only say in French!
I continued to pick up puzzles on and off over the years but have extended it significantly with the discovery of ebay!
Quote:

I would guess I have between 200 and 300. Value, like many here, is priceless to me!
Quote:

The vast majority are sequential movement types although other challenging puzzles do have a home in my collection. I also have a number of 'sticker variations' but only if the subject matter appeals to me.
Quote:

It would have to be my first and original 3x3 picked up in France.
Quote:

Probably my Blind-Mans' Domino
Quote:

a) 5x5 b) Skewb Diamond c) Astrolabacus d) Square-1
Quote:

I play rugby, mountain bike and cherish my MGB GT vintage sports car!
Quote:

All the children I teach have to put up with my fascination for the cube and in the last 14 years of teaching I have taught at least 20 children to complete it!

Post subject: Me!
PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2004 4:57 pm 

16, North Carolina, Greensboro
collecting, building, marriage eventually (ah! I've said too much!)
since Dec. 2003
None yet!
5 - 70$
I avoid anything without a kernel and twisty sides.
the good ol 3x3x3, i learned how to solve on it
I have NO idea
a) 3x3 b)5x5(tiled) c)4x4 (feels good and used like a college textbook), d)3x3
there are other hobbies?
Im fastly approaching sub 30 avg, on my way to sub 20. I have a decent under construction website. blah blah blah me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2004 3:31 pm 

38, Canada, Graphic Design.........that's a pretty broad stroke. I am self employed. My company designs signs and stripes(for vehicles). Sometimes plain, sometimes very flashy.

The main interest is play. I love a challenge that makes me think, even if the solution eludes me for years(i will never solve the billion barrel on my own!) I also enjoy seeing that "look", you know the one, in my children's eyes when they play with these puzzles.

I've been doing it since I was a small child. My oldest sister, 12 years my senior, had a few wooden puzzles that were an immediate hook for me. When the Rubik's Cube came out I was already an addict and collector. mind you, I don't collect on a level anywhere near Sandy!

I had a few goes at building. Tried the resin a few times, talked to Wayne about procedure, but all in all I could not put in the required time.

Probably 150 is close. I have no idea of its value.

Whatever intrigues me is what I collect. Mostly "twisty" type, but I have a handful of metal "wire" puzzles, and some puzzles that my children can call thier own.

I have 2. One is the Master Magic, something I had longed to play with over the years but could not afford(Ebay). I built it myself eventually, but Juozas gave me a set of original tiles for it. The other is my Magic Octahedron, it is custom built by Wayne. I know we traded for it, but what was my end of the deal? Maybe that Dogic? Anyway, they are sentimental because of friendships with people half a world away I have never physically met

A few days ago I would have said hands down, my Dogic. Now, hmmmmmm.... not so sure.

9) What is your favourite puzzle overall for:
a) solving -5x5x5
b) appearance -Dogic
c) feel -Master Magic
d) complexity - Billion Barrel
e) other reasons. -3x3x3 in an ED Smith Jar, I love the conversations about it.

A book junkie. I gave up reading when the kids came along, now I'm back with my Palm powered iQue and ebooks galore. I read whenever I have a spare moment. I also love tinkering with computers, building and fixing, Lord knows there's a lot of fixing with the Windows PC.

yes my son, long may yer big jib draw! :lol:
To those in the know, what I'm trying to say is that I hail from Newfoundland, we are a proud bunch us Newfies and I thought I'd share it with ya.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2004 1:39 am 

1) 26, Lafayette, IN. Computer Animator, Ebay ID: gogeta00

2) At first my obsession was speedcubing any and all puzzles as fast as I could. In recent times I have become a bit more interested in building and modifying puzzles.

3) When I was around 12 or 13 I bought my first rubiks cube and solved it in a weeks time. I was so proud of myself, completely ignorant to the fact that there were people out there who were able to solve it in far less than a minute. :P A little over a year ago I was trying to win my girlfriend's daughter a prize from the junk toy machine when I won a generic keychain 3x3x3. It rekindled my interest in trying to solve the 3x3x3 as fast as I could. After searching the internet for an efficient solution, I saw how much there was to play with and even more to collect and modify! I was drawn in to so many of the facets of twisty puzzles and here I am now.

4) I haven't built nearly as much as everyone else, but with each project I get more ambitious. I started with a siamese 3x3x3, then I built a 1x3x3, an extended 3x3x5, keyboard cube, 3x3x3 dice cube, Eight color revenge, siamese 4x4x4, Alexander's (okki) gem, Starburst, Stretch cube, half-truncated 2x2x2, half-truncated 3x3x3, and currently I am building a slim tower, a 2x2x4, and an original creation.

5) Right now only accounting for twisty-puzzles I have around 40 or so puzzles. I don't imagine my collection is worth all that much since I don't have any super rare puzzles.

6) I try to collect primarily twisty puzzles, as that is my main interest. I try to avoid non-twisty puzzles, but I am drawn to the challenge of pretty much any puzzle so I have a small collection of other various puzzles.

7) I suppose the one that should be the most sentimental would be that first cube I bought when I was younger, but Ive since taken the stickers off of it to use it for parts and to make it a variation. The one I would consider the most sentimental though would be the first cube I practiced speedcubing on and broke a minute. Just a plain old 3x3x3 with some really tattered stickers. :wink:

8) I suppose my studio cubes would be the most valuable. Those or my dogic remakes. Like I said, I don't have anything very rare or valuable.

9) a) solving - 5x5x5, b)appearance - Dogic, c)feel - Megaminx, d) complexity - square 1, e) other reasons - 3x3x3 because its a classic that never gets old :wink:

10) I had collected animation cels from popular japanese anime for several years, but I have since quit because it became far too expensive and I have bills to pay. I also love painting and drawing, as well as my field of computer animation.

11) I once shot a man just to watch him die.

Last edited by Sean on Fri May 20, 2005 2:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2004 5:55 pm 

Im Clayne Hawley, very few people know me as of now but those who do, or have seen me and you dont kno it then im mostly recognized as...could you have guessed?..the kid with the mohawk!

14. flower mound (dallas), TX, highschool student, parents have an ID that is used when i want to buy anything but i dont know it

i dont mind collecting puzzles but over anything else i like to speedsolve. building i have never tried but i wouldnt mind trying someday

i wasnt alive for the rubiks wave but my whole life i couldnt solve a rubiks cube yet never thought anything of it. As of May 2004 my friend gave me a broken/broken in rubiks keychain 3x3 that he found in his closet (what a friend!) which was without its keychain and the orange center piece. from there i wanted to learn to solve a 3x3, so i bought one from walmart the next day in which i jus found out it has an "arched center" which is what Mike G. told me. form there i learned a simple method which i got down in about a week making me completely proud of myself, but then i found out about...bum bum bum...the speedcubing world!...and my simple quote of "im just going to learn it then be done" was CRUSHED!!! and i had to get better and i still am..since i started i have gradually lowered my times from 1:45.xx to now (july 2004) a best time of 37.8 seconds unlucky and i plan on improving...*takes a deep breath and moves on*

nope, nothing

as of now my small collection is at 13 puzzles..(i think) 7 of which are different forms of the 3x3x3. as for price...sheesh...maybe i could sell everything on ebay for 30 bucks tops, but theres no way on earth that ill do that

i plan on sticking to the rubiks type puzzles although there is no boundary seeing i buy my stuff according to either desperately wanting it to solve or believing i can solve without any help...is that understandable..???

my 3x3x3 speedsolving cube, i love it but i admit it needs new stickers..

i have no idea teh values but i would guess either my brand new Rubiks Studio 3x3 that i bought from Ton at Caltech (thanks Ton) or my K-8, but thats just a guess..

A)3x3x3
B)k-8 ball
C)k-8 ball as well
D)4x4x4
E)Rubiks Studio 3x3...idk i jus feel proud of it..

my music, as much as i want to say its all about puzzles, my life revolves around my music. i.e. i would pick a concert to see the casualties or
anti-flag and mosh over getting a new puzzle or anyhting of the sort ( i know what your thinking...im ashamed)

nothing really but i hate smart-asses that think theyre better than everyone especially when theyre uneducated and immature or at least MORE uneducated or MORE immature than i am. hmm does that count as interesting??!

as far as religion goes.. i dont have one..well..im supposed to be catholic as far as my families cares to know, but i dont follow any of it, i guess thats all i have to say on that matter.

pb 22.19
pb avg
27.61 = 26.74, 26.69, 26.98, 23.16, 26.14, 24.63, 23.71, (22.19), 30.41, (35.42), 34.97, 32.69

Last edited by Clayne H. on Sun Aug 08, 2004 8:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2004 7:22 pm 

1) I am 33 years old, I live in a small suburb to the south of Sydney in Australia. I am a Web Developer/Programmer and I develop websites and backend solutions for corporate customers and government. My ebay ID is sausagejohnson.

2) My main interest in Rubik's type puzzles is developing unusual shaped puzzles, and using plastics to form the objects. I like to craft custom parts, mold and cast copies of pieces. I do like to trade and collect rare makes. I get a lot of pleasure from trading a built item and having the new owner extremely pleased with it.

3) Considering the plastic company said my first order was in August 2001, it must be three years now. I make puzzles in fits and starts. I take way too long to make anything, and have a long list of people waiting for some items to be made.

4) I have developed my own 4x4x4 and 6x6x6 puzzles before seeing any other mechanisms. In the case of a 4x4x4, it was before the re-release. The 6x6x6 was built in a physical form but was too loose in the corners. Two others are coming out with a 6x6x6 so this was abandoned for other ideas. I have also made a few of Fishers designs like the Fisher's cube, but also some casted remakes: Christoph's Jewel, The Rubik's Domino, Magic Octahedron. Others include the Half Trunc and Rhombic dodecahedron. Current projects include a 1x2x3 and the pentultimate.

5) I have around 180 - 200 unique items, some rare bits and pieces and even some pre-production beta puzzles. I estimate the value around AUS$11,000 based on ebay values and the current going rates.

6) I like to collect anything Rubik's related especially different shapes. Sometimes, a few non-rubik items as long as they colourful and interesting. I don't like to collect too many different 3x3x3's as in sticker variations unless they have some sort of nostalgic value.

7) My most sentimental items are my childhood 3x3x3 cube and whippit.

8) The two most valueable items are probably the Dogic, or the Fisher's Golden Cube.

9) a) My favourite puzzle for solving is my Oddzon cube with vinyl stickers from an old cube. b) My favourite appearance is the Golden Cube c) my favourite feel is my smooth Oddzon Cube d) My most complex puzzle is the Golden Cube

10) My other hobbies include drumming and hand percussion, breeding tropical fish, 3D modelling and animation, video production, and linux.

11) I am married to a fantastic woman, Michelle. I'd like to eventually get out of Sydney (soul destroying) and move to the country, set up a small workshop and maybe do some farming. Maybe have a B & B, who knows at this stage. I am a committed Christian.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2004 7:09 pm 

born 1969 (do the math) mechanical eng. pinkxx on ebay

I love collecting different shapes (and building them too!) I'm really a big fan of actually PLAYING with the puzzles too!

Well like many here I got my first cube in 1980. Got a few more goodies over the years but I guess ebay was what 'got me back into it"

The usuals, Fisher's, Domino, diff truncations, sticker variants, Siamese types, and some that only a few know about. Currently I'm working on the "Master iece Set" project.... search the Gen Forum for more details...

I've got well over 60 twisty's and growing every day (well week at least...) No idea how much my meager collection is worth... Don't really care, I'll never part with them...

I'm a twisty kinda guy... sliders are too boring, wire puzzles too wirey, jigsaws are too likely to have a lost piece after a while...

My old battered orig 1980 3x3x3.... c'mon, you gotta ask why it's my fav?

apparently my Dogic.... although I got it for $35 US. I guess some of my customs might fetch a few $$ but not until I make extras

Solving: Square-1
Appearance: Dogic or Alexander's Star
Feel: Pyraminx
Complexity: hmmmmm...
Other: Pyramorphix

NO! LOL, I Homebrew, Cook, play music, love the outdoors, play darts on a league team...

Yeah, this growth on my side... anybody want some?.... :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2004 2:21 pm 

My name is Eric Smith, 17 years old, I live in North Carolina as a high school student, and my (mom's) ebay ID is a secret (I don't know if she would want it public)
All of the above, I guess you could say. I have started to collect puzzles recently and have a project (year old or so) of building a wooden cube. I also hope to get some of that magic putty and start building other mods. I originally started off trying to be able to s[eed solve the 3x3x3, and progressed into solving every kind of puzzle, and now I don't even know what I do.
I was on a school trip in 10th grade (about 2 years ago), and one of my friends brought a cube along. I wanted to be able to solve it, because he figured it out.
Wooden cube
About 60. Possibly $300, maybe more with a wooden cube
I don't like to collect picture cubes, but I try to collect all other kinds.
I have old 3x3x3 which was my late grandfather's cube.
No idea, but when wooden cube is complete it would get a bunch of money.
a. All of them. b. I like the Sonic ball. c. Skewb d. 5x5x5 cube e. 3x3x3 I guess for all other reasons
I play chess, scrabble, I can do origami, I play French Horn
I am 6'7? I don't know

Post subject: Open [QuadricodeBio.txt]
PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2004 1:54 pm 

14.5; Minnesota, USA; Student; No ebaying

Solving, Collecting

Story: So one day (13 yr old) I was in Target, and I was in the toys section. And I saw the Rubiks Cube, and decided to buy one. I bought one and messed around with it. about .25 years later i was pretty cube educated, but couldnt solve it. I finally figured out my solution and started making it better. I wanted to mess around with other puzzles as well, so I started buying/picking up any 'rubik'-like puzzle i saw ;) .

None, well i did take a hack saw to an old 3x3, made it into an octagonal prism, kinda......

Not alot...Couple 3x3(2 knockoffs, 2 keychains, promo, shiny 3/4 inch one),4x4,5x5(both rubiks.com ones), square-1, shells, rubiks world, snake, homer hhead, puzzle pen

only ribik like....3d sequential only

My 3x3 speedcube...just awesome

um, my world maybe?

3x3 (of what i have) and 4x4

Mathematics, Reading, simple computer programming, collecting wallpapers for my computer (:)), and other stuff. You really would have to talk to me.

I learned the basics of calculus in 1.5 weeks on my own, and i usually dont do homework, making me *look* st00pid ;)

G3(spark): '99 - '03
G4(blossom): '04 - mid '07
G5(degradation): mid '07 - present (aka: youtube generation)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2004 3:34 am 

I am a 25 year old german an currently living in Rostock (at the Baltic Sea) and studying computational engineering. My EbayID is entor_perdia. And my real name is Andreas Nortmann.

First its was solving. I am proud to find a solution to the bandaged Cube by myself. After discovering Ebay it turned into collecting and now (after I got most interesting things from there) it turned into building. I never went into speedsolving.

I started with an Oktagon in 1995. I never lost touch but it became a real hobby in 2001.

Fisher Cube, Star Cube, Skewed Cube, Case Cube ... Look at my member collection. I built all variants that can not be bought at Ebay.
Additionally: twenty variants auf bandaged Cubes (by simply gluing several pieces together) which are not included in the database yet.
Current project: A complete analysis of the cube to find out all possible (and different) variants of bandaged Cubes.

Currently there are ca. 200 different puzzles, including the items which are not in the database. I don't want to count the spare cubes...
Its not worth enough because I am still missing Rubiks Maze, Dogic and Dino Cube.

I avoid picture Variants and solution books. I collected flat slide puzzles for a while but stopped it after I missed an auction with 50 different items in it.

My Extended 3x3x5. The first mod I built.

That would be my Rubiks Domino or my Logivip.

a) The standardCube because its the only one I can solve in under 5 minutes
b) Trajbers Octahedron
c) Megaminx
d) Bandaged Cube
e) the Rotos I found at a flea market for one Euro.

No special hobbies beside the cube and my study! I was a fan of Pen-and-paper RPGs but that stopped two years ago.

I am now living less than 50 km away from Hendrik Haaks home, but since I don't own a car it could be 5000 km.

Last edited by Andreas Nortmann on Mon Sep 27, 2004 12:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2004 6:38 pm 

28, Bellevue, WA, reluctant entrepeneur, bitconjurer

Solving and designing, although all my designing has to eventually lead to building. I also collect, in order to have puzzles to solve and examples of mechanisms to inspire my own designs.

I've been designing since high school, but didn't get seriously into it until I think about two years ago when I found this forum via web searching.

I figured out how to solve the Rubik's Cube in junior high after a few months of fiddling with it instead of paying attention during class. My solution was a horribly slow one which involved doing the first two layers normally and then solving the last layer using my sequence for solving the second layer, with a whole slew of special cases. In about '99 I decided that that solution was completely lame and spent a few days coming up with one which didn't suck. Also around then I ordered a 5x5x5 and skewb from mefferts, and figured out solutions fro those too.

I haven't built any, but have designs for a whole slew of interesting things, including a working mechanism for the pentultimate, and a puzzle which can move both like a 2x2x2 and a skewb, which I call the 'skewbik'. Lots of other interesting mechanisms which are too novel to explain in more than a few words.

Unfortunately most of my designs are so ambitious that they require making a whole new puzzle from scratch, without using the core of a current commercial puzzle.

Probably between ten and twenty different twisty mechanisms, including some of the more obscure ones, like the gerdig ufo, roundy, rotos, and astrolabacus. The whole collection would probably be worth a few hundred bucks if it were to be sold one puzzle at a time at auction. The value of twisty puzzles doesn't add up to much compared to more traditional collectibles.

I have a whole bunch of different kinds of puzzles, but I'm mostly enamored of twisty puzzles. I'm not terribly into take apart puzzles and mazes, because I don't find their solutions to be 'insightful'. Topological take-apart puzzles, like uncle's puzzles and old tavern puzzles, do seem to have insightful solutions, at least the one's I've worked out, but they just aren't my thing. Maybe it's because they're usually harder to put back together than to take apart, a property which twisty puzzles cleverly avoid by using the direction of entropy.

Probably the astrolabacus, because I actually went through significant effort to find the inventor and order some. I hope those get mass-marketed some day.

Probably the roundy, but I don't remember prices very well, and haven't been actively following ebay because my collection is so close to complete.

rubik's cube, skewb ultimate, rubik's cube, crossteaser, astrolabacus

I raise my kids, juggle, exercise, think about wheeled gizmos, do recreational math, and occasionally dabble in programming.

A lot of you may have heard of me from another context. I come here to get away from that, so please don't bring it up.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2004 1:09 pm 

My name is Dror Vomberg and this is my replay:

1) I am 21 y.o. living in Israel and currently studing math at the Tel Aviv university.

2) I am mainly interested in solving but I also have a small collection and I have build a few puzzles (thou not from plastic).

3) I was playing with the Rubik's cube ever since I know myself but I got into that again about two years ago when I saw that there is a world championship. The building and collecting I only started this year.

4) I have build a fully functional rubik's cube out of paper! and I am currently trying to design a rubik's domino from paper.

5) About 20-30 items, and I don't know their worth.

6) I collect sequental movement's puzzles.

7) I have the Rubik's canada cube that I won on the world championship, so I think this is my most valuable and favourite cube.

8) The same.

9) My favourite is the normal 3x3x3 for all the categories.

10) I also sculpture in paper and some other meterials.

11) I am the world and European champion in solving the Rubik's cube and the Rubik's revenge blindfold.

Have fun,
Dror Vomberg

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2004 4:48 am 

21, Finland (Turku), student, no eBay ID yet

My interest for the moment is mostly solving

Me and a friend of mine had a cup of coffee in May 2004 and happened to see an article of Hungary and a picture of a Rubik´s Cube. We started to wonder if we could solve one and later that same day I found an old cube that had been around the house for ages.

Well for the moment my "collection" consists of one 3x3x3 Ideal UK -81 cube, a Oddzone 2000 4x4x4 and some very cheep toylike horrorcopy of a 3x3x3. Worth nothing.

Well I´m just starting but I am mostly interested in puzzles like the rubiks cube.

It would have to be the 3x3x3 because it´s my first and the one that got me in to the world of puzzlesolving.

I don´t know actually.

solving

Seascouting, snowboarding, tennis, computers, badminton (don´t know if its the english name for the sport), sailing

Hmmm... not really. I study computerscience in Uni and live with my girlfriend.
:solved:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2004 7:39 am 

34 , Meudon-Bellevue (France), developper in imaging fields.

2) Is your main twisty puzzles interest solving,
collecting, building, or something else?
Solving and building.

I get back in during a moving to a new home ( looking into my old stuffs)

I have built a 7x7x7. Now I am working on a 6x6x6, and a difficult one ( like a square 1 but with more freedom in 3d), i hope i will finish them this summer

Not a lot, mabe 20.

I like the differents mecanism ( I do not collect many sample of the same cube).

A Krell 5x5x5, because its works very well and it is nice to do.

I don't know, perhaps a mod ?

9) What is your favourite puzzle overall for: a) solving
A square1 because it is nice to try to find a solution by yourself for this one.

b) appearance
a megaminx

c) feel
a Krell 5x5x5

d) complexity
a square1

e) other reasons.

Astronomy and imaging, software developping, science...( Too many, I don't have time !)

I don't know .

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2004 1:00 am 

I'm 35, and living in Tokushima (Japan). and my eBay ID is takejihxp2.

2) Is your main twisty puzzles interest solving,
collecting, building, or something else?
Building and collecting. And a little solving.

I got a imitation of Rubik's cube in 1980 for the first time. Cause the real Rubik's cube is out of stock in those days.
I play it in lesson when I was grade school, and I was found there by my theacher, then I was scolded hard with my parent from him. Of course, I was scolded hard from my parent afterwards.

I made some puzzles.
Existed puzzles are Bandage, Octagon, Shiamese, Diamond-Dodecahedron, and Domino cube.
Original cubes are Stair, Quadruplets, Brick, Zock, Bump, Another-Grown cube, and Diving Dodecahedron.

I didn't count them, but 80 or thereabout.

I'm collecting puzzles fill the following requirements,
i)state was changed by some rotation or slide
ii)finish is colorful and beautiful
iii)unusual shape

Of course, my first is 3x3x3 but immitation cube. Some stickers are peeled, and very durty, but I'm interesting to puzzle by it.

Fisher's Golden cube.

a)Okamoto's Grown Tower
b)Okamot's Mega Crystal
c)Bump cube
d)Okamoto's Dino octa
e)Stair cube (My first original cube)

Watch some Japanimation, make a plastic model (almost GUNDAM series), TV games, and PACHINKO.

Now, plastic model became so beautiful and complexity. Its feeling likes puzzles.

Last edited by Hidetoshi on Tue Feb 06, 2007 12:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2004 6:30 pm 

I'm 13, Arcadia, California, USA, student and tutor, don't ebay

All 3 of them :D

Well, I always had a cube since 1st grade, but never could solve it, except for once in 4th grade (no, this isn't another one of those OOH I solved those before)....then this year (Mid February), I had a class at school with Shotaro Macky Makisumi, and then I got interested and then he started teaching me how to cube. So it's been almost exactly 10 months from when I first started until now.

The ones that I have already built are: siamese, triamese, 3x3x5 extended, 3x3x4 extended, barrel cube, 3 color cube, and a bunch of other 3x3x3 variations with just a few adjustments. It's nothing much, I know, if I had the proper tools and the patience to make them, then I would probably make more interesting puzzles.

I have about 120 puzzles (including the doubles and the knockoff's), worth=priceless

I collect all kinds of puzzles, but it is hard for me to collect them since that I can't use ebay and I don't make much money from being a tutor (I'm 13).

I would say my favorite puzzle is my Rubik's Deluxe Game Cube since it looks and feels awesome :D.

For value, it would probably be silver cubes

Out of MY collection:
a)3x3x3
b)megaminx
c)Rubik's Deluxe Game Cube
d)5x5x5

Out of all the puzzles:
a)3x3x3
b)Golden Cube
c)Rubik's Domino (2x3x3)
d)from the looks of all puzzles, I would probably say the 7x7x7 that I was just built recently

yeah, basketball, full tackle football, punchbag team, athlete/workout team (Nike Crew), waterpolo, violin, viola, piano, a little bit guitar, breakdance, crip walk, blood walk, and chilling with friends

I'm me :D

*same site*

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2005 2:01 am 

21, Purdue University in West Lafayette IN, and I don't have an Ebay ID

Well, it started as solving, but now I'm collecting and building.

I started 6 years ago learning the petrus method, and kept on going from there.

Currently I'm working on making the gigaminx better.

1 Eastsheen 2x2x2,4 Rubik's 3x3x3,1 Rubik's 4x4x4
and 1 Rubik's 5x5x5 to name the twisty's
I've got a bunch of different ones though

Anything that I can say "Hey, Check this out!" is good for me. I just try to avoid puzzles with multiple seperate pieces (jigsaw, peg, or tangrams)

My dad and I made a 6 piece burr when I was about 6.
It still sets on my bureau

Gigaminx ... even though it's currently unstickered

a) 3x3x3
b) megaminx (I like showing off)
c) Caterpillar (chinese) lock
d) 5x5x5
e) Gigaminx (It's my first working build)

Origami, Pop up design, yoyo, Beatmania games, programming, Computer Animation, drumming, knitting, knotting, Adventure games, DND ... And I'm still looking for more :)

TBTTyler = Tau Beta Tambourine Tyler
Tau Beta because I'm a MALE SISTER in Tau Beta Sigma (the national band service sorority)
Tambourine because I'm a monster at thumb rolling on a tambourine
Tyler because it's my name

Last edited by TBTTyler on Sun Jun 18, 2006 6:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2005 8:15 pm 

28, Germany, computer science student, stefan_pochmann

Solving (both speed and blindfold) and collecting, though mostly puzzle I want to solve. I want to build, but don't have good tools yet. I do already spend lots of time on preparing my puzzles for speedsolving, though :-)

A few childhood years, not very seriously back then. I didn't have cubers around me (still don't) so I completely lost touch around 1992 I think. I returned 1-2 years ago because the cube appeared in a programming contest problem and the author told me about speedcubing websites.

None yet :-(

Maybe around 150, but containing lots of duplicates. Don't want to think about it's worth, but if you steal them I'll have to kill you. If you destroy them, I'll have to kill your family, too.

Twisty puzzles mainly. I don't like soma cube etc, that's just boring. There are of course more interesting/tricky take-aparts but in general they get boring once you know the solution (soma cube gets boring even before that, right from the start). What really drives me is the competition, learning/inventing techniques and a bit theory.

My old original 3x3. At first I didn't want to lubricate it (a year ago when I entered the speedcubing community and learned about these things) because I didn't want to harm it, but then I decided that every puzzle has the right to become a speedsolving puzzle and I respect my puzzles so I did lube it and together we proved that we're capable of fast times.

My Domino or my Meffert Dogic if I sell it cleverly.

a) Tiled Megaminx
b) Tiled Megaminx
c) Tiled Megaminx
d) Complexity? Of the puzzle or the solution? Dogic seems to have the most states but easy. Bandaged puzzles seem very hard but have less states. Hmm, I don't know what to say. Most puzzles are too easy to be called complex, so maybe I'll go for number of states. Hmm, I think I'll say my super 5x5 because I like that one very much anyway.
e) Magic and Clock because so few people do it seriously that it's easy to set world records.

Computer programming (contests), mathematics, music (I'd like to learn to play guitar but I can never find the time/motivation. Damn puzzles!)

I often get very emotional. Also, sometimes I have a lack of respect especially when I think something is funny.

12) What can we do for you?
I'm searching for a gorgeous rich intelligent young woman who falls in love with me so that I never have to work and can live a happy life with her and my puzzles. Oh, she should of course like puzzles as well. If this description fits you, please email me. Thank you.

Post subject: bio
PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2005 1:49 pm 

24, Scotland, returning to college soon (Professional Cookery), aphid_greene

solving & collecting + some building

I've been cubing for many years and decided to start collecting puzzles "full time" recently when my grandad died and left me his modest collection (including a 'kibble' cube, rubik's clock, and lots of wooden puzzles)

I've built a siamese cube (http://www.speedcubing.com/ton/fused.htm)
(can I use this link, Ton? ;) )
and a few other simple things like that (including a bandaged pyraminx, which was cool, and a conversion of a pyraminx to a tetraminx (embarrassingly easy)).
At the moment I'm tweaking a Studio cube for super-speedcubing (I'm taking Ton's suggestions to dizzying new heights of anal retentiveness!) and I'm also trying to work on a design for a fused pyraminx. Not sure if it's even possible, but what the heck!
Will also build a dodecagonal prism and a star prism at some point when I have the time.

Just over 100 so far (but some are duplicates, e.g: 4 pyraminxes, 3 Square 1s (see 'puzzle building' above)).
No. But definatley more than £300. Maybe. Hopefully!

I particularly like cube-type keychains and anything twisty (pretty much everything on Jaap's page). Also big into promo Rubik's cubes. I avoid dexterity puzzles usually.

Rubik's Studio cube. Because it's a Studio cube!

Rubik's Studio cube. Because it's a Studio cube!

a) You can't beat a good ol' 3x3x3 :)
b) Rubik's UFO (it looks like an alien spaceship! what more could you want?!) Mind you, a Rubik's World with it's stand looks nice.
c) A nicely tweaked speedcube (preferrably recently siliconed. Smoooooth!) or anything spherical
d) Megaminx or 5x5x5 cube. Maybe I'm just stupid but I can't do the Rubik's Magic for love or money!
e) Brain Twist: it's as close as you can get to a genuinely four-dimensional puzzle!

I play guitar, piano & drums; cycling & sometimes running/jogging; chess (I'm rubbish but I enjoy it); writing (sci-fi, comedy, rom-com, anything really); HTML programming (none of your namby-pamby Frontpage nonsense!); free-running; anime & manga; art & fashion design; collecting playing cards; Sandra Bullock films (I even almost like Speed 2!); cooking; and skateboarding (yes, really!). It's a mixed bag, but I'll never be bored. Ever. EVER!

What, and risk arrest? No chance! Only joking, folks!
I'm a completionist. I won't consider my puzzle collection finished until I have ALL of 'em! (including a '95 LimEd silver cube http://www.speedcubing.com/random/10.jpg). My plans for world domination will resume after then.
Did I mention I'm slightly obsessive, too?

Last edited by aphid_greene on Mon Jul 03, 2006 3:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2005 4:43 pm 

I'm a 47 year old mathematician. I had no interest in Rubik's Cube when it first came out. I scoffed at it as the latest fad and a silly toy. But then it dawned on me that it's a wonderful example of group theory, which I was studying at the time as an undergraduate at MIT. I applied group theory to derive a solution. This was very exciting because everyone was claiming that it was essentially impossible to solve. This helped me to develop a better understanding of commutators, conjugates, and other aspects of group theory. Later on, I obtained a Rubik's Revenge and was pleased by its greater mathematical complexity (including the concept of parity).

I was hoping that someone would manufacture a dodecahedron-based puzzle. I kept looking in the toy stores but never found one. I developed a solution but had no idea that that the Megaminx actually existed until finding one on eBay a few years ago. It was very exciting to hold that puzzle in my hands more than 20 years after dreaming of having one!

When the Professor Cube came out, my interest in puzzles was renewed and this led to my discovery of the Megaminx. Shortly before finding out about the Megaminx, I developed a code for simulating it and other puzzles (these are available on my web site fishcrow.com). I actually prefer puzzles on the computer because my main interest is in the mathematics rather than twisting faces (although it was a thrill to obtain a Megaminx). My favorite puzzle is the Magaminx. I would never part with the original model that I found in mint condition on eBay.

My other hobbies include bird watching and old sports videos. I love to visit the Amazon (hence my board name) and other exotic places such as Australia, Europe, and Asia to see the wonders of nature. Birds are fascinating as are the habitats in which they live and other animals, insects, plants, and of course people. I have been collecting video tapes of sports events since getting my first VCR in 1986. A few years ago, I discovered on the web that many others are interested in this hobby, which is basically a grass roots effort to preserve old sports broadcasts on DVD. The networks were negligent in preserving them. They taped over most sports events from the 60s and 70s, even major historic events such as the first two Super Bowls. They began archiving in the late 70s but seem to have done a poor job of it. It is a shame that so much money goes into producing each game and yet the networks didn't consider it worthwhile to spend a few dollars on the video tape to preserve them.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2005 10:25 am 

I am Joël van Noort, I am 20 years old, I am a student from the Netherlands. I study mathmatics at the universtity of Leiden (that's also where I live, during the week).

My main interest is speedsolving, but I also have a small collection of puzzles.

I have been into speedcubing since december 2003. That's about 1 year and 4 months ago.

I don't build puzzles myself.

Not that many. I have about five 3x3 cubes, two 4x4 cubes, two 5x5, two megaminxes, a square-1, a 2x2 and.. eh, on of those weird Babylon Towers. Oh, and 3 key chain 3x3's :).

I collect Rubik's cubes :). I don't think I have ever avoided a puzzle...

Maybe my very first 3x3 cube.... It pops all the time, but I still enjoy solving it.

Hmm.. I am not sure.. Probably my Rubiks.com 5x5.

a) 3x3
b) 3x3. Although I must say, megaminx looks really cool.. You have got a point there, Stefan ;).
c) 3x3
d) Hmm... The megaminx looks pretty complex.. The 5x5 is pretty complex.

I LOVE inline skating.. I do it all the time :).

Hmm... Maybe some people are interested in my website: http://www.solvethecube.co.uk

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2005 5:04 pm 

Hi, I am Bernardo Abrego, 31 years old. I am a College Professor teaching Mathematics at Cal. State Northridge in California (Third mathematician in a row, What are the odds?). I go by ber98 in ebay.

My main interest is solving, but not speed, rather minimum number of moves. I have a modest collection and I just recently started to be interested in building.

I first solved the cube as a 10 year old. Then I forgot about it for years, and got dragged back because of the pedagogical properties of the puzzles, not only to group theory, but as a way to motivate problem solving skills in my students

I have only built simple things, like siamese and fused cubes. But I have many ideas and I want to learn the technical aspects of puzzle building.

I have about 22 different puzzles and more than 40 3x3x3 cubes that I use for audience-participation talks

I am interested in different shapes, I do not care for sticker variations unless they bring a different complication to the puzzle

The 3x3x3 of course!

I don't know, Square 1 in original mint package, or perhaps my Dogic.

a) 4x4x4
b) Megaminx
c) 3x3x3
d) 5x5x5 and Square 1

Problem solving, chess, go, mountain biking, swimming.

My specialty in Mathematics is Combinatorial Geometry, so I guess I can say that puzzling is actually part of my subject of study. I just became a father of twins, boy and girl, 5 monts ago (My little girl loves to see me play with the puzzles). And I almost forget, my wife is also a mathematician and puzzle enthusiast.

Post subject: About Me (Bob Burton)
PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2005 9:42 pm 

I'm Bob Burton. I'm 20 years old, a student in New Jersey, USA at Rutgers University. My eBay ID is cubewhiz.
I like solving mostly, but I love getting new puzzles to solve those, too. :)
I have been solving the Rubik's cube since sophomore year in high school, when I was 16. I started to get really serious with it (and other puzzles) in early 2005.
I have not yet built any puzzles, but I love to start doing so...just wish I had a little bit more time and money!
I have dozens of puzzles, worth more to me than anything I could put a price on. I'd like to have much much more though :)
I guess my favorite is my first speedcube, which lasted about 3 1/2 years. I competed with it in the WC2003 and decided I want it framed (or bronzed!).
I think my Super Magic (Magic Balls)...they go for at least $50 on eBay--if you can find one!
a) 3x3x3 or magic
b1) solving appearance: 3x3x3 or magic
b2) puzzle appearance: megaminx
c) 3x3x3
d) megaminx/5x5x5
e) most addictive: magic
f) easiest: pyraminx/clock
I like to play baseball. I love mathematics and I row for the Rutgers Lightweight Crew team. I am very physically fit. I also enjoy running.
I like these faces: :evil: and :twisted:

Last edited by Bob on Wed Dec 31, 2008 2:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: About Me (Gustav Fredell)
PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2005 10:52 am 

23 years old, Studying Bioinformatics Engineering at Uppsala University, Sweden.
Solving primarily and some collecting.
Been into cubes (and later other puzzles) for two years now. A friend could solve it and I just had to learn how to do it.
Nothing built yet. A bit too lazy maybe.
Oh.. not that many. A few different cubes (10 or so) some different sizes of cubes and some other puzzles. Have no idea what the monetary value is.
I don't collect picture cubes and mostly collect puzzles similar to the Cube. Like the Megaminx, Pyraminx, Dogic and so on and not many puzzles like Rubik's Clock or Rubik's Magic
Not sure I have one yet. I'm switching cubes all the time.
A couple of MIB Studio Cubes signed by Mr. Rubik himself I would guess.
a) Rubik's 3x3x3
b) Rubik's 3x3x3
c) Rubik's 3x3x3
d) Rubik's 3x3x3 (Just about the right amount of complexity. Don't like puzles that take too long to solve)
e) Rubik's 2x2x2 is the runner up
Computers, Probability Theory, Statistics, Computer Games, Board Games, Singing, Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu and probably more
I can do the cube!! :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2005 6:45 pm 

My name is Chris Licciardi, my ebay ID is jellonugz I live in So Calif, I own a screenprinting shop and I'm 37.

Solving and Collecting

I was around during the original craze, and was the only kid in our Jr. High that could do the cube. Lost intrest along with the rest of the world.

This year I got a cube for Christmas. I then went puzzle crazy. :shock:

I've only built a couple of siamese cubes.

30-50. Not sure.

I haven't set the boundaries yet.

The original 3x3x3.

Probably my Tomy megaminx

a) 3x3x3
b) Hungarian Supernova
c) Ultimate Skewb
d) Square-1
e) 5x5x5 Supercube, cause I can't finish the centers yet. :cry:

Just work and family.

Not really, I found this site a while back and have yet to find any of the BS that is comon on these types of board. The comunity seems very open and friendly.

Chris Licciardi

Buy online at http://www.cubesmith.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2005 7:45 am 

I'm 19 years old and live in Bensheim. It's my last year of school. I hope to start at university next year to become an architect.
solving and collecting
I think I found interest in twisty puzzles in grade 4 (age of 10). I got the rubik's magic for christmas and just loved it. I never lost totally interest in puzzles, but surely it was less or more important to me, depending how many new puzzles I could find. Now, through eBay and the internet I found a lot more puzzles and spend a lot of time with them.
none
around 40 twisty puzzles and a lot more other kinds of puzzles (wooden, plastic or metal). not sure how much it's worth
no real boundaries. Right now I search only for twisty puzzles. I don't like as much as the other puzzles rubik's tangle and other card puzzles.
Right now Ultimate Skewb. I have it just one or two weeks and it's just a lot of fun solving it. I also liek the shape of it. It's not just a normal cube.
Rubik's Alexander's Star ?
a) 3x3x3
b)Alexander's Star
c) Ultimate Skewb
d)5x5x5
e) magic
I play volleyball in a team and I play the flute
not that I know of, but feel free to ask.

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2005 5:01 pm 

37, BC, Canada, phone based billing support for a large online services company (I won't mention which one, since as far as I know, I'm the only Tim working there, and they have a thing there about protecting employee privacy), eBay ID = ipu (among other things, it's the Hawaiian word for friendship).

For the past few years or so it's been solve, solve, solve, and nothing else. I just won my first auction on eBay in years a couple of days ago and I'm going to get back into that, as well as puzzle building. I was shocked when I took a look at my Create a Double Cube prototype and saw "Copyright 2000" printed on it, as does my Pocket Die (I was so sure it said 2001 on that one, but I just double checked it). I've been out of designing/building for way too long, and will be starting back up as soon as my order from Rubiks.com comes in.

Well, I started off with the mass craze back in 1980 when I got my first cube for a present. That one drove me absolutely insane. I never was able to develop a solution for that one myself, instead depending on Patrick Bossert's "You can do the cube". A friend of mine had a Pyraminx and Missing Link which I did manage to solve myself at the time. I also got a Rubik's Revenge as a birthday present a couple of years later, which I never managed to solve either, until I dug up a copy of William H. Mason's "Rubik's Revenge: The Simplest Solution" at a local library. The only other "twisty" puzzle I had at the time was the Billion Barrel, which I still can't solve to this day without using a guide. Then again, I haven't really put much effort in attempting to master the solution.
After that I kind of lost interest for a while as I already seemed to have "all there was" out there, including a couple of "funky shapes", being the octagon and the cube with shaved corners. Then a few years later I saw a commercial on TV, with Erno Rubik throwing down the gauntlet yet again... "I dare you... to link the rings!" My interest was rekindled again, asked for it, and got it, for Christmas that year. For a while, I didn't put it down, but eventually lost interest in the field as once again, "that's all there was". Of course, this was back before mass access to the internet, probably even before Archie and WAIS (anyone else remember them?), so even back then, I was probably WAY off base. For some reason the Rubik's Master Magic and Create a Cube weren't advertised around here, so I didn't even become aware of its existence until more than a decade after its initial release.
Interest waned once again, as my collection was "complete" and I was bored of what I already had. Interest was rekindled once again when I stumbled across a Square-1 at a local store back in 1991. At the time, I found it pretty insulting that it came with a hint booklet to get it from its starting shape back to a solved cube. I figued, "OK, turn it like this, and you've got 4 corners and 4 edges to a side, this layer is split into 2 pieces, but so long as I adapt for that, it should be as basic as Rubik's Cube". Wrong. I came across some more puzzles at other stores like Seeing is Believing and got what I could, learning to solve the puzzles myself. Square-1, of course, took the longest. I'm pretty sure I lost interest again as stores stopped stocking twistys except for the cliche Rubik's Cube variants.
The great awakening, of course, came when I got graphical access to the net and tossed "Rubik" into a search engine on a whim. That's when my eyes were truly opened to the amazing wealth of puzzles that were out there... 8, 12 and 20 sided, the Fisher Cube (I drooled over that one for a LONG time when someone sent me a textual rendition of one of the sides, and was saddened when I learned that only 125 were made at that time, meaning I'd probably never come across one that I could call my own), the Skewb, and web sites that actually sold them on line! The Skewb especially blew me away. Before then, if never occurred to me that it could be possible to make a cube shape that didn't do standard face/slice turns. These days, though... all I can say is "wow".
For a while there, I stayed pretty in tune with the Twisty world, and my interest peaked when I was still doing dialup Tech Support for MSN. One day, I brought in a Rubik's Cube and started solving it between calls. Other people on the floor noticed and became intrigued, and were blown away that I could actually solve it. Eventually I started working with them ON calls with the customers. In Tech Support, there's a lot of repetitiveness from one call to another, very little in the way of notes needed, and ridiculously high talk times needed compared to billing support, so there was plenty of "dead" time as, for example, yet another customer was taking 20 minutes to find the Start button in Windows. Really.
The managers really didn't seem to mind, even my direct supervisors, who seemed just as impressed as the rest of the staff. I started bringing in more variants, like the Pyraminx, Megaminx, even my generation 1 Dogic. They eventually started challenging me by mixing up my puzzles and bringing in their own scrambled puzzles for me to solve. Of course, I'd be able to solve them every time and my reputation spread far and wide throughout the department. I became known as the Rubik's guy who can't be stumped. I think one of the biggest boosts was when a supervisor came in with a nearly solved Kellogg's Star Wars puzzle head which he wanted me to solve. There were only 2 pieces left to go when he simply could not get. I was on a call when he handed it to me. Still listening to the customer, I looked at the puzzle, looked at him, gave him an "Oh please. You CAN'T be serious" look, solved it with 2 sequences in about 10 seconds and tossed it back to him, solved, to his absolute shocked and sputtering amazement. His eyes bulged out so far I'm surprised they didn't end up on the floor. :lol: He became one of my biggest fans, helping to spread my reputation far and wide. He even had people time me. Typical solving time was around 3 minutes or less, pretty sad and pathetic given solving times of people here, but enough to blow away everyone who saw it at work. It almost felt like I'd travelled back in time to the 80's again. Those were the days.
Eventually I got tired of teaching people how to find the start menu ( wow, and it only took you *35 minutes*! Congratulations, sir!) that I left MSN and moved over to telecom billing. Big mistake. Not only was the talk time severely reduced, but there were something like 17 tools which we needed to use, most of which didn't work, and instead of the nice, friendly work atmosphere in Tech Support, the billing department was run more like combination of a sweatshop and a cult. The management team there had NO respect whatsoever for people like me who were doing the grunt work, even with over 100 people on the phones we were frequently 300 people in the queue, and when we were on the phone we'd be expected to do impossibly huge loads of things with each caller in far too little time, we were insulted and demeaned at every oppotunity, and in fact I've even had a supervisor kick the back of my chair, twice for "lack of performance" (which, unless I'm mistaken, could be legally seen as a physical assault, and certainly an emotional shock when it happens unexpectedly). The glory days from Tech Support were over. With the change in attitudes between MSN and telecom, since there wasn't really all that much interest in twistys coming from work, or even the time to play with them, I eventually started to lose interest in them outside of work.
I checked out of there as soon as I could and switched to Internet billing. Although the attitudes on the new team were far more lax (sometimes I feel they'll let anything slide over here, short of murdering the general manager), the time frame for calls is even shorter than it was for the telecom department. Even so, it's far more manageable as they don't expect anywhere near as much (eg. even though the telecom was a "customer service/billing" related team, it was basically inbound telemarketing, while the Online Services billing team is actually set up to deal with billing issues. All sales go to other teams, or online). Except for a 2 month stint over in dialup to DSL conversions (big mistake), I've been in this team ever since.
Just recently, I've started bringing in some of my puzzles to work and people have once again started expressing an interest in them, especially when I show them some of the things I've made myself, so once again, here I am! :D Perhaps this time it'll be to stay, but only time will tell.

Puzzles I've built, in approximate chronological order, are recreations of the Bandaged and Siamese Cubes (mini versions), the Hybrid Cube (moves like a Pocket Cube, with the mix complexity of a Rubik's Cube), modified bandaged cube, Rubik's Hexahedron (based on the Pyramorphix), Star of David (different from the Stern/Starburst, also based on the Pyramorphix), Bubblegum Crisis Rubik's Master Magic (BTW, the "solved" picture in the gallery is off by 90 degrees. Priss should be lounging on her back on the back side), Macross Mini Magic, Transformers Magic Junior, Micro Magic Link the Rings, Master Magic with asian nudes, Master Magic Create a Double Cube and Rubik's Pocket Die.
As for current projects, I've found 2 other ways to Create a Double cube since the original one, one solution for which I came up with only this week. The more complex of the solutions I'm going to create a custom Escher style design. I'm not sure what I'm going to do for the other one yet. As for the twisty mods, I'm sorry, but for now, those are top secret. :wink:

Not sure. 70-80? 100? As for price, I can't really estimate that. How do you put a value on custom prototypes?

Definitely twisty puzzles exclusively. I like to take my puzzles on the road with me, so the take apart and put together ones really don't do it for me.

Probably the Bubblegum Crisis Rubik's Master Magic since it's the first puzzle that I truly designed and built from the ground up (OK, the tiles and wires were from pre-existing puzzles, but I think you know what I mean), followed closely by the Create a Double Cube (the first puzzle where even the tile design was created by me, instead of using a pre-existing design).

Probably my MOC, NRFC, Megaminx signed by Uwe Meffert himself.

a) I'm not sure if it's my favourite, but the one I seem to spend the most time solving these days is the standard cube.
b) Create a Double Cube.
c) Meffert's/Rubik's Revenge, Rubik's Master Magic.
d) Dogic.
e) BGC and Create a Double Cube Master Magics, for the reasons mentioned above.

I'm currently into the original Unreal Tournament game. I was blown away by it when a friend of mine showed it to me about 4 years ago on his Mac, and I swore that one day I'd get a copy of my own. My screen name there is Leaky Meat, after the minigun's death message (Player A's minigun turn Player B into a leaky piece of meat). I figured that when I started up I'd be so bad at it that I'd be turned into "leaky meat" all the time, so I chose that as sort of a self mocking name to start off my career, and then I'd change it to more fearsome and impressive names when my career went on. However, I started developing some online friendships and more and more people got to know me under the Leaky moniker that it just kind of stuck. I'm also running my own server online, Leaky Meat's Burger Barn, and am just about to complete my first level mod. All that's needed is one more texture to add to the level advertising my server, then it's done! :D

Not that I can think of right now. If I come up with anything, I'll let you know. L8r.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2005 3:07 pm 

1)
Age? Secret! (20-something, that's as much as I'll reveal!)
I live in Glasgow and London alternately.
Currently I am studying for a Accountancy/Economics BAcc at the University of Glasgow.
I do not have an Ebay account.
2)
I am primarily a solver.
3)
Cubing is quite a new hobby to me, the Fridrich method doubly so.
I would eventually like to become a speed solver. My current best time is 90 seconds, which I was considerably pleased with until I browsed some of the messages here!
4)
I'm afraid I don't have the patience to build puzzles! I greatly admire those of you who have made a hobby of it, though. Tony Fisher has made some incredible pieces. They are as much art as puzzles!
5)
Apart from a few Square-1s I picked up in the U.S. a few years ago, all I have is an Astrolabacus, a 4x4 cube and three rather old 3x3 cubes!
6)
I'm not a collector of anything, to be honest, though I do still have all of my childhood Barbie dolls! I suppose that could be considered a collection, if only because most of them have strong sentimental value...
7)
My original 3x3 cube, an Ideal 1981 UK edition, with box, given to me by my late Grandfather when I was about eight. I was fascinated by it for a while, but put it aside when I realised it was too difficult, until comparatively recently. It's old, it's worn, and it's creaky, but I love it.
8)
Probably the Astrolabacus, from what I've read.
9)
a) 3x3 cube
b) Square-1
c) Astrolabacus. As Jaap mentioned, it feels "organic", almost as if it's alive in your hands!
d) Square-1. Any puzzle that changes shape that much is just beyond me!
e) 3x3 cube. Even at 90 seconds I can still use it to impress non-cubers!
10)
My other hobbies include extreme sports (skydiving, snowboarding, mountain biking and occasionally bungee jumping and Zorbing), world travel, martial arts (tai kwon do and kick boxing) and chess. I also play the piano (classical).
11)
I have a ginger cat called Pickle and a white horse called Ginger! (well, off-white. He is actually an American Creme.)
Before I began my Acc/Econ course, I got a Biology BSc from St. Andrews University. If I'd have known Prince William was going to go there I would have stayed on for a post-grad! He's gorgeous!
My favourite food is strawberry cheesecake (though anything to do with strawberries gets the thumbs up!)
My favourite colour is red.
My favourite book is "Alice Through the Looking Glass".
My favourite films are "Thelma & Louise", "Donnie Darko" and more recently "Game Over: Kasparov and the Machine". I wonder if anyone will ever make a film about cubing?
My middle name is Persephone and my mother's middle name is Demeter! My father's middle name is not Zeus, before you ask.
I hate computers.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2005 11:19 am 

18, UK (Exeter during university term time and Gloucester otherwise), student, cloudhead99

Used to be solving and collecting but recently I have got into building as well.

I bought my first cube about 6-7 years ago and had a vague interest in the puzzle at the time. After that I collected puzzles that I could find easily and got a few for presents. Its only really since I hit 18 and could get a card that's accepted online that I've expanded my collection.
I haven't been building for very long - only about 10 weeks. So far I only have a few prototypes.

So far several fused and siamese cubes, a crystal 3x3x3 C4 and a 1x3x3 (with no stickers at the moment though). At the moment I am turning a siamese 6 into a 3x4x5 for my brother.

As my collection isn't with me at the moment (most of its in Gloucester while I'm at university) I'm not sure. Counting duplicates I'd guess at 50+

I collect strictly twistys although I do like wooden puzzles and have a small collection of 9 disassembaly puzzles.

My keyring 3x3x3. Absolutley rubish quality but it was the first puzzle I ever got - at the time I couldn't afford a full size 3x3x3.

No idea....I'm not selling any of them though!

9) What is your favourite puzzle overall for:
a) solving
3x3x3
b) appearance
3x3x3 though I like the geomaster masterball too
c) feel
3x3x3
d) complexity
5x5x5 - havent solved it so far :cry: and square one
e) other reasons.
Dogic

Recently no - my life has been taken up with revising for my uni exams. I love skiing and go whenever I can.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2005 3:49 pm 

1 1/2 years ago this post started along with the new twistypuzzle site. I have enjoyed getting to know a lot of the regulars to this site over the years. I never have liked the idea of sharing too much on a public forum, however, since I am a regular contributing member and this will be my 1000th post, I will share a little about me.

Early 30's, Washington State, Business, Owner, Most of you know my ID by now.

I have always enjoyed puzzles and assembling anything with my hands. My main interest is collecting, but I do enjoy playing with them. I do try and build a few items but nothing too fancy or complicated.

I have been seriously collecting twistypuzzles for the past 4-5 years. My wife had a small collection of Rubik's puzzles that contained 3 puzzles that I did not have that I found while cleaning the basement. It reminded me of the fact that I did not have a Revenge and wanted to see if I could find one. I was on Ebay frequently as my wife and I had another collection that we were always looking for additions to. I decided to type in Rubik and was amazed what was on Ebay. At that time, Revenge puzzles were selling for $100 each. Rubik's.com did not have them yet. More and more tiled puzzles kept showing up. Therefore, I did what I continue to do now. Found out where people are getting these puzzles to resell. I found Mefferts and my interest in twistypuzzles started to grow. (Ohh how I wish I would have bought the 2x2x2 looney tune puzzle heads when they were available). I then looked for solutions to these puzzles. This lead me to Jaap's puzzle page. I then tried to find the puzzles that Jaap had on his site since I knew I could solve them if I had a solution. Shortly around the same time I found Denny's Virtual Puzzle Museum. That is when my desire to collect Rubik type puzzles exploded.

I have built all the different bandaged 4x4x4 variations. I have made some extended 2x2x2 & 3x3x3 variations with and without dice.

Currently I have over 900 puzzles. PRICELESS I would never sell as my kids will enjoy the usable ones for years. I have several puzzles that are worth $100 or more, but even at $5-$10 each, well you can do the math.

If it is a twisty Rubik's type, sequential movement puzzle, then I am interested. I am not a big fan of all sticker variations but I do have a fair share of them if I find a good deal. I have tried to find new puzzles sealed in the original package and I have tried to find packages in many different languages. My boundaries keep expanding, but pretty much should stay with what I currently have now.

This is a tough one, I really don't have a cube that I am attached to. One that is a sentimental favorite was the first 3x3x3 ball that my parents got for me in the 80's. It was a medium size version which I hardly ever seen since. I also am attached to the original Dogic that I have. This was the first major puzzle search that I did that envolved international communication. These were nearly impossible to find and have been impossible since except for the ones Rubiks4sale has sold this past year. I was able to track down 5 of them for $30 each. I traded 1 for a Dino cube, and sold 3 for $900 which funded a good portion of my collection.

Probably Fisher's Golden Cube or Fishers 4x4x5 which is the most expensive puzzle I have paid for. I have many custom puzzles and rare originals that would fetch anywhere from $150-$400. Of course several years ago people were paying $500 for a Rubik's Rabbits. It is all timing and demand.

A)3x3x3
B)Dogic, Fisher's Golden Cube
C)Megaminx
D)5x5x5, Megaminx, and numerous others

I love the outdoors and many other sports. I enjoy Golf, Snow Skiing, Water Skiing, Basketball, Fishing in Alaska, and Traveling to relaxing places with my family

I think I have covered all I care to share. 8-)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2005 6:41 pm 

Age, location, profession, eBay ID?

28, Germany, student...

Is your main twisty puzzles interest solving, collecting, building, or something else?

I really like to solve puzzles, that's why all my puzzles have "lost" their packaging.
Of course I'm interested in collecting too.

How long have you been doing the above? If (like most of us) you lost touch with the field for a while, tell us the story! How did you get dragged back in?

Got my first cubes in the early eighties, though they were not really mine but the cubes of my older brothers. I occupied them as soon as they laid them down. ;)
I was not able to solve them, but were fascinated by the unlimited amount of patterns and the fact that it seems impossible to solve. (I was about 5 at that time)
A few years later the Rubik's Magic hit the market and became my all time favourite toy. (Lego not counting as a single toy)
A friend of mine also had one of those and we build shapes and solved it the whole day. It was at that time that I came back to the cube, only to see that I'm still far away from solving it.
Other puzzles came along my way, Rubik's Rabbits, Maze and the Clock. I liked those also but did not have the money to buy them. Some friends of mine agreed to have a kind of "puzzle exchange".
One bought the Clock, another the Rabbits, I had the Magic and so on. Even with no more investment than the price of only one puzzle, everyone of us had the opportunity to play with the whole range of existing Rubik's puzzles.
Several Magic were destroyed over the years, serveral new were bought, but after the fourth or fifth my fascination cooled down.
Other things became more important and I was left with no puzzles.

Around 1996 memories flooded my brain. "There was this folding puzzle. You must buy one, again!" ;)
I'm not good at arguing with my own brain so I decided to buy a magic, to get back a part of my childhood.
But there were no Magics,...nowhere.
I asked in all shops within range. No Magic.
Frustrated and disappointed I stopped searching for it, and buried the hope to get my childhood back.

But in 1997 it was back. Finally I could buy a new magic. I was satisfied. Really satisfied? No. It was RED. Why?
Red or not, the folding could begin. It was great to play with it again.
But I was not really back into puzzling. Still more important things.

2 years ago my uncle came to me with a box full of Vario Diskys. Those little disks while not that great than the puzzles I knew gave me this good feeling when you try to solve an unknown puzzle.
Still not "really" back into puzzling. Babysteps forward...

Last year I saw a guy at the university playing around with the cube.
And...SOLVING that damn unsolvable thing. ;)
It was really fascinating to watch.
On my trip to the netherlands a few month later I saw the cube in a shop. Cube, Childhood, Rubik's in general, Vario Disky, the guy at the university...the puzzle parts of my brain took control again.
I had to buy a cube myself, to solve the puzzle that seemed unsolvable to me 20 years earlier.

There were the cube, the magic and the Vario Diskys, and it felt somewhat good to have the toys of my childhood back again.
But some were missing.
Rubik's Rabbits.
Rubik's Maze.
Rubik's Clock.
Rubik's Magic Master Edition.
I knew that I needed them. ;)
Almighty ebay told me that over the years many things had changed.
Rabbits and Maze are rare items...?? Impossible. Every child had at least one of those.
Unbelievable. Master Edition that expensive...?? Damn.

At least I could buy a Clock. One item less to get.
While I waited to perhaps get one of those for a lot less - still waiting -, some other items managed to become part of my collection.
So I became a puzzle collector accidently while wating for the toys of my childhood. ;)

Still waiting...so my collection will steady grow.

How many puzzles are in your collection? Would you dare estimate how much it's worth?

Only 16 + 2 books. And because I own no rare item it's not worth that much.
But it will grow over the next years.

How would you define the "boundaries" of your collection? In other words, which types of puzzles do you collect, and which puzzles do you avoid?

I collect only Rubik like puzzles, twisty puzzles, permutation puzzles, whatever name you want to give them.
I'm not really interested in "take-apart" puzzles, or anything like that. The time you know the trick they become boring.

Which one of your puzzles is the sentimental favourite and why?

Rubik's Magic.
Because it was the first puzzle I mastered and was able to solve without help.

What is your favourite puzzle overall for: a) solving, b) appearance, c) feel, d) complexity, e) other reasons.

a) 3x3x3, because of the many ways you can solve it.
b) Rubik's Magic, Dogic
c) 3x3x3
d) Brainball
e) Rubik's Magic Master Edition - It was in my childhood always the unreachable big brother of my beloved magic.

Enough about puzzles. Do you have any other hobbies?

I love Martial Arts and I'm even a member of the german Ju Jutsu national team.
Playing the guitar was my favourite hobby for years, but after I quit my band it is not as tempting as before, but still music is very important for me. (Death Metal)
There are some other hobbys like tablesoccer, table top strategy games, ...

Last edited by Q on Wed May 31, 2006 8:18 am, edited 4 times in total.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 365 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next